• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Out of the iterations of Ash, DP gave us the best in his character growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash's character stands out the most in this series because he feels very competent and mature for a trainer while having flaws like his hot-headedness which eventually he got better control and acting a bit childish at times. His skills in this series is developed really well and it's shown in the Sinnoh League. His rivalry with Paul really showed his vulnerable side and his flaws getting the best of him which caused him to lose most of the time, but he gotten better at improving his strategies and more accepting of Paul's ideals which gave him a great win in the league long with his Infernape who Paul abandoned. He defeated legendaries showing he's basically the second best in the league. This series really showed his character came a long time since the start of his journey, but then BW happened...

SatoSereFan224888

I kind of agree. In XY he was more mature and seemed to be better at battling. Too bad he got screwed out of both Sinnoh & Kalos League victories.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Based and correct take OP

Ash-Pikachu

I think the issue is that DP Ash's character growth was consistent throughout the entire series where the perspective he has on his own philosophies, as well as his skill as a trainer, was put into question multiple times. In contrast to XY Ash, we are given the impression that he is an expert battler with very few character flaws until towards the end of the series when he tries to regain his confidence after losing to Sawyer, Alain, and Wulfuric. XY Ash felt like a proper continuation of Ash but DP Ash was more compelling because it forced Ash to grapple with what it means to be a Pokemon trainer and that's a conflict he's never experienced thus far.

Ryker101

Fax OP. It’s not only a great arc in of itself, but feels like the final steps in his growth. It builds of OS and AG bc he’s learnt how to battle as a trainer, care for his pokemon, start training them outside of battle and gotten humbled. Paul also pushed him to his limits by being his equal and opposite. Ash and Pikachu went from not even walking together to taking down legendaries

OS-DP really feels like its own saga, like a massive overarching story that shows all of Ash’s development. BW-XY felt the same to me, similar thing with SM-JN. But they’re not as good imo bc their either rehashing old beats or don’t have as much time to develop him

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
People tends to forget that Paul was using the Pokemon he caught in other regions against Ash at Lake Acuity battle while Ash was using his Sinnoh team. Ash could have possibly won had he also used his other regional Pokemon or the outcome wouldn't have been 6>2 in Paul's favor at best. That said I agree with you most part OP.

Ash-Pikachu

People tends to forget that Paul was using the Pokemon he caught in other regions against Ash at Lake Acuity battle while Ash was using his Sinnoh team. Ash could have possibly won had he also used his other regional Pokemon or the outcome wouldn't have been 6>2 in Paul's favor at best. That said I agree with you most part OP.
He used his Pikachu which defeated Regice and he still lost lol.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
So pretty much this

Nerfachu < Electabuzz
Swellow = Honchkrow
Snorlax >= Ursaring
Sceptile < Torterra
Charizard > Magmortar
Glalie > Weavile

--------------------------------

Charizard >= Torterra
Sceptile > Ursaring
Snorlax > Electabuzz
Glalie => Magmortar
Swellow = Honchkrow
Nerfachu > Weavile

Ash-Pikachu

Come on, Pikachu isn't even consistent in power.
He can beat Regice and tie to Elekid. He can tie to Latios and lose to lvl 5 Snivy.
Yes I know. It's just interesting to think about how Brandon is a huge benchmark for Paul which Ash managed to overcome thanks to Pikachu's victory over Regice and yet Pikachu struggled in his battle against Paul. I don't doubt that Ash wouldn't have struggled had he used his reserves.

That said, wasn't Weavile and Torterra the only pokemon that Paul used in the battle that had experience across multiple regions? Electabuzz, Ursaring, and Honchkrow were definitely newly caught or inexperienced pokemon when Paul started his journey in Sinnoh. I'm not sure if Magmar was a newly caught pokemon or not since all we know is that he was Chimchar's replacement.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Paul
Torterra (Ressrve)
Weavile (Reserve)
Honchkrow (Reserve)
---‐------------------------‐------
Nidoking (Unknown)
Hariyama (Unknown)
Aggron (Unknown)
Magmortar (Unknown)
Froslass (Unknown)
Gastrodon (Unknown)
Drapion (Unknown)
---‐------------------------‐------
Electivire (Newly Caught)
Ninjask (Newly Caught)
Ursaring (Newly Caught)
Gliscor (Newly Caught)
Chimchar (Newly Caught)
3x Starly (Newly Caught)
Stantler (Newly Caught)
Azumarill (Newly Caught)

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Fax OP. It’s not only a great arc in of itself, but feels like the final steps in his growth. It builds of OS and AG bc he’s learnt how to battle as a trainer, care for his pokemon, start training them outside of battle and gotten humbled. Paul also pushed him to his limits by being his equal and opposite. Ash and Pikachu went from not even walking together to taking down legendaries

OS-DP really feels like its own saga, like a massive overarching story that shows all of Ash’s development. BW-XY felt the same to me, similar thing with SM-JN. But they’re not as good imo bc their either rehashing old beats or don’t have as much time to develop him
I feel like they do the series in pair of generations, with harder changes happening after each pair
OS is composed by Kanto and Johto already
AG and DP proceeded to mature Ash but changed up things from OS
Then BW-XY and SM-JN

They even have smoother transitions usually

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
No, it didn't. Ash at the beginning of DP was a better person and Trainer than at the end. Making him accept the rival without the rival changing its monstrous ways is the writers' gravest sin. The rival's so-called different ideals are completely unacceptable and are shown time and time again to never work for a single other Trainer and are considered lines that when crossed at any other point in the series render a Trainer irredeemable, yet the series continues to treat the rival as though it is justified in its awful ways. Ash at the beginning would never have been cruel enough to purposely gotten his Pokemon hurt just to activate their Ability, yet that's exactly what he does at the League with Infernape. DP does not grow Ash's character. It assassinates it.
Yup and ever since then Ash is the abuser (neglecting his past Pokémon is considered abuse too), while Paul went the other way and started treating his Pokémon better. :p

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
So pretty much this

Nerfachu < Electabuzz
Swellow = Honchkrow
Snorlax >= Ursaring
Sceptile < Torterra
Charizard > Magmortar
Glalie > Weavile

--------------------------------

Charizard >= Torterra
Sceptile > Ursaring
Snorlax > Electabuzz
Glalie => Magmortar
Swellow = Honchkrow
Nerfachu > Weavile
Sceptile and Charizard have defeated legendaries. They are both comfortably > Torterra

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Sceptile and Charizard have defeated legendaries. They are both comfortably > Torterra
Sceptile didn't do ALL of the damage to Darkrai it was a group effort,at best Sceptile is equal to Torterra but I honestly think Torterra has the slight edge in raw power/durability while Sceptile has the significant advantage in speed.Charizard being stronger than Torterra I agree with.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Sceptile didn't do ALL of the damage to Darkrai so it was a group effort,at best Sceptile is equal to Torterra but I honestly think Torterra has the slight edge in raw power/durability while Sceptile has the significant advantage in speed.Charizard being stronger than Torterra I agree with.
Darkrai took a Megahorn, then healed himself with Dream Eater, then was hit by Rock Smash of all moves before being defeated by Sceptile.

Best case Darkrai healed all damage done by Heracross, worst case he healed nearly all damage done by it. It was unfazed by Rock Smash, so it’s fair to say that Sceptile did defeat it nearly alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.