• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overall, did you enjoy Dawn's journey as a Coordinator?

Did You Enjoy Dawn's Character Development in DP?

• Absolutely Yes

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Hell No

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • I did, but May's journey more

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • I hate coordinators in general

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

J-boogie200

Hey guys, I haven't been here for a minute, simply because Bulbagarden had me hooked with its speed! :p

I was wondering what you thought of Dawn's character development as a coordinator now that DP is almost over.

I'm not insisting Dawn's leaving or anything, but I asked because I personally loved her development!

Dawn didn't have it easy, and on her journey, we got to see growth.

Dawn's path was rocky, and she always fought hard and never gave up, which is probably why I love her so much!

She's a Contest Queen in my book, I loved May, but Dawn really gave it to me development and entertainment wise!

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
To be honest I liked it but it seemed a bit too Ash-y.

Dawn's Sinnoh Journey > Jessie's Sinnoh Journey > May's Kanto Journey > May's Hoenn Journey.

Dawn got too depressed too much. Alll the pokeon on her team debuted with a certain characteristic that was overlooked later to soem extent.

Piplup's Arrogance.
Buneary's Love for Pikachu.
Pachirisu's Hyperactive Nature.
Buizel's Strength
Ambipom's love of contests.
Mamoswine's Hunger.
Cyndaquil's Rivalry w/ Piplup.
Togekiss' gracefulness.

STICKTOPIA

I did, but May's journey more.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Shouldn't this have been made after the Sinnoh Grand Festival ends?

But I guess, technically, so far I enjoyed her development, her's was more realistic then May's journey ever was and will ever be.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This brings me back to the early 2007, when DP began in the US, since I started watching the new series. I practically have enjoyed watching Dawn's Contest Journey, but Im sad it's coming to an end in Japan soon. Just a bit more for the US still. Im gonna miss Dawn though, she's been a pretty great character.

Dax

Legend
So I far I have enjoyed it more than any other journey. For some reason she slowly became my favorite character of Pokemon.

PePer

I enjoyed it very much, way better than May's (as for me), there was/is no part that I
disliked about her story. I'm sad it's coming to an end because she is my favorite, character hopefully a decent end, as many ppl expect her departure. I will miss Piplup most yo, honestly.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I did, but I liked May's contest journey better. I think it was because (even though Dawn's was more realistic) May started off not even knowing what she was going to do or be (XD she didn't even LIKE Pokemon) then she amounted to something in the end (though not Top Coordinator lol). To be honest I kinda of annoyed at Dawn when she became depressed and skipped the contests.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
No, I hate Dawn. I much preferred May, easily, especially when contests were brand new, and May wasn't a f*cking idiot.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It was alright.

The worst part about it was the overuse of Piplup, and the boring poorly-done rivalries. Contests themselves have also become stale, to the point where it feels like we've seen way too many of them.

I felt no sense of excitement following the Dawn/Zoey rivalry at all. Even though Dawn is about to beat her, I honestly don't care. Kenny was a joke and Nando barely appeared. Urusla was great, even though she gets beaten 3 times in a row.

Keeping Dawn in the same pink dress for the regular contests was a horrible idea. How awful was it that the main girl has to wear a dress to battle? And even worse, the pink dress was horrendous. It was fine for one contest, otherwise I couldn't stand looking at it.

So overall it was a good arc, but some parts of it were downright insulting. Awful character interaction most of the time made me wonder what the hell happened.

I cared far more for Ash's story in DP. Sometimes I wonder if Contests are on their way out due to their waning popularity.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Yeah, Dawn vs Zoey wasnt really picked up on enough.....whereas when Ash has been hunting down gary and Paul, ive waited on the edge of my seat for those confrontations, considering the big match is against Zoey....well.....

But overall it was a decent journey for her. I just found it unappealing in her appearance that she was so needy for makeup and hairbrush at the camera...dunno.....that personality in a supposed 10-yr old made me dislike her, and then there was Piplup so....

The simple fact that May rose from disliking Pokemon to an actual good trainer makes me prefer her story more though, maybe more than even Misty's bickering with Ash.

