• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU challenge RMT - Team Razor Fang

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Team Razor Fang​

Intro:

Hello. This is the first team I've ever posted, but I could really use some advice, so I hope you guys can give me that.
The reason this team is a challenge is, because I'm aiming to create a team that I will be able to turn into a reality, without having access to wi-fi for trades. This means that I can only use the Pokemon available on my cartridges; Pearl, HeartGold, SoulSilver and White.
- No Event Exclusives
- No Dream World Pokemon

I can manipulate the RNG, so obtaining the right IVs and Nature is not a problem.

The team revolves around an Acrobat Gliscor, because I've always wanted to try that out, and people don't seem to expect it.

Honestly, I'm not a very skilled competitive battler (which contradicts my perfectionism), but my dream is to have team that is worth making someday.
Alright, let's introduce you to the team so far.

Team:
no images because I don't know how​

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower

To activate Sand Veil on Gliscor, Tyranitar is a given partner. It's a bit weird to use such a slow scarfer, but it's just enough to outspeed some unboosted threats like Tornadus, Thundurus-T and Latias. Pursuit + Crunch gives me a nice way to trap opponents' Psychic- and Ghost-types, while Superpower is mainly chosen with Ferrothorn in mind. Stone Edge misses a lot, but I think that's something that can't be prevented, as Rock Slide would really make Tyranitar underpowered. Max Speed and 252 Attack EVs to outspeed as much a possible while maintaining strength. Without Tyranitar I would be crushed by enemy Alakazam and Reuniclus.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power

This is the Stealth Rock supplier, because Tyranitar has been scarfed. I don't know if it's a good choice to make Heatran supply SR though, because most of the time, when Tyranitar has activated Sandstorm, the Tyranitar check will also be able to beat Heatran... Should I change the sets so that Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock? But who would be the scarfer then?
Flamethrower is chosen over Fire Blast in an attempt to make this team less susceptible to hax. It doesn’t miss out on too much power, and I’d rather hit something twice than miss once. Hidden Power Ice lets it check Dragonite without Earthquake/Superpower/Aqua Tail. This team seems to have trouble with dragons, so that's why I've chosen it over Hidden Power Grass.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt

I think this is the ultimate partner for AcroBat Gliscor. Bulky Gyarados is able to shut down Bronzong, Skarmory, Forretress with Taunt, cripple Politoed and Latios with Thunder Wave and phaze boosting threats like Dragonite and other Gyarados with Dragon Tail. The EVs secure that Gyarados is as physically bulky as possible, with a bit of Speed investment too. 248 HP EVs make it so that its HP is 393, allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock five times without dying.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice
- Calm Mind

Virizion is here to save Gyarados and Heatran from unwanted bulky waters and Starmie without Psyshock/Psychic. This Calm Mind set with Leftovers lacks immediate power, but can easily set up, even on Ice Beams from Rotom-W and others. A Timid Nature with Hidden Power Ice is chosen to outspeed as much as possible. Hidden Power Rock wouldn’t have allowed it to do this, and we already have 2 counters against Volcarona.
The problem with this Virizion is, that it has kind of the same role as Rotom-W in this team. Virizion was part of the team before Rotom-W was, but it couldn't beat a very dangerous threat; Cloyster. It also couldn't help me against Tornadus-T. It's crucial against other Tyranitar though... So which one should be swapped, if it should be swapped at all? And for what?

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

This spot has been changed the most. It used to be a Rotom-W, after that it became a Starmie, then it became a Jolteon, and now it has turned back into a Rotom-W. Rotom-W brings extra Water- and Ice-type resistances to the team, and is our counter against Cloyster, something that would otherwise destroy the team easily. Rotom-W is also able to check Tornadus, Landorus and Tornadus-T. It's very bulky, because that way it can handle those threats better. Will-O-Wisp cripples dragons and Ferrothorn (if it hits). Pain Split lets it heal while doing damage at the same time due to low HP.

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Batmon :D
Something I’ve wanted to try out for quite some time now. Substitute will often be the move to use first, so that it will have a safety buffer against stuff like Politoed and co. It relies on Hax (Sand Veil), but it's fun to use. Flying Gem + Acrobatics = 165 Base Power move, and that doesn’t even include STAB yet. Gliscor is also a very good counter against Toxicroak, a Pokemon that often bothers the rest of the team. The EVs are pretty straightforward. Max Attack and max Speed to be as fast and powerful as possible.

Last Lines:

So this is the team so far. Please tell me what you think, and help me improve it. I haven't achieved anything with it on Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown, but I hope it's still worth a look.

Last edited:

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
not a bad team must say you may want to run jolly on gilscor so you can out speed a few pokemon lets say for example stall gilscor will use toxic on your gilscor and then stall you till you die.

another problem is thun t if ttar dies and poiltoad gets rain up thund t will be a pain since thunder will ko gyara think it kos rotom too (not sure on that) hp ice will deal with gilscor. stall gilscor will wall your team so bad if gyara dies now rotom can't do much because gilscor out speeds and and can pp stall rotoms hydropump

~Ace

i can show you how
not a bad team must say you may want to run jolly on gilscor so you can out speed a few pokemon lets say for example stall gilscor will use toxic on your gilscor and then stall you till you die.

another problem is thun t if ttar dies and poiltoad gets rain up thund t will be a pain since thunder will ko gyara think it kos rotom too (not sure on that) hp ice will deal with gilscor. stall gilscor will wall your team so bad if gyara dies now rotom can't do much because gilscor out speeds and and can pp stall rotoms hydropump

But Gliscor has Poison Heal, well, it should have. So it wouldn't matter if another Gliscor is faster than it.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
But Gliscor has Poison Heal, well, it should have. So it wouldn't matter if another Gliscor is faster than it.

his gilscor has sand veil meaning the other one with poison heal will win

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

~Ace

i can show you how
Ah, I'd slap Bounce somewhere on his Gyarados for his Toxicroak weakness, and use a Poison Heal Stall Gliscor set instead of his current one.

edit

Sack the challenge, lol.

Last edited:

Raravian

Ditto Pimp

Thanks
I was hoping Substitute on Acrobat Gliscor would save it vs. Toxic Stall Gliscor, but it is rather slow. Would Agility instead of Swords Dance help? Because I don't really want to lose out on too much power.
Also, would Virizion with... specs? be better. Maybe it could go up against Thundurus-T that way? Or is that too gimmicky?

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
Thanks
I was hoping Substitute on Acrobat Gliscor would save it vs. Toxic Stall Gliscor, but it is rather slow. Would Agility instead of Swords Dance help? Because I don't really want to lose out on too much power.
Also, would Virizion with... specs? be better. Maybe it could go up against Thundurus-T that way? Or is that too gimmicky?
Gilscor is still strong with jolly nature due to sub and sand veil you can set up sword dance and ko a few things, and viz with specs :/ hmm dont think that will do well at all, i can't really suggest anything because the pokemon i am thinking off have dw abiltys and events lol

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Gilscor is still strong with jolly nature due to sub and sand veil you can set up sword dance and ko a few things, and viz with specs :/ hmm dont think that will do well at all, i can't really suggest anything because the pokemon i am thinking off have dw abiltys and events lol

Ok, I'll try Jolly ^^
Also, now I'm curious about the dw ability/event suggestion. I'd rather have a good PO team than a not-so-good cartridge team.