• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Opinions that most people won't like/isn't mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.
the criminal justice system is absurd. the very notion of 'punishing' people for crimes is morally reprehensible, socially harmful and reeks of bad economics. placing criminals in a harsh environment in squalid conditions and isolating them from society for years without taking an active effort to rehabilitate them works as an incentive to not commit crime on some level but in general has EMPIRICALLY been shown to be ineffective in deterring crime - it could be argued that the current state of prisons actively hurts the effort of reducing crime because it focuses on eliminating symptoms instead of the underlying causes of social distress (eg: imposing harsh penalties for distributing/using hard drugs instead of targeting the social conditions that result in addiction/slinging).

Last edited:

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
1. Despite their insane popularity, i do not care for Ocarina of time, Twilight Princess OR Majora's Mask in the Zelda series
2. On the subject of Zelda, I thought Skyward Sword was great, and i did not find Fi annoying in the slightest.
3. I am not into music today, i'm more into soundtracks and tunes without lyrics. Dubstep TO AN EXTENT.
4. I'm one of those people who prefer english voices in Anime over the japanese original stuff people are oh so fond of. I don't watch it if i can't understand it. There ARE some exceptions in which will stay with me!
5. I found Generation 3 and 5 to be my favorites.
6. I'm not too big on First Person shooters anymore. Especially true from the massive backlash Call of Duty gets.
7. Touhou...I can't stand it, it boils my blood, it burns my patience to the ground! I you haven't guessed already...I DESPISE anything Touhou with a passion!
8. I lost interest in highly violent or gory games or dire plots, with some exceptions. But most of the time, all that apocalyptic rifraf puts me off, there's enough pain and violence in the real world already, no need to remind us that the world is awful! *cries in corner*
9. Most of the time, I prefer new generation things over dinosaurs from the past of the same thing. DragonBall Z is a great example of that.
10. I'm not too big on those immensely popular Youtubers, I find them pompous annoying, and WAYY to mainstream!

There, that's my list...i hope i didnt offend anybody with my views on things...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
4. I'm one of those people who prefer english voices in Anime over the japanese original stuff people are oh so fond of. I don't watch it if i can't understand it. There ARE some exceptions in which will stay with me!

This opinion is totally fine and reasonable, no need to worry about if you offended anyone over it. A whole entire discussion exists around the subject of "subs versus dubs", but that goes elsewhere (so I'll try to keep this to a minimum--can't make promises). Still, it does bug me that there are a lot of purists who believe the original Japanese is better so it must automatically make it good. (The same exists on the other end of the spectrum, but it's a bit rare, and the reasons are more reasonable because it's the native language of the viewer--though yes, there are good and bad voice-acting.) But because they most likely don't speak the language (both speak and understand it fluently), they think the Japanese voices are superb and fit the characters to a "T".

There is also that chance those same purists haven't watched a lot of anime and thus haven't really dug down into the barrel, because there are indeed Japanese voice actors and actresses who aren't very good at voice-acting. It's just that the untrained ear doesn't catch it unless it's extremely grating, so many viewers who watch subs automatically think it's the best thing ever even if the anime itself sucks.

With that said and on the subject of dub voices, I don't mind Greg Ayres. I think he did a nice job as Youhei Sunohara on CLANNAD (he really shone for me in After Story), he was great as Chrono on Chrono Crusade, and I thought he was okay as Jun Kitagawa on Kanon. Now granted, those are the only dubs I've watched that had him in it, so I can't make a proper judgment as to how good of a voice actor he is (I mean, he's no Steven Blum or Crispin Freeman), but he added a charm to those three characters that I was pretty fond of. Yeah, I can understand why some people may not like him, and this particular opinion of mine might change in the future (since chances are I'm going to run into him here and there), but from what I personally heard, he's not bad. And even then, he sounded like he's enjoying becoming the characters, and that's always a plus in my book.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
To be fair, Shrek shamelessly stole a LOT of tropes and things from common fairy tales and disney. Nostalgia critic actually explains it very well. And Shrek wasn't the first to do jokes like that either. Most movies take ideas from other moves and roll with it, it's really not uncommon.

In the end, there just aren't that many unique stories you can tell.

1. Despite their insane popularity, i do not care for Ocarina of time, Twilight Princess OR Majora's Mask in the Zelda series

I can agree with this. OoT was okay, MM is great but even then, slightly overrated in many respects (and really I blame a lot of that on Jadusable's "ARG," which I got soured toward near the end of its apparent lifespan (because Jadusable was kind of an ******* -- no hard feelings over abandoning it, though) and the fandom turned into the same kind of circle jerk that began to surround the Publius Enigma), but Twilight Princess is probably the worst game in the series that I've ever played.

It varies by dub. Cromartie High School has a pretty good dub, even with its, er, embellishments. But some dubs are really bad.

5. I found Generation 3 and 5 to be my favorites.

I wouldn't call the Gen III part an unpopular opinion. Everyone's jacking off to Hoenn lately.

7. Touhou...I can't stand it, it boils my blood, it burns my patience to the ground! I you haven't guessed already...I DESPISE anything Touhou with a passion!

The fandom needs to be buried up to its neck in broken glass, but it could be so much worse of a game series. Then again, I kind of like scrolling shooters in general.

10. I'm not too big on those immensely popular Youtubers, I find them pompous annoying, and WAYY to mainstream!

It's pretty irrational to hate something just for being popular, but I can agree that most of the popular YouTube gaming channels are ***. Plenty of YouTube gaming presenters that are not hugely popular are great (brisulph and roundthewheelrtw are hilarious, Vicas3 has that thing where he played Super Mario 64 with his feet, etc.), but somehow the ones that are popular are all not very good. I'm not entirely sure if this is because a large amount of people are tasteless, or just random chance, or maybe because I'm tasteless -- but somehow YouTube still recommends me PewDiePie once in a while, and that makes me hate it more than the Google+ debacle.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
I like bugs 8D All kinds of bugs. Cockroaches and Termites tooo :D Oh yeah and plague locusts :3

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
In the end, there just aren't that many unique stories you can tell.

This, unfortunately, though it's still interesting to see what people come up with. I doubt we'll get really fresh ideas (I mean they happen, but it's pretty rare), but to come up with ways to tell a story and make it enjoyable is probably what makes story-telling that much more rewarding. DreamWorks is especially getting that much better at it even though at heart, they're a parodic, pop-culture kind of company. Outside of probably Turbo (kinda feel bad for the director, it was his first directed movie), I can't really think of a DreamWorks movie that didn't make me laugh/entertained.

Meanwhile, I'm getting very worried over Pixar's next film, The Good Dinosaur. The movie's having problems (which is why it got pushed back a year, so we don't have Pixar at all this year), but it also... doesn't look that good. Yeah, the poster's not official (that we know of) and we have seen concept art, but it kinda scares me. At least with the first Cars, I still found a story to take away from, and Brave was disappointing (albeit beautiful to look at), but I don't see what's appealing about this next movie outside of dinosaurs co-existing with humans--which I thought was going to take place in modern times.

It varies by dub. Cromartie High School has a pretty good dub, even with its, er, embellishments. But some dubs are really bad.

*quickly adds to "plan to watch" list*

I have this love-hate relationship with the dub of Catnapped!, a rather obscure children's film that everyone should watch because it needs the love. The dub's good for the most part, it's got great voices such as Lia Sargent as ChuChu, Simon Prescott as HoiHoi, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Buburina (I love this performance in particular), but I can't stand Sandy Fox's role as Miiko. Even in the original Japanese, Miiko's voice actress was still grating, but arguably not as bad as Sandy Fox's.

And I personally think Neon Genesis Evangelion's dub isn't too bad. It's really narmy and jarring in places, yes, but I think the voice actors and actresses did a nice job by the time they did End of Evangelion. Also, Garzey's Wing's dub is so bad, it's good. It's probably the only way to watch that crappy OVA without going insane, though it helps to watch it with someone. And then there are the gag dubs... thus far, I think Samurai Pizza Cats and to an extent Digimon (Adventure) are the successful gag dubs.

Well... granted, many anime from the mid-90s and earlier had dubs that were decent at best, though I'm pretty sure bad English dubs still exist to this very day (I just haven't run into them outside of the obvious 4KIDS dubs--though there are some pieces of 4KIDS dubs I've enjoyed in particular some of the voice actors/actresses). Sentai Filmworks is one people like to point at, though I haven't really noticed outside of the dreadful subtitles (unless all of their DVD cases look like this in which case they suck at it, though I hear the Blu-Rays are handled better).

WildHennaCharizard

Meanwhile, I'm getting very worried over Pixar's next film, The Good Dinosaur. The movie's having problems (which is why it got pushed back a year, so we don't have Pixar at all this year), but it also... doesn't look that good. Yeah, the poster's not official (that we know of) and we have seen concept art, but it kinda scares me. At least with the first Cars, I still found a story to take away from, and Brave was disappointing (albeit beautiful to look at), but I don't see what's appealing about this next movie outside of dinosaurs co-existing with humans--which I thought was going to take place in modern times.

Yeah I feel the same way about "THe Good Dinosasuar". PLus there is only two ways that I see the plot going:
1. Flintstones
2.Dinotopia ( book series about Humans and dinosaurs living in a kinda utopia society)

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I think Shinji isn't gay and he's a pretty good protagonist.
Really, I stick with the idea people hate him, because he's different from what we are used to see. Everyone would act like him, specially if it happened to you, what happened to him. He's pretty annoying with that "I musn't run away", though.

And about he being gay...
He isn't. People just aren't looking on other way. The last episodes of NGE messes even with my mind, really, and Kaworu is the type of person he were looking for, his whole life. Kaworu provided what Shinji wanted. And Shinji acts strange when people like Kaworu (aka Rei) are near him. Although on the mangá it's evident he's gay, on the Animé, it isn't that clear. Why would he jack off to Asuka, and have thoughts with Misato, Rei and Asuka, and did nothing to Kaji, eh?

Last edited:
I absolutely hate the idea of stupid people having children... I am a strong believer on testing people both physically and mentally before they can have children.... ( and they must pass the test)

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I absolutely hate the idea of stupid people having children... I am a strong believer on testing people both physically and mentally before they can have children.... ( and they must pass the test)

They tried this in central Europe about 70 years ago. I hear that it didn't really work out, though.

Sohryu

Be a Man!

And if they don't, what happens? This actually sounds extremely wrong, really, and I am strongly against that idea.
Besides, define "Stupid people", please.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
that's enough about eugenics i think, if you really want further info maybe vm them or something. this thread is for expressing bad opinions, not dogpiling

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
The Toy Story trilogy are not the best films Pixar has ever made. I'd put at least six of their other films over them. Don't get me wrong, they are good films, and compared to other animated films they would still score very highly with me. But something about them just doesn't click as well to me as Pixar's other works; the characters don't quite appeal to me as much as other Pixar duos (Woody and Buzz are likeable but I feel far more attached to Sulley and Mike, Marlin and Dory and Carl and Russell) and the 'return to Andy' plot line is a little repetitive and isn't really all that compelling.

...In fact, I think A Bug's Life is better than Toy Story. The plot line is more interesting with the misunderstandings (but that they're cleared up fairly soon, leaving room for the plot to continue!) and the characters I find on the whole more memorable.

Pokemon-wise, when it comes to the first generation, it is my least favourite gen. I haven't played the original games, this is purely based on the Pokemon. The art style is more fierce and less cartoony which appeals to me less. The fifth generation, IMO, did it right with a good mix. Similarly, the first gen starters are my least favourite set, though keep in mind that there is no starter Pokemon that I actually dislike.

Also, Cheren and Bianca were better rivals than Blue and Silver. They possessed actual character arcs and I liked how they were actually likeable and more 'friendly opponents' than just being out to get you. They felt like people I could actually be friends with, and were helpful throughout the game to boot!

People need to stop obsessing over minor characters. It's one thing to have a dedicated fanbase and enough popularity to have a decent amount of fanwork of them, it's another for them to have such widespread adoration that they overshadow actual main characters in terms of popularity. I tend to view a lot of these characters as fads because the amount of attention they get in comparison to their role does not really seem sustainable. (Note: By minor, I mean like 'character of the day' minor, not say a secondary character)

Littlechic

Resident Freak
I hate Greninja, Charizard, and Blaziken.

I prefer the country over the city.

I think chickens make wonderful pets.

I strongly disagree with certain laws against age.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I strongly dislike shrimp unless it's tempura-fried. I really dislike their taste.

I am a huge fan of mainstream artists who generally gain a lot of controversy (except for Justin Bieber), such as Miley Cyrus. I respect how they are able to make music without caring about what people think. I also find a lot of mainstream albums that gain critical reception to be somewhat overrated, like Beyoncé's new album.

Also, like another previous poster said, I find the Toy Story movies to be overrated. In fact, my all-time favorite one is probably Cars one of Pixar's most disliked films. People complain that it's not as complex as other Pixar films, but that's the whole point of the movie: you should enjoy the simple things in life.

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
1)I tend to like characters no one likes, and I sometimes tend to hate the character everyone likes. For example, my favourite dexholder is Pearl while I'm honestly not a huge fan of Red.
2)I prefer Mega Charizard Y over Mega Charizard X.
3)I can honestly care less about shippings when it comes to fanfiction, which makes up almost or more than 90% of every fanfiction out there.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Reading over this, I have some comments to make based in what people have said after my previous comment:

Cars gets too much flak. The sequel I get, it's totally unnecessary. But the first film I found to be generally rather pleasant; it may be very cliched but the supporting cast really helped to lift up the film and there were some really good moments (particularly one near the end). I think the worst non-sequel Pixar film is actually Ratatouille because I can't pick anything I find special about the film. At the very least Cars has its moments and Brave has an interesting protagonist; Ratatouille doesn't even have that.

Shipping should not be considered a mandatory part of being a fan. Many people talk about OTPs and stuff and that's fine, but it's not for everyone. I don't really like romance, there's a handful of relationships in fiction I find cute and I may have a passing interest in shipping (read: have mild preferences for some ships over others), but it's never to the extent that I'd want to write about it or really read about it. When it comes to my fandoms, I find friendships to be far cuter than romantic relationships.

Bacon is not the best food ever, and when people say 'OMG bacon is so awesome' I roll my eyes. It's tasty, but it's not the god of foods.

Memes are only worthwhile if they are funny, versatile and actually retain some value after their initial use. A lot of memes in certain fandoms are short-lived, overused during that space of time and aren't really funny (such as that Twilicane meme for My Little Pony). I have no issue with memes in and of themselves, but if you're creating/perpetuating a meme for the sake of it, then you're doing it wrong.

Speaking of My Little Pony, I stopped watching a little way into Season 4. Not because of Twilight getting wings or anything, but that there's too much focus on action-y or overly zany plot lines (such as having superheroes and vampires) and I dislike the overuse of certain characters (particularly Discord). I like Princess Twilight and the overarching story they've got going, but I feel like the show has lost a lot of the slice-of-life thing that made it so enjoyable for me. I know it still exists, but there's not really a lot of it, and I find that disappointing.

I judge a good comedy film only partly by how much it makes me laugh. In my eyes, a good comedy movie should not just be funny, but it should also remain being a very good watch even after you've seen it several times and the comedy has worn off.

A Mary Sue character isn't just about being powerful, it's about being a shallow character who just feels shoehorned into the universe in general. For example, merely owning a Legendary Pokemon is not enough to be a Mary Sue in my eyes, it's about how they obtain it and why. Sometimes, particularly with canon characters (I'm thinking specifically about the Ace Attorney character Athena here), I think people have way too low standards for what a Mary Sue actually is. As in, they're willing to apply the label to a character who doesn't really deserve it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.