• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Chess Team

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
All Changes Will Be Made In Bold

My first RMT. Since I believe Chess to be a source and heavily influence strategy games such as this I based my team on roles of the chess pieces. That and I love Alice and her Adventures Through the Looking Glass. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will do so immediately because for the life of my I can't figure out how without someone holding my hand.

Gliscor *White Pawn@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/ 184 Def/ 72 Spd

Moves
Toxic
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect

In most chess games the pawn is often the first piece to move across the board. With that idea I used this set to reflect this. The idea is that my Pawn will take two spaces forward by inflicting Toxic or use Protect to scout my opponent and take advantage of Toxic Orb and Poison Heal. I would use the other move on my second turn or if I feel the need Earthquake or Ice Fang to start the sweep going. Originally White Pawn had Fling and Acrobatics but I felt the restriction to one enemy with toxic along with losing out on Poison Heal if I used Fling the first turn restricting.

Ferrothorn *Red Rook @Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 48 Def/ 208 SDef 0 IV
Relaxed

Moves
Spikes
Leech Seed
Thunder Wave
Power Whip/Gyro Ball

My wall Ferrothorn is my rook or castle if you will, and as such protects the inner court from outside threats. Red Rook starts off with Spikes, preferably three layers but I have gotten away with two, or Thunder Wave if I feel the opponent will create difficulties for me unparalyzed. Leech Seed is used to recover HP I lose setting up and works in conjunction with Leftovers as well as applying pressure along with Thunder Wave. A straight forward STAB such as Power Whip completes the set as any Rook will need to some means to move across the chess board. I have contemplated replacing Ferrothorn with Forretress since they have similar function however I found the Leech Seed/Thunder Wave combo too irresistible to give up. Without the proper incentive of course.

Starmie *White Knight @Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
Nature: Timid

Moves
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

My White Knight and Shining Star, Starmie. Like a knight on the chess board, Starmie's role is a little more indirect compared to some of my other chess pieces. Starmie functions as the Rapid Spinner of the party as well as early to mid-game sweeper. Also with the presence of Life Orb I have found myself rushing with Starmie, and while I have found relative use in Recover I sometimes find myself rushing the game in such that I sometimes go through matches without even touching it. Though after consideration it may be best to replace it with Thunderbolt. However I feel due to the presence of the Red Bishop (read below) I feel Starmie isn't really pulling its weight.

Jellicent *Red Biship @Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spd
Nature: Bold

Moves
Scald
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
HP Fire

Much like how a bishop has to keep to the color squares it started on, Jellicent can't really go out of what it was intended for. The idea is to use Red Bishop as a secondary defense after Red Rook in the forms of being a spin blocker, Scald, Recover, and its ability Cursed Body. While I haven't gotten as many status inflictions compared to White Pawn's Toxic or Red Rook's Thunderwave, Scald has stopped the momentum on some of the physical sweepers I've faced. What's more Cursed Body has proven to be a sort of insurance card and Recover has been more liable compared to Starmie. As stated above I've relied on Jellicent more due to Scald's hit rate compared to Hydro Pump. On that same note I do feel slightly troubled by my team's double Thunderbolt weakness though I haven't actually faced situations like so as much as I thought so I found little reason to switch to another reliable spin blocker such as Gengar.

Thundurus *White Queen @Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd

Moves
Thunderbolt
HP Ice
Taunt
Nasty Plot

The White Queen, Thundurus. Ironic that this queen has a full mustache, unless you live in San Francisco like i do where the queens normally sport mustaches XD Tacky jokes aside, like the queen on the chess board White Queen sweeps across the board in all directions and as such is my mid to late game sweeper. The premise of this set is Prankster, which I capitalize to its fullest by utilizing Taunt to keep my enemies at a check (lol) and Nasty Plot to set up for the sweep. Thunderbolt is my default attack however I've found HP Ice reliable against enemies such as Dragonite or Gliscor. I'm slightly bothered that Thundurus is on the chopping board for banning so that will mean an eventual need to find a new Queen should the need arise. However until then Thundurus will take his throne in this chess set.

Conkeldurr *Red King @Flame Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Guts/Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant

Moves
Mach Punch
Drain Punch
Bulk Up/ Stone Edge
Payback

The final chess piece of my set, the Red King. And rightly named as the imagery of painful red burns and aggression will set His Majesty on a rampage. Like a king, Red King's power is only second to his Queen, and like a king he has the means to avoid ko through Detect, Drain Punch and Payback. Due to Red King's speed, much like a king on the board, he has to rely on other means to ensure his rule. This takes shape in the form of Mach Punch. Drain Punch ensures His Majesty continues his reign and payback ensures his annoyances get just what they deserve. Namely Gengar.

While I haven't dealt with too trouble in the form of opposing pokemon so far, I have been troubled by certain aspects of this set up. For starters, I have been trouble that I feel a need to rush with White Knight (Starmie), White Queen (Thundurus) and Red King (Conkeldurr) due to the accumulating damages from Life Orb and Flame Orb as well as mediocre defenses or speed. There is also trouble in the fact that White Knight (Starmie) and Red Bishop (Jellicent) have same weaknesses in thunderbolt. Also that because I find Scald reliable I haven't been able to use Starmie to the best of its abilities. Then there is the question of Red Rook (Ferrothorn) and whether I will need to replace him with Forretress, however I find this issue doesn't stand too much out compared to the problems I've stated above. Finally, perhaps because of my familiarity with my party, I haven't been able to compose a list of possible banes to my team.

I hope my explanation of my team has been detailed and entertaining. I would appreciate if any of the above problems would be addressed, along with any other problems I don't have the foresight to forsee.

Last edited:

Chocolatepie2

I travel by TARDIS
Put bulk up over detect on Conkeldurr. That's all I can see right away.

Starmie: Thunderbolt>Recover for the BoltBeam combo. Starmie is probably getting OHKO by a lot of things so Recover probably won't work.

Jellicent: It should have Will-o-wisp, so you can stop physicall sweepers. IMO Water Absorb is better than Cursed Body since you can resist water, that Gliscor is weak of.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Starmie: Thunderbolt>Recover for the BoltBeam combo. Starmie is probably getting OHKO by a lot of things so Recover probably won't work.

Jellicent: It should have Will-o-wisp, so you can stop physicall sweepers. IMO Water Absorb is better than Cursed Body since you can resist water, that Gliscor is weak of.

Good idea though for Will-o-Whisp I'm not too keen about losing scald at least since I find it reliable. Perhaps over Energy Ball?

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Ice and Electric are pretty serious weaknesses of your team, but it seems pretty solid. I like the chess references. I would actually call Conkeldurr a rook instead of a king, as you can still win even when your "king" is KO'ed. Conkeldurr can take out powerful threats and is an integral part of most victories. It can theoretically go anywhere, but usually sticks to a set path. So it's more of a rook.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Ice and Electric are pretty serious weaknesses of your team, but it seems pretty solid. I like the chess references. I would actually call Conkeldurr a rook instead of a king, as you can still win even when your "king" is KO'ed. Conkeldurr can take out powerful threats and is an integral part of most victories. It can theoretically go anywhere, but usually sticks to a set path. So it's more of a rook.

Is that right. Electric I figured but now that i think about it both Gliscor and Thundurus are no go when it comes to ice moves. I'm glad to hear about my creative approach to chess and pokemon though calling Conkeldurr another Rook seems a bit anti-climactic. Granted the above applies but in terms of aesthetic its like two people wearing the same outfit in a high society gala. You are right though about Conkeldurr, he can go anywhere and I've seen that

My first RMT. Since I believe Chess to be a source and heavily influence strategy games such as this I based my team on roles of the chess pieces. That and I love Alice and her Adventures Through the Looking Glass. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will do so immediately because for the life of my I can't figure out how without someone holding my hand.

Gliscor *White Pawn@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/ 184 Def/ 72 Spd

Moves
Toxic
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect

In most chess games the pawn is often the first piece to move across the board. With that idea I used this set to reflect this. The idea is that my Pawn will take two spaces forward by inflicting Toxic or use Protect to scout my opponent and take advantage of Toxic Orb and Poison Heal. I would use the other move on my second turn or if I feel the need Earthquake or Ice Fang to start the sweep going. Originally White Pawn had Fling and Acrobatics but I felt the restriction to one enemy with toxic along with losing out on Poison Heal if I used Fling the first turn restricting.
Good
Ferrothorn *Red Rook @Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 48 Def/ 208 SDef
Relaxed

Moves
Spikes
Leech Seed
Thunder Wave
Power Whip/Gyro ball

My wall Ferrothorn is my rook or castle if you will, and as such protects the inner court from outside threats. Red Rook starts off with Spikes, preferably three layers but I have gotten away with two, or Thunder Wave if I feel the opponent will create difficulties for me unparalyzed. Leech Seed is used to recover HP I lose setting up and works in conjunction with Leftovers as well as applying pressure along with Thunder Wave. A straight forward STAB such as Power Whip completes the set as any Rook will need to some means to move across the chess board. I have contemplated replacing Ferrothorn with Forretress since they have similar function however I found the Leech Seed/Thunder Wave combo too irresistible to give up. Without the proper incentive of course. Gyro ball makes you kill Haxruos

Starmie *White Knight @Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd

Moves
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

My White Knight and Shining Star, Starmie. Like a knight on the chess board, Starmie's role is a little more indirect compared to some of my other chess pieces. Starmie functions as the Rapid Spinner of the party as well as early to mid-game sweeper. Also with the presence of Life Orb I have found myself rushing with Starmie, and while I have found relative use in Recover I sometimes find myself rushing the game in such that I sometimes go through matches without even touching it. Though after consideration it may be best to replace it with Thunderbolt. However I feel due to the presence of the Red Bishop (read below) I feel Starmie isn't really pulling its weight.
Good
Jellicent *Red Biship @Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Spd
Nature: Bold

Moves
Scald
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
HP Fire

Much like how a bishop has to keep to the color squares it started on, Jellicent can't really go out of what it was intended for. The idea is to use Red Bishop as a secondary defense after Red Rook in the forms of being a spin blocker, Scald, Recover, and its ability Cursed Body. While I haven't gotten as many status inflictions compared to White Pawn's Toxic or Red Rook's Thunderwave, Scald has stopped the momentum on some of the physical sweepers I've faced. What's more Cursed Body has proven to be a sort of insurance card and Recover has been more liable compared to Starmie. As stated above I've relied on Jellicent more due to Scald's hit rate compared to Hydro Pump. On that same note I do feel slightly troubled by my team's double Thunderbolt weakness though I haven't actually faced situations like so as much as I thought so I found little reason to switch to another reliable spin blocker such as Gengar.
I wouldnt use Jellicent, But I see as it is one of the best spin-blockers in the metagame
Thundurus *White Queen @Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd

Moves
Thunderbolt
HP Ice
Taunt
Nasty Plot

The White Queen, Thundurus. Ironic that this queen has a full mustache, unless you live in San Francisco like i do where the queens normally sport mustaches XD Tacky jokes aside, like the queen on the chess board White Queen sweeps across the board in all directions and as such is my mid to late game sweeper. The premise of this set is Prankster, which I capitalize to its fullest by utilizing Taunt to keep my enemies at a check (lol) and Nasty Plot to set up for the sweep. Thunderbolt is my default attack however I've found HP Ice reliable against enemies such as Dragonite or Gliscor. I'm slightly bothered that Thundurus is on the chopping board for banning so that will mean an eventual need to find a new Queen should the need arise. However until then Thundurus will take his throne in this chess set.
Good
Conkeldurr *Red King @Flame Orbleftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant

Moves
Mach Punch
Drain Punch
DetectStone edge
Payback

The final chess piece of my set, the Red King. And rightly named as the imagery of painful red burns and aggression will set His Majesty on a rampage. Like a king, Red King's power is only second to his Queen, and like a king he has the means to avoid ko through Detect, Drain Punch and Payback. Due to Red King's speed, much like a king on the board, he has to rely on other means to ensure his rule. This takes shape in the form of Mach Punch. Drain Punch ensures His Majesty continues his reign and payback ensures his annoyances get just what they deserve. Namely Gengar.

While I haven't dealt with too trouble in the form of opposing pokemon so far, I have been troubled by certain aspects of this set up. For starters, I have been trouble that I feel a need to rush with White Knight (Starmie), White Queen (Thundurus) and Red King (Conkeldurr) due to the accumulating damages from Life Orb and Flame Orb as well as mediocre defenses or speed. There is also trouble in the fact that White Knight (Starmie) and Red Bishop (Jellicent) have same weaknesses in thunderbolt. Also that because I find Scald reliable I haven't been able to use Starmie to the best of its abilities. Then there is the question of Red Rook (Ferrothorn) and whether I will need to replace him with Forretress, however I find this issue doesn't stand too much out compared to the problems I've stated above. Finally, perhaps because of my familiarity with my party, I haven't been able to compose a list of possible banes to my team.

I hope my explanation of my team has been detailed and entertaining. I would appreciate if any of the above problems would be addressed, along with any other problems I don't have the foresight to forsee.
Changes in Bold, Good team!!!

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Gyroball, and leftovers and Stone Edge for Conkeldurr huh. That's not a bad idea actually. With leftovers Conkeldurr can last longer and he can handle tough flyers like Gyarados and Thundurus. I think I might make those changes

EDIT: If I give Ferrothorn Gyro Ball is it necessary to give him 0 Spd IV? He's already slow to begin with

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Ferrothorn isn't going to outrun anything anyway, so, yes, 0 Spe IVs is best. You'll be able to do that much more with Gyro Ball and also have an edge in a Trick Room.