• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Magnezone traps: Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Klefki regularly and traps Excadrill, Heatran and Magnezone locked into not effective moves and can be used to to pick off weakened Heatrans and Metagrosses.

But yeah not as good as Shadow Tag

Magnezone only traps Skarmory and Ferrothorn. You need Scarf to outspeed Scizor. Everything else is to fast or bulky.

ger9119

Magnezone only traps Skarmory and Ferrothorn. You need Scarf to outspeed Scizor. Everything else is to fast or bulky.

Unless you're fast Scizor with Superpower, Magnezone traps it and easily handles it.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Unless you're fast Scizor with Superpower, Magnezone traps it and easily handles it.

Kinda, it depends on the sets. To auto-outspeed zone, scizor needs to be packing 136 more speed EV's (assuming both aren't running speed-helping natures).

Ace Trainer Riana

If Heatran is Scarfed into Hidden Power Ice or Flash Cannon, Magnezone is great against it (It exists). Same goes with Excadrill that is stuck using Iron Head, Rock Slide, or Rapid Spin. Also it stops Non-scarf Jirachis.

And Scarf is the best Magnezone set. It allows it deal with more than just steel-types. If the opponent has no ground types, Scarf Magnezone is an excellent lead.

ger9119

If Heatran is Scarfed into Hidden Power Ice or Flash Cannon, Magnezone is great against it (It exists). Same goes with Excadrill that is stuck using Iron Head, Rock Slide, or Rapid Spin. Also it stops Non-scarf Jirachis.

And Scarf is the best Magnezone set. It allows it deal with more than just steel-types. If the opponent has no ground types, Scarf Magnezone is an excellent lead.

You can't use what-ifs to determine if a pokemon can check/counter/trap another pokemon that logic is flawed.

KillerDraco

If Heatran is Scarfed into Hidden Power Ice or Flash Cannon, Magnezone is great against it (It exists).

...It exists, but it's barely a factor. ScarfTran is rarely used. At the 1825 level you're looking at Choice Scarf ~5.710%. Not to mention that specially defensive Heatran (which is most common) absolutely craps on Magnezone.

Ger is absolutely correct; if your entire premise is "X must be locked into Y move to be great against Z" then it's far from "great" against it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

If Mega Rayquaza is tricked a Choice Band and locked into Sword's Dance, Magikarp beats it. Therefore, Magikarp is great against Mega Ray.

Your logic fails.

Rio!

Composer
If the opponent has no ground types, Scarf Magnezone is an excellent lead.

This would be extremely situational, which really isn't a feasible tactic to go into battle with. Especially seeing that they would *have* to be locked in a N/v/e move, otherwise Magnezone would be done in fairly quickly.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Is it just me or is azumarill declining in usage since ORAS came out. I'm not a top level player nor do I know the usage stats but when XY came out everyone was like 'omg azumarill is now a fairy and it can learn belly drum and aqua jet on the same moveset, this thing is amazing!!' but now with the ora of ORAS, azumarill is still a great pokemon no doubt but people seem to have gotten over it and moved onto new pokes like all the new megas and other pokemon that received buffs. Again, this just what it feels like to me but i'm probably wrong.

ger9119

Is it just me or is azumarill declining in usage since ORAS came out. I'm not a top level player nor do I know the usage stats but when XY came out everyone was like 'omg azumarill is now a fairy and it can learn belly drum and aqua jet on the same moveset, this thing is amazing!!' but now with the ora of ORAS, azumarill is still a great pokemon no doubt but people seem to have gotten over it and moved onto new pokes like all the new megas and other pokemon that received buffs. Again, this just what it feels like to me but i'm probably wrong.

Well it took a big hit with Greninja getting gunk shot, I'm sure it will come back up for sure as it can easily run three sets effectively and still hits hard with great dual stab

Mye

Someone has to win..

Yeah, the problem with azu is that while its attack stat is decent, all its other stats are pretty garbage (100/80/80 defenses and 50 base speed are just, ugh). That fairy typing also makes it pretty weird in OU as people tend to prefer either sylveon or M-Altaria as their "dragon killing" tool. Sorta hoping it gets pushed down to UU though, as the moment it lands it'd be able to poke holes in quite a number of defensive cores.

Ace Trainer Riana

Azumarrill's main thing now is Belly Jet. Though Celebi seems to have increased in usage which makes Belly Jet unviable. Though it would probably be banned from UU almost immediately

Also something that I noticed is that not all Venusaurs are using Chlorophyll. It may seem like it doesn't matter on Mega Venusaur, but if the sun is out, Mega Venusaur does get a Chlorophyll boost on the turn it Mega evolves. Sure, it's situational, but considering Overgrow is useless, it's still the better ability.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Azumarrill's main thing now is Belly Jet. Though Celebi seems to have increased in usage which makes Belly Jet unviable. Though it would probably be banned from UU almost immediately

Also something that I noticed is that not all Venusaurs are using Chlorophyll. It may seem like it doesn't matter on Mega Venusaur, but if the sun is out, Mega Venusaur does get a Chlorophyll boost on the turn it Mega evolves. Sure, it's situational, but considering Overgrow is useless, it's still the better ability.

The mega doesn't run speed, so why would that matter?
I'm not saying Overgrow has a use but still.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper

I've actually seen it several times in the mid ladder, but it looks like people are just excited about Belly Drum + Knock Off and not really using it due to relevance anymore.

The mega doesn't run speed, so why would that matter?
I'm not saying Overgrow has a use but still.

It outspeeds Weavile and anything slower with no speed investment.

Unless my calcs are wrong :/

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Sorta hoping it gets pushed down to UU though, as the moment it lands it'd be able to poke holes in quite a number of defensive cores.

Azumarill's in no danger of dropping into UU. If anything, with Greninja gone, its life has gotten a bit easier. As for Belly Drum, it's more of a niche set, it's far from standard. Assault Vest/Choice Band with four attacks is the more common set, due to being much more low-risk. Don't get me wrong, Belly Drum is fantastic when it actually works, but it has to... y'know, actually work. It has arguably (if not indisputably) the largest risk involved in the game due to the enormous HP cost that you have to sacrifice to make it work. As far as risk is concerned, it's pretty much "All or nothing".

Last edited:

Ace Trainer Riana

Some things that have come up on Smogon are Scolipede and Smeargle, the Baton Passers. I think that banning Geomancy would make more sense than banning Smeargle but Scolipede has an argument toward it. Baton Pass wouldn't work as well with Ninjask or Whirlipede. I don't think banning Espeon would work because Xatu could probably slide in its place.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Some things that have come up on Smogon are Scolipede and Smeargle, the Baton Passers. I think that banning Geomancy would make more sense than banning Smeargle but Scolipede has an argument toward it. Baton Pass wouldn't work as well with Ninjask or Whirlipede. I don't think banning Espeon would work because Xatu could probably slide in its place.

Ban geomancy when only 2 pokemon can actually learn the move? Because that makes sense. Smogon doesn't ban individual moves on pokemon as far as I'm aware and neither pokemon is broken even once a geomancy is set up so there's really no point. Both are still counterable and manageable.

Ace Trainer Riana

Even though only one Pokemon learns Geomancy, it's one of the most broken moves there is. These counters are Infernape, Breloom, and Talonflame. The reason not to ban Smeargle is because without Geomancy, it's not broken, it's hardly even good.

Even though only one Pokemon learns Geomancy, it's one of the most broken moves there is. These counters are Infernape, Breloom, and Talonflame. The reason not to ban Smeargle is because without Geomancy, it's not broken, it's hardly even good.

How exactly are any of those Pokémon you listed "counters" ?_?

Mye

Someone has to win..
Also, how is geomancy OP. It requires 2 turns to work (or one, if you give up your focus sash for a power herb), does little to help physical attackers, and can only ever be used once a game (should you not want to rely on sleep-hax).