• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Sapower, they aren't a decent tank if they need support to make it work an effective tank should need little to no other support on a team, and while that thread discussed other tiers this one is a dedicated OU thread so using other tier arguments here doesn't work. Lanturn, Gastrodon, and Cradily are all outclassed in OU, Shaymin and Roserade are outclassed as well (mainly Roserade).

Fair enough with the only OU bit. But I haven't had a problem using those outclassed mons in OU, which was what I was getting at, which was WHY I was saying I don't consider Scald a big deal, as well as how things like Knock Off and Hyper Voice have zero chance (in Knock Offs case, only on something with Guts) to have a negative side effect, and can't be negated at all, except Hyper Voice via Soundproof (which just doesn't appear in OU), and so are essentially much more threatening.
I'm not sure what you mean about the no support thing though. Battles are 6v6, not 1v1. There will always be team support is some fashion. The degree of it may vary of course. Gastrodon does need little support. Bring something to sponge grass hits. That's not a lot of support.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Magnezone doesn't like the burn damage at all, as it can only really switch in on Steel types to trap them, it being burned allows certain steels (Ferro) to be able to stall Scarf Sets out with Leech Seed + Protect. Zapdos doesn't like the burn cause it negates the Leftover Recovery it would get and something that's meant as a defogger doesn't not like taking Rocks damage and then not being able to have lefties recovery every turn. Regular Venusaur isn't that good in OU, and Mega Venusaur dislikes the burn damage as it has no leftovers recovery and it's main healing move has low PP.

Venusaur has several recovery options besides giga drain (which reaches 10 pp unboosted now or 15 with pp up) like leech seed and synthesis and venusaur is getting quite popular as a wall with superb recovery options. Ferrothorn is a nice counter to magnezone if it hasn't got HP fire and is already locked in, but you can't say a move is unviable because pokemon who can deal with it have counters. Zapdos isn't meant to last many hits anyway and can outspeed many scald users and bolt them.

ger9119

Fair enough with the only OU bit. But I haven't had a problem using those outclassed mons in OU, which was what I was getting at, which was WHY I was saying I don't consider Scald a big deal, as well as how things like Knock Off and Hyper Voice have zero chance (in Knock Offs case, only on something with Guts) to have a negative side effect, and can't be negated at all, except Hyper Voice via Soundproof (which just doesn't appear in OU), and so are essentially much more threatening.
I'm not sure what you mean about the no support thing though. Battles are 6v6, not 1v1. There will always be team support is some fashion. The degree of it may vary of course. Gastrodon does need little support. Bring something to sponge grass hits. That's not a lot of support.

I laddered high with Mightyena so does that mean it's good in OU? Those things are really outclassed and yes they may work once in awhile they won't the majority of the time. Did you just say Hyper Voice is more threatening than Scald? You lose any credibility with that statement. Yeah you can bring a grass type, but Gastrodon isn't effective by itself as there is much better options in OU for a Water type to wall stuff (Rotom, Slowbro, Slowking, Starmie, Azu) etc. They are outclassed because they have flaws that make them not as good as the top mons in OU.

Lanturn- Worse stats than Rotom-W + Ground Weakness
Gastrodon- 68 +82 bulk isn't that good + Quagsire is better with Unaware and Rotom-W is better so is Suicune also
Cradily- Need Sandstorm + Grass/Rock is meh typing at best

Venusaur has several recovery options besides giga drain (which reaches 10 pp unboosted now or 15 with pp up) like leech seed and synthesis and venusaur is getting quite popular as a wall with superb recovery options. Ferrothorn is a nice counter to magnezone if it hasn't got HP fire and is already locked in, but you can't say a move is unviable because pokemon who can deal with it have counters. Zapdos isn't meant to last many hits anyway and can outspeed many scald users and bolt them.

I was talking about Synthesis which has 8 PP, Giga Drain isn't a reliable recovery move as you need to be SE or something frail to really gain a massive amount of health and Leech Seed doesn't do anything when it has burn damage every turn. Regular Venusaur is outclassed by Celebi and Amonguss. What kind of Zapdos do you run? It's supposed to be stick around and be something that can throw toxic around and defog hazards, Burn Damage isn't good for Zapdos as it already has a massive weakness that hinders it with Stealth Rock and if you're running a good zapdos set most of the common scald users do outspeed it so you're wrong. Even a bad max speed Zapdos is outsped by most scald users in OU. The only reliable things in OU that can take scald is Starmie/Chansey/Celebi along with Magic Guard users like Clefable while yes you can run a heal bell user there's only a few of them that are actually worth running in OU.

Here are some Calcs, this is with some HP invested in Zapdos with it's standard set, univested Slowbro also 3hkos and can get a chance at 2hkoing if Modest. I can calc the stuff that's in BL/UU but sees usage in OU if you want me to.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 213-252 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and with Scarf + Burn you get 2hko'ed

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 156-185 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Rain: 180-213 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 178-211 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 238-282 (61.9 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
I laddered high with Mightyena so does that mean it's good in OU? Those things are really outclassed and yes they may work once in awhile they won't the majority of the time. Did you just say Hyper Voice is more threatening than Scald? You lose any credibility with that statement. Yeah you can bring a grass type, but Gastrodon isn't effective by itself as there is much better options in OU for a Water type to wall stuff (Rotom, Slowbro, Slowking, Starmie, Azu) etc.

I said that. I said they work well enough in OU for me to use them, as well as me not to have a problem with them.
I also do realize that Slowbro and Slowking and the others you mentioned are good/better for that too, especially because 4 out of those 5 get Thunderbolt, which is a great tool to check with, EXCEPT WHEN YOUR PROBLEM IS SCALD like I've been saying. I was giving examples of good pokemon that avoid Scald altogether and are still useful. Starmie is pretty much the only one you listed that can consistently get rid of the burn and just use Recover to heal up.

Hyper Voice is more threatening. Sure this is my opinion from my experiences (like I've been saying are people skipping over stuff?) but I'm much more afraid of a move that can Two shot with the Pixelate boost (which is ALSO what I said. I said that Gardevoir and Sylveon (Pixelate users) use it to very dangerous heights). Or in M-Salamences case, Aerilate boosted. Hyper Voice on it's OWN is not a threat at all. Scald is a dangerous move don't get me wrong, but you can easily bring a more common check (like Starmie) or something less Common (like Gastrodon) and play around it easily. Specs Pixelate Hyper Voice is a bit harder to play around Imo.

I also don't see you denying what I said about Knock Off either.

ger9119

I said that. I said they work well enough in OU for me to use them, as well as me not to have a problem with them.
I also do realize that Slowbro and Slowking and the others you mentioned are good/better for that too, especially because 4 out of those 5 get Thunderbolt, which is a great tool to check with, EXCEPT WHEN YOUR PROBLEM IS SCALD like I've been saying. I was giving examples of good pokemon that avoid Scald altogether and are still useful. Starmie is pretty much the only one you listed that can consistently get rid of the burn and just use Recover to heal up.

Hyper Voice is more threatening. Sure this is my opinion from my experiences (like I've been saying are people skipping over stuff?) but I'm much more afraid of a move that can Two shot with the Pixelate boost (which is ALSO what I said. I said that Gardevoir and Sylveon (Pixelate users) use it to very dangerous heights). Or in M-Salamences case, Aerilate boosted. Hyper Voice on it's OWN is not a threat at all. Scald is a dangerous move don't get me wrong, but you can easily bring a more common check (like Starmie) or something less Common (like Gastrodon) and play around it easily. Specs Pixelate Hyper Voice is a bit harder to play around Imo.

I also don't see you denying what I said about Knock Off either.

i stated why Knock Off isn't as deadly as Scald is look at my previous posts, plenty of things can tank it and mega evolutions exist that tank it easily also losing an item isn't as big as constant residual damage each turn. Mega Salamence is banned in OU so that's not needed. Those things that avoid Scald get annilated by everything else though, if you need to bring a gimmick or niche up from the lower tiers just to stop something that's how you know it's broken. There is numerous scald users in OU that can spam it at will cause nothing really likes the burns except Magic Guard and Natural Cure users you can reach a bit and say Regenrate Pokemon can tank it also but it hurts them long term. Hyper Voice is trash and is only good on two things both of which are handled pretty easily by numerous mons.

Last edited:

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
i stated why Knock Off isn't as deadly as Scald is look at my previous posts. Mega Salamence is banned in OU so that's not needed. Those things that avoid Scald get annilated by everything else though, if you need to bring a gimmick or niche up from the lower tiers just to stop something that's how you know it's broken. Hyper Voice is trash and is only good on two things both of which are handled pretty easily by numerous mons.

Mega Sal is banned in OU Singles, not OU doubles, but you are pretty much right, as it doesn't matter much in terms of the Scald deal and what not.
I don't recall ever saying you need to bring any of these just to stop Scald. They make it easier, which is what I was getting at.
I agree Hyper Voice is trash on everything but the 3 I listed (and Mega Altaria), but the thing with M-Gardevoir and Sylveon is that if what you have out can't take it, you have to switch/U-Turn/Volt Switch or fodder. Scald CAN be blocked, Hyper Voice can't. I was comparing the costs of using the moves, as you don't see SoundProof, it's not a problem. The only time Pixelate Hyper Voice doesn't cause a problem is when you have something out that can deal with it at that time (which can be often). I was just saying how Scald does still have a risk (albiet low) compared to the reward, while Hyper Voice just forces you to switch if Sylveon and if they send out something like Heatran or Gengar, both of which can be forced to switch out again if you have something for them.

Also will read your previous posts on Knock off. What page are they on?

ger9119

Mega Sal is banned in OU Singles, not OU doubles, but you are pretty much right, as it doesn't matter much in terms of the Scald deal and what not.
I don't recall ever saying you need to bring any of these just to stop Scald. They make it easier, which is what I was getting at.
I agree Hyper Voice is trash on everything but the 3 I listed (and Mega Altaria), but the thing with M-Gardevoir and Sylveon is that if what you have out can't take it, you have to switch/U-Turn/Volt Switch or fodder. Scald CAN be blocked, Hyper Voice can't. I was comparing the costs of using the moves, as you don't see SoundProof, it's not a problem. The only time Pixelate Hyper Voice doesn't causs a problem is when you have something out that can deal with it at that time (which can be often). I was just saying how Scald does still have a risk (albiet low) compared to the reward, while Hyper Voice just forces you to switch if Sylveon and if they send out something like Heatran or Gengar.

Also will read your previous posts on Knock off. What page are they on?

I only play OU singles, so I can't argue on a tier that I don't play. But doubles matches are shorter than Singles, so burns may not seem as bad for your team as they are in a Singles match.

I edited in a response about Knock Off on my previous post. So because you can use a trash niche from NU in OU to stop Scald that means it's not as good Hyper Voice? That's a poor argument as there's only two viable hyper voice users (Altaria is better as a sweeper with Dragon Dance). Scald is better typing, more safer and with a common chance to cause a crippling effect on your opponent's team and somethings you switch in against a scald user to beat it end up being defeated because they got burnt, I don't see that happening with Hyper Voice cause I can switch in any Steel or Poison type with little to no fear at all of something bad happening you can't just switch in scald safely as you risk the burn damage even Natural cure things still take a hit from burn before they can switch out in OU singles there's 0% risk when using Scald against someone as there's nothing viable in the tier that can take a burn without fear except Natural Cure/Magic Guard and the first one of those still takes damage from burn before it can switch

Last edited:

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
I only play OU singles, so I can't argue on a tier that I don't play. But doubles matches are shorter than Singles, so burns may not seem as bad for your team as they are in a Singles match.

I edited in a response about Knock Off on my previous post. So because you can use a trash niche from NU in OU to stop Scald that means it's not as good Hyper Voice? That's a poor argument as there's only two viable hyper voice users (Altaria is better as a sweeper with Dragon Dance). Scald is better typing, more safer and with a common chance to cause a crippling effect on your opponent's team and somethings you switch in against a scald user to beat it end up being defeated because they got burnt, I don't see that happening with Hyper Voice cause I can switch in any Steel or Poison type with little to no fear at all of something bad happening you can't just switch in scald safely as you risk the burn damage even Natural cure things still take a hit from burn before they can switch out in OU singles there's 0% risk when using Scald against someone as there's nothing viable in the tier that can take a burn without fear.

Hold. I never said Hyper Voice was better than Scald. Dragonite imo is more threatening than Talonflame, but that doesn't mean that it's better than Talonflame.
Water has always been one of (if not the) best typing in the game, because of how a team can be built with just water types and do fine (especially with Scald). I see scald as a threat, but not as much of a problem as Hyper Voice because of how it's a common move with a wide distribution, making it easier to check and be prepared for. I know (before someone starts trying to stone me) that Discharge is a meh move not in doubles, and has Pokemon that are immune to it (like Lando-I(in doubles) and Lando-T) but it has the same effect rate. What I'm getting at, is that you can just as easily lose to being fully paralyzed as you can to a burn, if not more so with Priority T-Wave on things like Support Thunderous-I an Klefki. Burn is crippling like most Status effects, and although the rate is high, it's not like any of those pokemon get Serene Grace or something, and the move STILL does have some drawbacks. I could easily say Banded Slaking Checks M-Salamence (which it does) but that sure as hell doesn't make it viable in OU. I'm merely stating that there are other options outside of OU, and only looking for options in OU is hind-sighted. I'm not saying Gastrodon is better, or Cacturne (lol) is better, or Cradily is better. I'm saying they work well on the specific problem people are having, and that they DO work in OU, outclassed or not.

Also, I kept reading that thread and it seems most people who are complaining about scald are in UU and RU, and they aren't even really concerned about it in OU (as much as in the other two tiers, at least).

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
The problem with scald aren't fragile sweepers pokemon like keldeo and starmie though, they would be nearly as dangerous with surf. The pokemon who are using it in an unsportsmanlike way are the bulky waters like Tentacruel with no special attack investment hoping for burn, try running defensive dragalge, jellicent, milotic or tentacruel into the calculator because if Scald should be banned because of their abuse of it. If you want to remove scald because Keldeo can wreck fairly bulky neutral opponents with it then you may as well lose surf and secret sword. Also, that starmie is going to OHKOed by thunderbolt, Keldeo will be knocked into under 15% and even manaphy is a 2HKO and usually slower.

ger9119

Hold. I never said Hyper Voice was better than Scald. Dragonite imo is more threatening than Talonflame, but that doesn't mean that it's better than Talonflame.
Water has always been one of (if not the) best typing in the game, because of how a team can be built with just water types and do fine (especially with Scald). I see scald as a threat, but not as much of a problem as Hyper Voice because of how it's a common move with a wide distribution, making it easier to check and be prepared for. I know (before someone starts trying to stone me) that Discharge is a meh move not in doubles, and has Pokemon that are immune to it (like Lando-I) but it has the same effect rate. What I'm getting at, is that you can just as easily lose to being fully paralyzed as you can to a burn, if not more so with Priority T-Wave on things like Support Thunderous-I an Klefki. Burn is crippling like most Status effects, and although the rate is high, it's not like any of those pokemon get Serene Grace or something, and the move STILL does have some drawbacks. I could easily say Banded Slaking Checks M-Salamence (which it does) but that sure as hell doesn't make it viable in OU. I'm merely stating that there are other options outside of OU, and only looking for options in OU is hind-sighted. I'm not saying Gastrodon is better, or Cacturne (lol) is better, or Cradily is better. I'm saying they work well on the specific problem people are having, and that they DO work in OU, outclassed or not.

Also, I kept reading that thread and it seems most people who are complaining about scald are in UU and RU, and they aren't even really concerned about it in OU (as much as in the other two tiers, at least).

You said Hyper Voice is more threatening which means you think it's better than Scald don't backtrack now. It's not really a hindsight thing it's more so that the pokemon you stated aren't good in OU at all, I run a lot of other tier things on my teams but they will have to be effective at multiple things and not just on my team to absorb a scald and then get Ko'ed after that if that's the one reason to bring something on your team that needs PLENTY of support than the thing you're using it for is broken. It being more distributed is why Scald is such a problem, along with there's no really viable things that can't get burned by it that reisist it like stuff with Lava Plume or Discharge. Slaking doesn't check Salamence, it can't switch in on any of its moves and gets outsped. My two teams i'm maining right now have Toxicroak/Houndoom and another runs Gorebyss/Nidoking so it's not just cause it's an OU thing it's just the things you're using examples have no function outside of a Scald check.

Zapdos can't switch in on Scald safely against Keldeo or offensive Starmie or Manaphy because if it's burnt it get's 2hkoed for sure, if Zapdos is supposed to stop those how is it that it's KOed because of a burn those were both defensive spreads for Zapdos i calced one without the HP invested and focused on speed/attacking (which is bad) would get clean 2hkoed . Keldeo and Starmie aren't really fragile either, they can both take a hit or two from most things. Surf isn't as good as Scald and when those things and other things lose Scald it would balance the metagame alot more. Well those things use Scald and its likely burn chance to bolster their defenses, so it's easy to use for defensive things and offensive things. You're pretty much proving my point Aduro.

Last edited:

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
You said Hyper Voice is more threatening which means you think it's better than Scald don't backtrack now. It's not really a hindsight thing it's more so that the pokemon you stated aren't good in OU at all, I run a lot of other tier things on my teams but they will have to be effective at multiple things and not just on my team to absorb a scald and then get Ko'ed after that if that's the one reason to bring something on your team that needs PLENTY of support than the thing you're using it for is broken. It being more distributed is why Scald is such a problem, along with there's no really viable things that can't get burned by it that reisist it like stuff with Lava Plume or Discharge. Slaking doesn't check Salamence, it can't switch in on any of its moves and gets outsped. My two teams i'm maining right now have Toxicroak/Houndoom and another runs Gorebyss/Nidoking so it's not just cause it's an OU thing it's just the things you're using examples have no function outside of a Scald check.

More threatening =/= better.
A gun is more threatening than a knife from far away, but that doesn't mean it's better than a knife altogether.
Same thing, Hyper Voice is more of a threat to me because of my teams builds, and Hyper Voice on those Pokemon is more of a threat because of that. It doesn't overall drop the viability of Scald at all, but Scald is way easier to prepare for.
Gastrodon is there to sponge Water attacks, force out electric types and pass Toxic to something else. It's also a nice pivot into things like non-Stab Quakes (and some stab quakes) and Ice beams as well.
It let's me abuse my Physical attackers without worrying too much about burns. All of my physical attackers. That's a lot of options, as if I get W-o-W'ed it's not too big of a deal with Recover.
Lanturn is weak to Ground, but Carries heal Bell, Can Scald as well, but can also absorb Electric attacks, and can force out Zapdos and Rotom-W, not to mention the other Electric types that Rotom-W either switches against or Volt Switches out against. Btw, I know you know this, but Rotom-W is still weak to ground when there is Mold Breaker out, so that isn't a 100% thing.
Cacturne is a niche like I said. You use it for M-bro, and that's it. Not good otherwise (which was the "lol").

252/252 Def/AtK Slaking Ice Punch with Choice Band OHKOes Mega Sal with 252/252 Def+ nature / HP after Intimidate, while +1 Aerialate Double Edge from +Nature M-Salamence does not OHKO. It can check coming in on a DD just fine, but I only used it as a viable answer to the M-Sal running around in that pool of wretchedness known as the Battle of Hoenn.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Just because options from tiers exist to deal with broken doesn't make them good or the broken thing balanced. They often require extensive team support to function properly (which restricts teambuilding) and they often get screwed over by other common threats. The reason why Baton Pass is getting dealt with again is because the only non-haxy way to beat it is to have Haze on your team, and Haze has limited distribution on top of basically being used just for Baton Pass.

Also to correct something on the last page, Mega Mence is actually banned in OU Doubles.

More threatening =/= better.
A gun is more threatening than a knife from far away, but that doesn't mean it's better than a knife altogether.
Same thing, Hyper Voice is more of a threat to me because of my teams builds, and Hyper Voice on those Pokemon is more of a threat because of that. It doesn't overall drop the viability of Scald at all, but Scald is way easier to prepare for.
Gastrodon is there to sponge Water attacks, force out electric types and pass Toxic to something else. It's also a nice pivot into things like non-Stab Quakes (and some stab quakes) and Ice beams as well.
It let's me abuse my Physical attackers without worrying too much about burns. All of my physical attackers. That's a lot of options, as if I get W-o-W'ed it's not too big of a deal with Recover.
Lanturn is weak to Ground, but Carries heal Bell, Can Scald as well, but can also absorb Electric attacks, and can force out Zapdos and Rotom-W, not to mention the other Electric types that Rotom-W either switches against or Volt Switches out against. Btw, I know you know this, but Rotom-W is still weak to ground when there is Mold Breaker out, so that isn't a 100% thing.
Cacturne is a niche like I said. You use it for M-bro, and that's it. Not good otherwise (which was the "lol").

252/252 Def/AtK Slaking Ice Punch with Choice Band OHKOes Mega Sal with 252/252 Def+ nature / HP after Intimidate, while +1 Aerialate Double Edge from +Nature M-Salamence does not OHKO. It can check coming in on a DD just fine, but I only used it as a viable answer to the M-Sal running around in that pool of wretchedness known as the Battle of Hoenn.
The fact that you actually used Slaking unironically to deal with Mega Mence makes me question your competitive knowledge.

KillerDraco

Yeah, no. I gotta disagree with that entirely.

Scenario A: Something uses Pixilate Hyper Voice. You predict appropriately, and switch in a steel type. The hit is resisted, and you usually grab the momentum by doing so, since many of the things that resist Hyper Voice also force its users out.

Scenario B: Something uses Scald. You predict appropriately, and switch in a grass or water type. The hit is resisted... but there's a 1 in 3 chance that despite your perfect prediction, a burn occurs. Many water resists, such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gyarados, Rotom-W, Azumarill, and basically anything that doesn't have natural cure, are suddenly either outright crippled, or at the very least, hindered by said burn, due to the attack drop and the residual damage. Even if you force the Scald user out, you still lose momentum due to the burn. You could pack a cleric to try and combat it, but that's adding an extra step, and you need to afford yourself a free turn to Heal Bell/Aromatherapy... assuming you can fit a cleric on your team at all, since they often don't fit in HO teams, for instance.

Pixilate Hyper Voice may have raw power, no one's denying that. But it's not insurmountable since the things that resist it (Steel types and even some Poison types) are found on most teams, and there's no secondary effect that can cripple the resists. What makes Scald so threatening is that you can literally spam it with almost 0 risk or opportunity cost, because the things that are immune to water are rare and/or not viable, and the things not crippled by burns are equally so... especially since the entire type that's immune to burns, Fire types, are weak to Scald itself. I may not be 100% on board with a Scald ban myself, but there's no denying just how spammable it really is, and being able to be used with little to no cost to your team is what makes it so threatening. You need a lot more specificity to prepare for Scald than you do to prepare for Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Cacturne's not even a good check. It can only 3HKO MegaBro with Adamant and Life Orb, while MegaBro can soundly 1HKO it if it's carrying its most common coverage move, Fire Blast. Cacturne has no niche. It's not viable in OU under any circumstances, ever.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
Just because options from tiers exist to deal with broken doesn't make them good or the broken thing balanced. They often require extensive team support to function properly (which restricts teambuilding) and they often get screwed over by other common threats. The reason why Baton Pass is getting dealt with again is because the only non-haxy way to beat it is to have Haze on your team, and Haze has limited distribution on top of basically being used just for Baton Pass.

Also to correct something on the last page, Mega Mence is actually banned in OU Doubles.

The fact that you actually used Slaking unironically to deal with Mega Mence makes me question your competitive knowledge.

Thank you for the correction, I didn't know, in terms of M-Sal (I guess I was thinking VGC).
I never said those Pokemon balance out the move, but I did say the move isn't so "broken" that you have to constantly cower in fear of the burn. 30% is a decent percentage (and could be lower imo) but it's not so bad that if you carry a check, you have to fear it. Now, I know common Pokemon in OU like M-Sab, Clefable, Talonflame and Mega Bro can be difficult to work around, but again, a team having problems with a move is a team problem. It's not a universal thing. I understand that the wide coverage of the Burn Scald can inflict is very powerful, but this same argument can be made for paralyses and Toxic, as well as SR, even with the Defog mechanic change.

You can question my competitive knowledge if you wish, but I'd say go ahead and use something else in that Nintendo Wifi tournament that does better. If you do, then great. I found CB slaking a good option for M-Metagross and M-Sal in that tournament and used it as an "example", but like I said, I wouldn't use it in OU Smogon because it doesn't work. however, the opposite is true for me with Gastrodon. Because it works decently against most Bulky Waters, I use it. I'm not saying you have to, but if your team is weak to a specific thing, you should try to fix it in whatever way works best for you.

Yeah, no. I gotta disagree with that entirely.

Scenario A: Something uses Pixilate Hyper Voice. You predict appropriately, and switch in a steel type. The hit is resisted, and you usually grab the momentum by doing so, since many of the things that resist Hyper Voice also force its users out.

Scenario B: Something uses Scald. You predict appropriately, and switch in a grass or water type. The hit is resisted... but there's a 1 in 3 chance that despite your perfect prediction, a burn occurs. Many water resists, such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gyarados, Rotom-W, Azumarill, and basically anything that doesn't have natural cure, are suddenly either outright crippled, or at the very least, hindered by said burn, due to the attack drop and the residual damage. Even if you force the Scald user out, you still lose momentum due to the burn. You could pack a cleric to try and combat it, but that's adding an extra step, and you need to afford yourself a free turn to Heal Bell/Aromatherapy... assuming you can fit a cleric on your team at all, since they often don't fit in HO teams, for instance.

Pixilate Hyper Voice may have raw power, no one's denying that. But it's not insurmountable since the things that resist it (Steel types and even some Poison types) are found on most teams, and there's no secondary effect that can cripple the resists. What makes Scald so threatening is that you can literally spam it with almost 0 risk or opportunity cost, because the things that are immune to water are rare and/or not viable, and the things not crippled by burns are equally so... especially since the entire type that's immune to burns, Fire types, are weak to Scald itself. I may not be 100% on board with a Scald ban myself, but there's no denying just how spammable it really is, and being able to be used with little to no cost to your team is what makes it so threatening. You need a lot more specificity to prepare for Scald than you do to prepare for Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Cacturne's not even a good check. It can only 3HKO MegaBro with Adamant and Life Orb, while MegaBro can soundly 1HKO it if it's carrying its most common coverage move, Fire Blast. Cacturne has no niche. It's not viable in OU under any circumstances, ever.

I'm not saying Scald is not spammable, because it is. But if a person refuses to use something that can check the spammable move, and then complains about it being a problem, that's another story. I'm not saying HV or KO are broken/should be banned, I'm stating that they are more threatening because my team is weaker to that, than to Scald.
I know very well that Gastrodon isn't the best Pokemon in OU, but when I see a bulky water, I send it out, and generally don't have problems. Keldeo is a decent problem, but then there is Jellicent so...

What I'm saying is that tiers are based on USAGE. A pokemon can do well in the tier for certain things, and be outclassed for others sure, but it can also work fine in the capacity you need it for. If I put Gastrodon on my team, that's little specificity, and Scald becomes also a non-existant problem. I just have to play carefully around the move.

Sub/Disable Cacturne can come in on a Scald/Psyshock, set up a sub, take the Blast, Disable, and force it out, or can go the sash route, and can use block, then disable, and then leech seed. It can work, but like I said, it's niche as heck. But this is what I mean. Instantly, people jump to offensive checking, when defensive checking can be viable as well. I'm not saying Cacturne is AG material, cuss it's a niche. Or that Scald is weak, I'm just saying a lot of people are thinking in smaller boxes than they could be. Scald is a powerful move, but I don't think it needs to be banned at all.

Instance, I came back from a 1-6 deficit to a 1-0 win with a Milotic, because it had Refresh. Does this make it Uber or OP? No, but winning matches eventually comes down to prediction, and whether you can take momentum and keep it. Scald is a easy move to press to do so, but I've seen people Scald Pokemon, and it has no change on the battle, except they lose their sweeper a turn early and something else came in for clean up, while I've seen it also heavily impact a game, like today where I lost 0-2 because of a Scald burn. It happens. It's a percentage play. But I don't think it's so bad as to warrant a ban.

Edit:
Also, for those who do question Gastrodon's viability, have a look at this, quoted from the Keldeo XY page on Smogon:

"Other Options

Expert Belt enables Keldeo to bluff a Choice item. However, Life Orb or Salac Berry is generally better because Keldeo's lack of coverage means it cannot hit many Pokemon super effectively. An offensive Calm Mind set with three attacks and a Life Orb can turn Keldeo into a powerful setup sweeper; however, the Substitute + Calm Mind set is generally better due to the added bulk provided by Leftovers and Substitute's ability to dodge status. Endeavor combined with Substitute or a Focus Sash can enable Keldeo to severely weaken a threat, but it is quite gimmicky and unreliable. Focus Blast is an option for hitting certain physical walls that resist or are immune to Water such as physically defensive Gastrodon, Tangrowth, and Suicune; however, its bad accuracy and inability to hit Chansey for serious damage make it a far weaker option than Secret Sword. The combination of Rest and Sleep Talk can be used to give Keldeo some form of recovery."

Apparently enough people on Smogon consider it viable to be mentioned as something that can threaten one of the top OU Pokemon. Remember, I'm not saying it's the best, as FB is not a great move, but you have to pick and chose on a team, and because of this, things like Gastrodon can do enough to be viable.

Last edited:

ger9119

Out of every mon you mentioned Gastro is the most usable but it's still outclassed and there is way better Keldeo checks that can also check other Pokemon at the same time as well while Gastro is a one trick slug now. When i'm building a team and need to check/counter keldeo I never think Gastrodon, cause you need to run a certain spread that while it beats Keldeo it loses to everything else. And it loses to Sub/CM Keldeo since it can't break it's subs, and Specs Keldeo overpowers Gastro with Secret Sword. The tiers are based on usage but when something from OU drops to UU and dominates they don't keep it there right? That's why BL exists, cause there's a difference in how good something is from OU to UU to NU etc the lower you go in tiers the more flaws the Pokemon have.

I think outside the box when it comes to teambuilding but Scald is broken, and just because you have teams that aren't effected by it doesn't mean it's not ban worthy. Take yourself out of the "my team concept" and look into it as a general metagame question instead, you'll see everyone's point that way. I had teams that handled Lando-I very well, but I still saw that it's generally a broken pokemon and deserved to be removed from the Metagame. I've been using Smash-Pass as a way to see how broken or not broken it really is because that will be a topic of discussion here soon enough and i wanted a first hand experience of seeing it used and actually using it myself.

Checks and Counters

Grass-types: With a quadruple weakness to Grass-type moves and low Speed, it's no question why Grass-types are a good answer to Gastrodon. Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn take almost no damage from Gastrodon's attacks and OHKO it with their STAB moves, while Pokemon such as Celebi and Breloom simply outspeed and OHKO Gastrodon.

Special Walls: Special walls such as Chansey take pitiful amounts of damage from Gastrodon's attacks. Also, Toxic doesn't cripple Chansey due to Natural Cure.

Special Attackers: Special attackers such as Latios can break through Gastrodon. Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y can hit Gastrodon hard with Grass Knot and Solar Beam, respectively.

Choice Band Users: Choice Band users such as Azumarill and Dragonite easily 2HKO Gastrodon.

From Gastro section, it's a physical defense set that get's smashed by physical attackers/megas/special attackers and can get walled rather easily. It's defenses aren't good for OU at all it's quite frail in comparsion of other Bulky Waters you can use. It's only really stopping Keldeo and Rotom-W lol. It relies on Scald to have any chance of being effective in OU , and if that was gone it would be in PU. Without the burns that you say don't matter at all and compared to hyper voice in terms of threat Gastrodon will be one of the worse mons in the game.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I know very well that Gastrodon isn't the best Pokemon in OU, but when I see a bulky water, I send it out, and generally don't have problems. Keldeo is a decent problem, but then there is Jellicent so...

Except Jellicent has fallen from grace alongside Gastrodon. In fact, both of them were only as good as they were last generation because of the water immunity. I mean, when there's nuclear powered, Choice Specs, Rain-boosted Hydro Pumps in the rain, where even max special defense Ferrothorn gets 3HKO'ed by it, then yeah, it kinda necessitates a water immunity. However with the omnipresent rain all but forgotten, their usefulness kinda wanes. The issue arises that while some Pokemon may have niches in OU (Gastrodon being one of them, actually), if their niche is a little too specific where if it doesn't show up then that Pokemon becomes dead weight, well, therein lies the problem.

