• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Other Monster Collecting Games (a.k.a. the rest)

Vini310

Pokémon isn't the only monster collecting game, so I created this thread for us to talk about the rest:
- Digimon
- Robopon
- Medabots
- Telefang
- Yo-kai Watch
- Bakugan
- Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Nexomon
- Monster Sanctuary
- Moco Moco Friends

And EVERYTHING ELSE.
So, let the MULTI-UNIVERSAL MONSTER COLLECTING begin!

The Mega Champion

Digimon is GOD TIER. Most games are better than Pokemon games. :eek:

Yo Kai Watch is good as well but the franchise is as good as dead in the U.S. due to Level 5 NA's death.

Everything else you listed is meh.

You also didn't mention World of Final Fantasy and Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch which I think technically count but I suppose World of Final Fantasy is a one off (at least right now unless they announce a sequel) and Ni no Kuni 2 is more like Kingdom Hearts so Wrath of the White Witch is also technically a one off too I guess.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I’ve been interested in Telefang for awhile. Was it ever officially translated?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I've always enjoyed the "monster collecting" genre because of Pokemon.

My experience with the other franchises goes:
  • Digimon - I've watched the first four series and only watched them since it was on tv in the afternoon. I never played any of the video games and never collected the cards or toys.
  • Bakugan - I watched the first iteration of the show around 2008. I did collect lots of Bakugan figures and accessories since it was interesting to see how they collapsed and deployed into their capsules.
  • Medabots - I remember catching a few glimpses of the episodes on tv. Usually short bits while flipping through the channels. I did get both Rokusho and Metabee Version on the GBA so many years ago. Recently I've felt nostalgic for GBA games and decided to reacquire one on eBay. It's still a great game!
  • Yu-Gi-Oh - I did watch the original series and halfway through the GX series but lost interest after the next season took forever to air. I did collect the cards for many years and often dueled one friend. Over the years I had a significant amount of cards that filled an entire binder and a metal tin. I sold them all for one price in a garage sale. Mainly because I haven't used them in years and needed money for a Nintendo DS.
I think any of the "Toys to Life" genre of games could qualify as monster collecting games. Especially Skylanders since you were literally collecting physical figures to use in game. I collected lots of figures to use in game but stopped after I realized it's a scam that wouldn't end Since they released a new game every year.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Does Yu-Gi-Oh have a proper "monster collecting" game that I missed as opposed to card games/Dungeon Dice Monsters? I guess Capsule Monsters approaches that but it doesn't use a lot of the mechanics, last I checked.

Vini310

Does Yu-Gi-Oh have a proper "monster collecting" game that I missed as opposed to card games/Dungeon Dice Monsters? I guess Capsule Monsters approaches that but it doesn't use a lot of the mechanics, last I checked.
Well, accoring to TV Tropes, monster collecting franchises (or "Mons Series" as they call it) are:
Works which make Mons one of their focal tropes; e.g. where you can expect just about every plot-important character to possess at least one of these creatures, and a lot of battles are won and lost solely through Mon-on-Mon combat.
Source: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MonsSeries

And they have Yu-Gi-Oh! as an example of Mons Series.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Yu-Gi-Oh! - I started watching Duel Monsters when I was a kid, so I loved it. I also have collected cards and played YGO games. 5D's is still my favorite YGO series.
Digimon - I've watched the first five series and Adventure reboot. Digimon games are fun to play, so I can't wait for Digimon Survive.
Persona - Persona 4 Golden was my first Persona game (and my first Vita game), I loved it. I enjoyed playing P3 and P5, so I haven't played P1 and P2.
Rune Factory - I've enjoyed playing RF games, so it's like Harvest Moon + JRPG + Monster Taming. Can't wait for Rune Factory 5.
Bakugan - I watched the first season, I enjoyed it. I used to collect lots of Bakugan figures.
Monster Rancher - I've watched the anime and played the first game.
Yo Kai Watch - I've watched the anime, but I haven't played games.

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
True. But nothing official, & it sounds like the companies which made it have been through a series of splits & mergers, which would make it hard to figure out who owns it. :(

Vini310

True. But nothing official, & it sounds like the companies which made it have been through a series of splits & mergers, which would make it hard to figure out who owns it. :(
Apparently, Smilesoft (developers of Telefang) never thoguht on the possibility of an international release for the series.
Nowadays, Telefang belong to Imagineer, who also makes the Medabots games.

Last edited: