• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!

Sephora

yes I'm back
I'm at NY right now, and this big city made me realize my biggest unpopular opinion: I hate technology.

Me, too. I much prefer times before technology when life was so much simpler (and healthier).

Lunar-Kuto

Go on, smile!
Here's one that I'm starting to notice.

I don't get 'The Big Bang Theory'. Now, I like to think that I'm a bit of a geek, and for the most part, I understand the humor and the jokes... But it just feels forced. Maybe it's just me, or I should try and watch more of it, but I just don't see how this show got so popular.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm at NY right now, and this big city made me realize my biggest unpopular opinion: I hate technology.

I can believe that. Technology is amazing, and it's always improving, but I don't like some of it. I in particular hate how everything's going digital, especially when it comes to books. It's ridiculous that it's getting more and more acceptable to have a digital copy of a book instead of a physical book. For one thing, most of us can't afford to buy a Kindle or a tablet in general, and books will always be cheap compared to that. It's also much more satisfying to hold up a book with your own two hands instead of some machinery that if you accidentally drop it, it breaks, or you push a button on accident so you delete the e-book you were reading (I don't know how a Kindle works in that regard). The worst that happens to your book is an accidental rip that you can use tape for, or it comes into contact with water that you have to blow-dry, but it typically doesn't happen. Also, it's less straining on the eyes to read it on a page than from a flat screen. And I don't know how hot the Kindle gets, either, so I imagine it would get irritating to be reading something and feel the heat increase on your lap/hands.

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
I can believe that. Technology is amazing, and it's always improving, but I don't like some of it. I in particular hate how everything's going digital, especially when it comes to books. It's ridiculous that it's getting more and more acceptable to have a digital copy of a book instead of a physical book. For one thing, most of us can't afford to buy a Kindle or a tablet in general, and books will always be cheap compared to that. It's also much more satisfying to hold up a book with your own two hands instead of some machinery that if you accidentally drop it, it breaks, or you push a button on accident so you delete the e-book you were reading (I don't know how a Kindle works in that regard). The worst that happens to your book is an accidental rip that you can use tape for, or it comes into contact with water that you have to blow-dry, but it typically doesn't happen. Also, it's less straining on the eyes to read it on a page than from a flat screen. And I don't know how hot the Kindle gets, either, so I imagine it would get irritating to be reading something and feel the heat increase on your lap/hands.

The kindles I have seen are very nicely designed, don't get hot and don't have backlighting so your eyes don't get strained. I agree about it being nicer holding a book though, and I love having them around the house, however I think there are plenty of advantages to using kindle in the long run, some of which are sustainability (generating billions of books takes a lot of material, which essentially means a lot of tree chopping), ease of transport (which means less CO2 release) and ease of carrying around if you're a student needing to travel for instance, and you don't want to carry a dozen thick bricks with you everywhere.
I wouldn't want to see kindles replacing books but complement them :)

I'm glad technology is advancing the way it is, but I think it's easy to get too sucked into it and spend too much time on the computer instead of outside for example. I have quite a few friends who consciously avoid social media and such and they seem fairly happy about that. But it doesn't change the fact that so much of their surroundings and the media etc are still focused on it...

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Do you have an opinion that few will agree with and that most people won't like? Post 'em here.

The title of this thread caught my eye, and I read through a few pages expecting genuine opinions that were close to crossing the line of offence, opinions that were morally and ethically grey. Not "I don't like Charizard!" or "I think celery is yummy!". I had a few thoughts and opinions I was going to share, but I really don't think they'd be welcome in this thread because its highly probable you will not like them.

teamaquagrunt

The title of this thread caught my eye, and I read through a few pages expecting genuine opinions that were close to crossing the line of offence, opinions that were morally and ethically grey. Not "I don't like Charizard!" or "I think celery is yummy!". I had a few thoughts and opinions I was going to share, but I really don't think they'd be welcome in this thread because its highly probable you will not like them.

I hope you decide to post them anyway..they're still valid opinions!

hmm so basically most of my opinions are unpopular but I'll give it a shot..

- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series is the best pokemon series, much better than anime and mainstream games
- PMD Gates to Infinity is awesome!
- I like main characters with some sort of edge to them, not just some selfless hero who saves the world. But someone who maybe gets irritated and acts like a kid (like Tales of the Abyss Luke until he cuts his hair) or someone who is sarcastic and aggressive (Pokemon, Hoenn Ash). Someone who doesn't always do the right thing and has flaws
-I hate romances in movies, anime, books, games where the main couple meets and bickers all the time and then ends up to be passionate lovers. I think they're headed for divorce.
-The show "Friends" is not funny
-I hate when anime seems good but then just becomes harem/fan-servicey (Sword Art Online, No Game No Life)
-When people over-glorify a character that I genuinely like and worship them, so that if you mention a flaw that the character actually has, it's regarded as "hate"
-When fans ignore actual criticisms and analyses of games or shows and regard it as "hate," because they will accept whatever the writers decide to throw at them
- When things are over-hyped and you see it everywhere, and when they take good parts of a show/movie and then turn it into a meme. I actually thought Frozen was ok, but the memes made me so annoyed
-Villains have justifiable reasons for being villains, there is no clear "good" or "evil"

That's all I can think of for now..

cinderkitteh

Pretteh Kitteh Khat
Here's one that a lot of people on here won't like: I cannot stand most anime. I think it's weird and that the characters look unrealistic. I guess I can handle the Pokémon series since its pretty Americanized, but most animes are so odd to me.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Haven't swung by the Miscellaneous board in a while; I missed it.

Anyhow, some Pokémon opinions:

- I loved pretty much everything that XY introduced (customization, Mega Evolution, Fairy-types, etc.) and I really enjoyed the story and characters; XY are now my second-favorite games (after B2W2). The lack of new Pokémon didn't bother me because I thought that it was the smartest move possible (for a number of reasons), and the lack of post-game content didn't bother me either because they put so much effort into the mechanical aspects that I couldn't really ask for more out of a console's first venture.
- The Gym Leaders having uniformly three Pokémon and the Elite Four having four since BW does not bother me in the slightest.
- I care about the plot and continuity of the Pokémon games and worry that ORAS are going to mess it up.
- I like the redesigns of Team Aqua and Team Magma (yes, even Tabitha).
- Clay is the coolest Gym Leader.

And some non-Pokémon opinions:

- I believe that free will does not truly exist and that we and everything else in existence are all just the "links" of a cosmically-long "chain" of causes and effects.
- Humans as a whole are a vile species and they are ruining this otherwise-wonderful planet. Earth and all other creatures deserve far better. However, I recognize that many good individual humans do exist.
- Sex fascinates me scientifically and artistically, and I think that the censorship of naked bodies (especially female breasts) is absurd. I learned about girl parts from a dictionary when I was about six, and I came out (relatively) okay.
- Mashed potatoes serve as a fantastic dipping sauce for chicken.
- Firefly was good series, but it was not God's gift to television.
- I have absolutely zero interest in watching Game of Thrones. Not that I assume it is bad, I just don't care.
- True Blood is highly underrated.
- I place absolutely no significant value on traditions of any kind, and I only indulge the few that I do for my own personal fun.
- I believe that psychic abilities exist to some degree.
- I took French instead of Spanish in middle and high school. (Where I am from, that was considered a hugely unpopular decision for most.)

Ray Koya

Later Losers
I prefer to be a "gaming geek" over acting like a thug and trying to be cool. It's just not worth the effort to try and act tough and try so hard to get noticed by "the cool kids".

T5000X

Indivijul
This thread is full of popular or semi-popular opinions that many like.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
All right then, lets start off with the one I expect will cause the most issues.

I don't think we should be sending any aid to 3rd world countries, especially Africa. We should stop sending medication and food, and stop building wells and sources of clean water. The only thing we should be providing is contraception. Constantly sending these things to a people in the most dire poverty is not helping them, it is hindering them. We've been sending food and medication and everything for decades now, and it doesn't seem to be making the damndest bit of difference. In the animal kingdom (which we are a part of, biologically), a weak species evolves and adapts, or it dies out. A creature faced with starvation finds new means to survive. One faced with drought finds new means to survive. Those that don't find new ways, die, and are replaced by those that do.

This leads into my next point. We should stop saving so many lives. Some humans should be left to die. Be they premature babies, people who have had life destroying accidents, and people that are too old to continue living on their own (without medical intervention I mean, not that they can't go to the toilet without help). This planet is already overpopulated, and its resources are finite. 50 years ago, it wasn't as bad. Why? Because medical technology hadn't advanced to where it is now. 50 years ago, they couldn't save some lives. Now, lives that would have been lost are being 'saved'. It may sound cruel and heartless, but I am looking at the bigger picture here, the entire planet not the single person.

And some things that aren't quite as in your face:

I'm Pro-Choice, and I think anyone who isn't shouldn't be allowed be procreate, they should be forced by law to adopt. Don't like abortion? Do something about all the kids who need loving parents then.

I'm against Gay Marriage in Churches. I'm a gay man, and I all am for same-sex Marriage. But unless you and/or your partner are practising, church going Christians, why would you want it in a church? From a religion where its holy book basically admonishes your entire lifestyle.

When I die, stick me in a cardboard box, bury me in a field and then have a party. To hell with the pomp and circumstance, Im dead why should I care about a big rock above my head?

I don't support this generation of the armed forces, and I certainly don't think they deserve to be called heroes.

Swearing isn't a big deal, and neither is being insulted. I was bullied in school, I was called some horrible things. I learnt to ignore it. Now I don't get offended by anything. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". This is the little rhyme we are tuaght as children because 'timmy called me fat' in school. Yet you become an adult and all of a sudden it's court cases and discrimination. Grow a pair.

I genuinely have no time for people who can't sit back and listen to an opinion without forcing their views into it because they think its wrong.

I think the fact that you are all concerned with your opinions about cartoons and mashed potatoes upsetting people is the really upsetting thing about this thread. Get some opinions about real issues.

There. That's me done. I hope some of you are offended and didn't like that. I'm pretty sure that's what this thread was meant to be about.

Last edited:

Ryuken

Steel User
All right then, lets start off with the one I expect will cause the most issues.

I don't think we should be sending any aid to 3rd world countries, especially Africa. We should stop sending medication and food, and stop building wells and sources of clean water. The only thing we should be providing is contraception. Constantly sending these things to a people in the most dire poverty is not helping them, it is hindering them. We've been sending food and medication and everything for decades now, and it doesn't seem to be making the damndest bit of difference. In the animal kingdom (which we are a part of, biologically), a weak species evolves and adapts, or it dies out. A creature faced with starvation finds new means to survive. One faced with drought finds new means to survive. Those that don't find new ways, die, and are replaced by those that do.

This leads into my next point. We should stop saving so many lives. Some humans should be left to die. Be they premature babies, people who have had life destroying accidents, and people that are too old to continue living on their own (without medical intervention I mean, not that they can't go to the toilet without help). This planet is already overpopulated, and its resources are finite. 50 years ago, it wasn't as bad. Why? Because medical technology hadn't advanced to where it is now. 50 years ago, they couldn't save some lives. Now, lives that would have been lost are being 'saved'. It may sound cruel and heartless, but I am looking at the bigger picture here, the entire planet not the single person.

And some things that aren't quite as in your face:

I'm Pro-Choice, and I think anyone who isn't shouldn't be allowed be procreate, they should be forced by law to adopt. Don't like abortion? Do something about all the kids who need loving parents then.

I'm against Gay Marriage in Churches. I'm a gay man, and I all am for same-sex Marriage. But unless you and/or your partner are practising, church going Christians, why would you want it in a church? From a religion where its holy book basically admonishes your entire lifestyle.

When I die, stick me in a cardboard box, bury me in a field and then have a party. To hell with the pomp and circumstance, Im dead why should I care about a big rock above my head?

I don't support this generation of the armed forces, and I certainly don't think they deserve to be called heroes.

Swearing isn't a big deal, and neither is being insulted. I was bullied in school, I was called some horrible things. I learnt to ignore it. Now I don't get offended by anything. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". This is the little rhyme we are tuaght as children because 'timmy called me fat' in school. Yet you become an adult and all of a sudden it's court cases and discrimination. Grow a pair.

I genuinely have no time for people who can't sit back and listen to an opinion without forcing their views into it because they think its wrong.

I think the fact that you are all concerned with your opinions about cartoons and mashed potatoes upsetting people is the really upsetting thing about this thread. Get some opinions about real issues.

There. That's me done. I hope some of you are offended and didn't like that. I'm pretty sure that's what this thread was meant to be about.

I actually agree with most of your points, though there are some things you are missing, helping people in other countries is not because they like helping, but rather to just create a.. "political link" between the two countries. It gives them "points" and something to hold on / ask for help when it is required.

And i doubt this thread is about offending people, it is more like a place to "let it out".

UnitRico

So, what would you say to the idea of the "give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime" sort of help?

As for the rest, I can't really help but think they're completely rational and well thought out ideas.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
First two points

I'm actually kind of with you on these.

Also, I'm no expert, but doesn't keeping people alive longer through medicine have negative consequences as well in that it allows viruses and other sicky such to grow more resistant over time? Well, assuming that my assessment is correct, that's just another point in favor of your second. Prolonging life is a noble but short-sighted aim.

Check, check, check, and check, although personally I would prefer to be cremated.

I'm not really offended, exactly (and I think that Ryuken is right in that the goal here is more "express your unpopular opinions," not "offend people with your unpopular opinions," but that'd be a question for the OP, really), especially since I agree with a lot of what you say. Personally, I just don't think that every opinion has to be about a serious or world-relevant issue. We likely all have opinions on those and, well, for me anyway, hearing nothing but those all the time can be rather depressing. There can be valuable opinions about fun subjects too.

I'm not trying to tell you what to think, of course. That's just my take on it.

Last edited:

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
The thing about being insulted is words do hurt and certain can really hurt a person so telling them to grow a pair doesn't help them in the slightest.

UnitRico

The thing about being insulted is words do hurt and certain can really hurt a person so telling them to grow a pair doesn't help them in the slightest.

While I can understand both sides of the issue/argument, going into a thread called "Opinions that most people won't like" and then complaining about how offended you are is at the very least a bit silly.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
While I can understand both sides of the issue/argument, going into a thread called "Opinions that most people won't like" and then complaining about how offended you are is at the very least a bit silly.

Oh I wasn't offended I was just stating my own opinion.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
This leads into my next point. We should stop saving so many lives. Some humans should be left to die. Be they premature babies,
I have to stop you there and you're right, I don't agree with this. If you're looking at the bigger picture, why are you against saving babies that we don't know what they'll grow up to be? Sure, they might turn out to be a criminal or something, but they might end up being the scientist that discovers the cure for cancer or another great achievement. We don't know. Why punish them, and potentially all of mankind, for something beyond the baby's control? You don't honestly mean to tell me that we should not be giving life to premature babies just because they happened to be born a little early? Would you really call it a waste of resources to save a life that didn't even have a chance to live? Just because a baby is born prematurely does not mean that their life was "saved" (emphasis on the quotation marks), that they are living a horrible life. Wanna know how I know? I was born prematurely. Nineteen and a half years later, my life is great. You mean to tell me that my life wasn't worth saving? I don't know about you, but I've made it my purpose in life to make a change for the better (in regards to environmental/animal conservation), so don't you tell me that a baby shouldn't be allowed to live because they were born prematurely. Babies are vessels of unlimited potential. For the betterment of humanity, we should let as many babies live as we can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.