• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Espeon is bad. If you're running a team with Chansey you're probably running stall and should just go with Mega Sableye.

I was kidding, and you have to mega evolve sableye and absol before switching it back in so it can't have as much fun switching into rocks unless it gone in and out, and rocks usually start up early. There is also Xatu, but its one of my least favourite mons to use competitively and just generally.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Mega Sableye is a decent lead, so I don't what the issue is with that.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
my thoughts when i ev chansey are to give itas much physical defense as possible since it pretty much walls every special attacker barring a few focus blast users, and it needs as much defense as possible because its garbage 5 base def. imo both spreads should be fine

and yeah, i forgot magic bounce existed outside of espeon now

ger9119

my thoughts when i ev chansey are to give itas much physical defense as possible since it pretty much walls every special attacker barring a few focus blast users, and it needs as much defense as possible because its garbage 5 base def. imo both spreads should be fine

and yeah, i forgot magic bounce existed outside of espeon now

^This man ran a espeon+chansey core for the longest time.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
^This man ran a espeon+chansey core for the longest time.

and i beat you with it when i started comp

easy game

the real core was actually espeon chansey mandibuzz, basically espeon would bring up dual screens while chansey and mandibuzz would make sure my sweepers were free of status and didnt have to take sr damage. under reflect, mandibuzz basically becomes the physical version of chansey, which is why they worked decently together, being able to stall alot of things

ive been using it in uu but its not as fun anymore. it was great back when pinsir and wp dragonite were relevant. also a ton of stallbreakers and mega sableye meake this core garbage

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Hey dudes, of all the OU to Ubers Pokemon that've been thrust upwards from OU, which do you personally miss the most? Mons like Grenny, Landi, and Mawile-M.
I know, they were banned for a reason, but you really can't help but miss the fun they might've brought for you.

For me, it's Genesect. It's just a little too versatile in it's movepool, I suppose, but I loved the Shift Gear set.

Sorry if I can't reminisce like this, but was just wonderin what you all had to say.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
A while ago someone brought up a dumb af Shedinja team that I called garbage for being weak af, but after seeing how many things on the ladder are countered by Shedinja, ive been using it and forcing forfeits by taking down its counters, and every now and then you find a team that has absolutely no way of dealing with shedinja and has to ff turn 1

i apologize for insulting this team

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
And that's why I love pursuit metagross, but yep if the field is clean unless you meet hp flying Keldeo shedinja can screw some hyper offense teams like a boss.

ger9119

A while ago someone brought up a dumb af Shedinja team that I called garbage for being weak af, but after seeing how many things on the ladder are countered by Shedinja, ive been using it and forcing forfeits by taking down its counters, and every now and then you find a team that has absolutely no way of dealing with shedinja and has to ff turn 1

i apologize for insulting this team

That's interesting actually, what sorta cores do you guys run with it?

KillerDraco

Shedinja benefited immensely from OR/AS since Mega Sableye is such a good partner in crime for it. Hazards are a death sentence for it, and Mega Sableye's anti-lead capabilities help it immensely with keeping hazards away from Shedinja. Shedinja also benefits from things like Clefable carrying Thunder Wave more frequently, since absorbing a Thunder Wave means Toxic and Will-o-Wisp stop being answers to Shedinja. You gotta support the hell out of it for sure, but it walls the hell out of Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, most Mega Metagross and Clefable, certain variants of Latios/Latias/Scizor/Thundurus, etc. to the point where it becomes an atypical win condition.

ger9119

Shedinja benefited immensely from OR/AS since Mega Sableye is such a good partner in crime for it. Hazards are a death sentence for it, and Mega Sableye's anti-lead capabilities help it immensely with keeping hazards away from Shedinja. Shedinja also benefits from things like Clefable carrying Thunder Wave more frequently, since absorbing a Thunder Wave means Toxic and Will-o-Wisp stop being answers to Shedinja. You gotta support the hell out of it for sure, but it walls the hell out of Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, most Mega Metagross and Clefable, certain variants of Latios/Latias/Scizor/Thundurus, etc. to the point where it becomes an atypical win condition.

Certainly going to try a Shedninja team, seems like an interesting challenge for sure. What set for Shedninja is the best?

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Baton Pass on Shedinja also allows you to have the switch initiative when you force something out, allowing trappers like Magnezone, Dugtrio, or Gothitelle to trap any unfortunate switch in. Dugtrio specifically can trap things like Tyranitar, Heatran, and Mold Breaker Excadrill. It also benefits from Defog, and whatever can beat Garchomp and Ferrothorn, or else any stray Shadow Sneaks will be punished.

Certainly going to try a Shedninja team, seems like an interesting challenge for sure. What set for Shedninja is the best?

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpA / 21 SpD
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

The EVs are weird af but they basically allow Clefable to outspeed you while allowing you to OHKO Ditto. I also remember that they can be modified to prevent Porygon from getting a Download boost. Fixed, now you are as weak as possible in case you get Transformed on while preventing Download to raise an opponents special attack.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Hey dudes, of all the OU to Ubers Pokemon that've been thrust upwards from OU, which do you personally miss the most? Mons like Grenny, Landi, and Mawile-M.
I know, they were banned for a reason, but you really can't help but miss the fun they might've brought for you.

For me, it's Genesect. It's just a little too versatile in it's movepool, I suppose, but I loved the Shift Gear set.

Sorry if I can't reminisce like this, but was just wonderin what you all had to say.
Deo-D was stupid broken but making the meta HO fest was really fun for me. Games were quick and I got a lot of Bisharp sweeps.

Free Aegislash, it isn't broken.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Deo-D was stupid broken but making the meta HO fest was really fun for me. Games were quick and I got a lot of Bisharp sweeps.

Free Aegislash, it isn't broken.

Keep him banned, ban stall, nothing but offense. That's the perfect metagame :)

Seriously, I ****ing hate fat teams. Especially when playing WiFi, I can finish a League of Legends game faster than stall on WiFi.

What the hell happenned to the ladder? I'm at 1450 and I'm seeing Toxic Garchomp and banded Landorus spamming Fly. sigh

can i just skip right to 1600 when i make a fresh alt...

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Keep him banned, ban stall, nothing but offense. That's the perfect metagame :)

Seriously, I ****ing hate fat teams. Especially when playing WiFi, I can finish a League of Legends game faster than stall on WiFi.

What the hell happenned to the ladder? I'm at 1450 and I'm seeing Toxic Garchomp and banded Landorus spamming Fly. sigh

can i just skip right to 1600 when i make a fresh alt...
You've just gotten the extra stupid people for some reason, then again low ladder.

Toxic is actually slashed with Fire Blast on the TankChomp analysis.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Toxic is decent to be honest, few of the fellows that check chomp are hindered badly by a toxic, specially if you run metagross.

There is nothing wrong with liking stall, the bad part is mostly it's match up reliance specially with some stuff like Hoopa U running around. If anything stall would benefit a lot from a couple of bans but they ain't happening soon due to a HO hyperbole saying that bad stall match ups are irrelevant because they find mostly offence teams due to stall bring already hindered.

Last edited:

Moonclawz

Aura Trainer

I'd go with Safety Googles instead of the usual Focus Sash. Since keeping away hazards with Mega-Sableye + spinner is usually not hard, being able to survive against teams with Ttar/Hippdown is extremely useful, for example when checking Keldeo that's often paired with Ttar.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I'd go with Safety Googles instead of the usual Focus Sash. Since keeping away hazards with Mega-Sableye + spinner is usually not hard, being able to survive against teams with Ttar/Hippdown is extremely useful, for example when checking Keldeo that's often paired with Ttar.

Yeah, the only times Focus Sash comed into play is when you want to Baton Pass safely by having the sash take the damage. If you play it right, Shedinja should never be attacked.

ger9119

I would have to consider that at some point, but Baton Pass is there to predict a T Tar switch.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
I would have to consider that at some point, but Baton Pass is there to predict a T Tar switch.

Running Safety Goggles though does let you stay in on predicted T-Tar/Hippo and burn them, so that's a perk to it as well. Focus Sash really only helps with a misplay, as Protect can help you scout imo better than Focus Sash.
+ You can send it in to sponge a Spore, although the 2 Pokemon in OU that use it usually carry HP Fire; Rock Tomb/Stone Edge, so that's not really consistent.