• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Mye

Someone has to win..
Nice to see Ragnarok created separated places to discuss strategies/pokemon, being stuck with an OU-only one sucked mega-balls.

Out of the new hidden ability starters being released, does anyone else think any of them will see OU usage/stay in the metagame for the rest of gen6? I know people will use serperior for a little bit (until they get disappointed in its crappy base-stat total and lack of coverage), but the other two actually become pretty interesting. Emboar gains reckless, which with access to flare blitz/wild charge/head smash and that base 110 HP/base 123 attack turns it into a beastly albeit self-destructive offensive presence. Samurott also gains shell armor which, ugh. Let me rephrase: does anyone else think that emboar or serperior will see decent OU usage and stay in OU for the remainder of gen6?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Nice to see Ragnarok created separated places to discuss strategies/pokemon, being stuck with an OU-only one sucked mega-balls.

Out of the new hidden ability starters being released, does anyone else think any of them will see OU usage/stay in the metagame for the rest of gen6? I know people will use serperior for a little bit (until they get disappointed in its crappy base-stat total and lack of coverage), but the other two actually become pretty interesting. Emboar gains reckless, which with access to flare blitz/wild charge/head smash and that base 110 HP/base 123 attack turns it into a beastly albeit self-destructive offensive presence. Samurott also gains shell armor which, ugh. Let me rephrase: does anyone else think that emboar or serperior will see decent OU usage and stay in OU for the remainder of gen6?

Most definitely not. Serperior may have niche uses in OU, but will not make it past UU and may not even make it past RU. Emboar is completely outclassed by Darmanitan for all practical purposes, although he'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with in the lower tiers.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Everyone should just use greninja as much as they can before he gets banned.

So like tomorrow or Saturday. The voting thread has been up and running for a while now.

RhyQuinn

I'm curious to know people's experiences with Pokémon such as Mega Metagross. I've heard a lot of people complaining about it and saying that it's broken and that it's too powerful, but for me personally, I've never had an issue with it. That could be because on the main OU team I use, I have a physically defensive Rhyperior that is 3HKO'd by Meteor Mash and a Scarfed Zapdos that outspeeds and can Heat Wave for massive damage. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem broken at all. Don't get me wrong, it's powerful, but it can be stopped in my opinion. What do you guys think? What are your experiences with it?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm curious to know people's experiences with Pokémon such as Mega Metagross. I've heard a lot of people complaining about it and saying that it's broken and that it's too powerful, but for me personally, I've never had an issue with it. That could be because on the main OU team I use, I have a physically defensive Rhyperior that is 3HKO'd by Meteor Mash and a Scarfed Zapdos that outspeeds and can Heat Wave for massive damage. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem broken at all. Don't get me wrong, it's powerful, but it can be stopped in my opinion. What do you guys think? What are your experiences with it?

I've never had an issue with it but by sheer coincidence nearly everything on my team destroys it. I've got a Talonflame, a Zapdos, a Scarf Rotom-W, a CB Ferrothorn, and a Sash Garchomp, all who can either beat it or at least do a good chunk of damage to it if it lacks the proper moves. Even my Mega Medicham can take a chunk off of it if I get it to slow itself down with Hammer Arm first.

LacenMC

Like Divine Retribution, I also never really had a problem against Mega Metagross. Whenever I used to see it, I was always psyched out of my mind because the thing is so intimidating. However, there are more then enough Fire-type Pokemon that can handle this thing. Take Talonflame, both Mega Charizards, and Heatran have the STAB for it. Things like Zapdos and Manectric carry moves like Heat Wave and Overheat just for coverage, and the Ground weakness also cripples Metagross. What OU Team doesn't carry Earthquake or Earth Power? He doesn't belong in Ubers simply because of his typing.

RhyQuinn

Like Divine Retribution, I also never really had a problem against Mega Metagross. Whenever I used to see it, I was always psyched out of my mind because the thing is so intimidating. However, there are more then enough Fire-type Pokemon that can handle this thing. Take Talonflame, both Mega Charizards, and Heatran have the STAB for it. Things like Zapdos and Manectric carry moves like Heat Wave and Overheat just for coverage, and the Ground weakness also cripples Metagross. What OU Team doesn't carry Earthquake or Earth Power? He doesn't belong in Ubers simply because of his typing.

This just makes me wonder how Mega Metagross would have fared if it had been given Levitate (I mean, it IS levitating after all). It would have less power without Tough Claws, sure, but it would have much more scope to take hits. And it still has base 145 Attack, 150 Defence, 105 Special Attack, 110 Special Defence and 110 Speed. Mold Breaker Excadrill. Screw that guy.

Mye

Someone has to win..
For me, m-metagross would've really benefitted off the ability "filter". While boosted contact attacks isn't bad, its typing got way worse this gen with plenty of things packing ground/ghost/dark type moves or being part fire type. I've personally had no problem "countering" m-metagross. Mind you, I run a stall team with oven-rotom, bisharp, and max-hp gyarados so I can see some teams having problems with it.