Torpoleon

Yes, I liked Dawn's journey as a co ordinater a lot. I can tell the writers put a lot of time into it because of all the character development Dawn & her Pokemon have gotten since DP001.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
I find the contests incredibly dull.

They're kinda like figure skating in our world, except the score for what you do is completely random and sheerly deduced by plot.

Sports judged like that are bad in reality, but in a show where they don't really bother to do a real point basis...

Horrible. If this is the last season with contests, good riddance, I say.

As such, I can hardly say I enjoyed it, though I appreciated the higher realism in comparison to May.

I personally like Misty the most of the "main" girls. Probably more due to the lack of contests than personality, really.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
It was okay I guess. May's contest arc was definitely better, even factoring in the fact that she got extra time for it.

My major problem with Dawn's contest arc is that her rivals are, to put it lightly, incredibly boring aside from Ursula(who was introduced far, far too late). Zoey didn't really catch my attention outside of the Snowpoint eps she appeared in, Nando doesn't really count as a rival since the writers never did anything with him until the GF, and Kenny...poor poor overshadowed full-of-wasted-potential Kenny. The boring rivals are obviously a problem, since a)we see them a lot and b)DP had practically no one-shot contest rivals(unlike AG, where we saw them quite a lot). And I demand some character drama to keep me away through countless ice appeals and repeated neglect of Pachirisu and Buneary, you know?

Oh, what about Jessie, you say? She got so far and grew so much in DP that I'm halfway tempted to call DP contests her story instead of Dawn's. When DP started, would anyone have guessed that she would have legitmately made it to the Grand Festival? Nope. And yet she got there, and she's consistantly had some of the more interesting character moments and unique appeals out of anyone in the DP contest arc. Despite that, I still never seem to group her with Dawn's rivals for some reason. Probably because you get the sense that although the writers let Jessie get amazingly far, she'll never be allowed to outshine Dawn's main rivals, and certainly not Dawn herself.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I think me, I preferred her over May, because May was introduced straight after Misty left, and back then we were not used to the female character getting replaced, and then we were introduced to Contests, which to ME, I thought that was a bit girly for the show.

But with Dawn, I'm a bit more laid back now, I enjoy her development. She loses her first, or second Contest, then she goes into a depressive state seen in early-mid Battle Dimension, then she gets all fired up with a positive attitude.

To answer the question, yeah, I like her journey as a coordinator.

HoennMaster

I loved it. Dawn's journey is way better then May's in every way other then rivals. May hated Pokémon and then magically became a Coordinator Goddess. She barely had to struggle with anything and it did get annoying. Watching someone always winning got annoying.

Meanwhile, Dawn has had to struggles, with appeals, double performances, battles, combos, everything. Her journey was so much more realistic that it made the losses ok.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I think Dawn losing a few contests parallels almost that of the fact that Ash has had to have at least TWO attempts at nearly every Sinnoh gym.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I loved Dawn's journey & the fact that she was treated like Ash's equal & not just some distraction from the main thing with the gyms.She actually practiced alot on appeals,combinations & overall,she did a much better job than May.
I'm not that happy that she'll get replaced,I want to see more of Togekiss but hey...maybe the new girl will be just as interesting or more.

I liked Jessie's development too...she was actually treated like a serious coordinator.I hope we'll see more of her

BlueDragonfangirl

I like Dawn's character alright and enjoyed her character development.
However, I do have to say that I enjoyed May's more.
May started off wanting as not knowing what she wanted to do, she was into gyms cuz of her father. But as she saw her first contest, she fell in love with them. Than we saw her as the nervous/not knowing what to do in them May. But she grew, she even beat Drew if I recall. Her rivalry with Drew and Harley helped a lot too, they kept her contests intresting. Dawn, while I liked it but her rivals were so dull, I'm intrested in who will win between Zoey and Dawn, but I'm not on the edge of my seat like I am with Ash and Paul.

Master TF

I think her journey was great she did not make it past the first stage twice and she got her confidence back and came back stronger unlike May who always made it past the first stage.

Last edited: