• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikings

Oracle
Then we've had different experiences. Maybe I just don't notice Apple fans because they never make a big deal out of it, but if I tell an Apple hater that I have an iPhone, he/she will go on and on about how "stupid" I am for using an iPhone. And I also see hate pointed towards Apple every single day whenever I surf on the internet. Whenever I see something on the internet, or someone talk about Apple, 99% of the time it is the haters hating. All the iPhone users I know does not make a big deal out of what kind of phone you use, and appear to be generally more intelligent people then the Apple haters I know. I've just gotten the impression that hating Apple is mainstream due to my personal experiences, and also because of the amount of hate on the internet comparing with the amount of support.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I personally have nothing against people that use Apple products. In fact, almost all of my family does. Even I own an iPad (bought it years ago purely because my sister and I had so much invested in iTunes), and have owned an iPhone before, so it's not like I blindly hate the company without having any experience with them. They have some redeeming qualities, such as their customer support. However, that's primarily because of the people in the store and the management. I find the company itself to be a prime example of what is wrong with corporations today.

I have to agree with you on iOS7. I was genuinely dissapointed with the software, partly because it reminded of other companies. But I don't think of Apple as a bully, but rather the other companies. Apple is very overprotective over their features, I'll give you that, but Apple is about the only cellphone company who makes their advertisment about their own products, rather then directly bullying other companies. Multiple companies have made commercials that is direct bullying of Apple and Apple users, but the haters still refer to Apple as the big bully. Just look at multiple of Samsung's commercials, a Sony commercial which was withdrawn after one day, and the "Don't be an iDiot" thing, among others. Bullies bullying Apple all over, but Apple does not resort to bullying back.

I agree with the commercials. I find that sort of advertising to be childish, but I don't think it justifies what Apple does at all. They are extremely hypocritical and pursue lawsuits that are overall pathetic. Not all companies advertise that way mind you, few do as a matter of fact. Besides, I would sooner support a company that advertises in that fashion than one that opens up lawsuits in several different countries for a thing like rounded corners.

Retina is a scientific term for a part of the eye that is responsible for creating an image of the visual world, and the word it self is not that fancy. A "retina display" means a display with more pixles then the human eye can observe, and I consider the term useful to use as a standard for screen resolution.

Human eye can detect from the average viewing distance*

I used retina display as an example because so many people think it's a technology of its own and something special, meanwhile other displays have a far higher PPI than Apple's products (HTC One (and all other 1080P displays) > iPhone 5s, Nexus 10 > iPad, Lenovo Yoga 2 > Retina MacBook Pro) and are overall superior.

And if you want fancy words, look at the "It doesn't take a genius" ad that Samsung made to compare iPhone 5 with Galaxy S3. The S3's screen is a "HD Super AMOLED Display" and that does not sound more fancy then "Retina Display"? They also left out a lot of the spesifications of the iPhone, and used uneccesary many words (they seriously included "shake to update" among others as a feature that S3 had just so the text on the S3 side looked bigger then on iPhone's side) to make their own product seem better then it is. I actually had an S3, and compared it with my at the time 2 year old iPhone 4, and my 2 year old jailbroken iPhone full of stuff (I only had 5MB empty) outspeeded my brand new S3. I was quite shocked because I really did not expect something like that. And after dropping it on the floor a couple of times, it stopped working, and I purchased an iPhone 5 (because I wanted a new phone, otherwise I would have went back to my iPhone 4). Still have my 4, both of the iPhone's work perfect as of today.

The "doesn't take a genius" ad is again another example of bullying, and that Samsung actually uses more fancy words then Apple.

AMOLED is the display technology they use, meaning it is different. Super AMOLED is a variant of it. It's not the same thing at all. Apple takes a standard IPS display at a certain resolution to meet a specific pixel density and calls it a Retina Display, and copyrights it to make it sound like something exclusive. Any company is free to refer to their display as a Super AMOLED, so long as that is the technology they used. Whereas a 4.7" 1080P display with a pixel density of ~468 can't legally be referred to as a retina display, even though it is superior to what Apple uses and calls a retina display.

Samsung didn't use a pointless fancy name at all when they said a Super AMOLED display, so it isn't the same thing at all lol.

I'm not like the random Apple haters you say you've encountered in the past. Working as an IT, I know what I'm talking about.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
I hate with a strong passion Slient Hill say that on Youtube and every one will chew you out for not liking the game that defined survial horror.

Queequeg

1. Any time there is some sort of disaster, natural, man-made, war, fire, terrorist attack, etc I hope it gets worse and worse.

2. I have zero sympathy for human beings.

3. 99% of blond girls are stupid.

4. At least 2/3 of current drivers should have their license revoked.

5. Any girl named "Katherine" is attractive.

6. I love to read poetry and listen to classical music.

7. The overall quality of movie, television, literature, music is declining and getting generally more stupid and unoriginal (i.e you see fewer and fewer truly great t.v shows and movies like Seinfeld, pulp fiction, m*a*s*h, the twilight zone, etc)

8. I'm not afraid of death and am quite excited for that adventure (although not yet).

9. The U.S is going to hell and the government is completely dysfunctional and won't be improving for many years.

10. Some sort of IQ or current events/politics test needs to be implemented for voting to curtail the astounding number of ignorant and unintelligent voters.

Last edited:

disposable_heroes

<- Best PKMN Ever
1) I actually dislike most of the Rolling Stones' songs. No idea why, since I also like most of the big classic rock bands.

2) I don't like PewDiePie, but that's probably just because of his fanbase.

3) I never got the point of tabloids and why they're so freakin' popular with the American public. Same thing with TV shows like Access Hollywood or whatever.

4) Also, I think people should stop with bashing Justin Bieber. It's been done so many times that it's lost any value of making yourself look "better" with regards to music taste. Speaking of music taste...

5) I'm not one for bands like Skillet, Godsmack, Buckcherry, Shinedown, etc. I personally think that modern rock has been producing so many bands that really have no uniqueness to them. I sometimes tune the radio to a rock station that's more heavy on these types of bands, and I can hardly tell what band is playing, unless the DJ says the band's name.

I don't like Jennifer Lawrence. I am in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

WHOA YES

Last edited:

Vikings

Oracle
1. Any time there is some sort of disaster, natural, man-made, war, fire, terrorist attack, etc I hope it gets worse and worse.

7. The overall quality of movie, television, literature, music is declining and getting generally more stupid and unoriginal (i.e you see fewer and fewer truly great t.v shows and movies like Seinfeld, pulp fiction, m*a*s*h, the twilight zone, etc)

8. I'm not afraid of death and am quite excited for that adventure (although not yet).

9. The U.S is going to hell and the government is completely dysfunctional and won't be improving for many years.

10. Some sort of IQ or current events/politics test needs to be implemented for voting to curtail the astounding number of ignorant and unintelligent voters.

Well, congrats sir, you've won this thread.

Not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing...

As for number 5: Katherine Moennig and Katherine Grainger.

Last edited:

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR

O_O

...Wow, not liking the human race are we?

So, would you date a blond girl named Katherine?

The U.S. going to hell? Well... considering the amount of money and power they have, they might perserve.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I really don't see a point it of this thread? So that people can spout their opinions in vein attempt something? That they are different from the "in crowd." Does it really at all matter? Opinions are like assholes and everyone and their mother has one. Sometimes people's opinions get people in a frenzy which why most of y'all won't say what you really want to out of fear. Maybe it is just me but that is how I feel about all of this. For me however, I will say what I to say when I want to regardless of some faceless avatar thinks of me. I guess that counts as a unpopular opinion doesn't it?

Vikings

Oracle
I really don't see a point it of this thread? So that people can spout their opinions in vein attempt something? That they are different from the "in crowd." Does it really at all matter? Opinions are like assholes and everyone and their mother has one. Sometimes people's opinions get people in a frenzy which why most of y'all won't say what you really want to out of fear. Maybe it is just me but that is how I feel about all of this. For me however, I will say what I to say when I want to regardless of some faceless avatar thinks of me. I guess that counts as a unpopular opinion doesn't it?

The thread isn't "Say something you're too afraid to say in real life", it's simply made to post unpopular opinions. I will share my opinion regardless of a faceless avatar as well, without hesitation. I find it quite interesting to see some people's opinions, primarily the ones on controversial topics. Why do you think things like the unpopular opinion puffin memes are so popular? People naturally like hearing others' opinions to see whether they agree or disagree with them, and to try and understand the reasoning behind them. Philosophy is based off of reasoning, and we've undeniably grown as humans as a result of it.

You're correct, everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has the same opinion. What's the point of having an opinion if you're unable to share it? This is simply a collection of some uncommon ones to have. Which, as I said, is interesting to see.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I really really like Monster High and don't see it at the vapid monsterfied Bratz knockoff everyone seems to claim it as (It's really not.)

KyuremFreeze

Hello, b0ss
Listen. the fact that i put these two together is the non mainstream part: Im catholic and i think gays should be allowed to get married. aids started because some idiot decided to fdo a monkey.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
I hate political parties of any kind with a burning passion. They do nothing but halt progress and turn our political structure into a dick-measuring contest.

Izanagi

'Sup!
The thread isn't "Say something you're too afraid to say in real life", it's simply made to post unpopular opinions. I will share my opinion regardless of a faceless avatar as well, without hesitation. I find it quite interesting to see some people's opinions, primarily the ones on controversial topics. Why do you think things like the unpopular opinion puffin memes are so popular? People naturally like hearing others' opinions to see whether they agree or disagree with them, and to try and understand the reasoning behind them. Philosophy is based off of reasoning, and we've undeniably grown as humans as a result of it.

You're correct, everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has the same opinion. What's the point of having an opinion if you're unable to share it? This is simply a collection of some uncommon ones to have. Which, as I said, is interesting to see.

You have a point. It is sometimes nice seeing other's people opinions on things. Everyone has the right to have opinion certainly and the right to share that opinion. Maybe I said of this is because I find that my opinion sometimes doesn't matter. Regardless, I am online for the reason of putting my opinions out there. Anyways, enough of my rant.

I have a few unpopular opinions that I would like to share.

1. I believe the animation in a legit form to tell great and even mature stories contrary to popular belief.
2. I am bit wishy-washy when it comes to religion. I both value and despise what it can do to people.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Izanagi said:
2. I am bit wishy-washy when it comes to religion. I both value and despise what it can do to people.

I'm the same. Some people are just too focused with it and tend to forget certain "things". I remember I've had plenty of fights with religious friends of mine because of that. I do respect, but certain things are a big no-no to me. And some of them think they are the rulers of the world... Luckily, it's not all of them!

Queequeg

when i'm grading exams (i'm a TA for physics) I love seeing people do as worse as possible and hate giving out high scores except for very few that are truly deserving.

bidoofdude

Legendary Trainer
I'm the same. Some people are just too focused with it and tend to forget certain "things". I remember I've had plenty of fights with religious friends of mine because of that. I do respect, but certain things are a big no-no to me. And some of them think they are the rulers of the world... Luckily, it's not all of them!

See what you mean, most times it helps bring a good mindset and some good rules to live by, but with all the controversy, it can be a bit of a handful. Also been questioning the whole subject (religion in general) with all that science has brought. Been debating in my mind over several things now. You know how it is.

Vikings

Oracle
See what you mean, most times it helps bring a good mindset and some good rules to live by, but with all the controversy, it can be a bit of a handful. Also been questioning the whole subject (religion in general) with all that science has brought. Been debating in my mind over several things now. You know how it is.

Almost anything can have negative elements to it if taken to the extreme. Religion is great, so long as you keep an open mind and think everything rationally. Like most things in life, if it's taken literal and to heart, things are going to get misconstrued.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Also been questioning the whole subject (religion in general) with all that science has brought. Been debating in my mind over several things now. You know how it is.

You can love and believe in science and still be very religious. Science is basically a study of how the world works in general, pretty much. Whether you believe in a higher being or not, we live on this planet, so we must learn about how it works. We're not always going to learn or solve everything, but we strive to learn for that very reason.

