• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Over-used Pokemon in fanfics

Clare

The Dainty Delcatty
I recently saw a post in the Advice For Aspiring Authors topic over on the main fanfic forum, which basically said that certain Pokemon (the poster cited Charmander as one of the examples) are over-used in fanfics and that people should think about using some that aren't seen so often. And it got me wondering how you feel about this issue. When writing a fanfic, would you ever not use a Pokemon just because "it's been done to death"?

Speaking for myself, I tend not to think about whether a Pokemon is "over-used" or not. If I want to use it, I will, though I do try to be realistic when it comes to giving Pokemon to characters. For example, I wouldn't give a rookie trainer a Charizard (over-used or not) but I might give one to a more experienced trainer. Besides, I don't think people should compromise their ideas just to suit those who think certain Pokemon are cliched.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
When writing a fanfic, would you ever not use a Pokemon just because "it's been done to death"?
No. What pokémon your trainer has greatly affects the course of the story. It's too important a decision to be left up to, "Well, you see this pokémon a lot, so I guess I can't use it!"

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You can have fun with clichés if you know what to do. There really shouldn't be any reason why you can't give a character a regular starter Pokémon. If people are always saying that giving a trainer a Pokémon that's not a traditional starter as their first makes them a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, then it should be safe to just keep the normal starters. Now would that make Eevee, Meowth, or even a Clefairy clichéd starters? The Clefairy is a "maybe", but I've seen Eevee and Meowth starters before. So if a Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle are overdone to death, then what should I really use?

The Pokémon are what define the characters if they are to be trainers. There is something special about why this certain Pokémon is on their team. To just throw in whatever Pokémon comes to your mind is what would make it overdone. You really can't just open up the official Pokémon handbook or to a random PokéDex page and go, "That'll be my character's starter, I'm so original!" You have to think of these things ahead of time.

Now if the starter Pokémon was a Legendary, then I would be concerned about the well-being of the story, unless it's for a good reason. But even those kinds of stories are hard to find amongst all the bad stories where a trainer does start with a Legendary for the heck of it.

3D992

The Living Hologram
I think riolu is used way too much. It seems everyone doesnt want to use regular pokemon so they use something different. This pokemon usually ends up a riolu because their lucario evolution. A lucario makes the character more "special" than everyone else. If you want something special, dont use an overused pokemon. I've never seen a flying type starter. Or a tauros or anything like that! Do some looking around before you pick your fanfic starter.

^as for a flying type starter, people use Charmander and it evolves into a flying type I think.

I tend to use as many Pokemon as I can in my fics since all of the characters ARE Pokemon. But it does get kinda frustrating when everyone uses the same Pokemon.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Eeveelutions are everywhere. Every character I see has at least one of them. My own included. xD

I don't give regards to what Pokemon are overused when deciding what Pokemon my characters have. I just choose something that fits. If it happens to be overused, then that is completely coincidental.

Last edited:

Scaldaver

Limitless
I think it's a challenge for authors to make 'boring' Pokemon more spectacular, not just stick with the favourites. Every Tom Dick and Harry in Fanfaction has a Charizard or Absol. Having a wider variety of Pokemon make the stories more interesting for everyone. Only go for the cliched ones when it is necessary for your plot line.

Cyn

Eeveelutions are everywhere. Every character I see has at least one of them. My own included. xD

I don't give regards to what Pokemon are overused when deciding what Pokemon my characters have. I just choose something that fits. If it happens to be overused is completely coincidental.

Agreed, same here. However, if it's important to the plot line, I don't see why it's a bad idea, especially if you pair them up with other pokémon characters so they're not necessarily the focus of the story.

Only go for the cliched ones when it is necessary for your plot line.

Beat me to the punch.

Diddy

Renegade
Now if the starter Pokémon was a Legendary, then I would be concerned about the well-being of the story, unless it's for a good reason. But even those kinds of stories are hard to find amongst all the bad stories where a trainer does start with a Legendary for the heck of it.

Destiny Journeys: Healing of Hearts. I don't even know if that's the proper name for it... whatever that thing Mix spewed out was called. Proof that badfics with Legendary starters can be popular. The Main Character started with a Manaphy, I believe.

I'm in the "As long as it's plot relevant and well explained, I don't care what [non-legendary] pokémon is used" camp. What's the point in ignoring things purely because one simple aspect is used? Eevee's don't make Mary Sues, as has been explained many times before in the Author's Café, Sueishness is dependant on the universe the character exists in, not the things that exist within the universe.

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, since you read the Advice for Aspiring Authors argument, you already know my opinion, but in summary, for everyone else:

me said:
Do you generally find human characters unmemorable because every fic ever has a human in it? If it is really a good, interesting character, it doesn't need to also be a different species from everything else to set itself apart; conversely, your flat Pokébot doesn't become more interesting simply by virtue of being a Numel or whatever. If the only reason your reader remembers your Pokémon character is that they've never seen its species in any other fic, that's not the character being memorable.

[...]

Let's take [an] analogy. Most characters in movies by far are traditionally attractive. Of course you can roll your eyes at that. Of course it's cool when there's a character who's genuinely not. But at the same time genuinely interesting characters aren't just automatically less interesting if they're traditionally attractive, unattractive characters are not automatically interesting, and telling screenwriters they ought to make all their characters unattractive if they possibly can is just kind of bizarre - maybe it would in some sense make their films more memorable, sure, but it's just such a strange, trivial thing to latch on to among all the things that genuinely impact the quality of a story.

I really don't think Pokémon species can be clichés. Clichés are bad because if the reader has seen them a million times before, they become predictable and lose their impact. But why on earth should the species of the Pokémon in your story be unpredictable or impactful to begin with? I mean, okay, if you're writing something where the Pokémon species is supposed to be unpredictable or impactful for one reason or another, then yes, it makes sense to tell you not to use Pokémon that are used all the time for that since it means it won't work, but that's really common sense. In most cases there's no need for the species of your Pokémon characters to specifically shock the reader.

I mean, I concede that if your character has a Pokémon team that's utterly unimportant to the point where you could easily swap out one of the species for some other species and nothing would change except what moves get called out in battle, your fic will probably be a bit more memorable if the reader has never seen those Pokémon species in a fic before than if it's a team of all the most overused species... but then you have a much bigger problem on your hands than whether the species of the characters are sufficiently memorable.

Then all of this is separate from when the way the Pokémon is obtained is a cliché or doesn't make any sense, which is a completely different problem. For instance, in my stupid fic the main character just happens to stumble upon a very young abandoned Eevee and takes it to a Pokémon Center where the nurse decides to let him offer to train it the next day. This isn't a problem because it's an Eevee; it's a problem because that's a really stupid chain of events which inspires compulsive eye-rolling in anyone who's read any significant number of trainer fics, and why do Eevee keep getting abandoned anyway when they're really rare and sought-after Pokémon, and why would a nurse given an abandoned and injured Pokémon that's too young to be battling decide the thing to do is to give it to the trainer who brought it in as if he's simply entitled to it and that's more important than the Eevee's wellbeing, and so on and so on. If you do manage to give your trainer an Eevee in a way that makes perfect sense and isn't a huge cliché from beginning to end, there's nothing wrong with the Eevee in itself, but as it turns out most Eevee are obtained in stupid ways.

Note that I'm all for going for lesser-known species when you really could go either way. I'm just annoyed with the idea that a fic with overused Pokémon would somehow automatically be better if it used underused Pokémon instead.

