• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I've got a few opinions here:
1)I wear mismatched socks because I have a bad habit of losing socks. This surprisingly annoys so many people where I live, it's insane! I get pestered for wearing mismatched socks. The thing is, I'm not going to throw out a perfectly good sock just because I can't find its match, I'll just pair it with another mismatched sock that also lost its pair. It's not like the socks are torn up, and therefore, no longer usable. They're just missing a pair! Ugh! This is actually starting to really annoy me that I get lectured for this!

My girlfriend does not own a single pair of matching socks. She actually purposefully buys them mismatched. No one is annoyed by it, since that's just how shes done it forever. People will get over it, cause they really shouldn't be annoyed by the socks YOU wear.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Hmm the few I have would be,

-When entering another's country or and area that's not your native language, learn their language before entering the country you are going to. I can't stand when folks come to a English speaking area that cannot speak English, but I also hate when I go to an area that speaks Spanish and cannot speak Spanish it in return. It's only fair, and that's why I haven't left this rock yet.

But it's hard to learn a new language... Now, imagjne if you have to learn one whenever you'll be visiting a new country?
It annoys me when they don't respect others people language, or don't do any search about it before going there.
I've seen several outsiders here, in Brazil, speaking spanish and wanting us to speak spanish, and they get angry when we say we don't speak it!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It annoys me when they don't respect others people language, or don't do any search about it before going there.
I've seen several outsiders here, in Brazil, speaking spanish and wanting us to speak spanish, and they get angry when we say we don't speak it!

I can't really blame them, but most people don't realize that there's a difference between the Spanish language between Mexico and Spain, and the fact half of South America actually speaks Portuguese (and even then there's differences in dialect). But luckily, when languages share similarities, it's a bit more easier to learn it. It just takes practice and patience, and most people unfortunately don't have patience and the perseverance. But yeah, research definitely helps to prevent embarrassments like that.

So, for the past three days, I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. Avid anime fans/watchers will have seen the anime at some point, and I figured now was the perfect time for me to see it. I only knew of it through reviews and people briefly talking about it, and it tended to all go over my head. I've also mostly heard nothing but words of frustration toward the series, and so it's one of the most polarizing anime out there with the ending in mind--you either love it or hate it.

Well... I do see why it is there are movies to give it a "better" ending, so I hear. But what I saw, I actually did like.

The story's very interesting, no doubt about it. The characters, who are the driving force of that story, are in-between for me. I have no emotional connection toward them whatsoever; however, I enjoyed watching them. They're not perfect characters, they all have problems and they never get over it (it actually gets worse for them). But you do see the changes in them, even though it wasn't for the best for them. The ending of the television series throws off a lot of people, and that's where most of the ragey moments come from. But I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't really come out of nowhere, to be honest, because the questions Shinji and the others ask themselves and argue over are questions they've had over the course of the 26 episodes, they just refuse to or more accurately can't make themselves confront it and overcome it. At the end, they're broken people, and they stay broken. The ending all takes place in their minds, we don't see them physically interacting with the real world at all. So I personally believe that Shinji may have come to those conclusions, but he hasn't implemented them.

It's easier said than done, as they say.

I also did not find it as disturbing/nightmarish as people have said. I'm sure with time, it'll all sink in eventually, but as of right now, nothing's making go "OH GOD WHY" (except for the thought of there possibly being a "First Impact"). As for all of those deep, philosophical/psychological/existential moments that everyone's basically all pointed out by now, I don't exactly see them. I may be smart, but I don't consider myself an intellectual in those areas, but I like reading around on subjects, so I'll eventually come to my own conclusion about what I think and feel about it. I got a lot of thoughts running through my head the last few episodes, of course, but they're hard to write down and call upon willingly since it came and went during those episodes. Only thing I can really think of is the thought of existence and what makes an individual exist, but that's probably one of many interpretations since it was pretty much left up to the viewer.

Oh yeah, as for the characters, I did not find any of them annoying. Yes, even Shinji. Their behaviors are basically justified given what they went through, and it's very difficult to mend broken minds because of how easy it is for us to lie to ourselves and believe in those lies. Or at least that's one part of it. Really, everything they went through I believe can and does happen to actual people, but these characters went through a more exaggerated form of it.

So for now, my non-mainstream opinion on this controversial show is I like it--well, more like a "love-hate relationship" in a way. This may or may not change once I see the movies, however.

arized

#hsb
I think taking photos of people without them knowing and posting them online is creepy. It's especially weird when the poster makes fun of the subject in the photo.

Accordingly, I find passive aggressive posts that mock other people infuriating.

Self-proclamation of "nerd" or "geek" status makes my blood boil. I was made fun of for being smarter than most of my peers through school and having passions that involved video games and even reading. Even if other people did it, they hid it and made fun of those that were open about it.

I don't like the usage of the word "gay" to define homosexuality because I was also bullied using that word a lot as I grew older. I have a hard time accepting my own sexual identity because of it.

Goldeneye N64 sucks.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I can't really blame them, but most people don't realize that there's a difference between the Spanish language between Mexico and Spain, and the fact half of South America actually speaks Portuguese (and even then there's differences in dialect). But luckily, when languages share similarities, it's a bit more easier to learn it. It just takes practice and patience, and most people unfortunately don't have patience and the perseverance. But yeah, research definitely helps to prevent embarrassments like that.

If some could at least take it easy. As I said, I've meet a lot which were angry.
I mean, it's likely you'll be surprised about something you thought it was right, but it really isn't, all because you didn't gave a deep thought to it. Besides, we're educated enough to teel them the truth, than speaking "Portunhol" (Portuguese+Spanish), which isn't right.

Nightblind249

@Kutie Pie and Akanjão

Maybe I should clarify a bit, I know bit's a pieces of different languages, enough to get me by in a pinch if needed. But what I should of said was learn enough to get by in day to day. Pleasantries, directions, numbers, and your left and right (still confuse me in Spanish, so does up and down) those kinds of things. I know people who are frown upon non native speakers of their language because they prefer to talk in their own language and expect us to know what their saying and vies a versa. So long as you show you try to communicate and don't assume you'll be fine. You may even end up with a friend, that you can learn the language from. It's more about being open minded. I work in an environment with different cultures and languages as a ever day thing and it lets me pick things up here or there. But thing again to each their own, it's your opinion. I don't judge.

so many edits due to grammar (its bad today)

Last edited:

Slowy

New and Improved
-I don't care much for hip-hop or rap, most pop, modern rock, contemporary country, or dance. (On the other hand, I really like older country, rhythm and blues, jazz, easy listening, and blues and don't mind classic rock and roll, folk, bluegrass, classical, disco, etc.)
-I consider Charlie Rich and Ronnie Milsap to be two of the greatest artists of all time, whilst not getting the big deal about the Beatles (no offense to the group's fans, of course).
-Reading and research to me are very important; many from my generation and after don't seem to believe this, and I think everyone should at least try.

Those are just samplers of where I stand, mind you.

master3019

Me gusta Flygon
I got some stuff that's controversial.

- Pop culture is stupid (although that is likely the view most people on this forum share)
- I'm staunch advocate of libertarianism

And ... everything I had is forgotten now. That's great.

Skydra

Hmmm... I don't think that communism is necessarily a terrible form of government, it just that the forms of communism that became most influential in the world were not implemented well. For example, Russian Communism has many differences with Marxism (original communist theory), and the USSR is the most common example of why communism is bad. For example, communism is meant to be classless, but power was centralized with a ruling class in the USSR.

I also don't think we should label everyone who does something wrong as "an *******" or other swears indicating a terrible person. Online communities seem most guilty of this (Reddit specifically).

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
There's one thing I've been wanting to get off my chest for a while.

I think Homestuck is extremely over-rated. I could only sit through the thing until Act 5 before I got so bored I just could not finish it. I'm shocked I was able to make it that far because I was getting so impatient with that web comic that I began skipping so many pages that I deemed unimportant. Everything that had happened in that web comic, my friend could have just summarized it for me rather than me wasting hours of my time on it. Even then, though some concepts were interesting, I wasn't a huge fan of the plot. It's just... I'm a really picky person and I just wasn't enjoying it enough for me to continue it.

If I offended anyone then I am terribly sorry. If you like Homestuck then I'm alright with that because that's your opinion.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
Cool, I might as well get this off my chest.

Usually I have no problem with Hollywood being such a melting pot of drama and celebrities exuding their beliefs for people to admire them. But there's one celebrity I can't stand at all, no matter how hard she tries to win the entire world over; that celebrity is none other than Jennifer Lawrence.

Sure there are qualities about her that make her endearing, but in the end it's all for the intention of gaining recognition. She's seems nice and quirky, but if she really had values to live for, she wouldn't be parroting them to the audience like free candy on Halloween. The fact that she hasn't really said anything genuinely remarkable doesn't prove that she's remarkable as a celebrity; c'mon now, actors know better than to talk about things like "peeing on set", "butt plugs", and other more suggestive things. This is as much an act of pride as Kanye West's usual to-do list for infamy, making her so mainstream and detestable in my eyes. She's as pervasive on the Internet as Miley Cyrus' tongue...

I don't care if you disagree, after all this is an "unpopular opinions" thread. I'd much rather find a mild - mannered actress to admire than be a sheep amongst the herd of Jennifer Lawrence's followers.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I don't care about new movies, or actresses or actors at all. Really, if I know one, he must be really popular.
Also, I don't like pop music! And I hate things like Britney, Ke$ha, Madonna and such.
Also, Lorde's music isn't all that great. Really, Royals does have a nice lyrics, but it's only that. I hate "Team" and I don't give anything to "Bravado". Her voice is good and all, but I don't understans why people like her.

vshucklev

1) I hate Pewdiepie with a passion.
2) I actually like Gorillaz.
3) Generation 5 is the best generation, and gen 1 sucks.

Other that I don't have many other unpopular opinions.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I had another two come to me today.

I'm very much against censorship. All art, be it a game, movie, show, sculpture, book, song, poem, music video, and so fourth should be able to be shown in the form it was meant to be shown.

I also hate parents who say video games cause violence. That's just dumb and has 0 backing to it. It just sounds like something for parents to blame for their possibly **** job at raising a kid.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Dragoniss said:
I also hate parents who say video games cause violence. That's just dumb and has 0 backing to it. It just sounds like something for parents to blame for their possibly **** job at raising a kid.

It's a idiot thing to say, really. How would a game influence some derp kid to kill someone and such? I've played some really eh games and never tried to jump on my mom's head, haha!

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I just realized that critics and general public apparently liked Frankenweenie??? Geez I hate that movie sooooooooooo much. It's the most glaring example I've ever seen of art over substance and a plot that doesn't even try to be interesting. It was boring, predictable and deeply unsatisfying.

Oh, and Tangled It's overrated as hell. Also it shamalessly stole things from the Shreck series.

On a more positive note, Megamind is the most underrated movie I can think of. It deserved to be celebrated a lot more.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

It's also because the media didn't want to admit that there are individuals out there who are mentally unstable, and that there's a lack of proper background checks on people purchasing firearms (the two issues go hand-in-hand sometimes), so they needed a scapegoat (and they still do even after all that's come out in recent months). I remember there's a story not too long ago where an eight/nine-year-old boy shot his grandmother, and the media was quick to point out he was playing either Grand Theft Auto or another M-rated game. (Which also points to bad parenting because they allowed their kid to play those games without supervision--whether it was the parent's game or they bought it for their child.) But I call bull that the video game was what caused the kid to get a loaded gun (that probably wasn't locked away) and kill his grandmother. I don't think the full story was ever released, but I think he got mad at her for whatever reason. But nope, they had to point fingers at a game he shouldn't have been playing to begin with.

On a more positive note, Megamind is the most underrated movie I can think of. It deserved to be celebrated a lot more.

Yeah, Megamind is pretty underrated for a DreamWorks' film (though I think it's mostly because it went up against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1 and Tangled). But so is The Incredibles (to an extent, probably not as underrated as A Bugs' Life), and that deserves a sequel more-so than Cars and Finding Nemo.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Oh, and Tangled It's overrated as hell. Also it shamalessly stole things from the Shreck series.

To be fair, Shrek shamelessly stole a LOT of tropes and things from common fairy tales and disney. Nostalgia critic actually explains it very well. And Shrek wasn't the first to do jokes like that either. Most movies take ideas from other moves and roll with it, it's really not uncommon.

Agree with Megamind though!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
To be fair, Shrek shamelessly stole a LOT of tropes and things from common fairy tales and disney. Nostalgia critic actually explains it very well.

It did, but I think what made it more unique/fresh was because it was a parody/comedy/take-that at Disney while also turning those tropes on their head and turned some inside-out. (I probably parroted what NC said unintentionally, but considering he didn't like the first one and preferred the first sequel...) Hoodwinked! did the same thing at least with the "Red Riding Hood" fairy tale--and maybe some things better than Shrek, but you don't hear a lot of people talking about that movie, sadly. There's quite a number of great underrated/under-appreciated movies from our youth, aren't there? (The sequel sucked, wasn't worth the five-year wait.)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well, Florida State winning the BCS title on Monday has re-ignited the debate over Native American nicknames in sports. FSU uses Seminoles as its nickname.

In the NCAA, my stance is that such nicknames should result in sanctions in all sports against these particular schools, which would include postseason bans and scholarship cuts among other penalties. Normally I am against banning college teams from the postseason, but to do it to force nickname changes upon schools like Florida State and Utah (who uses Utes) should be necessary. The NCAA should stop caring that some of these nicknames are approved by the tribes that are being appropriated.

As far as nickname changes in pro sports goes for teams like the Washington Redskins, I think that the various television partners of the affected sports leagues should refuse to televise games involving such teams unless the nicknames were changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.