I think the theory of evolution was what really widened the gap between science and religion amongst other things. You know... it's a theory, it doesn't mean it's completely fact because scientists are still studying it. Natural selection is a type of evolution, yes, but it's not about monkeys becoming humans (which though I don't believe it, this theory was a gradual evolution over millions of years because of some form of natural selection--a species has to adapt to a change in environment for it to be preferable and thus carry on the species). It's kinda funny how people forget about how genetics and how they work when they learn about natural selection and get into Charles Darwin. I get it, genetics isn't easy, it gets very complex when you delve into mutations and diverse gene pools (for example). But in my personal opinion, and I think some scientists agree on this, genetics is the key to learning about life and how it works. But because the genetic code appears to change from generation to generation because of diet, environment, a diverse of genes from two heterozygous parents, whatever it may be, theories tend to change with it.

Now do I believe some of the scientific material we have is corrupt or outright incorrect? Sure, some of it is (carbon dating is getting recognition that it's been flawed for years). There are just some things some scientists learn that changes everything about what they believe and they refuse to believe it because of various reasons--it really and truly comes down to personal beliefs when it comes to scientists even though you're not supposed to be biased when you're a scientist. But the scientific community is always in some form of debate over one thing or another, so there are some things we're never going to learn normally unless we really dig into it on our own. Is the earth really 4.6 billion years old, or is it younger or even older than that? If so, did the dinosaurs really die out 65 million years ago? Did the Big Bang really happen the way it did, or was there something else behind it? (This one puzzles me when you take Newton's Three Laws of Motion to suggest there had to have been something else involved to get a "bang".) Why is the Solar System the way it is, and how was it Earth was in perfect condition to support life?

It's questions like that that we should be asking ourselves from time to time. It's why we have science because people had questions about this world and universe and wanted answers. Considering numerous people from all over the world have had the same questions but had gotten different answers throughout history, there's probably a truth or two that got lost or even corrupted somewhere, and we don't know where. So I, a religious person, personally love science to death and have found a peaceful commune between religion and science in my life, but I also question some scientific answers because there are just some things that don't really match up. Chances are what we learned today may change (for better or worse) within the next decade or so as technology advances.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

UnitRico

You know... it's a theory, it doesn't mean it's completely fact because scientists are still studying it.

It does mean it's been sufficiently studied and tested, though. In science, theory doesn't mean the same as it does in a non-scientific context. Of course, that doesn't change what you said is true (in that it isn't a fact in and of itself, but merely an interpretation of other facts), but it certainly shouldn't be discarded as easily as some people do by saying "it's just a theory", as that only shows a lack of knowledge about the meaning of the word.

Now do I believe some of the scientific material we have is corrupt or outright incorrect? Sure, some of it is (carbon dating is getting recognition that it's been flawed for years). There are just some things some scientists learn that changes everything about what they believe and they refuse to believe it because of various reasons--it really and truly comes down to personal beliefs when it comes to scientists even though you're not supposed to be biased when you're a scientist. But the scientific community is always in some form of debate over one thing or another, so there are some things we're never going to learn normally unless we really dig into it on our own.

Ah, yes, sadly (or not, I guess), scientist are only human, and are therefore just as fallible as anyone else.

and how was it Earth was in perfect condition to support life?

Earth is just one of many planets. There are probably plenty of others out there that can support life just as well. Perhaps you could elaborate further on what you mean with this exactly, though, as I might just be misinterpreting what you've said (as well as what others have said about this), because the whole idea just seems trivial to me.

It's questions like that that we should be asking ourselves from time to time. It's why we have science because people had questions about this world and universe and wanted answers.

Isn't it so that we have religion for the same reason, though? Especially when civilisation was still young, and humanity didn't yet have the capability to do research in the way that we do now, it's no surprise early man would explain phenomena they did not understand (like the weather and natural disasters) with an entire pantheon of divine beings? Just like science, it seeks to answer the questions we do not have an answer for.

Considering numerous people from all over the world have had the same questions but had gotten different answers throughout history, there's probably a truth or two that got lost or even corrupted somewhere, and we don't know where. So I, a religious person, personally love science to death and have found a peaceful commune between religion and science in my life, but I also question some scientific answers because there are just some things that don't really match up. Chances are what we learned today may change (for better or worse) within the next decade or so as technology advances.

Food for thought.

Questions, and looking for their answers can only help us progress, indeed.

To get back on topic a bit (and at the same time still relate to the above), while making exercises can be really boring and stuff, I really like and appreciate mathematics, mainly because there's little to no ambiguity, and the ambiguity that's there can pretty much always be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.