• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Our Cup Runneth Over! (543)

This episode was quite boring imo - nothing exciting at all happend except for the last 5 seconds.

Oh, and Milotic is sooo overused. I hate that thing now, it's almost as annoying as Piplup.

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
This episode was quite boring imo - nothing exciting at all happend except for the last 5 seconds.

Oh, and Milotic is sooo overused. I hate that thing now, it's almost as annoying as Piplup.
Milotic is kind of a contest legend. So it obvious if an execptional trainer has a Milotic.

I don't think Milotic is anywhere near boring compared to Piplup. We saw it with only four people, Robert, Juan, Lucy and Wallace. That doesn't make it overused. If anyone is overused its Gyarados. It comes from Kanto and Milotic comes from Hoenn. So obviously Gyarados is more overusd.

Somorio

Waiting for a hound.
if only there were other contest legend pokemon.

like for example pokemon that you had to max out smartness toughness cuteness or coolness, in order to evolve.

at least milotic might not be overused if they did that...

oh well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Anyone notice Dawn was doing that practice appeal pretty well until an image of Zoey flashed in her mind and then she messed up entirely?

I LOL'd.

HoennMaster

Another sign that means that Zoey needs to disappear. Maybe when May beats her Zoey will run away and never return (no Lion King reference intended).

Ayra

~Master Coordinator~
I don't know about that. I didn't think that Dawn's appeal was good enough to get to the second round of a Contest, quite yet. She needs loads more practice.

~Ayra~;267;

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Since Zoey's getting owned by May (any hint of shipping?), I think that so long as the Ginger-Ninjer keeps showing her warty face here, manipulating Dawn, then Dawn'll never win a contest again. What she needs to do is to ignore Zoey and do her own thing.

Ayra

~Master Coordinator~
That won't help her. She need to teach Piplup to ALWAYS have complete control over its Whirlpool, Pachirisu has NO control over its Discharge, Ambipom's Swift is a little slow, and her Buneary's Ice Beam needs to be stronger. Dawn won't have a CHANCE against May. May's too good.

~Ayra~;267;

uber gon

Accept Change
I love the number of posters in this thread that quite obviously haven't read the previous posts...
Anyway, I liked this episode. Yes, it was a little slow, but it was oh so shiny! The sheer number of water types and their attacks just goes to show that the only contest 'category' that matters from the games is the 'Beauty' category. Lots of shiny stars!
The preview for the next episode/arc looks promising, and I think I'm going to enjoy it very much so.

It's kind of a shame that the beauty aspect of contests is the only empahsized one. I'd love to see the others aspects in coordinating used by the other pokémon?

HoennMaster

Why were Ash and Brock looking at the map of Snowpoint, and what were May's lines?

Edit: Saw about Ash's lines, but did May say anything?

Also, what was the dialog like when they shows Wallace in front of the Hoenn "illusion"

tipnottippy

Back for the lulz
Also, what was the dialog like when they shows Wallace in front of the Hoenn "illusion"

Yuuka: Wallace goes around Hoenn and Kanto, hosting a Contest called the Wallace Cup. He does it to promote Contests.

Also for those of you who are constantly going, "DAWN NEEDS TO STOP LISTENING TO ZOEY! ZOEY'S ADVICE IS WHY SHE PHAILS," I have a wrench to throw at ya: Zoey's right.

This episode of the anime confirms it.

Zoey had warned Dawn that latter was failing her appeals because the Pokemon's attacks were completely concealing the Pokemon instead of bringing it out and showing it off.

In Dawn's flashback to Zoey during the ep, Zoey says, "The star is the Pokemon. By just polishing up the techniques, you've forgotten what you're really supposed to be showing off."

Later, when Brock asked Wallace what he thought of Dawn's performance in the short exhibition battle she had with Ash in the ep, he said pretty much the exact same thing Zoey said.

Wallace: It certainly seems like you might get a little too carried away with showing off techniques.

The only difference is that Wallace also gave Dawn some clear-cut advice on how to fix her problem.

Wallace: I'd like you to think about what might be called "Piplup-ness." Without thinking only about showing off or performing, try being more natural. Dawn, have you played with your Pokemon recently?

And then Dawn has her epiphany.

Dawn: Play...? That's right! All I've been thinking about are Contests, and that's just about myself. I've been so concerned with myself more than my Pokemon, and I probably haven't properly played with them!

Then, near the end of the ep...

Dawn: Thinking about my Pokemon before anything else... It seems easy, but it's actually hard. That I have to fully understand everyone's individual charm... I've gotta do my best!

Ash: Wallace said... "Play with your Pokemon."