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
It's also worth considering that some pokémon are going to be more popular than others *in the context of the Pokémon World* as well as among writers. Eevee is as much a cute fox-kitten-thing in the Pokéworld as it is in ours, and garchomp is a badass (and powerful) dragon in any context. So one would expect to see a disproportionate number of them among those people who have the means to acquire them, namely any fairly powerful trainer. If your protagonist goes "meh" at that psyduck that pops out of the grass but immediately captures the adorable vulpix or whatever, well, that's understandable. Some pokémon are just going to be more popular than others, and it makes sense for most characters to gather them if they have the opportunity. If they keep getting the opportunity to acquire rare and powerful things, outside what a reasonably competent trainer would have, that's another issue.

This holds especially true for starter pokémon. A starter pokémon is the most important for any trainer, and you can expect your character to want to get it right. If you're not going to have them picking up a standard starter from the lab, then consider how much thought is going to go into picking one out. If it's going to be something where the protagonist's *insert relative here* provides a starter, consider: "Well, what pokémon are we going to pick out for our little darling? A shinx, maybe, or how about a nice trubbish?" "TRUBBISH IT IS!!!" Not so much, I think. Or if it's one of those things where they're given a pokéball and told to go catch something, are they really going to be like, "Well, here's a zubat, guess that kind of works," or are they going to actually look for something that won't lose every battle ever for quite a while?

Popular pokémon are popular for a reason, and there's no reason your character's team shouldn't reflect that.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
The popular Pokemons are mostly (and easily) termed as "over-used", some of the most popular and favourite ones that had been used by many fic writers are now even branded as "cliche". But one should understand, because some Pokemon are popular, they will obviously be used as characters in many people's fanfic. I personally don't think it should be a problem. The problem is not lie within the choice of one or two over-used Pokemon, but to reason and justify your character choice and balance it out with the under-used Pokemon.

Yeah, so just said it simply, I don't have problem with over-used Pokemon, that is just the physical aspects of your character choice. The important things is not about are the Pokemon over-used or under-used, but are they competitive towards battle, are they important to the plot, and mostly important to the reviewers: do they left an impression in your memory after you read the fic?

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
I just use whatever 'mons I want. Sometimes they're the only one that works with what I want to do. I try not to give the Pokemon competitive sets, so I can use stuff like Scizor.

smashlloyd20

I dunno. This seems like the kind of thing that maybe has been blown way out of proportion...I mean yeah, like Dragonfree said, there are certain plot cliches to watch out for. But as for the specific Pokemon you use...go with whatever works best for your plot. That's going to get you the best results either way.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Most of the starters are going to be considered over-used, especially the Gen 1 starters. Making an original Pokemon can sometimes be a Get Out of Jail Free Card in this situation, if you don't overpower it. But keep in mind that if you do that, you tend to need far more description than you would if you were just using canon Pokemon (where you can often get away with only describing it if there is something relevant going on with it).

Also, you'll need to come up with a clever way to explain how the character and that Pokemon meet, and if you don't want the critics to complain about it, you can't just say that the Trainer got it at the Professor's lab (ala Pikachu). But there are so many ways a Trainer can get his or her starter. You don't even NEED to start the Fic with the Professor. You could start it out in the field. Maybe the Trainer doesn't live in the same town as the Professor and has to travel there to get his or her Pokemon license (after all, every Trainer in the world couldn't possibly live in Pallet Town). Maybe something happens, and the Trainer meets his or her first Pokemon that way. Just a few ideas.

The key here is not to overpower the Pokemon. Give it maybe one unique move (two at the very most), but make them balanced. They're not super effective against everything. Maybe one or two Types, max. Then use canon moves that make sense for the Pokemon's Type. And whatever you do, make sure they don't win every battle with said Pokemon. Trainers can have up to 6 Pokemon at a time, and every one of them should win battles at some point (or at least knock out opposing Pokemon). Nobody is going to like a one-hit wonder, and no Pokemon should be unbeatable.

That doesn't mean your Trainer can't win most or all of their battles. Just make it reasonable when you do so. Make it look like they really worked for the victory. If in doubt, you can always leave it to chance. Sometimes, I roll a 20-sided die to determine some things in my Fics.

See, this is what happens when I start talking about over-used Pokemon.

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
I don't have a problem with "overused" Pokemon. People can use whichever Pokemon they feel like using. That's not my problem in the slightest. I'm much more concerned with how people portray the Pokemon than anything. Two things, in particular, are killers for me:

My first problem is when the Pokemon that trainers use have little-to-no personality behind them or have some generic personality that could be described in two sentences and was obviously slapped on as an afterthought. They might as well make a robot in the Pokemon's likeness and have it follow the trainer around. That might even be more interesting than the Pokemon itself; at least it would have an excuse to act like a mindless drone.

My other problem is when the personality doesn't match up with the backstory (such as a Pokemon that was abandoned, neglected, and/or abused being more than willing to trust their new trainer and battle for them. Or how about a wild Pokemon that's recently been caught having no difficulty adjusting to their new life? What about a Pokemon that's never been outside a lab knowing what everything in the real world is like? Or maybe all of the Pokemon on a trainer's team manage to co-exist in a peaceful manner with no in-fighting or bickering or insubordination? Yeah, like that would ever happen in real life).

If I had to choose between a fic where the main character has an entire team of Eeveelutions (so-called "overused" Pokemon) that are lovable, believable characters with solid backstories and a team dynamic and a fic that has Pokemon that aren't widely used, but have no personalities, backstories, or relationships...well, I'm going to choose the former one all the time.

Could a person use different Pokemon? Yeah. Should that be encouraged? Of course. Do they ultimately have to do that? No. Nobody should have to use Pokemon they don't want to use merely because people say that they've been done to death.

Basically, the only thing to worry about when it comes to characters (Pokemon and human alike) is how they interact with each other and drive the plot. I would never fault a person for doing what they want to do in their story.

The too-long/didn't-read part: I agree with the original poster.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I don't have a problem with "overused" Pokemon. People can use whichever Pokemon they feel like using. That's not my problem in the slightest. I'm much more concerned with how people portray the Pokemon than anything. Two things, in particular, are killers for me:

My first problem is when the Pokemon that trainers use have little-to-no personality behind them or have some generic personality that could be described in two sentences and was obviously slapped on as an afterthought. They might as well make a robot in the Pokemon's likeness and have it follow the trainer around. That might even be more interesting than the Pokemon itself; at least it would have an excuse to act like a mindless drone.

My other problem is when the personality doesn't match up with the backstory (such as a Pokemon that was abandoned, neglected, and/or abused being more than willing to trust their new trainer and battle for them. Or how about a wild Pokemon that's recently been caught having no difficulty adjusting to their new life? What about a Pokemon that's never been outside a lab knowing what everything in the real world is like? Or maybe all of the Pokemon on a trainer's team manage to co-exist in a peaceful manner with no in-fighting or bickering or insubordination? Yeah, like that would ever happen in real life).

If I had to choose between a fic where the main character has an entire team of Eeveelutions (so-called "overused" Pokemon) that are lovable, believable characters with solid backstories and a team dynamic and a fic that has Pokemon that aren't widely used, but have no personalities, backstories, or relationships...well, I'm going to choose the former one all the time.

Could a person use different Pokemon? Yeah. Should that be encouraged? Of course. Do they ultimately have to do that? No. Nobody should have to use Pokemon they don't want to use merely because people say that they've been done to death.

Basically, the only thing to worry about when it comes to characters (Pokemon and human alike) is how they interact with each other and drive the plot. I would never fault a person for doing what they want to do in their story.

The too-long/didn't-read part: I agree with the original poster.

I agree with this and what Dragonfree said. It's ultimately not what pokemon you use, but how you use it. It would be nice to have diverse species instead of just Eevee, Charizard, Absol, Pikachu, etc. but it won't make of break a fic (a fic that's likely to do this will probably be bad for other reasons.) It's like adding sprinkles to things. You don't need to do it, but it looks nice. [/weirdest analogy ever]

Estuary

єѕѕ-cнєw-єrry
Haha, I think you were referencing me, Clare. And I stick to my guns! Yes, if there is a plot-important reason that the starter Pokemon needs to be a Charmander, then go for it. But 99% of the time I feel that it just reflects the author's immaturity (I want my trainer to have this super cool/cute Pokemon that everyone in my class likes!!) rather than an intellectual decision.

I'm going to be honest. There are times when I'm a masochist and head on over to ff.net to attempt to look for a nice journey 'fic to read. I've been doing this for nearly a decade, guys. If the main character starts with a Charmander or an Eevee, I'm almost always out of there. Why? Because punishment is an effective learning technique. The amount of bad journey 'fic that features a trainer with an overused Pokemon, versus those that don't, is wildly skewed. I have learned from the pain. I've read the first chapter of probably well over 10,000 journey 'fics throughout many websites, and good lord, I am tired of it.

Any 'fic that starts with an overused or rare Pokemon has to be written really damn well for me to care. Mind you, this only applies to OT 'fics- coincidentally, the only ones I read. As far a Pokemon-centric stories or what-have-you, then go for it!

Wrong ways to give your trainer a damn Charmander or Eevee or Dratini:

- Starting with Charmander WHEN THE TRAINER IS NOT EVEN IN KANTO LOL. What justifies this?

- When your trainer gets a Dratini and everyone else gets either the regular starters or else some beginning bird or bug. It's immature. Though TBH, everyone getting Dratinis and Larvitars is almost as bad, but in a different way (that makes it okay for him to have a Dratini, right!?).

- HEY GUYS SOMEBODY ABANDONED THIS REALLY RARE POKEMON AND IT LOVES ME FOR SOME REASON. (God, this is so bad.)

- And along the same line, but EVEN WORSE:

TRAINER: Nurse Joy, I found this hurt Pokemon!!

NURSE JOY: Oh, no! It must have been abused/in bad weather/had a bad case of the runs! You should take it!

TRAINER: Wha? I don't know how to take care of an injured creature. Doesn't it need proper care and rehabilitation and-

NURSE JOY: NO. It needs love, and only you, TRAINER, can provide that.

TRAINER: ... But that doesn't make any sense. How do you even know I'm a good trainer? For all you know, I could have hurt it! This is a Pokemon Center, and I'm TEN, and I'm sure tons of more experienced trainers would love a rare Pokemon like-

NURSE JOY: I WILL KILL IT IF YOU DON'T TAKE IT.

TRAINER: Okay.

Slightly better ways to give your trainer a damn Charmander or Eevee or Dratini

- What!? Professor/Mom/Stranger in Dark Alley, all you have is a Charmander!? But I wanted a Bulbasaur! I want to be a grass-type gym leader, and I hate reptiles AND fire! UGHH.
At least more interesting, if still stupid. I wonder why I've never seen this?

- HAHA I STOLE AN EEVEE FROM THAT RICH B**** DOWN THE STREET. What? It hates me, and won't fight for me? Crap.
Hey, at least it makes sense and, again, is more interesting.

- ... Thinking of a different way to have Dratini as a starter... erm.. TBA.

These are the reasons that overused Pokemon are not okay. Perhaps to the very experienced and established writer (which I do not claim to be), but otherwise, leave it alone. To reiterate: If there is a reason your character needs to have a specific overused Pokemon, then okay. If not, then... you're a writer, right? Try to be creative, for the sake of those of us who have been reading 'fics since the RBY era?

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Most annoying things about overused/rare Pokemon:

- Starting with Charmander WHEN THE TRAINER IS NOT EVEN IN KANTO LOL. What justifies this?

- When your trainer gets a Dratini and everyone else gets either the regular starters or else some beginning bird or bug. It's immature. Though TBH, everyone getting Dratinis and Larvitars is almost as bad, but in a different way (that makes it okay for him to have a Dratini, right!?).