What I'm saying is that tiers are based on USAGE. A pokemon can do well in the tier for certain things, and be outclassed for others sure, but it can also work fine in the capacity you need it for.

Everyone knows this. However, while tiers are based on usage and fluctuation occurs, there is a fairly strong correlation between usage and usefulness. There was a reason why Garchomp is used enough to be OU while Flygon isnt, for instance.

Sub/Disable Cacturne can come in on a Scald/Psyshock, set up a sub, take the Blast, Disable, and force it out, or can go the sash route, and can use block, then disable, and then leech seed. It can work, but like I said, it's niche as heck. But this is what I mean. Instantly, people jump to offensive checking, when defensive checking can be viable as well. I'm not saying Cacturne is AG material, cuss it's a niche.

Maybe we have different definitions of "viable", because defensive Cacturne is even worse than offensive Cacturne (and offensive Cacturne is pretty bad). Sub/Disable Cacturne is absolutely garbage and contributes almost nothing to the rest of the team. The reason Sub/Disable works on, oh say, Gengar, is because it's fast. Cacturne, on the other hand, is very slow. It may outspeed Slowbro, sure, but you're carrying a set that is literally useless against 99% of the metagame, and if they don't carry Slowbro, then you've wasted a team slot. Same with Block-Disable-Seed, especially given Cacturne has abysmal bulk. Plus, using Focus Sash to try and check things is a risky strategy in and of itself, given hazards being up circumvents it entirely.

I stand by my previous statement. The things that Cacturne bring to OU are so woefully insignificant compared to its numerous faults that it's not even a niche Pokemon. It's just not viable at all.

Instance, I came back from a 1-6 deficit to a 1-0 win with a Milotic, because it had Refresh. Does this make it Uber or OP?

Let's not get into reductio ad absurdum please.

No, but winning matches eventually comes down to prediction, and whether you can take momentum and keep it.

And the entire premise is that Scald is an easy and almost risk-free way to grab the momentum.

But I don't think it's so bad as to warrant a ban.

I may not agree with your premises but I don't necessarily disagree with this conclusion. I do think Scald may warrant some consideration but I'm not saying it's something that should be outright banned. But then again, I think the decision is split enough where a quickban is out of the question, and if it comes down to a suspect test, well, then the power is in the hands of the community.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Well at least this shows Serebii comp is still alive... LOL

has natural cure celebii risen in usage since scald made headlines?

still dont think scald warrants a ban, but i do agree that banning it will make the metagame better than leaving it.

everyone will use surf again, the second most op HM other than Fly waterfall :)

what does annoy me is that there are a ton of threats in the meta rn, and if smogon keeps entertaining silly things like scald, by the time they get to the good stuff well have new games, new mons, new megas, and prob a new meta.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Natural Cure is the only ability for Celebi, and it's actually pretty bad. Its win-rate in tournaments is less than 30% and all it really does it Baton Pass a Swords Dance/Nasty Plot boost.

Also KillerDraco Cacturne is viable, it's just stupidly niche and ranked very low (it's in the new E-Rank). This pastebin explains the reasoning of the Ranking Team for why it and the other E-Ranks are viable.

(Ignore the fact that I wrote it, I just edited it for AM.)

KillerDraco

Also KillerDraco Cacturne is viable, it's just stupidly niche and ranked very low (it's in the new E-Rank). This pastebin explains the reasoning of the Ranking Team for why it and the other E-Ranks are viable.

Hm, I missed the E-rank being introduced. That said though, having to introduce a new ultra-low level of viability for those that just barely have a niche doesn't exactly speak much for Cacturne. I'm still of the opinion that it's a garbage Pokemon whose positive selling points are just barely worth consideration compared to all the negative points it has. Being slow and having awful bulk does it no favors.

In any event, to wrap this back around to the original point being made, Cacturne's existence isn't exactly a relevant factor in the Scald debate because it's just so crappy. And of course at the highest level of the ladder it's never spiked above 0.06% usage, either, so there's that.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Hm, I missed the E-rank being introduced. That said though, having to introduce a new ultra-low level of viability for those that just barely have a niche doesn't exactly speak much for Cacturne. I'm still of the opinion that it's a garbage Pokemon whose positive selling points are just barely worth consideration compared to all the negative points it has. Being slow and having awful bulk does it no favors.

In any event, to wrap this back around to the original point being made, Cacturne's existence isn't exactly a relevant factor in the Scald debate because it's just so crappy. And of course at the highest level of the ladder it's never spiked above 0.06% usage, either, so there's that.

. 06% is too much. and are these viability rankings for OU?