• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

ORAS has better graphics on the 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaden767

Amphetamine
It bothers me but I've seen some people praise the chibi style graphics as being more consistent with the DPPT graphics. But I think the overworld looks too boring in the chibi style.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
ORAS>>> BDSP
But I still liked the chibi style of BDSP, although some areas looked horrible. Like that forest before the Fighting gym city

Kaede45

What bothers me is that there are so many people who are willing to defend &/or ignore a lot of BDSP's shortcomings & will reduce legitimate criticism to the tiniest detail as if it were just superficial complaints! But this has been happening since SwSh where people reduce a lot of the criticism it receives to "you're just upset that Ratata & Weedle aren't in it" when that's only a small portion of the larger issue. The fact that BDSP has essentially been abandoned by the devs at this point, that there are no plans to broaden its Pokedex, that it was planned to be supplanted by the next game (Arceus) & only receive support for a few months while STILL costing just as much as the "competitive standard" games is absolutely appalling & as much as I hate to say it, but I'm ready to look for a Pokemon alternative made by developers who are more than willing to TRY to keep longtime fans happy while they try to broaden their audience...

I apologize if I've offended anyone by my words. I hope you all have a wonderful day & God bless.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Technically yes. I honestly wish they would roll out a update for easy difficulty, more pokemon usable and options to turn the chibi graphics off.

Omega Ruby only has a few major flaws.
1-The 3DS effect can be nauseating.
2-Dex-Nav is frustrating since it doesn't always detect those THAT CAN ONLY BE FOUND WITH IT.
3-HM's are mandatory in ridiculous areas like the Rock Smash North of Mauville City.
4-GTS is flooded by many hackers making manual searching risky since it can softlock the 3DS forcing a reboot.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Technically yes. I honestly wish they would roll out a update for easy difficulty, more pokemon usable and options to turn the chibi graphics off.

Omega Ruby only has a few major flaws.
1-The 3DS effect can be nauseating.
2-Dex-Nav is frustrating since it doesn't always detect those THAT CAN ONLY BE FOUND WITH IT.
3-HM's are mandatory in ridiculous areas like the Rock Smash North of Mauville City.
4-GTS is flooded by many hackers making manual searching risky since it can softlock the 3DS forcing a reboot.

That's what you considered ORAS' flaws to be? Not things like missing Emerald content, sticking to the same Hoenn Dex and replicating its variety issues instead of giving it a real, Platinum-esque dex expansion, and having little to no new areas or postgame content aside from a story arc that lasts all of an hour before it's done for good?

Graphics wise, it does bother me a little bit that the newer games are far more graphically advanced, but that's far from my biggest concern. It's the content being near identical to the original, not the graphics that concern me. DP was fine for its time, but newer games are far more advanced when it comes to Pokemon selection, map designs, and various gameplay features and game modes that make it feel nearly obsolete.

TwilightBlade

sticking to the same Hoenn Dex and replicating its variety issues instead of giving it a real, Platinum-esque dex expansion
But why would anyone expect a Platinum style Dex overhaul in ORAS? Platinum was a third version of DP that was meant to have new features as an upgrade of DP whereas ORAS were remakes of RS designed to pander to nostalgia. So of course ORAS were going to have the same Dex as RS just for the sake of keeping it consistent with the original RS.

To answer the OP I said from the start that the BDSP graphics were horrible. And the crux of the issue for me isn't that the graphics look too small but rather that the overworld didn't change that much. I mean compare the changes to the overworld between GS and HGSS and you'll see that GF was way more creative with changes in those games than these. :[

Leonhart

Imagineer
I do wish that the graphics in these remakes were at least on-par with the graphics of the 3DS core games. The overworld looks too similar to D/P's, which in my opinion made buying these games seem rather pointless since I could have a similar gaming experience by simply replaying D/P again.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But why would anyone expect a Platinum style Dex overhaul in ORAS? Platinum was a third version of DP that was meant to have new features as an upgrade of DP whereas ORAS were remakes of RS designed to pander to nostalgia. So of course ORAS were going to have the same Dex as RS just for the sake of keeping it consistent with the original RS.

Because nostalgia doesn't work well if you're replicating the game's mistakes along with its successes. If you have the means to fix an issue with the original game but you refuse to, then you're just tying one hand behind your back and letting the game's flaws get exposed for players to realize the game isn't as good as they remember. So I see no reason to make a distinction between the dex expansions they started doing in third versions like Platinum, BW2, and USUM and dex expansions in remakes, they should've started doing the latter along with the former instead of just adding in a handful of cross gen evos that barely move the needle.

At any rate, we have over 900 Pokemon now. There's no excuse to have Flint style situations because of small, horribly unbalanced regional dexes (and it's not just DP Sinnoh, ALL of the early series regional dexes have the same issue on some level) in anything other than a straight port of the originals (and I mean like, a VC/NSO-esque copy/paste of the original game, not a remaster/remake put onto a new game cart on a newer console). Other than that, I don't want to see another small 150-200ish regional dex with only 1 or 2 Dragon families or something ever again because it SIGNFICANTLY holds the game back. The 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes we see in the newer regions are what every regional dex from now on should be like.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Yes. This was my issue with doing a direct translation of DP, which was mostly simple abstraction. Felt the same way about Let's Go's Kanto. ORAS was chibi, but also made an effort to modernize the world map for 3D. As an example.

Mossdeep_City_Space_Center_RS.png
Orasw1164.png
It’s are amazing
My fav Pokemon games
Made use of both nostalgia and amazing additions

Kaede45

At any rate, we have over 900 Pokemon now. There's no excuse to have Flint style situations because of small, horribly unbalanced regional dexes (and it's not just DP Sinnoh, ALL of the early series regional dexes have the same issue on some level) in anything other than a straight port of the originals (and I mean like, a VC/NSO-esque copy/paste of the original game, not a remaster/remake put onto a new game cart on a newer console). Other than that, I don't want to see another small 150-200ish regional dex with only 1 or 2 Dragon families or something ever again because it SIGNFICANTLY holds the game back. The 300-400 Pokemon regional dexes we see in the newer regions are what every regional dex from now on should be like.

Speaking of having over 900 Pokémon, can we talk about how every new one introduced in SwSh have appeared in NO OTHER mainline Pokémon games? Even the new dynamax/gigantimax system is NOWHERE besides SwSh! Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I feel that this does not bode well for the series going forward…

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Speaking of having over 900 Pokémon, can we talk about how every new one introduced in SwSh have appeared in NO OTHER mainline Pokémon games? Even the new dynamax/gigantimax system is NOWHERE besides SwSh! Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I feel that this does not bode well for the series going forward…

Can't tell if serious. There are a few appearing in SV (so far Stonjourner, Chewtle, and Coalossal), so SV will certainly break that pattern. And it's not really reasonable to expect Dynamax back when SwSh dumped Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Also not really related to BDSP that well. You could say that maybe they could've thrown a couple into BDSP's post game (and maybe Mr. Rime in the Sinnoh Dex), but they probably weren't going to have much because they wanted you to have a reason to still buy SwSh.

Really that's another roster complaint I have with BDSP though. Nothing whatsoever outside of the 493 that existed in the original. Not even freaking Sylveon which just about everyone assumed would be added. Just literally pretending that it's 2006 again and nothing exists beyond #493. Like, I know that Dexit is a thing, but even the older remakes had a selection of newer Pokemon added to their post game. If Dexit were in effect in those games, there'd be an extra 100-200 Pokemon added onto a post game expansion or something, but BDSP didn't even have that much. Again, the 4th gen National Dex feels closer to what the BDSP Sinnoh Dex should've been like. The game as a whole should've had somewhere more in the range of 600ish.

Kaede45

Can't tell if serious. There are a few appearing in SV (so far Stonjourner, Chewtle, and Coalossal), so SV will certainly break that pattern. And it's not really reasonable to expect Dynamax back when SwSh dumped Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Also not really related to BDSP that well. You could say that maybe they could've thrown a couple into BDSP's post game (and maybe Mr. Rime in the Sinnoh Dex), but they probably weren't going to have much because they wanted you to have a reason to still buy SwSh.
Sorry, I should’ve phrased my post better. What I meant was that none of the Pokémon introduced in SwSh have appeared in any other mainline GEN 8 Pokémon game. Neither BDSP or LA include any Pokémon from SwSh & don’t have the Dynamax mechanic (introduced in this generation). SV is gen 9, the next generation of Pokémon games & therefore pertains to my point that gen 8 introduced new Pokémon & mechanics then did nothing with them for the rest of its lifetime. That is what worries me, especially when coupled with the fact that they’ve stated that no Pokémon games going forward will include all Pokémon…

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Sorry, I should’ve phrased my post better. What I meant was that none of the Pokémon introduced in SwSh have appeared in any other mainline GEN 8 Pokémon game. Neither BDSP or LA include any Pokémon from SwSh & don’t have the Dynamax mechanic (introduced in this generation). SV is gen 9, the next generation of Pokémon games & therefore pertains to my point that gen 8 introduced new Pokémon & mechanics then did nothing with them for the rest of its lifetime. That is what worries me, especially when coupled with the fact that they’ve stated that no Pokémon games going forward will include all Pokémon…
It might even be useless to even use the term "generation" anymore when all the new Pokemon games have their own Pokemon selections, graphics, gameplay mechanics, and the inability to communicate outside of Bank.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I wouldn’t worry so much that dynamax does not appear in any games outside of Sword and Shield. It was stated clearly in the games that dynamax only occurs in Galar as a result of Galar particles. That mechanic was made clear that it was only going to be there for these games.

Kaede45

I wouldn’t worry so much that dynamax does not appear in any games outside of Sword and Shield. It was stated clearly in the games that dynamax only occurs in Galar as a result of Galar particles. That mechanic was made clear that it was only going to be there for these games.
That just makes me MORE worried! It tells me that there is no point in getting invested in any new mechanics introduced into later Pokémon games as they can just be replaced or removed entirely with whatever game comes next! I never really liked dynamax to begin with, but knowing that it was never meant to feature outside SwSh is like finding out that the battle system will change from turn based to action style to I don’t know Tetris style(?) over the course of 3 games!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
All of the remakes have their own pros and cons. FRLG had the horrible Roar Entei/Raikou glitch, HGSS’s Voltorb Flip is passable at best for the removal of the slot machines and original Game Corner but rather infuriating when you finally get to a high level and make a mistake and get dropped two levels as a result, and ORAS still had the issue where navigating the currents on the one Route makes it impossible to tell which way you’ll go.

Luthor

Well the reason a lot speculated so was because of how prominently they showed Porygon-Z in the trailer. Given that is a platinum dex pokemon only in Sinnoh it made it a logical speculation (as it seemed odd for a pokemon to be featured when its not in the main dex). The other reasons are ORAS actually has a different dex to Ruby and Sapphire which helped its elite 4 issues slightly. The difference from the original Hoenn Pokédex is that 9 new Pokémon were added. (Gallade, Rhyperior, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingling, Probopass & Froslass). Now while these are all connected by evolution they have excluded evolved forms from a dex in the remakes before (firered/leafgreen) and were limited to post-game and therefore it wasn't clear what they would do. There's also the let's go factor which didn't add evolutions but did add regional forms and completely rework the gym battles. It also did expand the dex slightly with Meltan and Melmetal. There's also sylveon which does evolves from existing Pokemon in eevee and thus at least it being added seemed logical (but didn't happen). There's also the Rotom Factor which is a Sinnoh Pokemon which could deal with a lot of the type issues by itself thanks to its forms (which unlike in platinum now changes types when it changes forms). I think an expanded dex was optimistic but not that surprising a hope in a region which already has had an expanded dex in a game. In the end it didn't happen and that's ok but it makes sense to me that there was that speculation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.