- When you copy the anime- which isn't very creative to begin with, honestly. Oh no, my starter hates me and attacks me all the time, but comes to love me after some big harrowing event! My Pikachu doesn't want to evolve! I risk my life to save my Pokemon from a flock of angry other-Pokemon! I would use more examples, but I don't watch the show (as it happens, for this exact reason).

- HEY GUYS SOMEBODY ABANDONED THIS REALLY RARE POKEMON AND IT LOVES ME FOR SOME REASON. (God, this is so bad.)

NURSE JOY: Oh, no! It must have been abused/in bad weather/had a bad case of the runs! You should take it!

TRAINER: Wha? I don't know how to take care of an injured creature. Doesn't it need proper care and rehabilitation and-

TRAINER: ... But that doesn't make any sense. How do you even know I'm a good trainer? For all you know, I could have hurt it! This is a Pokemon Center, and I'm TEN, and I'm sure tons of more experienced trainers would love a rare Pokemon like-

All of these things are circumstances around the Pokémon, not inherently related to the Pokémon themselves; calling them the worst things "about overused Pokémon" is really not accurate. Overused Pokémon do get used a lot in these circumstances, yes, but it's still the circumstances that are causing the real problem here, not the Pokémon species - they would not magically be fine and dandy if the Pokémon used were underused, and overused Pokémon don't magically call for these circumstances where underused Pokémon wouldn't. If a writer is inexperienced enough to make those kinds of mistakes, they'd make them no matter what Pokémon they used - and conversely, overused Pokémon in the hands of a writer who knows what they're doing aren't going to automatically lead to these kinds of stupidities.

The amount of bad journey 'fic that features a trainer with an overused Pokemon, versus those that don't, is wildly skewed.
Same thing with this; it's not the overused Pokémon that are making those bad fics bad, it's the inexperience of the writer that's causing both. Correlation is not causation, and pointing to overused Pokémon as inherently a problem in themselves is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:

SilentMemento

Lone Wolf
Haha, I think you were referencing me, Clare. And I stick to my guns! Yes, if there is a plot-important reason that the starter Pokemon needs to be a Charmander, then go for it. But 99% of the time I feel that it just reflects the author's immaturity (I want my trainer to have this super cool/cute Pokemon that everyone in my class likes!!) rather than an intellectual decision.

I'm going to be honest. There are times when I'm a masochist and head on over to ff.net to attempt to look for a nice journey 'fic to read. I've been doing this for nearly a decade, guys. If the main character starts with a Charmander or an Eevee, I'm almost always out of there. Why? Because punishment is an effective learning technique. The amount of bad journey 'fic that features a trainer with an overused Pokemon, versus those that don't, is wildly skewed. I have learned from the pain. I've read the first chapter of probably well over 10,000 journey 'fics throughout many websites, and good lord, I am tired of it.

Any 'fic that starts with an overused or rare Pokemon has to be written really damn well for me to care. Mind you, this only applies to OT 'fics- coincidentally, the only ones I read. As far a Pokemon-centric stories or what-have-you, then go for it!

Most annoying things about overused/rare Pokemon:

- When you copy the anime- which isn't very creative to begin with, honestly. Oh no, my starter hates me and attacks me all the time, but comes to love me after some big harrowing event! My Pikachu doesn't want to evolve! I risk my life to save my Pokemon from a flock of angry other-Pokemon! I would use more examples, but I don't watch the show (as it happens, for this exact reason).

These are the reasons that overused Pokemon are not okay. Perhaps to the very experienced and established writer (which I do not claim to be), but otherwise, leave it alone. To reiterate: If there is a reason your character needs to have a specific overused Pokemon, then okay. If not, then... you're a writer, right? Try to be creative, for the sake of those of us who have been reading 'fics since the RBY era?

While I agree with your sentiment that people should try to be a little more creative, the things you mentioned have much more to do with poor characterization and unoriginal plots than the Pokemon themselves. The exact same things have happened in fics that don't have overused or rare Pokemon. It has a lot more to do with the author than the Pokemon or its popularity.

So, yeah, I agree with Dragonfree.

Last edited: