• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Well that's the thing is that Trapper Tran is so anti meta. If it ever became standard it would completely lose its effectiveness because nobody would keep their bulky Waters in on it anymore. It's significantly easier to play around it if you know there's a decent chance your opponent is running it. It would completely lose its surprise factor.

It actually is a standard set now, but the cool thing about it is Magma Storm's trapping effect. If the opponent switches in and gets trapped, then they're helpless to stop you as you hit them with Solar Beam. This makes him harder to scout than other lures, who can be exposed by switching in a check and switching immediately back out again to scout for that "special" coverage move.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
It actually is a standard set now, but the cool thing about it is Magma Storm's trapping effect. If the opponent switches in and gets trapped, then they're helpless to stop you as you hit them with Solar Beam. This makes him harder to scout than other lures, who can be exposed by switching in a check and switching immediately back out again to scout for that "special" coverage move.

Pretty much this, once a heatran switch in realizes it is a solarbeam variant it is already too late to avoid it. With SR on and power herb the bulky water is destined to lose the match up no matter what.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I have something to ask all of you out of great curiosity. With Mega evolutions being a thing this generation, in your own opinion, critique, and analysis, just how much change does mega evolution do on your teambuilding processes versus last generation? Does having a mega on your team so mandatory in the current OU metagame? What are the pros and cons of having a team without a mega versus one team with a mega?

Importantly, with 7th Generation fast , what are your future predictions on the Mega evolution concept? This is not a speculation as to which pokemon gets a mega, but about game mechanics of mega pokemon competitively?

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
It doesn't change stuff much find a Pokemon you want to use, form a core with it, give it some support by either removing things that threaten it or make him better then apply proper offensive/defensive synergy on the rest of the team.

Megas gave us a lot of threats to cover, that's the only big difference.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I have something to ask all of you out of great curiosity. With Mega evolutions being a thing this generation, in your own opinion, critique, and analysis, just how much change does mega evolution do on your teambuilding processes versus last generation? Does having a mega on your team so mandatory in the current OU metagame? What are the pros and cons of having a team without a mega versus one team with a mega?

Importantly, with 7th Generation fast , what are your future predictions on the Mega evolution concept? This is not a speculation as to which pokemon gets a mega, but about game mechanics of mega pokemon competitively?

They really didn't affect my teambuilding process at all. Sure they've got high BSTs but that's balanced by the fact that they can't wield items, so I don't have to take Choice Scarves and whatnot into account when threat checking Megas. I don't really feel the need to have a Mega on my team although I usually do, simply because they're too good to pass up, but not to the point where they're broken.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Megas are effectively mandatory on good teams because they are so darn useful. It's not hard to build around them since there is a wide selection to choose from, and Megaless teams are usually handicapping themselves.

We have no information about the mechanics of Gen 7, so competitive theorymonning is pointless.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Apparently all of the OU rises are related to 2 stall RMTs used for easy ladder points.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
And all the bad RU players rejoice at the loss of Amoonguss. As if stall wasn't already having enough of a tough time in that tier.

The kids crying for Conkeldurr and Sylveon drops like RU kids do to Ambipom also must be happy. Hope Machamp and Florges enjoy their competition.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Jesús UU is going to have it hard now.

Is there any good unaware user left outside of OU, the only one I can think of is Bibarel for Christ sake.

KillerDraco

Jesús UU is going to have it hard now.

Is there any good unaware user left outside of OU, the only one I can think of is Bibarel for Christ sake.

To be fair there's only four fully evolved Pokemon that have Unaware, and Swoobat can't exactly take advantage of it so it due to poor stats everywhere not named speed so it can pretty much be ruled out of the equation.

But now both of the most viable ones are locked into OU... not that it's likely that Clefable will ever drop out of OU at this point. Quagsire has come and gone from OU a few times though, especially during the initial height of MegaZard X's popularity.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Kinda glad about the Conkeldurr drop, its a great pokemon in what was my favourite tier a few months back, it has great bulk with assault vest and hits hard with life orb. Celebi is a good drop too, its a fantastic baton passer despite its typing, but it won't be too broken with the likes of hydreigon and krookodile outspeeding it most of the time. It could form some solid cores with things like or crocune or sharpedo and rotom-H and mega houndoom. Stall is in trouble in UU though, setup sweepers are a problem, especially since a couple of them dropped when the mega-split happened like Gyarados and Salamence, no quagsire and no amoongus is gonna be tough on them.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
But with aggron in UU its still stally. That and many more pokemon lol

Looking for a good defoger

Me too, it would be nice if more non-water types weren't weak to rock had rapid spin. Too many defoggers are weak to rock. I'd reccomend a bulky water like empoleon or mega blastoise.

Thats_My_Names

Me too, it would be nice if more non-water types weren't weak to rock had rapid spin. Too many defoggers are weak to rock. I'd reccomend a bulky water like empoleon or mega blastoise.

Would Starmie be a good rapid spinner then? its base speed is only 115 but its main offensive set contains rapid spin or recover.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Would Starmie be a good rapid spinner then? its base speed is only 115 but its main offensive set contains rapid spin or recover.
Only 115 Base Speed.

Starmie's alright. However, don't run Rapid Spin + Recover unless you're using the bulky set (which isn't super good atm); run 3 non-Rapid Spin attacks with a Life Orb.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster

Starmie is a fantastic rapid spinner, and its speed stat is superb, it can outspeed choice scarf magnezones. Its actually got the fastest base speed stat of any pokemon that learns rapid spin and very few defoggers are as fast. Its ability, natural cure, lets it heal status every time it switches which helps it switch into scald and other moves that inflict status and has solid coverage offensively. Although you should be careful, ghost types and pursuit and sucker punch users can really be a problem for it.

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
Starmie is a fantastic rapid spinner, and its speed stat is superb, it can outspeed choice scarf magnezones. Its actually got the fastest base speed stat of any pokemon that learns rapid spin and very few defoggers are as fast. Its ability, natural cure, lets it heal status every time it switches which helps it switch into scald and other moves that inflict status and has solid coverage offensively. Although you should be careful, ghost types and pursuit and sucker punch users can really be a problem for it.

Just use scald as they switch in.

Since they get burned (since scald actually has 100% chance to burn), you can just hammer away at them till they die.