• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overbearing Parents

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
What do you guys think about overbearing parents? I'm talking about parents who are constantly or frequently trying to control their kids every move. Parents who tell their children who to eat, act, play, etc. I don't believe that its wrong for a parent to guide their children and show them whats right. But it does seem to be a little much when parents are constantly scrutinizing their children. I personally have never grown up in a household that is overbearing. But I have heard others say that controlling parents can cause psychological damage to their children later in life.

Thoughts?

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Too much security leads to paranoia, too much control leads to lack of self control, some people do not know how to be parents. But I guess overbearing parents work for some people I won't say it's a 100% bad thing.

Dattebayo

Banned
No matter how you raise your kids, whether it's being overprotective or abusive, they'll still grow up to be failures and become rebellious against the world.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
No matter how you raise your kids, whether it's being overprotective or abusive, they'll still grow up to be failures and become rebellious against the world.

That's only if they take all their life lessons from the internet.

Empoleon Bonaparte

I think it's good we have people like that. *coughamericansoccermomscough*
Makes me feel better when I realise that's not how I was raised nor how I will raise my children.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Parents of this nature are usually ones in the upper class. Although there are a couple of parents who are still like this in average families.

Overprotection is definitely better than not caring at all, but from the results I've seen, when the child leaves home they tend to be more extreme in freedoms (parties, wild sex, alcohol habits, etc) than children who weren't as sheltered.

Their hearts are in the right place, but their methods of teaching are going about it the wrong way.

It's important to care for our kids by teaching them how to fend for themselves, not by doing everything for them.

Don't Eat and Debate

Parents who tell their children who to eat
Parents who tell their children who to eat? I'm going to have to take a jab at Dattebayo here and say "Population control rocks!" Sarcasm FTW.

Thoughts?
You see, some people on this board might not have any thoughts of their own because of their overbearing parents who tell them who to eat.

I love the Debate Forum.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I think overbearing parents are people who don't have enough control over themselves, so they try to control their children every chance they get. Really a shame. Especially when the kid is disabled, then the poor kid is trapped with their impatient parent all the time. I saw that at Children's Hospital a lot.

There's a good and a bad overbearing parent, though. Good ones make sure their kid doesn't get into trouble, gets into a good college, and makes sure they find a job and make a life for themselves. Bad overbearing parents constantly tear at the relationship with their kids until they escape and then go wild and then reject any rule or authority figure in their life.

Also, bad overbearing parents tell their kids who to eat. After a certain point, kids should have the freedom to decide who they eat, and when they eat them, thank you very much.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Well depending on views, some parents are to busy to devote time for their family, so they try to be their kid's best friend, and get them whatever they want, and overeact to any trouble issues. If you're not going to devote time to your family don't start one.

Their hearts are in the right place, but their methods of teaching are going about it the wrong way.

It's important to care for our kids by teaching them how to fend for themselves, not by doing everything for them.
I agree with this.

I think this is another argument of the extremes, where it's better to be in the middle ground (taking interest and making sure they're on the right path, but giving them space and freedom).

If I'm completely honest, I feel that if I were to go into parenthood, I may end up as an overbearing parent. But my interest would only be so my child becomes the best that they can be, and that I need to do everything I can to help them do that.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
My parents used to try to tell me who to eat, until I'd had enough of it and ate them instead.

I don't agree overbearing parents purely because I was pretty sheltered until about a year ago, had (until I ate her) a somewhat overbearing mother myself and have a friend with horrendously overbearing parents which gets frustrating even for me. All my parental troubles ended when I ate them, of course, so I wonder if I should advise her to do the same.

Last edited:

Profesco

gone gently
You'd think jokes about a simple grammatical error would lose their shine about two- or three-deep, but these are all pretty funny replies. XD

Anyway, parenting methods have been studied excessively already. We know what works and what doesn't, and when there are grounds for exceptions. Leaning too hard in any one direction never produces the best results.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer

>Implying that every child grows up to be a failure of an adult and a rebel.

There's a good and a bad overbearing parent, though. Good ones make sure their kid doesn't get into trouble, gets into a good college, and makes sure they find a job and make a life for themselves. Bad overbearing parents constantly tear at the relationship with their kids until they escape and then go wild and then reject any rule or authority figure in their life.

Using these definitions I feel like I had a good overbearing parent. My family always pushed me to be good at school, which wasn't hard because it took little effort. Nowadays I wish I was able to be pushed harder as I'm struggling, but I wouldn't blame my parents on that, more on my bad work ethic.

Bad overbearing parents aren't good because it causes kids to rebel (my brother felt like my parents were overbearing in a bad way and rebelled), but a non-existent parent is even worse (no role model is never good). So I feel like having some presence in a kid's life is great, but you can't be so overbearing that they'll come to hate you. Just lay the law and say what should be done, although it starts to become a difficult balance.

This has me thinking about being a parent, which is a little scary. Can't wait to show my Kids Generation X of Pokemon though and take them on.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Sorry about that, everybody. I'm not the best at proofreading my posts I guess. It should say, "Parents who tell their children How to eat. Guess it makes for some good humor though.

I hope somebody sigs that comment

Last edited:

skeeter13