Zachmac

For me, m-metagross would've really benefitted off the ability "filter". While boosted contact attacks isn't bad, its typing got way worse this gen with plenty of things packing ground/ghost/dark type moves or being part fire type. I've personally had no problem "countering" m-metagross. Mind you, I run a stall team with oven-rotom, bisharp, and max-hp gyarados so I can see some teams having problems with it.
Tough Claws is just awesome, though, especially when you consider that it's new speed boost means that Megagross's job is to attack first, and to tank second. We're talking 133% damage here. It's basically a free life orb, but no recoil.
It not only buffs its main stabs, Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt, but buffs Ice Punch as well just to help it crush Gliscor and Landy. Filter would be alright, but I don't think it would be worth the offensive power Tough Claws provides.

I will admit that I haven't struggled against it either, though, but I've also got a Rotom-W and Scarf Landy-T on, like, every team.

What I really think Megagross needs is a reliable way to boost attack. Power Up Punch and Hone Claws could theoretically be used, I guess, but will never be substitutes for moves like Swords Dance or Bulk Up.

Last edited:

ger9119

Tough Claws is just awesome, though, especially when you consider that it's new speed boost means that Megagross's job is to attack first, and to tank second. We're talking 133% damage here. It's basically a free life orb, but no recoil.
It not only buffs its main stabs, Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt, but buffs Ice Punch as well just to help it crush Gliscor and Landy. Filter would be alright, but I don't think it would be worth the offensive power Tough Claws provides.

I will admit that I haven't struggled against it either, though, but I've also got a Rotom-W and Scarf Landy-T on, like, every team.

What I really think Megagross needs is a reliable way to boost attack. Power Up Punch and Hone Claws could theoretically be used, I guess, but will never be substitutes for moves like Swords Dance or Bulk Up.

Mega Metagross really doesn't need a move to boost it's attack, you're better off running coverage instead of PuP and Hone Claws.

Ace Trainer Riana

The reason for Hone Claws is so Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt and Hammer Arm don't miss. Bullet Punch is probably better.

ger9119

The reason for Hone Claws is so Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt and Hammer Arm don't miss. Bullet Punch is probably better.

But it's a waste of a slot to avoid a 90% move from missing lol, so is Bullet Punch. Pursuit and Grass Knot are better options if you want something not "super" common.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So everyone knows that since the rise of Defog users Starmie's niche as arguably the best spinner in the game has been devalued to the point where, for the first time in fifteen years, Starmie dropped to UU. But I feel Starmie has another niche, as a rather unpredictable and underestimated attacker with utility in the forms of Recover, Trick, Rapid Spin, and Natural Cure. Here's a Starmie set I've been running to relatively good effect.

starmie.gif

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Timid - Analytic
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Trick

Analytic may seem strange on a Pokemon with 115 base Speed, but it activates if the opponent switches as well, seriously punishing switchins by making them eat a stupidly strong Hydro Pump. Come in on a Heatran or a Garchomp, or something slower that will fear Starmie's coverage and punish the switchin. Trick ditches the Specs and can cripple Chansey, Ferrothorn, Suicune, etc. Even if the opponent doesn't switch, Starmie's decent base 100 Sp. Atk backed by Specs will still put a dent in whatever is staying in. Additionally, Starmie's Speed tier puts it ahead of Gengar, Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, etc.

ger9119

So everyone knows that since the rise of Defog users Starmie's niche as arguably the best spinner in the game has been devalued to the point where, for the first time in fifteen years, Starmie dropped to UU. But I feel Starmie has another niche, as a rather unpredictable and underestimated attacker with utility in the forms of Recover, Trick, Rapid Spin, and Natural Cure. Here's a Starmie set I've been running to relatively good effect.

starmie.gif

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Timid - Analytic
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Trick

Analytic may seem strange on a Pokemon with 115 base Speed, but it activates if the opponent switches as well, seriously punishing switchins by making them eat a stupidly strong Hydro Pump. Come in on a Heatran or a Garchomp, or something slower that will fear Starmie's coverage and punish the switchin. Trick ditches the Specs and can cripple Chansey, Ferrothorn, Suicune, etc. Even if the opponent doesn't switch, Starmie's decent base 100 Sp. Atk backed by Specs will still put a dent in whatever is staying in. Additionally, Starmie's Speed tier puts it ahead of Gengar, Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, etc.

Honestly Starmie has seen a rise lately I can see it coming into OU again soon, you need to be running Life Orb > Specs , Rapid Spin > Trick. Also Reflect type Bulky starmie has been seeing a lot of play lately.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Honestly Starmie has seen a rise lately I can see it coming into OU again soon, you need to be running Life Orb > Specs , Rapid Spin > Trick. Also Reflect type Bulky starmie has been seeing a lot of play lately.

That ruins the point of running Analytic TrickSpecs. At that point you might as well just run a Defog user.

VoidMiasma

The only one I see being viable in OU after their honeymoon period is Emboar. Slapping a scarf on it makes it rather fast, but the Choice Band, however, makes its Flare Blitz one of the scariest attacks in the game. Seriously, you do not want anything at the receiving end of an Emboar Flare Blitz; it won't survive unless it's 4x resistant.