• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikings

Oracle
I have one that may sound fairly arrogant.

-I think it's a sign of lack of intelligence and open-mindedness if someone is oblivious to the idea of extraterrestrial life forms. I'm not saying intelligent life, or ones that are capable of interstellar travel, but it is awfully ignorant to consider it impossible when you have the Drake theory. People don't realize how huge the universe is, visible and non-visible. There is an estimated ~6+ sextillion planets out there. To think we're the only life amongst them is ridiculous.

UnitRico

-I think it's a sign of lack of intelligence and open-mindedness if someone is oblivious to the idea of extraterrestrial life forms. I'm not saying intelligent life, or ones that are capable of interstellar travel, but it is awfully ignorant to consider it impossible when you have the Drake theory. People don't realize how huge the universe is, visible and non-visible. There is an estimated ~6+ sextillion planets out there. To think we're the only life amongst them is ridiculous.

Quite the contrary. To think that we, as humans living on Earth, were, are or will be the only intelligent life forms in the universe sounds much more arrogant to me than what you've stated here.

Vikings

Oracle
Quite the contrary. To think that we, as humans living on Earth, were, are or will be the only intelligent life forms in the universe sounds much more arrogant to me than what you've stated here.

Mind elaborating? I don't see how that's contrary to what I said at all. From the way you make it sound, it sounds exactly like the statement I was making.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
[sub]Don't you just hate it when you have good responses, but because of various obstacles throughout the day you forget them and have to come up with something almost out of the blue? I swear I had so much better responses, I was just unable to reply at the time... *sadness*[/sub]

It does mean it's been sufficiently studied and tested, though. In science, theory doesn't mean the same as it does in a non-scientific context. Of course, that doesn't change what you said is true (in that it isn't a fact in and of itself, but merely an interpretation of other facts), but it certainly shouldn't be discarded as easily as some people do by saying "it's just a theory", as that only shows a lack of knowledge about the meaning of the word.

Of course, we can't just toss aside theories until we are 100% absolute that we have found the truth to disprove a theory or two. Still wouldn't stop others from calling BS on it, though. Pluto being demoted to a dwarf planet, for example, which I really don't like how Pluto got demoted in all honesty. I mean, Mercury is slightly bigger, but how come it didn't get demoted? Did it just barely exceed that mark? I don't get it. But I guess I shouldn't talk, I hadn't bothered to memorize the other planets we discovered in our Solar System even though I was all over the possibility of a Planet X as a kid...

Earth is just one of many planets. There are probably plenty of others out there that can support life just as well. Perhaps you could elaborate further on what you mean with this exactly, though, as I might just be misinterpreting what you've said (as well as what others have said about this), because the whole idea just seems trivial to me.

True, but we haven't yet found planets with advanced life like ours, and thus we don't know how far away from their sun they are (we mostly found younger solar systems right now with a planet or two that is possible to sustain life, but none as old or older than ours, yet). Earth is approximately 92,960,000 miles from the sun. How is it that that particular coordination made it the perfect spot for a planet to be "randomly" formed over billions of years to be able to sustain life? That's my question.

To get back on topic a bit (and at the same time still relate to the above), while making exercises can be really boring and stuff, I really like and appreciate mathematics, mainly because there's little to no ambiguity, and the ambiguity that's there can pretty much always be solved.

I can get behind the appreciation of mathematics, but I honestly never bothered to try and wrap my head around it. Probably because I don't believe math is my strongest area (though strangely enough, in various tests I would score high on math--probably because it just asked me to do the math and not other BS that seems to be in the school curriculum). I dunno, I guess I'm just not a logical person or something.

Brofists. There is pretty much a near-infinite amount of universe out there (especially since it's continuously expanding), so it makes it nigh impossible that we are the only living beings ever. I personally don't believe the extraterrestrials are the bug-eyed green/gray humanoids we've come to expect, but it's possible that they look different from us. I also believe that we're not the oldest ones, that there are much more advanced intelligent lives somewhere in the universe, we just haven't gotten into contact with them. Or we're just unable to for whatever reason (our telescopes and radio waves can really only go so far).

UnitRico

Mind elaborating? I don't see how that's the contrary to what I said at all. From the way you make it sound, it sounds exactly like the statement I was making.

With that, I meant that what you said didn't sound arrogant to me at all, contrary to what you said.

[sub]Don't you just hate it when you have good responses, but because of various obstacles throughout the day you forget them and have to come up with something almost out of the blue? I swear I had so much better responses, I was just unable to reply at the time... *sadness*[/sub]

Yup. This also falls under the whole "D'ohh, I should've said that" category.

Of course, we can't just toss aside theories until we are 100% absolute that we have found the truth to disprove a theory or two. Still wouldn't stop others from calling BS on it, though. Pluto being demoted to a dwarf planet, for example, which I really don't like how Pluto got demoted in all honesty. I mean, Mercury is slightly bigger, but how come it didn't get demoted? Did it just barely exceed that mark? I don't get it. But I guess I shouldn't talk, I hadn't bothered to memorize the other planets we discovered in our Solar System even though I was all over the possibility of a Planet X as a kid...

I must admit, I never really read into the whole Pluto issue, mainly because a discussion about a definition (what it basically got down to, as far as I can tell) didn't sound too interesting to me.

True, but we haven't yet found planets with advanced life like ours, and thus we don't know how far away from their sun they are (we mostly found younger solar systems right now with a planet or two that is possible to sustain life, but none as old or older than ours, yet). Earth is approximately 92,960,000 miles from the sun. How is it that that particular coordination made it the perfect spot for a planet to be "randomly" formed over billions of years to be able to sustain life? That's my question.

I'd guess it has to do with temperature and stuff, though the existence and locations of other planets and the moon probably play a vital role as well. Again, considering the age and size of the universe, the only thing that seems random to me is the specific spot in the universe where all of these things came together.

I can get behind the appreciation of mathematics, but I honestly never bothered to try and wrap my head around it. Probably because I don't believe math is my strongest area (though strangely enough, in various tests I would score high on math--probably because it just asked me to do the math and not other BS that seems to be in the school curriculum). I dunno, I guess I'm just not a logical person or something.

I don't know, even at university, math still isn't too hard for me. The only reason I struggle at it is because I'm too lazy and have trouble getting myself to work. As soon as I make most exercises, I pass the subjects quite easily.

Vikings

Oracle
With that, I meant that what you said didn't sound arrogant to me at all, contrary to what you said.

Both of our posts had similar content though, so I don't see how it was contrary. Both of our posts were stating it would be arrogant to think that we're the only life forms in this universe, and both were in favor of the idea of life forms beyond our planet's. Yours more so specifically mentioned intelligent life, where I was speaking about life in general.

UnitRico

Both of our posts had similar content though, so I don't see how it was contrary. Both of our posts were stating it would be arrogant to think that we're the only life forms in this universe, and both were in favor of the idea of life forms beyond our planet's. Yours more so specifically mentioned intelligent life, where I was speaking about life in general.

Oh, I must've misread it, then. I thought you said that opinion that you stated would sound arrogant to some people.

Vikings

Oracle
Oh, I must've misread it, then. I thought you said that opinion that you stated would sound arrogant to some people.

Ah, I can see where you might have seen that. I was making the same point were, that it would be arrogant for one to deny the existence of other life beyond ours. One can look no further than the Drake Equation for proof of that.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I'm the same. Some people are just too focused with it and tend to forget certain "things". I remember I've had plenty of fights with religious friends of mine because of that. I do respect, but certain things are a big no-no to me. And some of them think they are the rulers of the world... Luckily, it's not all of them!

I know. I mean I don't hate religion. I really don't. If you choose to believe in religion you should be able to. People need to be able to respect that. In the same way I respect people who are atheist. I believe that religion can do some people good but not all people. People often misinterpret religion. The whole point of religion is suppose to better people but instead it turn a lot people really ugly. Like you said, some people only want to focus on certain "aspects" but what you need to be doing is looking at the whole picture. I am bit wishy-washy on religion, meaning I have no definite religion, because I so many different views on things. However, I believe people have the right to lead their own lives and make their own choices as long it doesn't hinder anyone else's development.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I must admit, I never really read into the whole Pluto issue, mainly because a discussion about a definition (what it basically got down to, as far as I can tell) didn't sound too interesting to me.

I'm personally happy we have more planets in our Solar System than previously thought, but to have a category of "dwarf planets" sounds really stupid to me. It's still a freaking planet. I mean come on, Pluto has three moons. How is that not awesome for a small planet?

I'd guess it has to do with temperature and stuff, though the existence and locations of other planets and the moon probably play a vital role as well. Again, considering the age and size of the universe, the only thing that seems random to me is the specific spot in the universe where all of these things came together.

Temperature is a big thing for a planet as well as how thick the atmosphere is and what it contains. I'm sure if Earth with its current atmosphere was in the same spot as Venus, I think it would be pretty barren with not much atmosphere because it would've boiled away. The only reason Venus has an atmosphere is because of volcanoes constantly erupting and sending up carbon dioxide (which probably would also happen to this planet, but then again, Io, Jupiter's moon, has active volcanoes, so... hmm...). Though once the sun starts getting bigger and hotter, than Earth will eventually become inhabitable, but that's not going to be for a long, long time.

All I know is if we were just a few miles closer or further away from the sun, it's very possible Earth wouldn't have the same results as it does now. Would it still contain (advanced) life? Maybe, maybe not.

As for the location of the universe for our Solar System to have come together, I don't think it really matters as long as there was a sun for planets to orbit around. Sure, it'd probably be a bad thing if we were closer to the center of the galaxy because of the possibility of getting eaten by the black hole much earlier, but there are black holes everywhere. It's possible we have really small, non-threatening ones in our own Solar System, we don't know right now.

Freakin' love space, man. If it were physically possible for me, I would love to be able to just travel the Solar System and the Milky Way by hitching a ride on comets and quasars, and possibly even go to Andromeda and see if we really do have any neighbors looking at us.

I don't know, even at university, math still isn't too hard for me. The only reason I struggle at it is because I'm too lazy and have trouble getting myself to work. As soon as I make most exercises, I pass the subjects quite easily.

xD Same here. I procrastinate a lot, I tend to just scramble to get work done at times. Somehow it works.

Sir Aaron Aura Guardian

The True Guardian
A lot of text...

I have to say, you are truly different from all the other Apple haters I've come upon. I'm glad to know that there are people who dislikes/hates Apple who can say other things then "Apple sucks because I say so, and you're wrong no matter what you say, lololololol". I really respect your opinions.

Even though I am an Apple fan, I can agree on a lot of stuff about Aplle being douchebags. Because, honestly, they do a lot of douchebag stuff. I think Apple are way to overprotective over features such as rounded corners, but I still consider direct bullying of the company and it's customrrs to be a lot wore then being overprotective over meaningless small stuff.

About Retina: that's what it does? I really have very little knowledge about the human body, so I really just guessed.
But I honestly don't consider it a fancy word that makes it sound better then it is. I think I've seen some non-Apple products using the term, but I might be wrong.

And I see you've started a conversation about intelligent lifeforms outside of earth? I do agree with you, the par of the universe that has been discovered as of today is a lot bigger then a human can comprihend, and it sounds very unlikely that Earth is the only place in the entire universe with life on it. Chances are that there are other life forms out there, but we have not yet discovered them, and we are to far away to be able to establish communication with other life forms during our lifetimes. The only possibility would be if life somewhere else have a lot more technological development then we have managed to accieve, but there is also a possibility that nobody has managed to accieve the kind of technological developments as the humans on Earth has.

leonz

The Unknown Trainer
1. Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and Bob's Burgers stink.
2. King of the Hill is better than the aforementioned.

Izanagi

'Sup!
Well, someone gave me a negative reputation for little to no reasons. I could less though.

1. I don't particularly like Family Guy and other similar shows but it okay if others like them.
2. I actually like Pop Music. Not all of it but there are few songs that are in my opinion worth listening too.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
1. I don't particularly like Family Guy and other similar shows but it okay if others like them.

I can't stand Family Guy or anything by Seth MacFarlane. If some people like him, good for them, but I can't get behind his humor or anything. I prefer watching The Simpsons over his shows, but I haven't watched The Simpsons in years, so I actually prefer King of the Hill more. Probably because King of the Hill doesn't rely on pop culture references every episode for its humor or the characters are just that likeable, or that it actually came to an end. Or all of the above.

I'm actually glad Seth MacFarlane canceled productions on The Flintstones. I really did not want to see that show being revived at all to fit today's standards as well as become more influenced by his personal and political views. It's fine the way it is, it's still popular enough amongst audiences, leave it alone.

TehSpiral

Terminally Chill
1. Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and Bob's Burgers stink.
2. King of the Hill is better than the aforementioned.

I think you should give Bob's Burgers another shot. It has far, far more in common with King of the Hill than either Family Guy or The Cleveland Show. And, to be completely honest, The Cleveland Show was never really popular to begin with as it's already been cancelled and forgotten about by most people.

Trust me, I was skeptical too! It took the convincing of a few friends to give the series a legit try, but once I was halfway through the second season, I had come to cherish it. Like I said, the show reminds me A LOT of King of the Hill; it has a much looser animation style than KOTH and there are some occasional outlandish moments, but for the most part, it's much more grounded than any other FOX animated sitcom currently on the air. Also, the humor isn't mean-spirited or deliberately offensive like FG and it's offspring usually aim for. The laughs come from character interaction, wordplay, and clever visual gags and whatnot.

The most important thing that distinguishes Bob's Burgers from all the other Sunday FOX animated sitcoms is that the tone is genuinely good-natured. The Belchers are wacky, yeah, but they really love and care for one another. You would NEVER see the Griffins treat Meg with any sort of respect beyond the first couple seasons of FG. Tina Belcher (the "Meg"/"typical teenage daughter" of the show) gets a lot of jokes regarding her bizarre behavior, but it's loving, playful teasing compared to the open contempt Meg's family displays towards her. FG and it's ilk couldn't really be any more different.

tl;dr you should give Bob's Burgers another chance. Start with the second season; first season is okay but the ball really starts rolling in the second.

MosuGoji

RIP Jared
I think One Direction is a rubbish piece of crap that would make most peoples ears bleed. Maybe not mainstream here on Serebii but holy **** they're ****ing everywhere in real life.

Vikings

Oracle
[Place ellipsis here]

I respect yours as well. You like what you like, I appreciate that. I only get annoyed when people blindly follow something and are oblivious to the idea that there's something negative about it. Keeping an open mind and acknowledging that something has quirks doesn't mean you can no longer like it. I guess I'm a little hasty when talking tech since where I live, a lot of people are materialistic and think their product is the best purely because they own it, so I apologize. I'm glad to see you're open minded and enjoy what you enjoy though. Not everyone is like that, including myself at times :p

And, to be completely honest, The Cleveland Show was never really popular to begin with as it's already been cancelled and forgotten about by most people.

I personally liked The Cleveland Show. It's far better than Family Guy in my opinion, that's for sure. I wouldn't consider it gone and forgotten though. It's Fox, hell, they even cancelled FG twice, along with several other shows like Futurama. They've threatened to cancel The Simpsons a good 10 times by now. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it come around again. Not to mention, Seth has said that if The Cleveland Show ever gets cancelled for good, he'll just move all the characters over to Family Guy.

I agree with giving Bob's Burger another shot though. When I first saw it, the animation was terrible, the voice cast was beyond annoying, and the jokes were kind of eh. It's the type of show that you need to know the characters to find them funny. It isn't my favorite show, but I'll watch it if nothing else is on. It reminds me of old school Adult Swim with Home Movies.

TehSpiral

Terminally Chill
I agree with giving Bob's Burger another shot though. When I first saw it, the animation was terrible, the voice cast was beyond annoying, and the jokes were kind of eh. It's the type of show that you need to know the characters to find them funny. It isn't my favorite show, but I'll watch it if nothing else is on. It reminds me of old school Adult Swim with Home Movies.

There's a very good reason for why you find it familiar to Home Movies as Bob's Burger's creator, Loren Bouchard, also co-created Home Movies with Brendon Small. And the voice cast is amazing! H. Jon Benjamin is a legend in the voice acting community (y'know...Home Movies, Dr. Katz, Archer, etc.), Kristen Schaal is perfect as Louise (see also: Mabel in "Gravity Falls"), and Eugene Mirman is always hilarious (aside from Gene, check him out as Yevginy Mirminsky on "Delocated!", or his left-field stand-up acts). Dan Mintz and John Roberts also crack me up with the fact that they both play female characters with silly voices.

Also, the Cleveland Show has already been cancelled for real. It doesn't have a following like any of those other shows you mentioned, I can't see it coming back with new episodes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.