• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Out of Universe: Why Yellow was disguised as a boy to begin with?

matt0044

I mean, she gives out her real name anyways so it seems pretty weird in retrospect. Not that I don't like her more boyish design when it comes to female characters in Manga but this's been bugging me for some time.

Anybody wanna speculate?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's been a long time since I last read that arc, but wasn't Yellow once a victim of a kidnapping or something when she was a kid due to her abilities to empathize with Pokémon? (Or even if she wasn't, because she has this ability it's obvious bad people would target her. If it wasn't ever a thing or explained, that's the best explanation I got.) Maybe it was just to disguise her identity, and she's outdoors all the time anyway. Long hair's pretty inconvenient to have when you're doing outdoor activities.

Her hat has a really huge rim, though, always thought that was weird.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm assuming matt0044 wants to know the "real-world" reason for Yellow pretending to be a boy. The in-universe reason (aka the explanations in the story) are well-known already. She did it so because Blue/Green (the girl) suggested it.

matt0044

I think Kusaka just wanted a twist for the arc. He likes those.

I've actually heard some theories that it was because Kusaka wanted a female protagonist in an otherwise Shonen action series but added the sombrero to hide her gender from the editorial staff. You know how kids media can be: tight wad executives just love each demographic to have specific needs based on their own biases.

Lucky3

I've actually heard some theories that it was because Kusaka wanted a female protagonist in an otherwise Shonen action series but added the sombrero to hide her gender from the editorial staff. You know how kids media can be: tight wad executives just love each demographic to have specific needs based on their own biases.
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I doubt any mangaka could get away with straight up lying to the editors about something as basic as the gender of the protagonist. If they wanted Yellow to be a boy, they could have just forbid him from revealing the secret. But maybe it was them who told him to hid it because they thought a female protagonist would turn off the shonen demographic, and by the time it was revealed, they would already be engaged enough in the plot to don't mind.

e9310103838

Yamamoto has said recently that Yellow may have been living around the Dody-riding trip and sketching. Dress up like this more convenient to action.

And this has become one of her personalities which is why she does it now and not to cover up her gender.

They initially cover up her gender because this is a shonen manga basically, yea, the reason was as Lucky3 said. ;414;