• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions regarding vegetarianism

Erienne

Anime high :D
Yes, yes, you have very good points there.

But, its easer to get you protien fix from meat than other sources.

Fish is probably the only meat we should be eating large amounts of.

None of this is going to stop me from eating cows.

Fish, eh. I eat shrimp because they literally are the cockroaches of the sea, and since I kill bugs when they enter my house at night and can't get rid of them, I don't see why eating shrimp is wrong. Fish is healthier to eat than red meat, but the problem is a lot of our waters are polluted, ergo the fish are polluted too.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
While vegetables are alive they don't think so there is nothing wrong with killing them.
By that logic, it would be okay to kill at least three-quarters of SPPf's user base.

Besides, how do you know plants can't think? If sunflowers can't think how do they know where the sun is shining from?

Ohhh, just poked a massive hole in your argument. Oh well.

We can eat meat but it is proven that if you chose not to, you will be less sussepitble to diesease and will live longer. As it is not neccesary to eat meat, I think we'd be better off not eating meat as we can live longer, healthier lives as well as avoiding all the other side effects of producing meat. An example would be crops such as soya being grown in less developed countries to be fed to cattle to make beef for 50 people whereas if the the soya was fed directly to humans then it could feed 500 people (stats aren't meant to be accurate, just making a point)
Okay, prove and/or elaborate on the bold bits.

Last edited:

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
It's a choice that is up to the individual and solely the individual. Personally I love meat(no innuendo intended), and can't imagine myself without eating it. It's easy for me to imagine other people not eating meat since it is perfectly natural.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Besides, how do you know plants can't think? If sunflowers can't think how do they know where the sun is shining from?

I agree with the point but to answer the question it is a chemical in all plants that make them bend to the sun (can't remember which one biology was allways my weakest science.)

My opinion is that you can't live in this world without killing something to exist its just how it works even animals know that. I don't mind vegetarians but even if you are a vegetarian doesn't mean you haven't killed.
To me its not so much killing that is wrong but killing for no good reason is. If i need to eat to survive then I have no problem with eating human meat. I value human life just as much as an insects there is nothing special about humanity life over an insects life.

But if I was to value it i would value a human life to be more valuable as it is more useful alive than dead.

Sorry if i'm a bit hypocritical there, i'm a bit split and undecided about that issue.

But yeah nothing wrong vegitarians but i don't feel guilty in having to kill to survive as I have killed many times without realising it.

Erienne

Anime high :D
I agree with the point but to answer the question it is a chemical in all plants that make them bend to the sun (can't remember which one biology was allways my weakest science.)

My opinion is that you can't live in this world without killing something to exist its just how it works even animals know that. I don't mind vegetarians but even if you are a vegetarian doesn't mean you haven't killed.
To me its not so much killing that is wrong but killing for no good reason is. If i need to eat to survive then I have no problem with eating human meat. I value human life just as much as an insects there is nothing special about humanity life over an insects life.

But if I was to value it i would value a human life to be more valuable as it is more useful alive than dead.

Sorry if i'm a bit hypocritical there, i'm a bit split and undecided about that issue.

But yeah nothing wrong vegitarians but i don't feel guilty in having to kill to survive as I have killed many times without realising it.

Plants have rudimentary nervous systems, at best. They have photoreceptors in their leaves that sense the light, just like a camera. It doesn't make them think; it is just a function that allows them to best survive. In addition, the fruits coming off the plant are DESIGNED to be eaten, since they carry the seeds. It's a mode of transport, considering seeds can't be digested. So where does it go out? It lands in the fresh fecal matter of the animal, where it actually gets its nutrients from.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Fish, eh. I eat shrimp because they literally are the cockroaches of the sea, and since I kill bugs when they enter my house at night and can't get rid of them, I don't see why eating shrimp is wrong. Fish is healthier to eat than red meat, but the problem is a lot of our waters are polluted, ergo the fish are polluted too.

then try farm raised.

or, go the extra mile and catch them your self.
Shrimp is extra tasty grilled 8D

I don't see why eating shrimp is wrong, either.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Plants have rudimentary nervous systems, at best. They have photoreceptors in their leaves that sense the light, just like a camera. It doesn't make them think; it is just a function that allows them to best survive. In addition, the fruits coming off the plant are DESIGNED to be eaten, since they carry the seeds. It's a mode of transport, considering seeds can't be digested. So where does it go out? It lands in the fresh fecal matter of the animal, where it actually gets its nutrients from.
What about venus fly-traps?

I'm not convinced that the chemicals involved with these plants should be any less significant than the 'thoughts' animals have. Most animals, as far as we can observe, only act on basic instincts to allow them to survive.

Kitsune

This Place is Death.
I'm not a vegetarian.
Why, you ask? Because I strongly feel that it is a pathetic trend that has been blown WAY out of proportion.

I respect the vegetarians who really do it for the animals or for their own health, and I think it's a wonderful cause (unless you're bat$hit insane like PETA). However, I think that this new "omg I'm a cool scenef4g I don't eat meat" thing is way out of control.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
now, i think that humans were made 2 eat meat and veggies, but people have somehow started eating way 2 much meat and way not enough animals. i personally believe in vegetarianism, but as far as all people... nah, we should eat meat, but not as much as we do. more veggies, less cows. and more fruit, they be liek juicy candies ^.^

GS Fan

Advanced Trainer
I know you guys are in a heated debate :D , but here is my knowledge of the subject:

Animals and plants are both living creatures... unless you really prefer the color green over the color red, there is only the difference in taste, nutrients provided by the food, and source of where the food came from. So... essentially vegetarians do not like the taste of meat, the nutrients in meat (lol), where the meat came from, or all of the above. None of those reasons seem sufficient enough when those same reasons apply to eating a vegan diet.

Now, Not really on topic, but it is related: very recently, PETA was distributing "Unhappy meals" in front of McDonald's, which depicted Ronald with a bloody butcher knife. Despite handing these graphic meal boxes out to kids, they claim video games are the source of children's violence and hatred of animals, lol.
Read up if you'd like: http://www.examiner.com/x-15073-Boston-Wii-Examiner~y2009m8d7-PETA-takes-on-video-games

In case you did not know, PETA is the most extremist animal rights activist group there is, so it is related to this discussion :p
;491;

ZarraWolf

Eating meat is part of our nature. But I do disagree with the way production animals are bred and raised in my country, and most other developed countries. So I think it's perfectly fine that some people are vegetarians, although I myself would never give up on meat completely. (I have stopped eating pork, but chicken, turkey, cow, horse, goat, sheep, ostrich and deer are still on the menu.)

When I have enough room, I'm going to keep my own animals for food. (starting with chickens, and maybe larger animals later on) That way I can insure that they are well cared for before they die. Not only improving their lives, but also the quality of the meat.

To the vegetarians: Would you eat meat if it came from well-cared for, healthy animals?

P.s. Lol, cockroaches of the sea. That's exactly why I DON'T eat shrimp xD

TogeticTheRuler

What about venus fly-traps?

I'm not convinced that the chemicals involved with these plants should be any less significant than the 'thoughts' animals have. Most animals, as far as we can observe, only act on basic instincts to allow them to survive.

Venus fly-traps close when the sensitive hairs inside the 'mouth' that feel movement are touched, the plant doesnt close when it wants to.

And chemical reactions in plants are basically as significant as sweating in humans, you naturally sweat when its hot to balance out the temperature.
If biology is one of your weak subjects, why make bad assumptions?

ZarraWolf

One could argue that insects (perhaps snails and crustaceans as well) and plants have the same emotional level, and react solely on basic stimulation. I like insects and snails, but they don't seem to be capable of thought, emotion or problem solving of any kind. But mammals, birds, reptiles and even fish are way more aware of their life and surroundings then any plant could ever be.

If you think that all animals, other then humans, have no emotions and thought, you have obviously never looked at any animal for longer then a couple of seconds. I have had and cared for all sorts of animals, from snails to pigs, and most animals display complex behavior that requires thought and reasoning.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
One could argue that insects (perhaps snails and crustaceans as well) and plants have the same emotional level, and react solely on basic stimulation. I like insects and snails, but they don't seem to be capable of thought, emotion or problem solving of any kind. But mammals, birds, reptiles and even fish are way more aware of their life and surroundings then any plant could ever be.

If you think that all animals, other then humans, have no emotions and thought, you have obviously never looked at any animal for longer then a couple of seconds. I have had and cared for all sorts of animals, from snails to pigs, and most animals display complex behavior that requires thought and reasoning.

Yes, Plants actually are animals, as well as slugs and snails, though most people dont eat them. And Yes, Animals do have thoughts and feelings, even though we are not able to tell what they are saying or thinking, they still have emotion.

ZarraWolf

No chuboy, they are not aware, it's just a basic reaction system. They are more like machines, programmed for one basic task. They can't think about it, or do something else.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
No chuboy, they are not aware, it's just a basic reaction system. They are more like machines, programmed for one basic task. They can't think about it, or do something else.

Yes, its true that their reaction system and awareness is lower than a humans, so I guess you're right.

ZarraWolf

Plants are not animals. Animals are living beings that belong to the kingdom of Animalia, plants are living beings that belong to the kingdom of Plantae. Snails and slugs are animals, but they don't seem to be capable of emotion, reasoning, thought or feelings. Unlike mammals and birds, who do seem to be capable of all these things.

p.s. some species of snail are edible, and popular food in some countries. I keep African apple snails, they are popular as food, although I myself dislike the smell and the idea of eating one. From what I have heard, they taste similar to walnuts.

Last edited:

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Plants are not animals. Animals are living beings that belong to the kingdom of Animalia, plants are living beings that belong to the kingdom of Plantae. Snails and slugs are animals, but they don't seem to be capable of emotion, reasoning, thought or feelings. Unlike mammals and birds, who do seem to be capable of all these things.

p.s. some species of snail are edible, and popular food in some countries. I keep African apple snails, they are popular as food, although I myself dislike the smell and the idea of eating one. From what I have heard, they taste similar to walnuts.

Yes, snails are popular foods in some countries. However, why would a vegatarian eat snails if they come from the kingdom Animalia.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
Unless they communicate and think with a very different process of thought to us humans, because due to our incapable instruments we are unable to monitor and feedback any such data.

Any way, any living thing is and does use conscious thought. Perhaps not the same type of thought as us humans, but alive thinking all the same.

EDIT: Ri-Chan, depsite what people say, snails that you get in france are actually really nice. No, I'm serious, they do taste really nice. Might not look to good, but they just taste like garlic bread, only without the bread. Literally, and I'm being serious, - I know everyone says "oh they jsut taste like garlic, but they actually do - it jsut tastes like garlic bread, but your focusing more on the garlic part, and less on the bread. And, no, you don't eat the shell. ^^

Last edited: