• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Oscar for Best Picture Winners Face-Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

armaldo

Pittsburgh Pirates 7th Super Bowl
While I was searching through the forums, I was suddenly struck by the fever. The Face-Off fever, that is (It doesn't have to be about John Travolta and Nicholas Cage, does it? I hate them both). I noticed one thing; there's a discernible and slightly disturbing lack of Non-Pokemon face-offs (at least I think there are, I only checked like four). I decided to do the first one, and about a topic that interests me specifically.

Ever since the first news of the 2008 nominations for Best Picture, I've been on a moral crusade against the winner Slumdog Millionare (WALL-E should've won. Yes, I know it wasn't nominated, but it should have won.) And now, you can all share in my crusade against all the movies that didn't deserve, or you can choose to fight against me. To those of you who choose the latter, I feel I must tell you that I have an actual, theoretically operational blunderbuss in my garage that weighs five freaking pounds. It probably hasn't been shot since the early 1700's, but I think that its existence should be established. At the very least, I bludgeon people with it.

The contestants will be divided into their respective decades, making even groups of ten. Each decade will be a single round. Each round is divided further into two phases: The first will include every Picture in that decade, and everyone will use the hurt/heal process for each one. Once that is over, the top two surviving movies will go into into phase two, in a true face-off against each other, using the same hurt/heal. Each phase will last about five days, or until the voting activity slows to a halt.

The hurt/heal used will be a point range from 0-5 (and (-1) - (-5)).

For example, let's use the decade the 1960's. My vote for the first phase would be like this:

1960:The Apartment: +0
1961:West Side Story: +3
1962:Lawrence of Arabia: +5
1963:Tome Jones: -2
1964:My Fair Lady: -4
1965:The Sound of Music: +4
1966:A Man For All Seasons: +2
1967:In the Heat of the Night: -3
1968:Oliver!: +1
1969:Midnight Cowboy: +2

And let's say, after all is said and done, the top two movies with the highest value go on to the second phase. Let's say they're West Side Story and The Sound of Music. I vote would be:

West Side Story: +2
The Sound of Music: +5

And after everyone's vote is in, whoever had the highest value would win that decade.

You can enter your votes once every hour.

(Now, it doesn't have to be exactly the way I wrote it, but you should identify which vote goes to which movie.)

Some General Rules
1. The General Serebii rules: Don't do anything here that would be wrong elsewhere in the forums.

2. Have some common sense: Please, people. I know it can a lot to ask for in the general public, but I have faith in you to know not to vote for a movie that isn't there, or disobey the rules of the voting process, ect. ect. Other such nonsense.

3. Don't be intimidated: Feel free, absolutely, to vote even if you have not even heard of the movie before. I myself have no real opinion on any Best Picture winners and nominees beyond the 1960's (besides the obvious, of course). If you have no basis for a vote other than you like the sound of the title, or you think the trailer poster looks cool, that's perfectly acceptable.

Anyway, let's get down to the very first round. The decade of the 1930's (This does exclude Wings[and whatever movie shared the equivalent that same year] and The Broadway Melody. It will not, however, exclude All Quiet on the Western Front since it was technically shown in 1930, and without it it would make this first round uneven.
All Quiet on the Western Front(1930)
200px30a.jpg

Terrifying trenches filled with rats the size of footballs

Cimarron(1931)
200px31a.jpg

Native Americans, trumpets, and Tons of horses

Grand Hotel(1932)
32a.gif

"Grand Hotel. People come and go. Nothing ever happens"-Lewis Stone's charcter

Cavalcade(1933)
200px33a.jpg

"It's about-it's about these two families...three generations, uh...in the families...and, uh, it deals with death and family and, uh, war and...friendship, and...I didn't really like it." - A guy who did a report on it on Youtube.

It Happened One Night(1934)
225pxgableithapponepmpo.jpg

Stars Clark Gable, some girl named Colbert, was the first to win all fiver major Oscars, was a comedy, and it was directed by Frank Capra. Frank Capra, for God's sake! What more could you ask for?

Mutiny on the Bounty(1935)
mutinybounty.jpg

Clark Gable (Again? Damn, he was busy) performs a Mutiny on Charles Laughton on the "Bounty". It's...pretty self-explanitory.

The Great Ziegfeld(1936)
36a.gif

William Powell and his mustache go into show business. Powell's mustache has a pretty good musical number at the end.

The Life of Emile Zola(1937)
emilezola.jpg

A French Government conspiracy frames a man for treason, with his protests led by Emile Zola, played by a man who looks nothing like the real Emile Zola.

You Can't Take It With You(1938)
youcanttakeitwithyoufra.gif

Future In-laws fighting each each other. I don't what we're taking that Frank Capra doesn't want us to, but it must be important if he has to tell us not to.

Gone with the Wind(1939)
gonewiththewind1.jpg

No introduction is necessary...I'm sure the title speaks for itself.
My votes are as follows:

All Quiet on the Western Front: +4
Cimarron: -1
Grand Hotel: +2
Cavalcade: -2
It Happened One Night: +5
Mutiny on the Bounty: +3
The Great Ziegfeld: +1
Emile Zola: +0
You Can't Take It With You: +3
Gone With The Wind: +5

And if that's all I have to say, let's begin.

Currently I am the sole runner of every aspect of this Face-off. Should I need any help, I shall ask for it.

Feel free to look at Wikipedia's list of the Best Pictures to get a look at the upcoming contestants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.