• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Seeing goth stall makes me extremely sick to my stomach, it should go. If we can't have both, get rid of Shadow Tag at least.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
By banning shadow tag, they mind as well just ban the goth line...that ability is literally all they have going for them in any tier higher than NU (not sure what tier eviolite gothorita is TBH)...reuniclus is better in terms of everything else otherwise...I can definitely see why it's being tested, but personally I'm not a fan. I play mostly UU anyways so what do I know lol.

A few months ago we wanted to ban Manaphy partially because it demolished stall. Now we want to ban Gothitelle because Manaphy can't demolish stall anymore.

You'll have to forgive me if I find that to be pretty funny.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
By banning shadow tag, they mind as well just ban the goth line...that ability is literally all they have going for them in any tier higher than NU (not sure what tier eviolite gothorita is TBH)...reuniclus is better in terms of everything else otherwise...I can definitely see why it's being tested, but personally I'm not a fan. I play mostly UU anyways so what do I know lol.

Getting rid of Shadow Tag means getting rid of possible Wobbuffet issues, especially given how much Wob punishes offense.
Theoretically speaking Gothorita would pose just as much of an issue as her evolution currently has.

A few months ago we wanted to ban Manaphy partially because it demolished stall. Now we want to ban Gothitelle because Manaphy can't demolish stall anymore.

Lol

Yea, but Gothitelle's strategy of tricking a choice scarf, then PP stalling with rest + twave until the opponent struggles to death is literally satan...
Thats why the set on smogon is actually called "Literally Satan" lol

Shadow Tag should've been banned as quick as Moody tbh...

Sablenite is perfectly fine in OU though... I don't forsee it getting banned.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
When did the retards at Smogon ban Baton Passing Speed boosts with other stat boosts? I mean, that is simply indefensibly stupid. With how easy Smash Passers, Quiver Passers, etc. are to check, it strikes me as absolutely absurd that the idiot monkeys at Smogon would even consider a ban like that.

This is unequivocally and without peer the stupidest thing Smogon has ever done.

KillerDraco

When did the retards at Smogon ban Baton Passing Speed boosts with other stat boosts?

July 6th, so a little under 6 months ago.

Killing GeoPass was the primary goal at the time. Collateral damage was high. Smeargle's passing days were over and goodbye Gorebyss and Venomoth's niches in OU.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
When did the retards at Smogon ban Baton Passing Speed boosts with other stat boosts? I mean, that is simply indefensibly stupid. With how easy Smash Passers, Quiver Passers, etc. are to check, it strikes me as absolutely absurd that the idiot monkeys at Smogon would even consider a ban like that.

This is unequivocally and without peer the stupidest thing Smogon has ever done.
Somebody's mad and clearly uninformed.

Also, I'm pretty sure not banning Rain and Sun in Gen V was stupider.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
July 6th, so a little under 6 months ago.

Killing GeoPass was the primary goal at the time. Collateral damage was high. Smeargle's passing days were over and goodbye Gorebyss and Venomoth's niches in OU.

Collateral damage? Smash Pass was cancerous af and so were other Baton Pass strats. This rule was much needed. Alot of Pokémon are balanced partially because they are incredibly powerful but lack a boosting move. Giving things like Kyube and Hera two dragon dances is borked af. Lots of their checks go down the drain and the only thing able to stop them is priority, and many of them lose to rocks

I do think thus was a heavy nerf to Baton Pass considering it was already restricted to one user, so allowing more bp users in a team might not be as cancerous as it was before

lol go play another format or just read the discussion at smogon.

rip smashpass pikachu belle

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'

This!

It seems everyone I talk to is of the general consensus that mega-sab is not annoying enough for ban but Goth and its shenans are. It would feel weird getting rid of Wobb alongside a ban for S-Tag, but if it means getting Gothstall out of the picture then o well as I myself arent a very big fan of playin with or against it. I try to look at both sides but the more I look, the more I see points for the goth ban. These meta shifts are interesting to say the least in regards to the long run.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Manaphy was just a phase. M-Sableye and Goth were brought up a couple of months ago and allowed to develop to see whether or not they were just a phase like Hoopa-U's hype or an actual issue. They are still a problem, so here we are.

I personally thought M-Sab was an issue from the start of ORAS and have been waiting for this for quite some time.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Mega stones and Pokemon are now considered separate entities, as a result we have new tier changes.

Venasaur
Lopunny
Charizard
Manetric
Sableye
Pinsir
Diancie
Gardevior
Altaria
Medicham
And Metagross are no longer considered OU.

Doesn't really change anything, but it is an interesting change.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It's honestly about time they did this, having stuff like Pinsir and Medicham drop only to rise because their Mega got usage in a higher tier really doesn't make any sense so treating them as separate entities is nothing but an improvement for the lower tiers. Doesn't have any really impact on OU but it's nice that lower tiers can finally use base forms for Pokemon that can actually useful and even influential in lower tiers.

phanpycross

God-king
Oh joy, cant wait for sableye to drop, it's soooo fun to fight against -_-

Kinda excited to see venusaur drop tho, it used to be the king of UU back in DP, but it's been banished to OU for two gens now thanks to weather wars and it's mega. Otherwise, yeah, this obviously doesnt mean anything for OU.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It was nice to see a couple of the OU Pokémon drop down because they weren't as good as their Megas in terms of competitive viability. And very funny to see Altaria and Lopunny in...
PU.

KillerDraco

It was nice to see a couple of the OU Pokémon drop down because they weren't as good as their Megas in terms of competitive viability. And very funny to see Altaria and Lopunny in...
PU.

They were trash before they got their Mega Evolutions, and they're still trash without their Mega Evolutions. Without their Mega Evolutions, the bottom of the barrel is where they belong. It's not really funny or surprising in any way.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
They were trash before they got their Mega Evolutions, and they're still trash without their Mega Evolutions. Without their Mega Evolutions, the bottom of the barrel is where they belong. It's not really funny or surprising in any way.

I know I know, I never saw any good reason why they would be in OU. They were there just because their Megas were in OU.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
We know this, plus that's why the policy changed in the first place.