• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Sun Team Needs a lot of help!

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
OU Sun Team (Requesting Help editing)

Hey guys, This is my new OU Sun team. It does need a lot of help, as I have a large amount of weaknesses that overlap and makes it so that my team can be demolished before even getting started. So, here is the team:

038ninetales.gif
leftovers.png
038ninetales.gif

Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Bold Nature
Flamethrower
Substitute
Toxic
Sunny Day

Ninetales is a must on any team. the ability Drought is important, so as much as I dislike the fox, I need to use it. The EV's are a standard Ninetales EV Spread, but i decided to go with bold nature rather than timid. This is because as long as he has some kind of EV Spread, barring a scarfed TTar or some other odd sets, he will be faster than the other weather starters. Flame Thrower is just so he doesn't become taunt fodder, sub is for stalling shenanigans. Toxic is for set up sweepers, and Sunny Day is for obvious weather inducer switch ins.

103exeggutor.gif
lumberry.png
103exeggutor.gif

Trait: Harvest
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Bold Nature
Substitute
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Rest
Meet THE MOST ANNOYING POKEMON EVER IN THE SUN. This thing Can't be killed by any form of physical attack. He pisses people off all the time with a 50% berry reharvest chance, and in the sun that's even worse. Lum Berry + Rest makes sure he can't be statused, and Leech Seed/Giga Drain also brings in constant health Regen. I'm thinking about switching Giga Drain to Psychock or Psychic though. It's a standard Sub Seed Exeggutor with a bit of a twist.

006charizard.gif
leftovers.png
006charizard.gif

Trait: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
Fire Blast
Roost
SolarBeam
Focus Blast
I wanted to test the fact that Charizard in OU is absolutely terrible. This assumption is false. He's pretty bad, but he's not terrible. However, I'm thinking of changing him (which is unfortunate because he's one of my favorite pokemon). Because of that, I'm not really going to go into the details, it's more of a standard smogon set than anything. Maybe the only real problem with him is I used Focus Blast rather than HP Ice, then again probably not.

586sawsbuckwinter.gif
lifeorb.png
586sawsbuckwinter.gif

Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
Horn Leech
Swords Dance
Jump Kick
Nature Power
This guy, on the other hand, has been kicking butt and taking names. He is absolutely phenomenal. with 634 speed after Chlorophyll, he is ready to destroy anything in his path after only one Swords Dance. The set is a real standard Smogon Set, Horn Leech is a great recovery move for him, getting damage off and gaining health. Jump Kick is always a risk, but with Horn Leech he is usually able to get his health back quickly. Always having Nature Power as EQ in competative battles is amazing, and it gives him a great, much needed coverage move.

205forretress.gif
custapberry.png
205forretress.gif

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Volt Switch
This is my Stealth Rocker and Spinner, and he does a damn good job with it. Although he has a dibilitating weakness to fire, he is still able to get AT LEAST Stealth rocks and Spin away opposing rocks before he dies. He is probably one of my favorite pokemon on the team. The set is a pure utility set; but lets be honest: Who uses Forretress for anything else anyway? Unlike his 5th Gen counterpart, Ferrothorn, I have never seen Forretress used for anything else.

593jellicent.gif
leftovers.png
593jellicent.gif

Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
Shadow Ball
Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Ice Beam
If any of you know me, you would know that I absolutely hate the Pringles Pokemon. But with a huge fire/water weakness on this team (one of the aformentioned problems), he gives me a great thing to switch into. However, I don't think he's enough of a switch into these. It's a standard Specially Defensive Smogon Set, with the exception of no water move; being a sun team, I thought having a water move wouldn't work too well compared to the Shadow Ball / Ice Beam coverage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the team. Although I'm happy with it overall, there are a couple of problems. The biggest ones are:

1. Charizard: He is one of my favorite pokemon in the game, but he isn't great. I've used him on RU/NU Sun teams and he works wonders, and he can score a few kills in OU; however, a lot outspeed him and a terrible stealth rock weakness holds him back too much. I'm thinking about switching him to a Special attacking Heatran, but if anyone else has a different suggestion please let me know? Alternatively, if you have a charizard set that works wonders in OU, let me know; I know it isn't too practical, but i would LOVE to keep him on the team.

2. A HUGE fire weakness: Right now, 3/6 pokemon on my team are weak to Fire, incredibly weak to fire! The problem really is Forretress, who I need because he's the best Custap Rocks/Spinner in the game at the moment. I thought about using Donphan instead, but then I have 3 pokemon weak to WATER. I guess that would be a bit better with having Jellicent on the team, but then again, having 3 weaknesses doesn't sit well with me.

I know there are a lot of problems with this team, but those are the big two problems that I would like to get sorted out. I'll take suggestions for OU Pokemon, but if you know any good Lower Tier Pokemon that function well let me know; I love to bring in Lower Tier pokemon and try to make them Viable in OU. Again, any help would be appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A few things. One, Charizard shouldn't be used, especially on a Sun team that runs Forretress as its only Spinner. Every Fire-type move under the sun, including random HP Fires, will stop you from spinning. The second problem with Charizard is that he's still not fast enough to sweep. While a Choice Scarf or Flame Charge can help remedy this, I feel like Bulky Volcarona could help you more.

637.gif

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Bold - Flame Body
252 HP, 204 Defence, 52 Speed
-Quiver Dance
-Morning Sun / Roost
-Fire Blast / Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz / Hidden Power (Ground) / Giga Drain

Volcarona has a huge case of 4MS though. If you don't carry HP Ground, you're walled by Heatran. Without Giga Drain, you need tons of boosts to be able to handle bulky Waters. W/O Bug Buzz, you're walled by Dragons (and even with it Dragonite sits there and giggles at you). Also, the matter of Morning Sun vs Roost depends on how often you win weather wars. Morning Sun heals more health in the Sun but less health in all other weathers. Roost is more reliable, but in the Sun Morning Sun is better. That brings me to the next problem with your team. Salamence will sweep you once it either gets 2 attack boosts or Jello goes down. The only thing you've got to outspeed ScarfMence is the deer, who can't touch it. I'd recommend dropping something (probably Jello) for Heatran. This still helps your Fire weakness, and can actually take advantage of the Sun. There's a few sets you could run. My personal preference is Flame Charge Heatran, but I always run offensive teams.

485.gif

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid - Flash Fire
252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Flame Charge

The idea here is that Heatran forces tons of switches. On one of those switches, you fire off a Flame Charge. Often, your opponent will switch into something that usually counters Heatran, like Dragonite or Infernape, but, now that you outspeed it and have broken any possible Multiscales or Sashes, you can easily KO it. This thing is a monster under the sun, and loves switching in on Fire moves aimed at Sawsbuck or Forretress. A Flash Fire + Sun boosted Fire Blast hurts even resists badly. Simply the Fire Blast spam from this guy and Charizard (or Volcarona if you choose to replace it) will be enough to wear down just about any team.

Alternatively you could run Sp. Def Tran or TrapperTran, but I don't feel like your team overly needs them as much as it could use another sweeper.​

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
I'm going to try each of these individually. I know that it's a sun team, but something about having 3 pokemon weak to water and then 3 pokemon weak to fire at the same time doesn't sit well with me. I'll replace charizard for both and keep Jellicent for now. Thanks for the advice! :)

Rapidgator

Try using Donphan as a spinner, because he isn't weak to fire and with sun, water attacks power is cut,so it's as is it was a neutral damage, and Jellicent Water Absorb covers him

Ludakrix

Legen-waitforit-dary
Might I suggest a tentacruel over Jellicent? Tentacruel walls the special side very well, can spin, and can also lay down some entry hazards if you need them. If you do this, I suggest replacing toxic with will o wisp on nine tales to get that burn status still

I second the suggestion for Bulky Volcarona over Charizard. I use quiver dance/fiery dance/bug buzz/roost with a bold nature. After a single
Quiver dance, the thing kills

I love the Sawsbuck. That thing is my main sweeper on my sun team. I do suggest return over jump kick, however. Return is a super powerful stab and can help it deal with dragon switch ins a little more easily

I really think that a dugtrio would be very welcome on this team. It would allow you to win the weather war a little more easily by trapping in tyranitars and weak politoeds. I would suggest putting it over Forretress if you replace Jellicent with tentacruel

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
I'll give Tentacruel a try, however having Rain Dish doesn't seem helpful. what would be a more helpful ability of his?