• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Rain Team Suggestions

HanJolo

My interest in competitive battling has been rekindled and I have decided to work on a weather team. I picked rain, but all weather teams are interesting to me at the moment. I have been tweaking and adjusting my rain team over the past few weeks on Pokemon Online, and am quite happy with the results I've been achieving. With that said there's of course holes in the team, since I still consider myself inexperienced in comparison with many. Here is the team:

186.png

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

I make a bulky Politoed my standard lead to set up rain unless I'm against another weather team. In such a case I will sometimes use a different lead based on my deduction of who my opponent will lead with (Ferrothorn or Volcarona see the lead the most when Politoed doesn't). I chose a bulky Politoed because I felt I didn't need another special attacker. Toxic cripples opponents that Politoed otherwise wouldn't be able to dent, Scald is a good STAB that can burn, perish song stops Pokemon from setting up, and rest gives him a "2nd life" and frees up leftovers to go to Ferrothorn (if using 1 item clause).

459.png

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 112 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Bulk Up
-Substitute

I have been having loads of fun with Toxicroak in the rain. This bulky style is quite hard to kill if allowed any bulk ups with drain punch, sludge, and dry skin. Ice punch gives awesome coverage against several switch ins (such as gliscor and dragonite). Toxicroak is my main wall breaker, and he does it well in the rain. The 12 speed EVs are to outspeed Rotom-W.

667.png

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 spD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Having a volcarona seems to raise an eyebrow every now and then, but I am very much enjoying him on my team. If timed properly I can utilize Volcarona against sun teams (especially against guys like Venusaur) before I even bother setting up rain. Volcarona is still dangerous to steel types such as opposing Ferrothorn in the rain with quiver dance, and hurricane is excellent in the rain against switch ins expecting a fire move, or against opposing sun team volcaronas. The addition of Giga drain has also been enjoyed, as it gives my Volcarona a useful attack against waters, grounds, and rock.

121.png

Starmie @ Expert Belt (or Life Orb if allowed 2)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Rapid Spin

This is a very standard Starmie to my understanding. I was very excited to be able to utilize Starmie properly, as he was a major part of my RBY and GSC teams. Hydro pump hits like a truck in rain, and who wouldn't love 100% thunder in the rain? I have played with using recover instead of spin and using another spinner on the team (such as Tentacruel), but this is where I'm at right now. Natural cure helps with spinning quite a bit, but would also help with recover.

376.png

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 hp
Jolly Nature
-Agility
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch/Hammer Arm

My latest change to the team was to replace Scizor with Metagross, so I'm still testing the waters with this one. At first I thought Scizor to be superior on the team but to my surprise Metagross has been working well. CB metagross hits very hard and, although I already have a steel and a psychic, he offers good coverage with this set. Bullet punch, while weaker than Scizor's Technician'ed punch,allows him to act as a damage dealer and a quasi revenge killer when added to pursuit. Bullet punch also takes advantage of his poor speed (although going back to meteor mash is something I've considered for the brute power). A benefit I see to using Metagross over Scizor is that Torandus doesn't pose as much of a threat in the rain.

628.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Power Whip
-Thunder Wave

I've liked this guy since I first met him. He seems to fit very well on a rain team as a supporter. For a long time I had gyro ball instead of Thunder Wave, but now that Scizor/Metagross will be on my team I prefer to give him the extra crippling ability. I have also tried spikes AND stealth rock, but entry hazards aren't really my thing I suppose (although I still love having atleast SR). Having a grass is very beneficial (especially against Gastrodon!), and Ferrothorn is an excellent choice on a rain team. Leech seed paired with leftovers can make him very difficult to get rid of, especially if I deal with his usual counters beforehand. Seeding or paralyzing an expected switch in is lots of fun as well.

I am still toying with changes on PO, but somewhat feel I have hit a plateau and am going around in circles and would benefit from the advice of experienced competitive battlers. There are a few holes or possible things I would like to change on my team, but am unsure how to fix/change them without being too detrimental to my current setup. They include:

-I feel I may not be utilizing my rain as much as possible, and have considered trying to fit a Tentacruel (can spin so my Starmie can recover, can add extra entry hazards) or Vaporeon (wish would be nice, baton pass acid armor sounds nice, and hydration with rest just sounds excellent) on the team. However, I do feel that each of the members on my team has a good niche and am hesitant to remove anyone.

-I seem to have problems with a few moves/Pokemon, such as Earthquake (it doesn't wreck my team but I don't have immunities or resistances to it). Tornadus can also give me problems in the rain, but replacing Scizor with Metagross has helped out with that. I also have minor problems with Rotom-W, Eelektross, Latios, and Jirachi but overall I believe I'm doing quite well.

-I'm trying to think of a way to jam a few guys on my team but as I mentioned and we all know, it's impossible to have everything we want on a 6 Pokemon team. As I mentioned Tentacruel and Vaporeon look enticing, and I've even considered a Cloyster to take out Dragonites with multiscale, spin, and lay spikes. I've also considered Lapras, Gyarados, a dragon (Latios most likely, but Hydreigon with surf may work) and Jolteon. I also love magic bounce espeon; it takes more prediction to use properly but magic bounce can really screw up status/entry hazard attempts. I used to run a team without a spinner at all and just used espeon as a switch in but SR is so detrimental to Volcarona I feel safer with a spinner.

Thanks for reading my first RMT post here at Serebii! I'll continue to edit the post with any suggested changes I like or things I forgot to mention in the descriptions 

Last edited:

PikaPalace

Random Master
Hello I have looked through your team and its very based on winning the weather war, otherwise standard sand pokemon such as Scarfed Landorus and Ce with hp Fire can wreak your team. Also a plus one Dragonite is another main , so what would I recommend?

Right here is your current set Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Bulk Up
-Payback

With Toxicroak and the bulk up set I would suggest replacing Payback with substitute as Toxicroak is going to get knocked out by a special move and the pokemon giving that blow will be like a Landorus or an Alakazam so for this reason I suggest changing the set to Drain Punch, Ice Punch, Swords Dance and Sucker Punch and the Ev's 4Hp/252Att/252Spd.

Now Metagross is there for priority and I see that and but I don't see him doing good, he is basically Magnezone bait and without earthquake and with the choice band its useless. My options to you are the change your Metagross to an Agility set with Earthquake, Ice Punch, Agility and Bullet Punch great coverage and allows you to outspeed dragons and Landorus. My other option so to change this pokemon completely to Scarfed Latios this allows you to hit treats such as other dragons and scarfers with the standard set Draco/Surf/Psyshock and Trick. He can also act as a revenge killer and a resistor to electric moves as if you do verse another water team Jolten maybe Thunder Abusing or if not a Thunderus as he has Thunder and Focus Blast.
Last thing with Starmie, keep the expert belt and bluff to be choiced, because as he is your spinner he doesn't need to take more damage otherwise this will lead to a dead spinner and literally a dead Volcarona.

Rapidgator

Hello, I think your Toxicroak could use Sucker Punch instead of Payback so it can take out threats that are faster and can take him out with one attack

HanJolo

Hey neato thanks for the input! I'm going away for a week so I won't be able to test out the suggestions for a while, but I sure will when I get a chance. In regards to your suggestion PikaPalace, you mention trying substitute rather than payback but your suggested moveset uses drain punch, ice punch, swords dance, sucker punch. If I'm understanding you correctly you're suggesting substitute if I keep the same EVs, and using the 4 you suggested for the Att/Speed EVs? I'm liking the Metagross idea as well, since he feels like a lesser scizor when I use him choice banded.

PikaPalace

Random Master
Hey neato thanks for the input! I'm going away for a week so I won't be able to test out the suggestions for a while, but I sure will when I get a chance. In regards to your suggestion PikaPalace, you mention trying substitute rather than payback but your suggested moveset uses drain punch, ice punch, swords dance, sucker punch. If I'm understanding you correctly you're suggesting substitute if I keep the same EVs, and using the 4 you suggested for the Att/Speed EVs? I'm liking the Metagross idea as well, since he feels like a lesser scizor when I use him choice banded.

For Toxicroak I'm suggesting either

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Bulk Up
- Substitute > Payback

Or

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Hello HonJolo, nice rain team you've got here.

That said, I have some advice that may help.

First, I'm moreso concerned about Volcarona's not using Bug Buzz or at least Fire Blast instead of Fiery Dance with using the standard Hurricane set. Bug Buzz covers just about as much as Fiery Dance can and perhaps then some. In addition to this, it is not hindered nor weakened by Rain.

:637:
Volcarona@Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
Timid/Modest nature
252 Sp.Attack/ 4 Sp.Def/ 252 Speed
Bug Buzz/Fire Blast, Giga Drain, Hurricane & Quiver Dance

Next, from experience, I've found that Toxicroak need only run a spread of 248 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 8 Speed to be an effectively functioning sweeper on a rain team. Simply put an alternative set with an Adamant nature and the before mentioned spread should suffice. Running a set of Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Substitute & Bulk Up may do well for yoir team. Sucker Punch deals with faster Psychics like Alakazam and the Lati twins who'd otherwise outpace and KO it.

;454;
Toxicroak@Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
Adamant nature
248 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 8 Speed
Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Substitute & Bulk Up

Last, I'd like to suggest changing one of Starmie's attacks to Recover, as it your teams main spinner and will be constantly swtitching in and taking damage. With Recover, Starmie is almost assured a decent longevity during a battle.

I hope these suggestions were of some help and I wish you best of luck with the team. :)

Last edited:

HanJolo

I'm back and have tested out some suggestions :). I have made a few changes to my team in the OP. I feel like my team is more solid now than it was before so you all have my thanks.

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
for metagross change it's evds to 252 attack and 252 speed nature jolly also keep ice punch, this lets you outspeed most choice scarfers such as terrikion, keldeo, torn and thun etc latios is still faster after agilty just so you know, if rain is up metagross beats magnezone and can set up agility on it, then metagross can sweep.

thun t is going be a big pain to this team since it can beat them all ( i rate later want to test the team on po to see what is best)

Hayate Ayasaki

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Agility
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch/Hammer Arm

trying to run an agility set with no investment in speed is kinda pointless and the only stab your usings coverage is terrible, you have problems with latios,tornadus and rotom-w that screams specially defensive jirachi who can also use wish and abuse thunders paralysis hax.

Your team does not work well if politoed goes down vs another weather team, protect would be better on politoed, it better to prevent the damage rather than hope you survive and waste a turn using rest.

Landorus OHKO's or 2hkos everything on your team

HanJolo

Oops you guys are correct. I did change the EVs to 252 Atk / 252 Spe on the Metagross but didn't change it in the edit. Also you guys are both correct; I do have issues with the humanoid gods (ie Tornadus) and Rotom-w. I am not wrecked by them by any means, especially if I get a substitute or some quiver dancing off.

Hayate are you recommending that I use a Jirachi? Perhaps instead of Metagross? One issue is that I plan on using this team on the Gameboy/DS games and don't have a way of obtaining Jirachi T.T