• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
The whole inclusion of species linked with Megas in a single tier was pretty confusing anyways. It simplified talking about the species as a whole and for listings, but in reality Megas are completely different than their namesakes in too many ways. It will add more entries through out the tiers, but it will be a lot more specific when saying Mega Venasaur vs. regular Venasaur in conversation. One is a top tier staple, the other is rather niche on a playstyle that's lost its ubiquity. Respectively.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
They made a good decision too late, basically many mega stones are similar to Soul Dew, they themselves make one pokemon too strong for a tier, but without the item the pokemon can fight pretty well down below and make a better metagame, so its really the item that's broken not the pokemon. I'm looking forward to seeing metagross in UU and Ampharos in RU especially.

I'm a little curious about Mega Rayquaza though, so long as it can't mega evolve it is and should be allowed in Ubers again, but should they completely ban Dragon Ascent? Because its basically its basically a mega stone and an item. Or are they just going to make it so it can move

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Shadow Tag is banned, Mega Sableye stays.

They made a good decision too late, basically many mega stones are similar to Soul Dew, they themselves make one pokemon too strong for a tier, but without the item the pokemon can fight pretty well down below and make a better metagame, so its really the item that's broken not the pokemon. I'm looking forward to seeing metagross in UU and Ampharos in RU especially.

I'm a little curious about Mega Rayquaza though, so long as it can't mega evolve it is and should be allowed in Ubers again, but should they completely ban Dragon Ascent? Because its basically its basically a mega stone and an item. Or are they just going to make it so it can move
Dragon Ascent is legal to use and has been since Mega Ray's ban, you're just not allowed to Mega Evolve.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
R.I.P Gothitelle and good riddence. Little bummed Sableye's still here but I'll manage, with Goth gone he won't be nearly as much of an issue anyway.

Shadow Tag was literal cancer.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
As a currently uninformed OU "player," I'm actually okay with Shadow Tag being gone while Sableye stays. Shadow Tag always felt like the enabler for really dumb strategies that eliminates one of the biggest aspects of 6v6 metagames, switching. Maybe Sableye will still be obnoxious even without Shadow Tag support but I feel that without said support, it won't be nearly as ugly to deal with. Who knows though, I'm just theorymonning at this point.

saPower1000

FLIP ALL THE TABLES
As a currently uninformed OU "player," I'm actually okay with Shadow Tag being gone while Sableye stays. Shadow Tag always felt like the enabler for really dumb strategies that eliminates one of the biggest aspects of 6v6 metagames, switching. Maybe Sableye will still be obnoxious even without Shadow Tag support but I feel that without said support, it won't be nearly as ugly to deal with. Who knows though, I'm just theorymonning at this point.

Mega Sableye was a pain to deal with before, but was manageable. Now, it'll be even more so, which is totally fine. Like you said, not being able to switch without expending a turn is pretty grimy, especially with... that THING running around with ST.

BTW: Etrian Odyssey has lovely music, you have some good taste there.

Also, I have yet to receive Hoopa, but I wanted to know what are some good sets besides the ones up on Smogon for Unbound, if anyone has come up with any/teammates. That 80 Speed just really bugs me for Singles.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
lmfao joe had the smogon ou community in a panic when he wrote sableye was getting thunder wave as an event

turns out its just shock wave

Hoopa unbound doesnt have any good sets other than life orb and choice band. Substitute sets might work and trick room might be good, but you want to take advantage of all its moveslots and theres no better way to do so than having a ton of coverage moves

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
lmfao joe had the smogon ou community in a panic when he wrote sableye was getting thunder wave as an event

turns out its just shock wave

Hoopa unbound doesnt have any good sets other than life orb and choice band. Substitute sets might work and trick room might be good, but you want to take advantage of all its moveslots and theres no better way to do so than having a ton of coverage moves

Choice scarf mixed says hi, it's decent and I honestly prefer it over CB wich let's everyone and it's mother abuse him thanks to the dominance on physical walls. I have used substitute outside of TR, it works like sub Keldeo, force things out win a free turn.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Hoopa is not a good TR setter. It dies to strong priority (Bisharp can kill after Stealth Rock), especially after Hyperspace Fury, and trying to set it up unscathed is a crapshoot.

Was kind of hoping Sableye got T-Wave so there would be enough backlash to get it banned.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Was kind of hoping Sableye got T-Wave so there would be enough backlash to get it banned.

I quietly laugh every time I hear a Mega Sableye reference. When it was announced it'd get better defenses and special attack at the expense of speed, with Magic Bounce after Mega Evolving, people gawked. They gawked! They laughed and they jeered. They thought it was a step back. But I knew what was going to happen. +1 priority move turn one, backed up by solid defenses and offense plus literal immunity to status, all from the start. Literally, having your cake and eating it too. People don't realize how a few mechanics tweaks can completely alter the meta.

To my knowledge it has gone through at least one suspect test and is always the hot topic of debate on what's next on the chopping block. I don't think Aegislash even got this much press before it was deemed too much.

If Sableye ever get's Thunderwave, I hope it gets Hex in the same release.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster

Love that news, my infernape already has thunderpunch and bulky DDance Gyarados is fantastic setup sweeper with moxie or intimidate. Not to mention it can deal with jellicent which I find annoying if not that difficult to counter. Hope it doesn't end up BL anytime soon. As for Sylveon its usage is pretty high and it would be dangerous enough as a cleric in UU without even getting into that pixilate hyper voice. Although now Metagross has dropped it might be worth a try, I can't see Sylveon being fair in UU with so many steel types in ou and Scolipede in BL.

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Eh, I kinda like having Florges be decent in UU and not completely outclassed, so Im fine with people having their fun with it in OU.

Agreed. Sylveon needs to stay in OU or BL1 at worse. Tired of all the fairies stepping on each others' toes...

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Agreed. Sylveon needs to stay in OU or BL1 at worse. Tired of all the fairies stepping on each others' toes...

No way in hell is that thing going BL. Florges is just gonna have to deal with Aromatisse in RU if it becomes that bad in UU.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
No way in hell is that thing going BL. Florges is just gonna have to deal with Aromatisse in RU if it becomes that bad in UU.

Florges might have serious trouble in RU compared to UU, there's pretty much nothing the defensive sets can do to really popular mons like steelix or doublade. It might be nice to have it move down to deal special sweepers like Exploud and Meloetta and its a great answer to Slowking, but Florges would also just make steelix even more overused.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Oops haha thread dropped from existence cant have that can we

What's everyones favourite mega to use in the meta currently? I'm a big fan of Metagross. Specifically the Ice Punch variant absolutely demolishes Lando and Garch but it does have me miss Pursuit every now and again. Was thinkin of makin a team with both moves though since most usually expect one or the other so both would be a real treat.
_

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I love mega sableye on balance, he just annoys and forces so many things to come in and out its hard not to like the little guy.