• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

ger9119

I'd still never use the thing because of how exploitable it is and how it's shoehorned into being a lead. At least Azelf is fast enough to come in later even if opponent got Rocks up and do the same itself before dying.

It can be a nice sticky webs thing too i guess, I agree though the role of "leads" in the whole defog metagames are kinda pointless. Took me awhile to get out of my gen 4 way of teambuilding where there's a set lead that gets up hazards and then faints.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
It can be a nice sticky webs thing too i guess, I agree though the role of "leads" in the whole defog metagames are kinda pointless. Took me awhile to get out of my gen 4 way of teambuilding where there's a set lead that gets up hazards and then faints.

Yep. Dedicated leads pretty much go down the drain as soon as the opp reveals defog. Suicide leads become dead weight unless you can keep them alive. And even then, opposing rocks might then finish off that 1HP Terrakion you withdrew the second turn.

Kinda sad to see Smeargle pretty much become useless now. I'd like to see something creative pop up but OU is the least diverse and creative metagame, probably even outside of Pokemon itself.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Smeargle is bad at Webs because Shuckle exists. Not that Webs is fantastic in the first place.

Suicide leads are still viable to a degree on Hyper Offense, but changes like Defog and Magic Bouncers that don't suck make the style less reliable than before (if you could consider the style reliable to begin with since you need to be a prediction god to utilize it effectively).

XXD17

Draco rex
Well...that's it then...I'm assuming quiver-pass (based on description) is banned too? It just seems like no one is talking about it...everyone's so focused on geo-pass and smash-pass...

ger9119

Well...that's it then...I'm assuming quiver-pass (based on description) is banned too? It just seems like no one is talking about it...everyone's so focused on geo-pass and smash-pass...

Yeah it's banned too, making Venomoth trash again.

I been using a team built around Crocune and DDXard and it's been really good so far, had to make something different since Smashpass gone.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247489605

Always good beating somebody done who has a dumb name and probably trolls people after he wins.

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
Yeah it's banned too, making Venomoth trash again.

I been using a team built around Crocune and DDXard and it's been really good so far, had to make something different since Smashpass gone.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247489605

Always good beating somebody done who has a dumb name and probably trolls people after he wins.

Venemoth is trash now in OU, but he's still a good set-up sweeper in UU. At least Denisss pass isn't going to be that big of a problem, though Denisss already has made a usable albeit not as good BP team that circumvents the clause entirely

ger9119

Venemoth is trash now in OU, but he's still a good set-up sweeper in UU. At least Denisss pass isn't going to be that big of a problem, though Denisss already has made a usable albeit not as good BP team that circumvents the clause entirely

Do you got any replays of the team Denisss is using now with BP? Kinda wanna see how it can work still and remake my Pass team(s)

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
So apparently Sand Veil and BrightPowder aren't banned right now. Trash like Sand Veil Garchomp is usable.

replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247880616

Found the team on Smogon and gave it a whirl. Complete ***. None of this trash should be in the meta barring Tyranitar. Ferrothorn and Slowbro are dumb af to face and the rest are broken mons.

Last edited:

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
I'm a bit surprised to not see Baton Pass just go as it is. With the limitation of no Smash/Quiver/Geo Pass, it's REALLY lacking now.
One of the few really interesting things that can still be done with it is Tail Glow Pass, but that's better used in lower tiers. I guess it could possibly be used to pass to Keldeo, Latios or M-Diancie. But it's so easy to read that and I doubt using the spot on Volbeat of all things would be well spent. Plus, Baton Pass NP Mew outclasses it anyway.

In short, Baton Pass is pretty meh now, but pretty happy to see this change (although it was done in a weird way).

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Batton pass lopunny, just have fun gaining momentum or trapping stuff.

ger9119

Batton pass lopunny, just have fun gaining momentum or trapping stuff.

Pretty much this, It's still pretty solid overall just not being able to pass speed+boost (which was broken and assured you win most games once passed).

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Scolipede can run 3 attacks + BP and deal a ton of damage and then give slower pokemon like Kyube or Hera a chance to sweep.

cryuel

So apparently Sand Veil and BrightPowder aren't banned right now. Trash like Sand Veil Garchomp is usable.

replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-247880616

Found the team on Smogon and gave it a whirl. Complete ***. None of this trash should be in the meta barring Tyranitar. Ferrothorn and Slowbro are dumb af to face and the rest are broken mons.

I was surprised by this too! I personally loved using Bright Powder back in the days. ^_^
I do have to say though, on the flip side of things, Sand Veil has been a very annoying ability in some matches..

Mye

Someone has to win..
Sand Veil can be fun if you abuse the pkmn who can use it. In wifi rando battles, I'd often run double team/bright powder heliolisk just to screw with people.

ger9119

They should ban brightpowder/sand veil, they complain about Scald and Baton Pass but allow evasive items/abilities in standard play.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
snow cloak is also a thing, though parafusion froslass and subpunch beartic are the only good mons and they suck

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
They should ban brightpowder/sand veil, they complain about Scald and Baton Pass but allow evasive items/abilities in standard play.

After the weather nerf I don't feel like Sand Veil and Snow Cloak should go. However Brightpowder is an entirely different senario in it's own right mainly due to it being way more abusable.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Baton Pass and evasion aren't comparable, lol. Baton Pass is a legitimately broken strategy because it's borderline perfect and only really loses to hax or being counter-teamed.

Evasion is just unfair because it throws games to the RNG more and is like the definition of a rage-inducing strategy; it's not entirely reliable but it's still dumb. The Scald comparison is probably better in this case because of RNG allowing worse players to win despite otherwise being outplayed.

Also they aren't banned because of the weather nerf and the marginal bonus granted by Brightpowder, though I wouldn't shed any tears of the latter was banned.