• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

ger9119

Kinda surprised on the E Rank on Nidoking thought it would've been a bit higher, it does take a lot of support so i can see why it's there at the same time.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
. 06% is too much. and are these viability rankings for OU?
Yes. I believe a tournament player (ben gay I think?) vouched for it, and OU forum moderator AM has used it to some success.

Kinda surprised on the E Rank on Nidoking thought it would've been a bit higher, it does take a lot of support so i can see why it's there at the same time.
It and Queen are actually D-Rank, their reasoning was just clumped with the E's in the original pastebin. I've edited it just now to clarify.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Baton Pass thread was locked and is pending final action from the OU Council.

Based off of Aldaron's comment about several council members wanting to just ban the move, I think (and hope) that might be what we're getting. I never want to deal with Baton Pass again and we've already tried to play nice and just limit it, yet it's not working and the only other solutions are convoluted complex bans.

ger9119

Baton Pass thread was locked and is pending final action from the OU Council.

Based off of Aldaron's comment about several council members wanting to just ban the move, I think (and hope) that might be what we're getting. I never want to deal with Baton Pass again and we've already tried to play nice and just limit it, yet it's not working and the only other solutions are convoluted complex bans.

Ehh well there goes this smashpass team i was having fun using lmao. I see it being banned also, the only thing they could do is ban Geomancy from OU.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Ehh well there goes this smashpass team i was having fun using lmao. I see it being banned also, the only thing they could do is ban Geomancy from OU.

To be fair, the idea of banning Baton Pass has been a big policy issue for a very long time. At this point, there is also a discussion (albeit circular) about banning Scald as well as the transitivity of bans (meaning that bans in one tier don't affect other tiers i.e. Drought banned in UU but not in RU).

ger9119

To be fair, the idea of banning Baton Pass has been a big policy issue for a very long time. At this point, there is also a discussion (albeit circular) about banning Scald as well as the transitivity of bans (meaning that bans in one tier don't affect other tiers i.e. Drought banned in UU but not in RU).

Didn't word my sentence properly, I meant I see it being banned totally but if they wanted to go what they did before and "limit" it then banning Geomancy from OU would do that. I know about Scald we had a whole discussion above about it. I always assumed that bans in one tier didn't affect others, it makes sense cause some things might not be as viable or good in different tiers.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Didn't word my sentence properly, I meant I see it being banned totally but if they wanted to go what they did before and "limit" it then banning Geomancy from OU would do that. I know about Scald we had a whole discussion above about it. I always assumed that bans in one tier didn't affect others, it makes sense cause some things might not be as viable or good in different tiers.
I don't think they are banning Geomancy because only one thing gets it and SmashPass is still an issue if left alone.

ger9119

I don't think they are banning Geomancy because only one thing gets it and SmashPass is still an issue if left alone.

I thought GeoPass was the worse of the two? Either way both are just really easy to use, but really hard to deal with.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Say hello to our new Baton Pass clause. It sounds a little complex at first, but basically you can only have one Baton Pass user and can't pass Speed + another stat. I think this one might actually work since that means GeoPass and SmashPass are officially gone while letting stuff like Celebi and Durant continue dry passing, and stuff like Togetic can still pass Nasty Plot as long as it doesn't boost its Speed somehow.

Now they can finally let Venomoth fall from BL!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So Scolipede can possibly come back to UU? I mean that'd be great lol.

ger9119

Say hello to our new Baton Pass clause. It sounds a little complex at first, but basically you can only have one Baton Pass user and can't pass Speed + another stat. I think this one might actually work since that means GeoPass and SmashPass are officially gone while letting stuff like Celebi and Durant continue dry passing, and stuff like Togetic can still pass Nasty Plot as long as it doesn't boost its Speed somehow.

Now they can finally let Venomoth fall from BL!

This is fair and makes perfect sense, Smerg will probably just pass Workup and other boosts I guess.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I really like this clause. It straight up targeted the borked features of Baton Pass while not touching Pokemon like Nasty Plot Celebi. I was afraid a full BP Ban would bring a stop to things like Sylveon with BP purely for momentum.

I hope Smogon starts putting their heads together like this rather than suspect testing stuff, it takes much less time.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
One of the most complex bans I have seen, but there is really no workarounds BP brokenness. Anyhow I would have preferred a full BP ban, well back to abuse BP megalop.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
This is fair and makes perfect sense, Smerg will probably just pass Workup and other boosts I guess.
Smeargle is worthless now, it's not going to be passing Work Up because it doesn't have the time to. GeoPass and SmashPass worked because you got a ton of boosts really quickly and could pass them while Screens were up, while Work Up takes too long and doesn't grant any Speed boosts so you can still get killed once you've activated Sleep Clause.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Smeargle is worthless now, it's not going to be passing Work Up because it doesn't have the time to. GeoPass and SmashPass worked because you got a ton of boosts really quickly and could pass them while Screens were up, while Work Up takes too long and doesn't grant any Speed boosts so you can still get killed once you've activated Sleep Clause.

Don't forget Smeargle used to be one of the most common hazzard setters. Though outclassed by other hazzard setters, it's not completely useless.

Eaglehawk

Banned
OU Council has the votes necessary to make a decision on BP for ORAS and BW.

It votes to "Limit 1 Baton Pass user; user must not have both a way to boost Speed and a way to boost other stats"

fml

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
I'd still never use the thing because of how exploitable it is and how it's shoehorned into being a lead. At least Azelf is fast enough to come in later even if opponent got Rocks up and do the same itself before dying.