• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Oriental Mythos team

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
I was wondering if you guys can help me with the creation of a team.

In Emerald I'd recently made a Ninja Team, which went quite successful, albeit limited on choices since I realized there's not all that many ninja-ish pokemon.

However, in Soul Silver, I'm currently constructing a Japanese Mythology team, or a team that deals with Oni, Ghosts, any spirits in general.

So far I'm thinking of the following.

Ninetales
Nature: Timid
~Energy Ball
~Flamethrower/ Heat Wave
~Will-o-wisp/ Nasty Plot
~Dark Pulse/ Nasty Plot

The whole idea is of a Kitsune behind this one. A nine-tailed fox which can morph into a beautiful woman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune
Another variant to this is the Tamamo-no-Mae, the courtesan nine-tailed fox.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamamo-no-Mae

Froslass
~Blizzard/ Ice Beam
~Destiny Bond
~Spikes
~Shadow Ball

The idea of this one is Yuki-Onna, a spirit that lives in mountains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna

Spiritomb
Nature: Brave/ Quiet
Item: Leftovers (very important with the odd moves I'm giving it)
~Curse
~Nasty Plot/ Calm Mind
~Shadow Sneak
~Sucker Punch

This is a more abstract concept: Jibakurei - a ghost that is bound to a certain place, and also Spiritomb is a reference to the tradition of 108 chimes of a bell being rung on New Year's Eve.

Shiftry
Nature: Modest
~Nasty Plot
~Energy Ball
~Dark Pulse
~Explosion/ Synthesis (this is a matter of do I want him in longer, or kill things off?)

Based on a Tengu demon, and perhaps one of my favourite Pokemon designs, I can really say that he's a must in the squadron of pokemon for this team. Here's a bit about Tengu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

Chimecho
~Recover
~Charge Beam
~Yawn
~Energy Ball

A japanese wind chime, usually associated with temples, you might see them at festivals. Not so much a creature, as something festive oriented but fits tightly in the team premise.

Banette
Nature: Adamant
~Destiny Bond/Curse
~Thunder Wave/ Will-o-Wisp
~Shadow Claw
~Sucker Punch

A Tsukumogami - This one's based after a discarded object, or an object's 100th birthday. Can go either way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukumogami

Any other suggestions, perhaps different pokemon you think might fit into this spectrum for a team idea? I know instead of Banette I was also heavily concidering Gengar, since he's based after a "Shadow Person", and the concept Shadows being able to wield spirits, but I just don't feel it's really "Japanese".

I know another good one would be Jirachi, specifically since it has Sutra on its head, which are the tags that can either grant wishes, hold ritualistic prayers, etc. That's a fantastic pokemon, but again, it'd either take Chimecho's or Banette's place.

Thoughts on moves, Pokemon I could use, anything at all, please throw it my way!
;038;

Last edited:

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
I was wondering if you guys can help me with the creation of a team.

In Emerald I'd recently made a Ninja Team, which went quite successful, albeit limited on choices since I realized there's not all that many ninja-ish pokemon.

However, in Soul Silver, I'm not currently constructing a Japanese Mythology team, or a team that deals with Oni, Ghosts, any spirits in general.

So far I'm thinking of the following.

Ninetales
~Energy Ball
~Flamethrower/ Heat Wave
~Will-o-wisp/ Nasty Plot
~Dark Pulse/ Nasty Plot

The whole idea is of a Kitsune behind this one. A nine-tailed fox which can morph into a beautiful woman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune
Another variant to this is the Tamamo-no-Mae, the courtesan nine-tailed fox.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamamo-no-Mae
straight sweep works well with ninetails, it doesnt have enough bulk or speed to use WoW

Froslass
~Blizzard/ Ice Beam
~Destiny Bond
~thunderbolt
~Shadow Ball

The idea of this one is Yuki-Onna, a spirit that lives in mountains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna
spikes are no good in-game and it isnt your lead

Spiritomb
Nature: Brave/ Quiet
Item: Leftovers (very important with the odd moves I'm giving it)
~Curse
~pain split
~will-o-wisp
~Sucker Punch

This is a more abstract concept: Jibakurei - a ghost that is bound to a certain place, and also Spiritomb is a reference to the tradition of 108 chimes of a bell being rung on New Year's Eve.
shadow sneak, suckerpunch, and nasty plot on one set?? there are no special attacks and suckerpunch has much more power than shadow sneak. spiritomb has enough bulk to pull off WoW in-game

Shiftry
Nature: /modest/rash
~Nasty Plot
~Energy Ball
~Dark Pulse
~Explosion/ Synthesis (this is a matter of do I want him in longer, or kill things off?)

Based on a Tengu demon, and perhaps one of my favourite Pokemon designs, I can really say that he's a must in the squadron of pokemon for this team. Here's a bit about Tengu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu
if you run explosion use rash so you dont hinder your attack

Chimecho
~Recover
~Charge Beam
~Yawn
~Energy Ball

A japanese wind chime, usually associated with temples, you might see them at festivals. Not so much a creature, as something festive oriented but fits tightly in the team premise.
fine

Banette
Nature: Adamant
~Destiny Bond/Curse
~Thunder Wave/ Will-o-Wisp
~return/payback
~Sucker Punch

A Tsukumogami - This one's based after a discarded object, or an object's 100th birthday. Can go either way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukumogami
if you decide to use curse, slap on payback. but otherwise use return and destiny bond

Any other suggestions, perhaps different pokemon you think might fit into this spectrum for a team idea? I know instead of Banette I was also heavily concidering Gengar, since he's based after a "Shadow Person", and the concept Shadows being able to wield spirits, but I just don't feel it's really "Japanese".

I know another good one would be Jirachi, specifically since it has Sutra on its head, which are the tags that can either grant wishes, hold ritualistic prayers, etc. That's a fantastic pokemon, but again, it'd either take Chimecho's or Banette's place.

Thoughts on moves, Pokemon I could use, anything at all, please throw it my way!
;038;

hmmm I like the theme. I dont know too much about japanese mytho but another 'ghostly' pokemon would be shedinja

shedinja @ focus sash
jolly
swords dance
X scissor
shadow sneak
aerial ace

SD is self explanitory
X scissor is STAB
shadow sneak is STAB and priority
aerial ace covers fighting types who resist both STABs

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
Thanks a lot. :)

As for Ninetales, I was kind of concidering Will-o-Wisp mainly for the whole effect of Japanese spirit, which is basically what a will-o-wisp is, more-so than for it's usefulness, which concidering that Ninetales isn't too good at taking blows, a physical tamper wouldn't be half bad. Also, it was Ninetales signature move up until Gen III.

For Froslass, I'm still not exactly sure if I want a Spiker or an attacker, so I'll take your recommendation on Thunderbolt since it'll be far more usable in game. :)

o_O as for Spiritomb, what the heck was I doing there? Nasty plot and calm mind on a non-special set? .....special me... I think I'll still keep Shadow Sneak in, because after a few curses, with leftovers, and the prospect of priority stab, even a 40 damage will begin to seem rather daunting for the opponent to take. But yes, I'll eliminate my extremely EMBARRASING goof-up and put in Will-o-Wisp though. :)

By the way, I was concidering Ninjask, but there's nothing tracing it to any creature of Japanese mythos, so I'm sadly opting against it (and not to mention, it's a PAIN to raise. ) I did decide to swap out Banette for Gengar, but my OCD for a precise theme that I have is going to grind into me and then I'll probably go back into Banette/ Jirachi.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
This is an awesome team concept, I may have to borrow it and try it out myself. Probably do different movesets, but it's a neat set of Pokemon. I've always loved Ninetales, and I've wanted to try out a Froslass. I find it interesting how dark/ghost heavy the set of mythologically-themed Pokemon is.

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
This is an awesome team concept, I may have to borrow it and try it out myself. Probably do different movesets, but it's a neat set of Pokemon. I've always loved Ninetales, and I've wanted to try out a Froslass. I find it interesting how dark/ghost heavy the set of mythologically-themed Pokemon is.

^^ Wow, I'm actually flattered that you and the other poster like this theme!

I think there's a heavier focus on dark and ghost, because in Japan many of the creatures that belong to those myths, specifically the Tengu, and the Jibakurei (evil stone) are very potently and inadvertently Evil! :3 That's why I was so drawn to this theme, there's so much conflict of which pokemon are based after good, which are after evil, and so on. It gives me so much room to play.

I'm also now considering Breloom as it's based on a mushroom sprite, or even an Umbrella Tsukumogami.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
I think he meant "Fighting types who resist both STABs"

as opposed to:

"Fighting types, who resist both STABs"

The first is talking about any fighting types that might resist. The second is referring to the Fighting-type as a whole.

For example, Lucario would resist both Bug and Ghost type moves, but Aerial Ace would at least do neutral damage.

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
Eh, I'm not going to go with Shedinja. Honestly, not my cup of tea and I said, there's nothing truly tying it down to Japanese mythos.

And as far as:
This is a cool idea! Have you thought about using a pokemon that could be representative of an oni?

I've been looking around but I really can't spot any specific pokemon that have any association with an oni. Any recommendations?

Like I said, the only other Japanese folkloric creature I can think of are Brelooms, and aside from those the two pre-evolutions of Froslass and Banette, one which is based on a small japanese snow demon cloaked in straw-clothing which were typical of villagers in the north (Snorunt's the runt I'm talking about), and Shuppet happens to be based after a small origami of a ghost that is sometimes made at festivals, or the little ghost puppets that are charms in japan by tying a tiny little ball with cloth at the bottom so it looks like a bubble headed little ghost with a stereotypical cartoon bottom. :S

Tough stuff.....

finnugold

I can't think of any oni-like pokemon...
However, you could use a zigzagoon as a tanuki. Lombre also loosely resembles a kappa.
Edit: Milotic as a funadama, Hypno as a baku, Rapidash as a ki-lin, Ho-oh as feng-huang if you're okay with legendaries...

Last edited:

Night Avenger

Rust In Peace
I'm for replacing Banette for Ludicolo or Golduck (Kappa). Zoroark would fit awesomely here.

Dresden

Pokémon Master
I'm for replacing Banette for Ludicolo or Golduck (Kappa). Zoroark would fit awesomely here.

I'm sick of hearing about Zoroark, and it doesn't even exist yet. Seriously, it's become the new Lucario. Everybody thinks it's the ****. It's just another Pokemon, and this one looks like a glorified werewolf.

marto_motoko

Steel Trainer
I can't think of any oni-like pokemon...
However, you could use a zigzagoon as a tanuki. Lombre also loosely resembles a kappa.
Edit: Milotic as a funadama, Hypno as a baku, Rapidash as a ki-lin, Ho-oh as feng-huang if you're okay with legendaries...

(it annoys me I cannot quote more than one person...that's stupid)

Anyway, I did concider a Zigzagoon for Tanuki, but again, it comes down to usefulness, and while you can (obviously) tell that there's little slot in my mind for "POWA, GIMME POWA!!" a Zigzagoon just doesn't quite heavily seem as something I'd be taking to the Elite Four anytime soon. :\

Hypno's a brilliant idea! I've no clue why I didn't concider a Baku despite the clear reference of its pre-evolution's shape, or his own personality! Milotic seems like a much looser translation of a Funadama to be honest.

Ho-oh will definitely be finding his way into my ranks eventually, the feng-huang is far too symbolic to pass up, but granted since I'm playing Soul Silver it's going to be a beautiful long quite before I even see that rainbow chicken.... :(

I have to agree with Dresden on a Kappa being more-so Golduck's turf than Lombre. Lombre don't quite have the beak or body type for it, while Golduck have always been known for their origin being inspired by Kappa. I do need a good water pokemon though, especially for transport in game, so I think I might swing into Milotic of Golduck. Just...which one.

Oh, can anyone find me an image of a Funadama? I can't find one ANYWHERE.
ô_ó

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Well, I know nothing about this team's theme, but I do know that your Spiritomb is a little flawed because it will have an SpAtk booster, but no special attacks (Unless someone has already corrected you on this and you haven't update the OP, of course). I would recommend that you change it to a CroTomb because you have a rather frail team defensively. It looks something like this;
442.png

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
• Bold Nature
• 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
~ Dark Pulse
~ Calm Mind
~ Sleep Talk
~ Rest

Hope it helps.

EDIT: You can quote more than one person at the sae time with the multi-quote button.

Last edited: