• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Sun Team

Diogenes

Pokemon Horder
So I downloaded Pokemon Online the other night and became immersed in the world of Gen 5 Competive battling. I don't own Gen 5 because I don't like the designs, but I have to admit that it gave my faviorate pokemon some awesome abilities, ones that lend themselves very well to a sunny day team. I've done OK with this team

Ninetales @ Choice scarf
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed/ 4 SpDef
-Overheat
-Dark Pulse
-Solarbeam
-Psyshock
She has a very simple statagy: Set up sunlight via Drought, kill everything that doesn't resist fire with overheat, and then get out. If I think I can kill it with solar beam, then I do so and avoid the SpAtk drop so she can stay in a few more turns.

Jolteon @ air balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
EVs: 164 HP/ 28 SpAtk/ 64 SpDef/ 252 Speed
-Volt Switch
-Fake Tears
-Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
Jolteon is only really on my team because I like Eeveelutions and he's the fastest one of those. I stuck an air balloon on him because I realized that my team is kind of vulnerable to ground attacks, what with two fires and one thunder. The EVs are designed to let him take a hit on the switch in, and maybe one afterward.
The idea is that Jolteon switches into ground or electric attacks, paralyzes my opponent, and then Volt Switches away. He also serves as cleric, healing my team of status before the enemy KOs him thanks to his Superior speed.

Arcanine @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
EVs: 80 HP/ 220 SpAtk/ 56 SpDef/ 152 Speed
-Dragon Pulse
-Flame Charge
-Morning Sun
-Solar Beam
Arcanine is awesome. After a flame charge he's faster then most, and since people send water and rock/ground types after him he can blast them away with solarbeam, even if bright sunlight isn't in effect. If sunlight is in effect he can take out kingdra with dragon pulse and heal off surfs. He's sturdy enough to be able to stall using morning sun.

Leafeon @ Sitrus Berry
Abilty: Chlorophyll
Impish Nature
EVs: 128 HP/ 128 Atk/ 84 Def/ 168 Spd
-Leaf Blade
-Sword Dance
-X-Scissor
-Synthesis
After the speed boost from Chlorophyll, Leafeon's 268 speed becomes 536 (i think), making him faster the just about everything. After a sword dance he becomes a great physical sweeper.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
-Psychic
-HP Ground
-Rapid Spin
-Signal Beam
On my team because I needed rapid spin support who could soak up sunny day fire attacks. Other then that I use her to take out fighting types and dark types that are sent after her.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Abilty: Synchronize
Impish Nature
EVs: 232 HP/ 140 Def/ 136 SpDef
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Mean Look
-Moonlight
I originally put Umbreon on my team to baton pass Mean Look. I then sadly discovered that Mean Look and Substitute doesn't pass in Gen 5. He's very bulky hard to kill and annoys the heck out of the enemy with Toxic, but he's easily forced out by taunt and can't touch steel and poison types.

Reading through this, I realized that Umbreon and Jolteon could be replaced by Miltank; what do you think?

Leche

Omg Shiny Scrafty!!!
what happens when tyranitar, abomnisnow, politoed, kingdra, etc come out and rapehax your sun away? :[ ninetails is sort of frail, and tends to die early on. what kind of strategy do you have yo keep her alive incase rain or sand comes in?

G0dPower

pretty good team

i like your team but a few things ill change is give umbreon at least one attack, like maybe payback or sucker punch, so it doesnt become useless after a taunt and correct me if im wrong but isn't it illegal to have dark pulse on a ninetails with drought as it is a fourth gen only move?

Sircharles

Marijuantsome?
what happens when tyranitar, abomnisnow, politoed, kingdra, etc come out and rapehax your sun away? :[ ninetails is sort of frail, and tends to die early on. what kind of strategy do you have yo keep her alive incase rain or sand comes in?

He is right. You need a Pokemon to set up the sun if the weather changes. Plus, I doubt ninetales can stand a bulky water like swampert and friends. Fact is you need to have a Pokemon with sunny day. Maybe arcanine? Maybe not. But even if you can outspeed pokemon with your scarf, you'll be locked into a move that doesn't effect the foe causing you to switch. So idk. Depends if you want it to live longer. Like the pos above. Ninetales is frail, and choice lock is never fun.

Diogenes

Pokemon Horder

Tyranatar is a pain, true. Since it's slower then me it's sandstorm activates after mine. What I usually do is switch Leafeon who can kill him after just one SD. Umbreon can also toxic/mean look it to death, but fears superpower; Abomnisnow is easily killed by Ninetales, Arcanine, or X-scissor Leafeon; Politoad is killed by Arcanine's instant SolarBeam or Leafeon, but if he sets up rain after Ninetales is dead I'm in trouble. Swift Swim Kingdra is a monster.

He is right. You need a Pokemon to set up the sun if the weather changes. Plus, I doubt ninetales can stand a bulky water like swampert and friends. Fact is you need to have a Pokemon with sunny day. Maybe arcanine? Maybe not. But even if you can outspeed pokemon with your scarf, you'll be locked into a move that doesn't effect the foe causing you to switch. So idk. Depends if you want it to live longer. Like the pos above. Ninetales is frail, and choice lock is never fun.

Swampart is easy pickings really, with 4x grass weakness. If I'm locked into overheat and can't solarbeam it, I just Other bulky water-types like mylotic, Gyrados, or vaporeon are harder to kill, although I can usually kill vaporeon with his leafy brother and toxic mylotic to death with umbreon. I hate Gyrados.

I've noticed that my team doesn't really have a way to deal with fliers like Gyrados or Dragonite. Heatran also walls the hell out of me, as does Renuculus after a calm couple of calm minds.

Last edited:

Leche

Omg Shiny Scrafty!!!
Tyranatar is a pain, true. Since it's slower then me it's sandstorm activates after mine. What I usually do is switch Leafeon who can kill him after just one SD. Umbreon can also toxic/mean look it to death, but fears superpower; Abomnisnow is easily killed by Ninetales, Arcanine, or X-scissor Leafeon; Politoad is killed by Arcanine's instant SolarBeam or Leafeon, but if he sets up rain after Ninetales is dead I'm in trouble. Swift Swim Kingdra is a monster.

I honestly think kingdra would tear your team apart. You need another sun inducer to balance this team. Preferabley a bulky one so that it can do some usefulness after setting up sun. I suggest this venusaur:

Venusaur@Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid
252HP/252Speed/4SpD

- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power Fire
- Solarbeam

With this you have the bulk to take any non super effective hit, toss up sunny day, take another hit or all a switch to set up solar beam, cripple counter with sleep powder, or predict with hidden power fire.

edit: Beware though, this venus is smoked and skinned by blissey.

So I downloaded Pokemon Online the other night and became immersed in the world of Gen 5 Competive battling. I don't own Gen 5 because I don't like the designs, but I have to admit that it gave my faviorate pokemon some awesome abilities, ones that lend themselves very well to a sunny day team. I've done OK with this team

Ninetales @ Choice scarf
Ability: Drought
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed/ 4 SpDef
-Overheat
-Dark Pulse
-Solarbeam
-Psyshock
She has a very simple statagy: Set up sunlight via Drought, kill everything that doesn't resist fire with overheat, and then get out. If I think I can kill it with solar beam, then I do so and avoid the SpAtk drop so she can stay in a few more turns.
Good

Jolteon @ air balloon
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
EVs: 164 HP/ 28 SpAtk/ 64 SpDef/ 252 Speed
-Volt Switch
-Fake Tears
-Heal Bell
-Thunder Wave
Jolteon is only really on my team because I like Eeveelutions and he's the fastest one of those. I stuck an air balloon on him because I realized that my team is kind of vulnerable to ground attacks, what with two fires and one thunder. The EVs are designed to let him take a hit on the switch in, and maybe one afterward.
The idea is that Jolteon switches into ground or electric attacks, paralyzes my opponent, and then Volt Switches away. He also serves as cleric, healing my team of status before the enemy KOs him thanks to his Superior speed.
Good

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-ExtremeSpeed
-Flare Blitz
-Morning Sun
-Close Combat
Arcanine is awesome. After a flame charge he's faster then most, and since people send water and rock/ground types after him he can blast them away with solarbeam, even if bright sunlight isn't in effect. If sunlight is in effect he can take out kingdra with dragon pulse and heal off surfs. He's sturdy enough to be able to stall using morning sun.
This moveset is what I've seen on most Arcanines. I would suggest using this one since the moveset is popular.

Leafeon @ Sitrus Berry
Abilty: Chlorophyll
Impish Nature
EVs: 128 HP/ 128 Atk/ 84 Def/ 168 Spd
-Leaf Blade
-Sword Dance
-X-Scissor
-Synthesis
After the speed boost from Chlorophyll, Leafeon's 268 speed becomes 536 (i think), making him faster the just about everything. After a sword dance he becomes a great physical sweeper.
Good, not to mention, my Leafeon has the same exact moveset, but Leaf Guard is what I'd go with to prevent status problems while the sunny weather is going on, but it's your choice on what ability you want.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
-Psychic
-HP Ground
-Rapid Spin
-Signal Beam
On my team because I needed rapid spin support who could soak up sunny day fire attacks. Other then that I use her to take out fighting types and dark types that are sent after her.
Hmm, I would say to give it thunderbolt to at least be able to take out some flying types like Skarmory since it is also a wall pokemon. But that's your choice.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Abilty: Synchronize
Impish Nature
EVs: 232 HP/ 140 Def/ 136 SpDef
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Mean Look
-Moonlight
I originally put Umbreon on my team to baton pass Mean Look. I then sadly discovered that Mean Look and Substitute doesn't pass in Gen 5. He's very bulky hard to kill and annoys the heck out of the enemy with Toxic, but he's easily forced out by taunt and can't touch steel and poison types.
Hmm, Good enough.

Reading through this, I realized that Umbreon and Jolteon could be replaced by Miltank; what do you think?

Suggestions are in Bold