• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Origins of Mega Evolution! (846)

TheNinjaIsIn

Really obvious this episode exists because they didn't want they gym battle to be a two-parter (something I suspect they're saving for Ash vs Clemont). Watching the training was neat and funny. Also nice to see Froakie is going to watch the gym battle.

I would love to see an epic two episode battle with Clemont. That would be the absolute best. Especially if they show the episodes in a two part on the same day.

For this episode it felt like they were looking for ways to fill the half hour and at the same time create a mood that held a certain amount of suspense for the shippers. It was all a bit forced to me. Still I suspect that we may see a flashback of him and Serena dancing when Ash uses it in the match. If they play it right the shippers will eat it up. The one thing I would hate is to see TR interupt the match. So far they have been pretty good in doing that. All the gym matches have been TR free. Please keep it that way.

shahroze12

I loved the look on james and meowth's faces when pikachu popped their balloon! plus pikachu was probably thinking"we've gone through this every day for the last 16 years and you get mad now??" :p

fitzy909

Just another guy
This episode was very poor. I thought it could be good, what with the setting and all, but I was sadly disappointed.

ScraftyIsTheBest

No need to worry!
Meh...even though this series is good I didn't see much out of this episode, it was incredibly straightforward and not much really happened here. I guess there was the dancing scene and Bonnie and Clemont humiliating Ash was kind of amusing...and Korrina looked totally awesome...beyond that, I really wasn't impressed with this episode at all. Most episodes I find amusing and very good, and this series is definitely pretty good, but this episode was honestly too bland for my tastes. This was clearly meant to set the stage for the Gym Battle, so I guess that'll be interesting. I normally write long text about what I like about each episode but I really can't say anything about this episode.

Supersonicbro

I loved the look on james and meowth's faces when pikachu popped their balloon! plus pikachu was probably thinking"we've gone through this every day for the last 16 years and you get mad now??" :p

Apparently they got mad because he popped it early without them being on there. I saw a picture about it with subs.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Apparently they got mad because he popped it early without them being on there. I saw a picture about it with subs.

I watched it with subs and this part made me spit my beer out of laugther. Most of the time they are inside when it pops, so being outside of it when it was popd just nroke that tradition hardcore.

Vernikova

Champion
They're really stalling this gym battle. It was as average episode all around. Not a lot of stuff happened to make it interesting.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hello, Amy Rose. We meet again.

Apart from the humor, this episode was totally useless in its entirety. First, Ash was clearly bluffing about the whole dancing strategy that it ended up with a Clemont invention blowing on their faces and Serena giving some lame off-screen routine nobody saw, then we have Korrina needlessly saying her grandpa was going to tell a long story that only lasted a minute (but then again, maybe she said that because she's heard it way too many times), then we have Gurkkin making that mysterious scroll a big deal until it's revealed there's absolutely squat about Mega Evolution and is just some hygiene rule for Gym Leaders on an old paper hidden inside a statue's mouth for cheap comedy which sadly gives the sad impression that Korrina's family is just a bunch of show-offs because they got to do ME before everyone did and they have that big statue to prove it (and with Korrina's and Gurkkin's attitudes, it's not hard to imagine), and then we have the unnecessary praise to Korrina's battle with TR which was overplayed waaaaay too much before (dude just attacked once and dodged once) and after her Lucario went Mega and just...simply did a home-run impression with Shadow Ball and thus called for a "needed" massive explosion for some reason. OH MY GAWD THEY'RE SO KEWL TOGETHER!

So yeah, I agree with what Verkinova said. They stalled the Gym Battle over nothing.

Now I feel like this episode should've been the only Korrina focus episode aside from the five she got before because this one frankly didn't impress much.

Oh well. At least the Gym Battle is next and we can put her down for good. As a Lucario fanatic, I greatly dislike how the anime keeps giving it a bad name.

...Oh right. There was one good thing about this episode: Gurkkin is a heavy sleepyhead who's into Tepig plushies.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

This episode was sort of boring. Nothing exciting, really. Like the above poster said, the gym match was stalled. I guess the only good part was that Korrina and Mega Lucario are totally in sync.

This was an ok episode for me. It was pretty much just to get me looking forward to the upcoming battle.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
It would have been more funny to have TR take the scroll successfully. Then Gurkkin telling the kids that it wasn't a big deal (like if he had another one for back up). Then TR reads the scroll and finds out its just personal gym leader hygiene. lol

Not a very eventful episode, and I've been ready for the gym battle. The animation of Korrina skating around the gym field was cool though.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I thought the episode introduced us to Shalour City well. I particularly enjoyed the first half of the episode where we saw Ash train and I'm quite glad that the dancing strategy was unsuccessful for Ash as I don't think it's his style. I thought the parting beach was quite cool and just exaggerated the importance of the Tower of Mastery. The second half was ok but I would have preferred Gurkinn introducing his history and telling the gang and us some more information about Mega Evolution.

However, a nice episode but time for the main event of the gym battle. I have a sneaky feeling that it may be a good one! Onto the next one!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Just saw this episode this morning. It was ok, up until Team Rocket decided to try to take the "secret scroll". It's nice to know that Serena seems to be great at dancing, she seemed to be a great techer too, though I guess she really couldn't help Ash much lol. I'll give this episode a 7/10

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved it. Team Rocket stealing the scroll which turned out to be useless was hilarious.
I hated how Ash wanted to take Tierno's battle strategy tho.

I have a feeling this gym battle is going to be as good as when Ash battle against Maylene.
I highly enjoyed that gym battle.

Or, maybe I'm just biased because Lucario is my top favorite Pokemon?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I just love that it's Wobbuffet who clues Team Rocket into where the scroll is hidden. ^_^ This episode is full of good moments, including Ash's hilarious attempts at dancing and Clemont's machine, Team Rocket yelling at Pikachu for deflating their balloon, and grandfather reading his mundane scroll. Loved it.

8/10

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Origins of Mega Evolution! feels less like a standalone episode and more like a bridge to the next installment. By no means a bad episode, we see our heroes reach Shalour City, meet up with Korrina and her grandfather again, learn about how Mega Evolution began, and are left hanging with Ash and Korrina's gym battle about to begin.

Filling the gaps of these plot points are some entertaining bits of Ash attempting to dance and Team Rocket's attempted swiping of a secret gym leader scroll--which turns out to be just some general guidelines for daily self-care. The dancing scene was a bit awkward from an audience standpoint, but the uneasiness is mostly assuaged by the fact that even the characters recognize the awkwardness of it all. Of course Ash can't dance--he's never been quite in-tune with his artistic side. This dancing battling style seems to quite unfitting for Ash as well as unnecessary for that matter (he's done pretty well for himself over the past 16 years without getting jiggy with it), and along with the other characters' constant questioning of the style, it seems like it may be Ash's downfall in the upcoming gym battle.

Korrina and Mega Lucario are looking quite competent while Ash looks like a dancing fool--this battle probably won't end well for our hero.

Grade: B-