• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Pre-Bank Balanced Team

ShedZero

During my whole life I've played balanced teams, not too aggressive, not too stall. I'm accepting any advice, including pokemon changes for any pokemon, but Gengar(because he is in every team I make).
I have played this team in competitive minor championship with great sucess and even wrecked some Blaziken at the battle spot, but I feel it can be better.

Forretress@Leftovers
Bold - 252HP, 252Def, 4 Spe; Sturdy
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic Spikes
-Volt Switch
-Rapid Spin

Pretty straightforward, I opted to use Leftovers to prevent Fake Out users from breaking my Sturdy and OHKO him before I can lay any hazard, Toxic Spikes is a personal addition, but it is kind of gimmicky, when it works, it wrecks, when it doesnt work, it is a big let down, setting 3 layers of effective hazards is too difficult. The extra point of speed is just for outspeeding opposing forretresses(wow!)

Lucario@Lucarionite
Adamant - 4HP, 252Atk, 252Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Extremespeed
-Blaze Kick
-Close Combat

This one took me ages to decide the moveset, it used to have SD, but I never needed it, I was at a really big dilema choosing which priority attack I should use, the fairy-killer or the really fast one, after hours of tinkering I decided to put both + close combat, due to meta choices, Bullet Punch hits really hard and extremespeed outspeeds lots of stuff, such as Talonflame and Sucker Punch users. After playing some time I decided to take SD down and put Blaze Kick instead, love the move, not many people know Lucario can learn it and I can do something gimmicky.

Gengar@Focus Sash
Timid - 4HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Destiny Bond
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb

Two killer stabs and thunderbolt for coverage,I opted for Sludge Bomb because of the obvious fae everywhere, Gengar is by far my favorite pokemon, hits like a truck and can kill his killer. I always enjoyed Focus Sash+Destiny Bond, it rarely fails for me, as I'm aware of priority users and I plan myself ahead of them, it also gives me lots of security as I can put a deadly sweeper or a annoying wall down very easily with it. The only problem I had so far was Bulletproof Chestnaught. Gengar why u no learn Sludge Wave via TM?!

Cloyster@King's Rock
Adamant - 4HP,252Atk, 252 Spe; Skill Link
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell

Ahh, my setup sweeper of choice, after one shell smash, it sweeps entire teams, so magical. I like Cloyster a lot, it has too much utility even without smashing, it's almost always a OHKO when hitting for SE, even if it isnt, I'm sure he'll flinch anyway, I decided to pick Razor Shell for coverage, but I kinda regret it, I never use the move, I will probably switch to Ice Shards for more priority, to make Cloyster a perfect pokemon, Shell Smash must have a -1 priority, meaning he can tank a physical hit before sweeping.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Relaxed - 252 HP, 48 Def, 208 SpD
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

The stall king, can tank anything, anytime, anywhere, can kill mons behind substitutes with his ability, he 99% of the time will do the standard Leech Seed -> Protect -> Attack -> Protect, pretty brainless but effective, along with his two powerful stabs he is a very helpful member of the team, like Gengar, he ever-present on my teams, because he is so much good, a perfect mix of bulkyness, utility and power. I opted not to use hazards, Forretress already carry SR and spikes are so unnefective, if it flies or floats it is unnefective, laying down just one layer is unnefective, laying 3 for it to be removed later on, frustrating, at least toxic spikes permanently cripples stuff.

Florges@Leftovers
Calm - 252 HP, 4 SpA, 252 SpD
-Wish
-Aromatherapy
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast

The glorious newcomer, at first I was like, meh, Sylveon will be better, but then, the power to sweep teams, tank stuff, wish passing, curing statuses, but when I say tanking. I MEAN IT, she barely felt a sludge bomb to the face and I was like "WOOOOT?" and spamming wish is just too good, have a wish you too, what about you?, here some wish.

Well, enough, I opted for this particular move set due to past problems I had, I often found myself in situations where my entire team was at 50% or lower or full statuses, even if I was 4 pokemon ahead of my opponent, he could win because I was so crippled that there was nothing I could do.
Also, the calm mind set is very sucessful, but I believe that I should try a more Ferrothornesque kind of stuff, with Toxic or Protect or both.

General Comments: I'm very aware of my team weakness to fire, yet, I didn't lose to any of them, it's always very obvious choices against me, all the popular fire-type can't lay a finger on me due to their frailty to SR and predictability, even Charizard Y, which was the one I thought that would give me trouble was easily put down, while I really preferred that it were less suscetible to fire, I was unable to find similar mons to replace any of the steel-types
Mega Lucario: Checks every fairy, including Mega Mawile, Adaptability Bullet Punch is too good to let it go, acess to Extremespeed

Ferrothorn: Best tank I could find, STAB Gyro Ball is too strong, plus acess to Leech Seed and damaging ability, which punishes a lot popular mons

Forretress: Sturdy + Volt Switch + Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock, too many roles, only him can do it.

Last edited by a moderator: