1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ouran Highschool Host Club

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by CraziedCreator, Aug 19, 2012.

1. CraziedCreator

CraziedCreator The Crazy One

I did a quick little search, and found no thread for Ouran so I decided to make one. To be honest I was wondering if anyone else here even watched it. So if you have seen Ouran, who is your favorite character?

2. Liltwick

Liltwick Life Cheating Game

I honestly though Haruhi was a guy at first, and I learned at the Same time as Temaki-Senpai....

3. CraziedCreator

Same here. But it took me about four times of rewatching the episode to find out what the lightbulbs meant. After that I felt really dumb...Again...

4. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

I have tried on 8 or 9 different occasions to get through the first episode, my record is about 6 minutes before getting bored. That's after so many people recommended it to me saying I would love, I don't understand why people rate this show so highly and I never will.

5. CraziedCreator

Do you prefer action animes? Because if so, than that's why. Ouran is an emotional anime.

6. AceFlonne

AceFlonne Mediator

I used to watch this before. then I watch several animes. Now I don't know why this show is praised so highly

7. Jolteon91

I prefer Slice of Life actually, which is what Ouran as, and it's the only slice of life I've seen so far I haven't enjoyed.

8. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

This is pretty much my take on it.

And I love Emotional and Slice-of-Life anime so me not liking this doesn't make a sense. I absolutely hate the twins and that loli blonde kid.

9. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

Most of the first episode is set-up, introducing the characters, placing Haruhi in the predicament that carries the whole series and setting the tone. There are some funny bits sprinkled in like the "commoner's coffee scene" for example. I found as it goes on it gets really funny, especially if you're watching it with friends.

Ugh, on the other hand don't try to sell anything as an "emotional anime" and assume they prefer generic shounen.

I'd say Ouran in a Comedy more than anything. There are some dramatic heartfelt moments, but at it's core it's silly fun. Crazy overreactions, ignorant "rich people" jokes, and a massive parody of the bishounen stereotypes. There are more than several scenes of the boys wooing girls or even the twins acting gay, but no matter how spot-on it seems it's all meant to be a joke.

Oddly enough, if there's any anime that reminds me of Ouran, it's probably The iDOLM@STER, which is your favourite anime if I recall. It may not feature as large of a cast but the assortment of character types are all there. Each character gets an episode or two to see what makes them tick and flesh out their backstory and it's handled really well. The major difference being that Ouran plays itself for comedy while The iDOLM@STER is a slice of life.

10. Jolteon91

That's what I find odd, when I look at Ouran I can understand why people have recommended it to me. It looks like a show that I would genuinely enjoy based off my other tastes, and yet I can't get through the first episode.

11. Charizard Champion#06

That is odd. I don't know what else to say, it's not like I'm going to FORCE you to watch it or be all "You have to watch up to this point where it gets really good!" If you don't feel like sitting through it then that's fine.

12. I heard this anime was really good and I plan to watch it sometime in the future. Can't really say anything else about it.

13. Lanik

Lanik Well-Known Member

I watched 5 episodes of it, but I couldn't go any further because the show is mostly targeted by girls. >_>

14. AceFlonne

AceFlonne Mediator

That isn't an excuse though.

15. Liltwick

WHo honestly cares if it's Shonen or Shojo? I've been nagged at to watch shows from both Catagories, and I do say while the First Episode is boring, Watch episode four before giving up on it completely. It's like Hetalia. Watch Episode 31 First to see if you would like it or not.

16. Charizard Champion#06

I'm a guy and I have no problem with it. When the person who told me about was describing it she said I probably wouldn't like it because of the twins but I still enjoyed it. It's like grown men watching My Little Pony except Ouran fans aren't so in-your-face about it.

What if someone prefers to watch a series in order? (like myself)

And to anyone who hasn't watched Ouran yet please note that it's not like Hetalia. Well, not entirely.

17. Liltwick

I know it isn't like Hetali, I meant with it looks to cheesy until you actualy watch it aspect...

Also, I watched some bloopers, and What were those twins doing!?

18. Jolteon91

That's because male anime fans have been watching shows targeted at a female audience long before most "bronies" decided it was cool.

19. Charizard Champion#06

Oh God I LOVE Ouran's dub bloopers.

"All blooty is beautiful"
    Vic's Star Wars references are also awesome. Caitlin Glass messes up her lines a lot.

This. Yes. Exactly. Precisely. Correct. Right. True. 100%. On the money. Perfect. Unmistaken. On the ball. Amen. Fact. Okay.
    I agree.

20. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Well Japan does aim more towards the male audience in general. Wait, does that explain why those fan-boys are so quiet?