• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Optimism

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
Optimism (VGC/IT Doubles Team)

After helping someone out with a team of theirs, and some extra external research, I decided to try my hand at this VGC/IT team. The reasoning behind this team is simple: there are a few Pokemon blessed by Nintendo with excellent Base Stats, however are cursed by notoriously bad abilities. While two of my fellow Serebiians have chosen to focus on Slaking and Regigigas, respectively, I have chosen to look beyond the normal type agenda. I have chosen to focus on Archeops, the amazing Flying Fossil from Unova.
:567: :547:
First I decided to base a team around an Archeops + Whimsicott lead.
:567: :547: :560:
Next I felt like I needed a special wall that could sponge attacks from both sides of the spectrum, while still dishing out some damage, so I picked Scrafty.
:567: :547: :560: ;463;
In a metagame filled with weather, which is also extremely prevalent in the VGC, I decided to bring in a surprisingly under-used, but still beneficial weather stopper. Unlike most weather-war-winners, Lickilicky puts a stop to all weather conditions, allowing no one the privilege of using weather.
:567: :547: :560: ;463; ;094;
I also was lacking a dedicated Special Attacker for the team, and so Gengar fitted well into the spot mentioned.
:567: :547: :560: ;463; ;094; ;423;
Finally, my team still needed some support for weather in case Lickilicky fell due to his inferior stats, so Gastrodon picked up the role.
On to the team:

Troll-eops
tumblr_lzsf9zxtVc1qkgg0bo1_500.png

Archeops @ Flying Gem
Defeatist
Naïve
IV’s (31, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31)
EV’s 252Attack/252Speed/4Sp.Attack
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Hidden Power Ice
Archeops is an absolute beast in double battles with this moveset. STAB Acrobatics kills absolutely everything sooner or later, 2KO even Ferrothorn. Rock Slide is a STAB must, hitting both opponents at once without negative side affects to it’s ally. Earthquake forms the famous EdgeQuake combo, also beneficial in double battles. The final move is Hidden Power Ice, hitting Gliscor, Landorus ad most Dragons for 4x effectiveness. The IV’s are given to let speed tie with Gengar and Latios.

Lol-sicott
tumblr_lzsfe72HTN1qkgg0bo1_400.png

Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
Prankster
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
-Worry Seed
-Tail Wind
-Protect/Taunt
-Giga Drain
Whimsicott is the main reason that Archeops is so viable in the double battle metagame. With priority Worry Seed, Whimsi allows me to remove Archeops’ Defeatist, as well as taking away Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, Swift Swim and other power or speed boosting abilities. Tail Wind is a solution for Trick Room teams, who try to out-slow me, as well as doubling my team’s speed for easier sweeps. Protect is a must for Double battles, and allows Whimsi to avoid wayward Earthquakes from Archeops. Taunt is to Taunt Taunters who try to Taunt my Taunter (confused yet?). Giga Drain is to prevent Whimsi from being Taunt bait, also giving him some semi-reliable recovery.

Spr_5b_560.png

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Shed Skin
Careful
248HP/252Sp.Def/8Attack
-Drain Punch
-Bulk Up
-Rest
-Ice Punch/Crunch
Scrafty is amazing. Absol-utely amazing. He can perform the job of three Pokemon with one. He can be an offensive threat, or a Defence of Sp.Defence wall, aiding in some important factors within my team. Shed Skin helps to heal me from status, as well as helping to cut down the time Rest keeps me asleep. Bulk Up turns Scrafty from a wall to, well, a wall that can actually mildly threaten things. Drain Punch is the standard STAB, also aiding in healing Scrafty. Crunch is the secondary STAB, and also gives perfect coverage, except against a few (very few) opponents. Ice Punch, however, give better power against Dragons and Gliscor and Landorus.

Spr_5b_463.png

Lickilicky @ Chople Berry
Cloud Nine
Relaxed
252HP/218Sp.Def/40Sp.Att
-Muddy Water/Surf
-Return/Explosion
-Power Whip
-Protect
Ahh, Lickilicky, the extremely underated pink licking… thing. Anyway, Lickilicky is a game changer, and all because of its Dream World ability Nintendo granted it. Cloud Nine takes away all effects of the weather that might bring an advantage to the opponent. The EVs are a personal preference, and although I haven’t run any damage calculations on it, the current set brings its Attack and SP.Attack up to the same stat total. The rest is dumped into HP and SP.Defence, due to the fact that Politoed and Ninetales are both Sp.Attackers, so it gives better weather protection. Chople Berry protects against Fighting types, specifically Hitmontop’s Tech-Mach Punch, who is extremely prevalent in VGC. Return is the STAB, however Explosion, while it has been nerfed, is still a reliable way of getting rid of my opponents, along as my Pokemon uses Protect (or Gengar). Muddy Water hits both of my opponents for damage, and is SE against Tyranitar and Ninetales. Surf does the same thing, with better accuracy, however it does damage to my ally, unless Gastrodon whom gets a Sp.Attack boost from it. Power Whip is the second weather killer, hitting both Politoed and Tyranitar for SE. Protect is the last move, allowing him to take an extra turn without damage, pairing nicely with Earthquake from Archeops.

Spr_5b_094.png

Gengar @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid
252Sp.Attack/252Speed/4HP
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Bolt
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Hidden Power (Ice)/Energy Ball
-Focus Blast/Protect
Gengar is one of my favourite Ghosts. He is just a laid-back guy with a seriously creep grin that likes to prank people getting up in his grill. And he has the stats to do it. While most people like SubDisable or SubSplit Gengar more, I felt that a pure offence Gengar would benefit my team more. Shadow Ball is the STAB of choice, and has a handy tendency to lower the opponent’s Sp.Defence, helping Gengar out even more. Thunderbolt is a handy move, with a chance to paralyse, which is always beneficial when you are only just speed tieing with certain threats *cough*Latios*cough* . Thunderbolt is also a great way of dealing with bulky waters, unless they are Water/Ground. Hidden Power Fire is an easy way of dealing with Ferrrothorn, who otherwise I have no easy counters for (unless Scrafty gets a Bulk-Up or two). Hidden Power Ice yadda yadda, said this before, hits Dragons and Grounds hard. Energy Ball, while not adding much type coverage, give me an effective way of dealing Water/Ground types, who, while not unstoppable, do add a bit of a blockage to my rampage. Focus Blast gives me near-perfect coverage with Shadow Ball, however the accuracy is in issue when it can cost me the game. Protect is Protect, and is always helpful in double battles. Gengar is also an extremely useful partner for anyone in my team, being able to take zero damage from Earthquake and Explosion, and doing severe damage to physical walls.

Spr_5b_423E.png

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Storm Drain
Bold
252HP/252Def/4Sp.Att
-Muddy Water
-Icebeam
-Toxic/Hidden Power Grass/Earthpower
-Protect/Recover
Gastrodon is the final Pokemon to round out my team. While many teams are using it to much the same extent as I am, the team that has evolved around it is drastically different. Storm Drain is key on this set, drawing in non-double water moves to boost my Sp.Attack. Muddy Water is the Primary STAB, hitting both opponents for solid damage. Icebeam is excellent for coverage, hitting Grass types for SE damage. Toxic is used to wear away my opponent’s walls, which Gastrodon is more than capable of staying in to do. Hidden Power Gras is fairly unique, as it allows me to counter the Water/Ground types that try to switch in and wall my Gastrodon. Earthpower is a secondary STAB, getting great coverage across the board. Protect is standard for Double battles, and helps me to out-stall opponents for Toxic damage. Recover, however, allows me to recover extra HP to stay in longer.

There we go, that is my VGC/IT team. I look forward to your constructive criticism. I have not played competitive Doubles, so any helpful information will be taken to heart.

Archeops @ Flying Gem
Defeatist
Naïve
IV’s (31, 30, 30, 31, 31, 31)
EV’s 252Attack/252Speed/4Sp.Attack
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Hidden Power Ice

Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
Prankster
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
-Worry Seed
-Tail Wind
-Protect/Taunt
-Giga Drain

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Shed Skin
Careful
248HP/252Sp.Def/8Attack
-Drain Punch
-Bulk Up
-Rest
-Ice Punch/Crunch

Lickilicky @ Chople Berry
Cloud Nine
Relaxed
252HP/218Sp.Def/40Sp.Att
-Muddy Water/Surf
-Return/Explosion
-Power Whip
-Protect

Gengar @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid
252Sp.Attack/252Speed/4HP
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Bolt
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Hidden Power (Ice)/Energy Ball
-Focus Blast/Protect

Gastrodon @ Rindo Berry
Storm Drain
Bold
252HP/252Def/4Sp.Att
-Muddy Water
-Icebeam
-Toxic/Hidden Power Grass/Earthpower
-Protect/Recover
P.S. I did the Photoshopping

Last edited:

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
People probably aren't rating this because it is already an excellent team. Counters weather, or rids of it, which is something that is extremely popular. You have a good strategy to get rid of Archeops cursed ability and let him sweep with his monstrous attack. It might have some small things wrong but i think it's a pretty good team.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Has similar viability like a team I posted (I centered on Regigigas). The only thing I can really pick at is that Archeops is a frailer choice and has three priority moves to watch out for (Ice Shard, Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet). But then again, Regigigas has similar issues with Technician Mach Punch Hitmontop.

Also, don't be too hard up on rates for VGC teams. Everyone seems to have gotten tight lipped so to speak. Guess no one wants people to figure out their battle style / tactics with the VGC a little more than a month away.

zerofield

i miss miror
I'd use leech seed over giga drain on whimsicott. As a prankster taunter, its virtually impossible to taunt. Leech seed wears down the opponent and provides some recovery as well. It also meshes well with protect.

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
Wow, thanks for the compliment. I never thought I could make such a good team, even if it is in the early hours of rating. This is my first doubles team, so I am surprised I have gone so well. Fair enough people don't want to give their strategies, it is just that VGC isn't supported in Australia so I gave making a team a shot.
I'd use leech seed over giga drain on whimsicott. As a prankster taunter, its virtually impossible to taunt. Leech seed wears down the opponent and provides some recovery as well. It also meshes well with protect.
Fair enough, Leech Seed is very viable, but how useful is it in Doubles? Also, without any speed investment, other Whimsicott can out-speed Taunt me, as well as max Speed Timid Thud/Tornadus.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Fair enough, Leech Seed is very viable, but how useful is it in Doubles? Also, without any speed investment, other Whimsicott can out-speed Taunt me, as well as max Speed Timid Thud/Tornadus.

Considering you can leech seed BOTH opponents... very viable if you have the right defensive sets. Also considering everything is going to start beaning on Archeops after a worry seed, you may pull off a successful leech seed set up.

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
Considering you can leech seed BOTH opponents... very viable if you have the right defensive sets. Also considering everything is going to start beaning on Archeops after a worry seed, you may pull off a successful leech seed set up.

Ok, Thanks. I will make changes accordingly. Also, how are the EV's for each of my 'mons, especially Lickilicky whom I made my own EV set.
Edit: What move should I remove in order to make room for Leech Seed? And which of Protect/Taunt should I use?