• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ORAS Casual Battle Team

RefreezePR

Just trying to help
Hey there everyone! I made a team for casual battles against friends and such that was basically comprised of my favorite pokemon with the best that I could make them. So here we go:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Adamant, Blaze (Tough Claws)
144HP, 252Atk, 112Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Yeah so this is basically a bulky set up charizard, I switch in when its safe, set up the dragon dances, heal up with roost, and enjoy my time. Mostly built bulky to withstand stuff but 112 evs in speed to outspeed most threats when at +1

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid, Levitate
4Hp, 252SpAtk, 252Spee
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This Gengar is built for revenge kills and wall breaking with the taunt, I opted for focus blast over substitute for more coverage but feel free to tell me if this team comp requires something else.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Calm, Trace
248Hp, 8SpAtk, 252SpDef
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Magic Coat
- Will-O-Wisp

This Gardevoir is made to be a lead/support, good offensive coverage and will-o-wisp to ruin physical sweeper's days. I choose leftovers for the increased survivability.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Jolly, Iron Fist
252Atk, 4SpD, 252Spee
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

This infernape was built to go down in a blaze of glory destroying everything in it's path, because thats how I like Infernape. Feel free to tell me if you think scarf is a better option with this team though.

Simisage @ Life Orb
Hasty (+Spe, -Def), Overgrow
252Atk, 4SpAtk, 252Spee
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- Knock Off

This simisage was built to be a mixed attacker to help balance out the team. I've also got knock off to get rid of those pesky leftovers. Life Orb is there to boost up the damage.

Poliwrath @ Muscle Band
Careful (+SpD, -SPAtk), Water Absorb
248Hp, 72Atk, 180Def, 8SpDef
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

I wasn't exactly sure whether I should use Bulk Up Poliwrath for this team or RestTalk, in the end I chose this but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I built it to be a physical wall while still able to do some good damage.

Overall I feel pretty ok about this team, even if I'm still a little on the fence about Poliwrath and which way I should go with him. Obviously it'll never stand up in competitive but I'm hoping that the team's overall synergy will net me the advantage in casual battles against friends.

Just as a note, I'm not willing to change the pokemon but I'm very open to advice (why I posted it here in the first place XD) on movesets and builds and such. So go ahead and tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Bigheaded

King of the Wooper
first thing to point out is there's a typo on charizard, you've said you've put EV's in speed, but according to the pokemon stats it doesn't.

hopefully onto serious stuff now :p

No entry hazards or spinner, whilst against friends this may not be necessary, it can really really dent other charizards which are popular and you will find your own could get hit pretty hard by stealth rock also.

Flare blitz is something to consider on charizard over fire punch, to really smash a hole into the opposing team. Fire punch is possibly the better option, but if you find you're lacking power, it's worth considering.
Personally, i wouldn't change the gengar. Looks good.
Gardevoir i personally would say fits the team least well, as will o wisp is only ever going to hit a physical sweeper if the sweeper switches into gardevoir. Personally, would choose a spinner to remove stealth rock for charizard. I realise you have said you did not want poke changes, One option would be Mandibuzz, which can act as both physical and special wall, access to defog, has toxic to spread status, and can hit physical sweepers hard with foul play. There are several other options also.
Infernape is fine, would not suggest anything else.
Simisage i don't think is particularly strong, as defensively it will get crushed. I am sure you are aware of this but want to use it for style. May be worth considering endeavor with a focus sash, although it is not fast enough to outspeed everything, it outspeeds a decent amount. Although if you play the same friend often, this trick will generally only work once.
Poliwrath - Definitely not resttalk, as that's really for stall where you're aiming to rack up entry hazard damage. I find the nature a bit odd and EV's just as odd. any particular reason for them to be like that? Personally would use 252 hp, 252 SpDef and 4 def, just to make sure he will survive as long as possible. Although without any form of healing, it's more about getting one bulk up in, then doing as much damage as possible and i'm unsure what spread is best for that.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on individuals.
As a team, as i mentioned, you are using what seems to be hyper offense of basically using mostly attacking moves and hoping to simply break walls. So resistances don't matter too much, due to you not needing to switch often, but worth noting you have nothing at all resistant to flying and nothing for ghost either. Talonflame could be an issue as it hits hard and fast (another reason that stealth rock may be a good idea, to hit flying types for around 25-50% of their hp for switching in)
You have 3 pokemon WEAK to flying, which could easily be an issue, especially seeing you have no resistance to it and 3 pokemon weak to psychic with only one resistant (gardevoir)
Adding in a steel type could easily change this up, such as metagross for poliwrath.

This is simply my thoughts and what i perceive your team to be weak against. Mandibuzz suggestion was simply because i'd seen him used to good effect recently in OU, not because i believe him to be the best option (as after looking at weaknesses, i would be looking for something to either setup stealth rock, or a spinner, who resists both psychic and flying moves).

As it is, you're individual pokemon are pretty much fine. Just could use a few modifications as a team to cover up weaknesses, although i respect the fact it's against friends and doesn't matter too much generally.