• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OPs vs. EDs

Which are better, the openings or endings?

• Total voters

Faerie

MONS
This is pretty simple. On average, which is better: the pokemon openings, or the ending themes?

The openings could be either English or Japanese, but comparing the English OPs to the Japanese EDs might be a stretch. Suit yourself, though.

You can watch the Japanese OPs and EDs here @ filb.

My vote goes to the EDs. Even taking the English OPs into account (that adds about 2 really good-quality OPs), they tend to be more enjoyable. They also have more variety. OPs tend to start all sounding the same after a while, because there is such little leg room in the OP mold, but the ones they tried to be creative with failed for the most part (the cover of Mezase Pokemon Master was horrid). Pokemon Symphonic Medley was amazing, but it still doesn't help when faced with stuff like Soko ni Sora ga Aru Kara and Polka o Dolka.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
It's both footage and sound that I take into account, as well as how well they both meld together, so it's a really difficult decision for me.

Obviously that means none of the english ones are not to my taste, since the majority use footage that is sped up, rearranged or spliced with clips from the actual episodes (which, might I add, looked really awful when constantly switching from cel to digital), while the songs themselves are laden with the term 'generic' in terms of both lyrics and music. It also doesn't help that they all sound basically the same.

The japanese openings can be hit and miss, but the hits (specifically the likes of the Battle Frontier duo) more than make up for the stragglers, and while lyrically they can be quite cheesy, they do sound cool and have a very energetic vibe. It especially works well when you couple it alongside stuff like Ash's Pokémon launching their attacks 'tward the forth wall or fighting other creatures. I'm a sucker for stuff like that, and it does a great job of getting me pumped to watch the show.
Even if it does turn out to be a crappy filler. Oh 'Psyduck's Depression', how you wronged me so.

The endings have a bit of an unfair advantage, since there are so many of them, and as you pointed out, there's more room for variety.
There are some I'm not especially fond of, in particular the Ash & Pikachu ones, which tend to have some boring animation coupled alongside some otherwise decent sounding pieces.
Having said that, the good far outweighs the bad, and I just can't NOT vote for the endings when there's stuff like Takeshi's Paradise, Maemuki Rocket Gang and Polka O' Freaking Dolka to choose from. They look superb, they're undoubtedly fun to listen to, and wonderfully goofy.

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
i like the openings more then some of the endings, i don't know why it's just that the openings are much better then some of the endings. the japanies openings, not the english ones. those such they miss a lot of stuff, but i know that we can't have all rights to everything, so yeah...

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Yeah, I really don't think I can say the English Openings are better with a straight face.

As for Endings, well, unless you get off on credits on a black screen, Japan.