• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

OU Team, Needs Help

Rhonder

Hello, I'm just coming back to pokemon after a couple month long break, and am wanting help fixing this team up. It performs moderately well, but overall its win/loss record is definitely in the negatives. Any help/comments/questions are welcomed :3

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is my lead. I set up stones, and brave bird/whirlwind as needed until I have to switch out. Roost is nice if I can safely get it in to heal the bird.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor is the newest edition to my team. I've never used one before so I just ripped off Smogon's set until I have the experience to tamper with my own. Mostly I had been having troubles with the Latis, and he's helped to a degree, but I'm still adjusting.

Mamoswine (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mamoswine is a great phys. attacker. Ice Shard is priority, Ice Crash packs a harder punch, and Earthquake is the strongest stab here. I rarely/never use stone edge so a new move there would be good.

Chandelure (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower

Chandelure is one of my favorite 5th gen pokemon. He just hits soooo hard. His set is mostly to give coverage. He's heavily invested in speed since I choose not to scarf him, I like the variety. Surprisingly enough, he's actually fast enough to outspeed quite a bit, and people are mostly always shocked to find that he's not locked into 1 move.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Gastrodon is handy. It's fairly bulky and has decent coverage.I use him to absorb water attacks, and strike back pretty hard as well. Ice Beam is an awesome offensive move in general, hitting all dragons pretty hard, as well as things like Gliscor. Scald is stab and can burn, and earth power is also stab, and a touch stronger than scald. Recover is for healing, obviously.

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

And last but not least, Breloom. He's running his standard set. Spore, then Sub/Punch with Seed Bomb thrown in for coverage. Not a whole lot of depth behind this set.

Thank you! :3

Rhonder

no no, nitpicking's great! I'll try that out :3

Rhonder

Usually I only run into Ninetails or Heatran. In either scenario, I usually switch into Chandelure. With Ninetails, I'd then respond with Shadow Ball usually, or with Heatran I'd switch into Gastrodon and use Earth Power if it's on a balloon, scald if not. If I want to be extra safe, I sometimes go straight to Gastro on Heatran. The results are mixed, and I agree that if I were to encounter an Infernape or something similar I would indeed be screwed. Kind of a glaring Fire weakness o-o It used to be slightly (not much) better until this week, where I was using my OU viable Ampharos instead of Scizor, but I needed something quite and strong. Hmmm any suggestions? If I could even find something good that was resistant to fire that'd be better.

Soperman

The One and Only
Mamo could use Superpower if you need a replacement for Stone Edge.
For Breloom, maybe you could replace Mach Punch over Substitute. I You could have beat me earlier if you had a priority move. Also, just use Spore to force a switch, then Focus Punch their faces.
You may want either Life Orb or Scarf on Chandy; hits harder with LO, Scarf is for the ability to hit something.
Nice team tho, not much else I can see wrong.
I mean absolutely no offense when I say this, but based on personal experience, sometimes if you have a team and it keeps losing, it's you, not the team
Well, usually it is the team. BUT SOMETIMES IT ISN'T.

Rhonder

^No, I totally agree xD I definitely feel that with other games I play with my friends. With Yugioh, for example, I'll lose like 10x in a row to one of my friends, then another person comes over, uses it, and wins 3 times in a row straight up.

Back to the team, I'll definitely try out those changes and see how they work. I'm just finishing up so I'll be able to try out all of the things suggested thus far and update the first post with results/the updated team.

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
Heatran is a big threat to this team, with Fire blast and Earth power it destroys 5/6 of your team.
If your opponent is also running Ferrothorn you can really do anything.
Heatran beats Chandelure, Scizor, Skarmory, and Breloom for sure as it outspeeds and is able to 1-hit ko (or 2) them all.
Ferrothorn would wall your Mamo and Gastro and kill them with Gyro Ball and Power whip, or just Power whip.

To threaten them I would suggest either a Terrakion or a maybe a Tentacruel with Liquid Ooze (?). Terrakion can kill them both with CC.
You'd may go for sub SD Terrakion asthat will be able to sweep their whole team. Also a Tyranitar would be a good addition to this team, with Fire blast and something that can takeon Heatran you have your two threads. It also give some nice special defense boosts.

Rhonder

I haven't tried Tyrani yet, but I placed Terra in for Scizor, and he's def pretty bamf. Not used to it quite yet, but even when I fumble it does well. I'll need to update the first post tomorrow

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
I suggest you move the 8 Spdef back to speed. Since 2 spdef points don't really make you live anything while 2 speed points can be the difference between whirlwinding out an opposing skarmory and getting whirlwinded yourself.