• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[ORAS OU] Meteor Masher Takes the Stage

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Introduction

Hello and welcome to my first RMT in a while. For those of you that know me, you'll know that I returned to Competitive Pokemon at the release of ORAS after being on hiatus for the second half of XY. You also may know that I've gotten a bit better, or people in general have gotten a bit worse. Whatever. This is the second successful team I've made since coming back, and with the Greninja ban looming over our heads, I think it's time to for the team to retire. This is the team I used to carry myself through the second half of Eliteknight's Santa's Helper tour, tying Meliekpie for second place. While fairly standard, I've had a lot of fun using Mega-Metagross and will probably make a new team with him soon. Also, this team was built around the end of Legend of Korra, the fourth season of which has become one of my all time favorite seasons of television. As such, I decided to name the Pokemon after the characters of the show. So, I hope you enjoy, and please leave comments / rates. Also, I apologize for any weirdness in the formatting, now that I go back and look while editing the BBCode is all really weird and messed up. I'm not sure what happened.

attachment.php
|
attachment.php
|
heatran.png
|
landorus-therian.png
|
rotom-wash.png
|
latias.png

Teambuilding Process

attachment.php

I started with Mega Metagross because I knew that it was the pokemon I wanted to build a team around.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The next pokemon I added was Greninja. Greninja added a second win condition to the team, being able to be used to set up a Mega Metagross sweep. Alternatively, the two pokemon could swap roles, allowing Mega Metagross to set up a late game Greninja sweep.

attachment.php
attachment.php
heatran.png

I next added Heatran. Heatran's main purpose was to set up Stealth Rocks for obvious purposes. He also provided an answer to Ferrothorn, which, despite Hammer Arm and Low Kick on Mega Metagross and Greninja respectively, plagued my offensive core.

attachment.php
attachment.php
heatran.png
landorus-therian.png
rotom-wash.png

I next added Landorus-Therian and Rotom-Wash. In all honestly, I'm a sucker for Volt-Turn and love using it. Landorus-Therian and Rotom-Wash also have their own merits. Landorus-Therian's scarf set provided me with a solid scout, and even a third win condition as a late game sweeper if I needed it, Rotom-Wash's Will-O-Wisps have been essential to removing physical threats to my team.

attachment.php
attachment.php
heatran.png
landorus-therian.png
rotom-wash.png
latias.png

The final Pokemon I added was Latias, as a way of controlling Entry Hazards and adding a little more bulk to my team.

The Team - In Depth

tumblr_nenxsrGFvI1rdfsmyo3_500.gif

Kuvira (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

The Pokemon that started the team, named after Kuvira the metalbending villain of Season 4, one of my personal favorite villains ever. Clear Body is the obvious choice for pre-mega ability, allowing you to not have your attack lowered by Intimidate or something. EVs and Nature allow for maximum speed so you can tie Latios, max speed latias, and other base 110s, as well as insuring you outspeed some other random stuff that you wouldn't if you ran an attack boosting nature, like infernape or something. Hammer Arm is to hit Ferrothorn, though it requires some prior damage. I prefer to handle Ferrothorn before hand or at least get it down to 50%, because if it survives the Hammer Arm Mega Metagross will be at -1 Speed, it'll take Iron Arms and potentially Rocky Helmet damage, and probably get leech seeded by ferrothorn, losing another 24% to leech seed damage over two turns. Typically I'll bring in Metagross on a pokemon it can revenge KO with Bullet Punch and Mega Evolve then.

tumblr_mt3x90hbmg1rsrgi4o1_500.gif

Korra (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot

Greninja is named after Korra because it's ability Protean allows it to have STAB in every type, much like how the Avatar is an expert in the four elements. But you already knew that. This moveset is by far Greninja's best, allowing it to hit many of it's usual checks and counters for super effective damage. Often times, I'll use it mid-game to weaken my opponents team to allow a mega metagross sweep, then bring it back to full health late game with a Healing Wish from Latias in order to finish off the dregs of the enemy squad. Greninja is a force to be reckoned with, often paving the way to victory for my team.

tumblr_mt3x90hbmg1rsrgi4o2_500.gif

Mako (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

This Heatran is named for Mako, the firebender of Team Avatar, and often the most calm and collected of the group. Originally I used a Specially Defensive set, though I soon switched to this more offensively oriented set. This set allows me to check Clefable and Mega Altaria if Air Balloon is still up, as well as checking other Heatran. On top of all that, it is my hazard setter and main answer to Ferrothorn. This team is the first time I have used this Heatran set, and I have fallen in love with it. I chose to run a third attack over taunt because I felt that the third attack (in this case flash cannon) would be useful in more situations, despite the fact that taunt completely shuts down Ferrothorn, as well as more stall oriented pokemon.

tumblr_m3s1wavnIz1qfyx1wo1_r1_500.gif

Bolin (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I named my Landorus-Therian after Bolin, the fun loving earthbender of the group. And indeed, Landorus-Therian is often darting in and out throughout the game. I use him a lot in the early game to scout out my opponents sets, knock off some of their items, and even maybe score a lucky KO. Granted, this set isn't exactly difficult to use, which is probably why it's probably the most used Pokemon and set in OU right now. It's scouting abilities have proven essential to the team success, and I hardly ever build a team without it.

tumblr_n8km4iyLYR1ro0n55o2_250.gif

Varrick (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Named after the crazy inventor Varrick, Rotom-Wash was an obvious choice of partner for both Mega Metagross and Landorus-Therian. Rotom-Wash's Will-O-Wisps only add to Mega Metagross's impressive bulk by burning pokemon that may threaten it's sweep. Those same burns also prove extremely helpful to Landorus-Therian, especially once compounded on by Intimidate. Rotom-Wash also forms a nice Volt-Turn core with Landorus-Therian, giving me momentum and free switches. One of my two pivots, Rotom-Wash is often used as a sponge for damage and allows for a smoother and less risky transition from one Pokemon to another. I opted for a Leftovers and Pain Split set over a ChestoRest set because, lets face it, who uses ChestoRest? I don't even understand why it was really used in the first place. I personally feel that Pain Split is more useful over time, especially if used on predicted switches to healthy pokemon to deal a good portion of damage while healing a good amount of HP.

tumblr_mvz5shdVIf1ruu897o6_250.gif

Jinora (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Roost

Latias is named after Jinora, the young airbending master that earned her tattoos at the end of season three. One of the most spiritual characters on the show, I thought it would be a fitting name for Latias. As stated in the Teambuilding Process earlier, I added Latias because I needed a method of Entry Hazard control. I opted for Latias instead of Latios because I felt that my team was fairly frail so far, and that the bulkier Latias would function well as a second pivot. On top of that, Healing Wish has ended up becoming a cornerstone of the team. Often times, an opponent will think he or she has won the match after paralyzing or burning Mega Metagross. Healing Wish allows me to bring it back to full health and cure it's status ailment, ready for another go at a sweep. Other times, I've revived Greninja from the brink of death (or consciousness) in order to decimate my opponents team and secure a win. After a suggestion by Moonclawz, I removed Defog and replaced it with Roost. Moonclawz pointed out that most of my team is either neutral or resists Stealth Rocks, and thus removing rocks is not as much of a priority. Roost allows me to keep Latias healthy, saving Healing Wish for the most dire of situations.

Conclusion

This has easily been one of my favorite teams I've built since BW2 OU. Nothing quite compares to the feeling you get after outplaying an opponent with a clever play with Landorus-Therian, Rotom-Wash, and Latias, or sweeping with Mega Metagross or Greninja, or even just smashing another Heatran with Earth Power. I'm very sad to have to retire this team. Again, feel free to leave any comments/suggestions/praise/critiques/questions you may have. It'll make me super happy just to know that you read my RMT.

Last edited:

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Reserved incase I decide to post a threatlist or something if I get bored lol

Moonclawz

Aura Trainer
Hi Aeon,

This is a really solid team here. This team has excellent synergy and I like the Rotom-W+Lando-T+Heatran Core (in fact I've used that core a lot myself).

As Greninja is probably going to get banned soon, I think you could try replacing it with a Choice Specs Keldeo. Keldeo, although not as fast as Greninja, is similar in that it has a similar typing and can hit very hard. Keldeo can also help weaken Mega-metagross checks like Ferrothorn (with Secret Sword), Rotom-W (Secret Sword does 50-60ish and even a resisted Hydro Pump does almost 50%) and Heatran.

Finally, I think you can try using Roost or another coverage move over Defog on Latias. Your team right now isn't very Stealth Rocks weak -every team member takes neutral damage or less so Defog isn't really necessary. Instead, Roost will help Latias better take on Pokemon like Keldeo who could otherwise weaken Latias to the point where it can't switch in. Although Roost + Healing Wish is a little weird, I think it's still usable. If you don't like Roost, you should definately consider running one of Thunderbolt (hits Skarmory hard and a lot of other Pokemon for neutral damage), Surf (hits Heatran and gets generally good coverage), HP Fire (can help weaken Ferrothorn for Mega-Metagross), and or even Earthquake (hits Tyranitar and Heatran).

Hope this helps! :]

Sets:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Wowie Moonclawz, thanks for the actual rate instead of just telling me this is a shitty RMT over xat. Choice Specs Keldeo is definitely something I've considered replacing Greninja with after the ban, and in fact I likely will if I ever need to use this team for something. I'm also definitely using your suggestion of Roost over Defog on Latias, that's definitely an excellent idea I had never though of.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Just a quick question, does your team have a way to deal with Mega Sableye or Mega Gyarados? From what I'm seeing, your team has a huge susceptibility to both of them, which is bad.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Just a quick question, does your team have a way to deal with Mega Sableye or Mega Gyarados? From what I'm seeing, your team has a huge susceptibility to both of them, which is bad.

No and no. I also lost crocune lol.