• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikings

Oracle
People that have committed suicide from physical/mental bullying either in person or online would say otherwise... :(
Cyber bullying is an extension of regular bullying. Kids that get bullied often only escape it when they come home from school and are in the safety of their own home. Once they get involved with social media the bullying can continue online no matter where they are. If certain people have the opinion that a kid is ugly and bully him/her about it, did that person decide how he/she would look at birth? If someone has a mental illness and gets picked on for it, did that person get that illness on purpose? I know that you were just giving your opinion, but I can't see in any way shape or form how when someone is being bullied that it's the victims fault.

Let me rephrase the cyber bullying part...I don't think it's as much of an issue as much as many people say. People are mean, I get it, but the internet isn't for people who aren't emotionally stable or for people that get upset over hollow insults or threats.

As for the second part, I'm not trying to promote bullying or anything, but a lot (not all) of people do make themselves a target. The mental illness example is highly circumstantial and why I said most and not all. Maybe most was a bit of a stretch though.

I respect that you see it differently however, which I expected by posting what I said in this thread. I've just been raised to teach myself how to be emotionally stable and self-reliant, so it's hard for me to get that some people are so emotionally unstable that they destroy their lives over some insults.

pokemasta92

Let me rephrase the cyber bullying part...I don't think it's as much of an issue as much as many people say. People are mean, I get it, but the internet isn't for people who aren't emotionally stable or for people that get upset over hollow insults or threats.

As for the second part, I'm not trying to promote bullying or anything, but a lot (not all) of people do make themselves a target. The mental illness example is highly circumstantial and why I said most and not all. Maybe most was a bit of a stretch though.

I respect that you see it differently however, which I expected by posting what I said in this thread. I've just been raised to teach myself how to be emotionally stable and self-reliant, so it's hard for me to get that some people are so emotionally unstable that they destroy their lives over some insults.
Unfortunately it's not as simple as some insults because when inappropriate pictures/videos start going around it can cause extreme embarrassment and depression. Although as you said before, people make themselves a target and this is a perfect example of that. People shouldn't be mean, but it's their fault they have something to be mean about. Still terrible nonetheless, but it could have been prevented if that person didn't set themselves up for it. It's good that you are self-reliant and stable and more people need to be the same way so bullying doesn't ruin their lives.

-Pit bulls (and other pit breeds) are inherently more dangerous than other dogs; so, all owners of a suspected pit bull breed should be required to have a special license or class training. Just like golden retrievers were made to retrieve, just like hounds were made to sniff, pit bulls were bred to cause massive damage on other dogs without being provoked. And because of the thug and gangster culture, they've been selectively bred to be even more dangerous than they were originally. Sometimes, to the point of attacking people. Look at the statistics of dog deaths and bites. Pit bull breeds are massively overrepresented in severe injury and death by dogs: Article Explaining Pit Bulls Do Deserve Negative Reputation
PDF Of Data of Dog Attacks

A lot of good dog owners who own pit bulls think legislation restricting pit bulls is incredibly unfair. But they'll also be the first ones to admit pit bulls are different than most dogs, and have the capacity to do massive damage if raised by the wrong owner. If pit bulls do require such care more than regular dogs, THAT'S why we need legislation making sure that if the owner isn't the right one, then the dog should be taken away before any damage is done. I do think a complete ban is unnecessary though.
This is one of the few informative things I've read about pit bulls so I thank you for that. People tend to simply say they're all evil or that they can all be nice in the hands of a good owner. Both opinions are wrong and I'm glad to see that you covered each. I'd like to give my opinion on the subject now.

I'm aware that every single breed of dog was originally bred for a specific purpose. They have been pets for a very long time, but this was not always their main use. I'm also aware that certain breeds, regardless of how well trained, are naturally more docile, aggressive, lazy, hyper, etc. All dogs are different and even though they are all suitable for being pets, some are easier to have and care for than others. With that being said, I do not believe there is such thing as an evil dog breed.

Pit bulls...people either love them or hate them. They are a very strong dog (lots of muscle, powerful wide jaw) and naturally, meaning regardless of how they were trained, are very dominate and protective. They tend to only get along with a few people, usually the owner and anyone else living in the household, and can be aggressive towards outsiders if not trained at a young age. Other animals are a different story. They are definitely not good with small pets such as cats or rabbits unless trained extremely well. When it comes to other dogs they also need training because of their natural dominance. If not trained well they tend to not get along and it's hit or miss if they do. It is possible for them to get along with other pets you might have if they were together for a few years, but I wouldn't let your brand new pit bull run free at a dog park... Of course that isn't how every single pit bull is. Some are better, some are worse, I'm just stating how things tend to be if you buy one and only give it basic training.

If someone gets a brand new pit bull puppy and trains it well, it will become a loving pet. However, as with any animal, regardless of how well trained, there is always a chance, no matter how slim, that the dog will "snap". Whether you played with it too rough, whatever the reason, it is possible. This is how pit bulls as well as other breeds are all different. I own a yellow lab, the undisputed most docile dog there is. When he was a puppy he had just as good of chance at being a good dog as a pit bull would if raised the same way from a young age. However the chance of the pit bull having a random moment of aggression is a lot more likely to happen than with a Labrador. That's just the way it is.

The biggest and saddest problem with pit bulls is that humans corrupt them. When you take a pit bull and train it its entire life to be aggressive and kill, then there is no going back. Like I've said before they aren't born evil, but because of their nature they can be trained that way a lot easier than other breeds. Their nature as well as their brute strength are the reason they are the main competitor in dog fights. These fighting dogs end up in the pound if they get loose or are no longer wanted by the owner and this is where it gets really sad. These pit bulls most likely will never be adopted. They have been trained to fight and kill since birth making them the farthest thing from what an ideal family pet should be. Us humans are the reason a lot of the pit bull population is evil. They may be more naturally strong and aggressive, they may be easier to train (in a bad way), but it is not the dogs fault.

Because of what we have done to them, many pit bulls have a "history" and because of this people are scared to adopt them. Even if they could have a new born, they don't because of the negative way they are viewed. This is why I agree with the legislation you speak of to make sure the dog will be with a good owner and that people are aware of any possibly aggressive dogs in the area. An pit bull puppy has the potential to be the perfect pet, people just need to be more open minded.

Last edited:

TrainerTerry

I don't like Sublime or Grateful Dead.

Emiko-Gale

~I liked All Grown Up better than Rugrats.
~I think the "Real men don't beat up woman" saying is a load of crock. If a man is being beaten to death by a woman he deserves to fight back. I even told one of my close friends who is male if there were ever a time where I would go violent towards him and put him in danger I encourage him to fight back.
~Something about cyberbullying being treated like an extreme problem makes me cringe.
~And the movie "Cyberbu//y" was totally stupid.
~I thought "Man of Steel" was disappointing.
~I think One Piece is UNDERRATED compared to Naruto and Bleach.

Vikings

Oracle
-I think people that give others negative rep in this thread are cowardly for not saying it directly to the person.

Probably doesnt fall under the "not mainstream" category, but seriously, that's what this thread is for. At least have the, uhm, genitalia to post like Pokemasta did. We differed in views, and handled it civilly and both respected each other. Judging someone's character based off of one view they have that they posted in a thread specifically made for controversial opinions is pathetic and ignorant.

/rant

-I don't think The Cleveland Show is as terrible as many people say. I find it better than Family Guy.
-Star Wars is slightly overrated, although I do respect the franchise. LOTR on the other hand I think is heavily overrated and I don't have much respect for it at all, although I'm fine if people choose to like and enjoy it.

Feeshy

muse of snark
-I hate Pikachu. The little mouse thingy is just so annoying. I mean, in the show it basically sits around saying "Pika pika!" and other things like that. If it's not doing that, it's one-hit KOing legendary Pokemon or being defeated by them, which then serves as a plot device. Really, Pikachu stinks.
-I also hate Ash. I don't know why, maybe because he's always such a perfect character... And I've only heard about the 1st movie, but apparently he died and them the "tears of sorrow" from all of the Pokemon magically brought him back to life. Wut.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Was reading through the Pixar thread and something else came to mind: I genuinely liked Cars and it's one of my favorite Pixar movies. I don't understand the hate it gets. On the other hand, Finding Nemo is probably my least favorite Pixar movie (note that I haven't seen Cars 2 or Planes); it just didn't really do anything for me. (I haven't seen it in many years though, so maybe I'd like it better now.)

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
~I think the "Real men don't beat up woman" saying is a load of crock. If a man is being beaten to death by a woman he deserves to fight back. I even told one of my close friends who is male if there were ever a time where I would go violent towards him and put him in danger I encourage him to fight back.

While I agree with you in the sense that I think we should replace the "violence against women is wrong" attitude with a "violence is wrong period." attitude, there is a social context to the attitude. Domestic violence (specifically by men against women since there are other types of domestic violence) is a big problem in society. The example you're presenting is a very extreme representation. Valid, but extreme none the less.

Is it mainstream to dislike instagram yet? I think it's the dumbest thing. You put a brown filter, make it blurry, and maybe put shadow frame around the picture and you think your picture is now awesome.

Newsflash, you just made your crappy picture even crappier.

Vikings

Oracle
Is it mainstream to dislike instagram yet? I think it's the dumbest thing. You put a brown filter, make it blurry, and maybe put shadow frame around the picture and you think your picture is now awesome.

Newsflash, you just made your crappy picture even crappier.

Agreed. As an aspiring photographer, it's annoying when morons think they're an expert simply from Instagram. Anyone can pull out their crappy iPhone, take a picture of tacos and put a vignette over it, you're not creating art.

I actually hate most forms of social media, since they just encourage stupidity. The only social media account I have anymore is Twitter, since I can choose who I follow and spend my time reading.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I actually hate most forms of social media, since they just encourage stupidity. The only social media account I have anymore is Twitter, since I can choose who I follow and spend my time reading.

We can take it a step further and say all forms of media, from amateur to professional, right-wing to left-wing. It may encourage stupidity (celebrities come to mind for me, and the fact that people are dumb panicky animals), but you also never get the truth--half-truths if you're lucky, but for the most part, you're just getting ass-kissing from whatever bias the media has.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

Technically, you can, to an extent, do the same with some other forms of social media.

It's just a matter of whether or not you really want to bother with them. Granted, Twitter has its questionable moments, too, but there are only so many coherent thoughts you can put into stretches of 140 characters.

Vikings

Oracle
Technically, you can, to an extent, do the same with some other forms of social media.

It's just a matter of whether or not you really want to bother with them. Granted, Twitter has its questionable moments, too, but there are only so many coherent thoughts you can put into stretches of 140 characters.

Agreed, I just find it easier with Twitter. Follow certain people that you care what they have to say and that's it. Open up Twitter, read their short ~140 character Tweets, and close it.

I wouldn't say disliking social media sites (FB, Instagram, MySpace, if that's still a thing...) is a non-mainstream opinion though.

Back on topic:
I don't think using gay as an adjective with negative connotations should be an insult to the gay community. Words take on new meanings, just how the word used to refer to being happy and joyful. Words evolve and take on new meanings. 99% of the time I've heard people say it, they weren't saying it to offend anyone or make a slur against the gay community. I personally don't say the word in that context, but I don't see why some people get so upset when others do.

Since it seems relevant, I also don't feel strongly in either direction about gay marriage, because it honestly doesn't effect me. I think people should do what makes them happy in life and move on. Don't force your views into my face, because I don't care. Live your life and don't disrupt others'.

AnakBaé

I dislike phones, especially smart phones.
People can't even glance away from those tiny screens, which is distracting and annoying during an actual discussion or casual convo. Phones also kill boring situations, and boring situations help people to get ideas and inspirations, which may lead to creativity. People no longer have time to daydream and fantasize anymore, especially during the boring moments like riding a bus, lunch, waiting for a class, or even toilet. I hate em. I rarely use it excpt for professional use.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
I don't think using gay as an adjective with negative connotations should be an insult to the gay community. Words take on new meanings, just how the word used to refer to being happy and joyful. Words evolve and take on new meanings. 99% of the time I've heard people say it, they weren't saying it to offend anyone or make a slur against the gay community. I personally don't say the word in that context, but I don't see why some people get so upset when others do.

I know this isn't a popular opinion being in the LGBT community myself, but I have to agree with you on this one. Words do evolve and take on new meanings. For example, "gay" did not originally refer to a male homosexual. The original meaning is an adjective for someone who is very happy and carefree. When someone says "that's so gay" they are usually not referring to homosexuality but a situation or someone that is carefree and happy to the point of being ridiculous. A homosexual man usually feels offended because he thinks it is a negative reference to his sexual orientation, which it is not.

How the word "gay" became associated with male homosexuals is beyond me, but I think it was from the "happy-go-lucky" stereotype of male homosexuals.

Spongebob Squarepants was described by many older adults, who lived in a different era, as being a gay sponge. And he is! He's largely carefree in comparison to the other cast. But people began to think that he had a sexual preference for the male cast due to this word usage. When in reality, the creators of the show felt compelled to make an official statement that this was a children's show and Spongebob was pretty much asexual.

The LGBT community does NOT have sole ownership of the word nor did it originate with them, although they like to pretend they do. This is why I am distancing myself from the LGBT community as time goes on. They are hypersensitive to the point of being unreasonable. No, I'm not going to stop using an adjective correctly just because they can't separate the meaning based on the context.

Sand25

Let's kick it.
I can't stand pancakes. They almost make me throw up.
Also I think Dragon Ball GT was awesome.

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
When someone says "that's so gay" they are usually not referring to homosexuality but a situation or someone that is carefree and happy to the point of being ridiculous.

What? No, when someone says "that's so gay" they usually mean "That's so stupid". Rarely they mean "That exhibits so many stereotypically gay" characteristics. I have yet to witness anyone use the word gay to describe something as "happy and bright" outside of west side story. Also saying that people shouldn't be offended when others use gay to mean stupid is like saying people shouldn't be offended when using jew to mean cheap.

Since I'm already talking about language, here's another not-mainstream-opinion:

~I believe that the language you use shapes your world and your thoughts. At the very least it reflects the world you live in.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
Blazekickblaziken said:
What? No, when someone says "that's so gay" they usually mean "That's so stupid". Rarely they mean "That exhibits so many stereotypically gay" characteristics. I have yet to witness anyone use the word gay to describe something as "happy and bright" outside of west side story. Also saying that people shouldn't be offended when others use gay to mean stupid is like saying people shouldn't be offended when using jew to mean cheap.

I said "they are usually not referring to homosexuality", so I can't see where you got that I thought they meant "that exhibits so many stereotypically gay characteristics". Something that comes across as "carefree and happy to the point of being ridiculous" is often seen as stupidity and non-seriousness. When I can't take something seriously and it comes across as stupid, I do say "that's so gay". That's the connection I was getting at.

Another unpopular opinion in my family at least:

+Yes, hate crimes should be punished more heavily than regular crimes. The fact that the criminal selected a specific person to beat up means it was premeditated. In the United States justice system, we punish planned crimes more heavily than crimes that happened in the heat of the moment.

Russell-Bowman

Just throwing this in there, I don't particularly like the works of Alan Moore. I've read a lot of his stuff, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume 3 jumps the shark in a massive way), V for Vendetta, and I find it all really unpleasant and full of angry and bitter subtexts. I don't know, perhaps I'm just uneducated.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I said "they are usually not referring to homosexuality", so I can't see where you got that I thought they meant "that exhibits so many stereotypically gay characteristics". Something that comes across as "carefree and happy to the point of being ridiculous" is often seen as stupidity and non-seriousness. When I can't take something seriously and it comes across as stupid, I do say "that's so gay". That's the connection I was getting at.

Being carefree and happy is not the same as being stupid. When people say "that's so gay", it's because something they don't like. No one calls 'stupidity and non-seriousness' gay.

Emiko-Gale

~I'm possibly the only person who doesn't think the zombie sub genre is awesome. Honestly if zombies were to take over the world I would be genuinely freaked out. And since all my friends live far away from me I would spend hours wondering if they are ok, and I would also feel sad that innocent people turn into zombies while humanity tears itself apart. And even if I did have weapons and could destroy zombies I'd wonder if it would be worth living in the end.

So yeah, when someone says "You can NOT be excited during a zombie apocalypse" I cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.