Brock: Maybe that's connected to the Pokemon's charm?

(...I am just gonna end up translating the entire ep's dialogue at this point, aren't I?)

Blue_Lightning8

Moon Prism Power!
Anyone notice Dawn was doing that practice appeal pretty well until an image of Zoey flashed in her mind and then she messed up entirely?

I LOL'd.

Haha, I'd LOVE to see that.

It's because we all hate Zoey, the push bia***.
She goes into everyone's dreams to turn it into nightmares.

Seraphen

Ain't bitter
Yuuka: Wallace goes around Hoenn and Kanto, hosting a Contest called the Wallace Cup. He does it to promote Contests.

Also for those of you who are constantly going, "DAWN NEEDS TO STOP LISTENING TO ZOEY! ZOEY'S ADVICE IS WHY SHE PHAILS," I have a wrench to throw at ya: Zoey's right.

This episode of the anime confirms it.

Zoey had warned Dawn that latter was failing her appeals because the Pokemon's attacks were completely concealing the Pokemon instead of bringing it out and showing it off.

In Dawn's flashback to Zoey during the ep, Zoey says, "The star is the Pokemon. By just polishing up the techniques, you've forgotten what you're really supposed to be showing off."

Later, when Brock asked Wallace what he thought of Dawn's performance in the short exhibition battle she had with Ash in the ep, he said pretty much the exact same thing Zoey said.

Wallace: It certainly seems like you might get a little too carried away with showing off techniques.

The only difference is that Wallace also gave Dawn some clear-cut advice on how to fix her problem.

Wallace: I'd like you to think about what might be called "Piplup-ness." Without thinking only about showing off or performing, try being more natural. Dawn, have you played with your Pokemon recently?

And then Dawn has her epiphany.

Dawn: Play...? That's right! All I've been thinking about are Contests, and that's just about myself. I've been so concerned with myself more than my Pokemon, and I probably haven't properly played with them!

Then, near the end of the ep...

Dawn: Thinking about my Pokemon before anything else... It seems easy, but it's actually hard. That I have to fully understand everyone's individual charm... I've gotta do my best!

Ash: Wallace said... "Play with your Pokemon."

Brock: Maybe that's connected to the Pokemon's charm?
If that so, then again why is all the Zoey hate?

runka

Charizard pwns it!
Haha, I'd LOVE to see that.

It's because we all hate Zoey, the push bia***.
She goes into everyone's dreams to turn it into nightmares.

Mmph...I won't be able to sleep for 1000000000 years after this...
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

tipnottippy

Back for the lulz
@ Seraphen: Probably because most, if not all, of the Zoey-haters can't understand Japanese and therefore utterly missed that in the episode.

Really, the most Zoey can be accused of is presenting the truth about Dawn's appeal flaws in such a way that she merely scared Dawn without offering Dawn a solution, as opposed to how Wallace was nicer about it and gave Dawn a big clue about how to solve the problem. But there's absolutely zero basis for accusing Zoey of being wrong about the quality of Dawn's appeals.

In b4 "yah well zoeys still a *****".

Last edited:

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
FTR, I don't hate Zoey. I just feel like we see too much of her. I bet most of the hate comes from how she's translated into English. I was reading on another site that compares the original and the dub; and in "A Stand up Sit Down" the dub made her sound very stuck-up and *****y while the original did the same, but it used a different way almost jokingly.

With all you said about her not focusing on her Pokemon, it totally explains why she didn't beat the appeals in Solaceon Town. Hearthome City still baffles me however.

It's a little weird though that Wallace accuses Dawn of getting carried away when all Piplup did in that battle was Peck and Whirlpool.

Dax

Legend
My intentions are not to bash Zoey but honestly, if you compare this episode with the last training episode Dawn had, there's a big difference in terms of entertainment. I don't know if it was Zoey that made the last one boring but... I thought this episode was really fun and with a cool animation I enjoyed it more. Wallace was great, the battles were great and Jessie was awesome.

I really believe Milotic's appeal is pretty much the best one we ever had in the show. It was so well done and it wasn't really a typical appeal. I know a lot of people don't like Milotic because it appears too much but it didn't bother me at all. Milotic is pretty much my favorite water type so I can't complain.

I found very odd that Pachirisu, Ambipom and Piplup were with Dawn and Buneary is more interested in being with Ash. I know Pikachu is in there and maybe that's the main reason they do it, but still I found it odd. I still love the thing and I'm glad she's finally getting her little moments.

The thing that impacted me the most was Staravia and Gligar holding on to Sudowoodo. It was a minor thing but I thought it was very cute.