• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overcome Decidueye!! (1075)

dman_dustin

.... Why is Ash using a Rowlett against its fully evolved version? This is stupid, if he wins I'll hate it and if he loses I'll be annoyed from his stupidity.

Please don't be like the characters in the anime.

Type wise, Rowlet does have an advantage over Decidueye. Don't know why everyone is acting like Decidueye didn't lose its flying type to ghost and that Rowlet isn't a flying type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kinger556 said:
.... Why is Ash using a Rowlett against its fully evolved version? This is stupid, if he wins I'll hate it and if he loses I'll be annoyed from his stupidity.

He's actually being quite clever since Mokuroh technically has an advantage against Junaiper as far as typing goes, which isn't always something that Satoshi relies on, but it might actually come in handy now.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not gonna lie, I legitimately forgot Ash also used Continental Crush to counter Black Hole Eclipse when Nanu mentioned it in the Gladion/James fight.

Also [Ninja Master] Rowletueye, best Rowlet.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Sorry I'm late. Wasn't feeling too well yesterday.

Gladion vs James. I'm not gonna feel let down that the match was mostly skipped over. That was inevitable with this tournament structure, and it's not like anyone seriously thought James was going to win, right?

Still, James stood up to Jessie last time and she ended up admitting her mistake (even if she didn't say it outright). Good Team Rocket family dynamics.

Ash continues to be a good boy, believing in Rowlet when the others didn't. Though admittedly, Kiawe and the others did have a point.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash continues to be a good boy, believing in Rowlet when the others didn't. Though admittedly, Kiawe and the others did have a point.

yet none of them seem to realize that fully evolved or not, rowlet does have type advantage over Decidueye due to it's flying hybrid status.

no other starter to date has had that factor, yes it's possible for someone to beat their evolved form, but Rowlet gets to have an easier time doing it then any other currently known starter ever will.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Hahahahahaha
KvKRw6b.jpg

9k2P9Lc.jpg

Rowlet ate that entire Z-Move

Rowlet isn't holding the Grass-Z though - Ash is
No I thought Rowlet was holding the Z Ring :0

I said technically because in the games the Z Crystal is held by the Pokèmon so it’d be impossible for this to happen in game.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
yet none of them seem to realize that fully evolved or not, rowlet does have type advantage over Decidueye due to it's flying hybrid status.

no other starter to date has had that factor, yes it's possible for someone to beat their evolved form, but Rowlet gets to have an easier time doing it then any other currently known starter ever will.

Type advantages only mean so much. Also, I should note that while Rowlet did win its previous battle with Decidueye (as a Dartrix), it only did so because of a well-timed Bloom Doom. Not only is that not an option now, its opponent has evolved while Rowlet hasn't.

There is a legitimate cause for concern.

Though in all honesty, Rowlet was probably the better choice since it can, y'know, fly.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Type advantages only mean so much. Also, I should note that while Rowlet did win its previous battle with Decidueye (as a Dartrix), it only did so because of a well-timed Bloom Doom. Not only is that not an option now, its opponent has evolved while Rowlet hasn't.

There is a legitimate cause for concern.

strategy also plays a factor too, as long as ash uses rowlet in an effective way it's fine.

Again if this was any other starter, then yeah it'd be too much of a stretch, but Rowlet's an oddity that can get away with breaking conventional rules.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
'Cause he believes in his team full of babies.

Or he's that stubborn.
Remind me again why the anime went back to this after Kalos gave him one of his best teams in the series. Ash’s rivals get to have some nice looking teams yet with Ash, every time it seems he’s moved beyond plushies, they throw that right back in again.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Remind me again why the anime went back to this after Kalos gave him one of his best teams in the series. Ash’s rivals get to have some nice looking teams yet with Ash, every time it seems he’s moved beyond plushies, they throw that right back in again.
"Best team" is pretty arguable. His Noivern and Goodra did NOT age well and were jobbers (and they're supposed to be one of the best dragons in the games...), but his birds did more than them, but with mixed results.

Pikachu and his Greninja did more work than all of them.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
"Best team" is pretty arguable. His Noivern and Goodra did NOT age well and were jobbers (and they're supposed to be one of the best dragons in the games...), but his birds did more than them.
Well I did say one of his best teams. Even if 2 members didn’t age well, it’s still better than his BW and SM teams being right up there with Battle Frontier and Sinnoh.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Fun facts: by BST, the strongest team Ash has ever faced is Sawyer (3400), and the greatest disparity of BST between him and his opponents:

-228 (v. Alain)
-306 (v. Sawyer)
-307 (v. Paul @ Sinnoh League)
-322 (v. Champion Drake)
-481 (v. Tyson)
-493 (v. Cameron)
-645 (v. Paul @ Lake Acuity)
-833 (v. Cameron/Watchog)

Ash was really lucky that Sawyer misplayed with Aegislash, especially once Talonflame was gone.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
How is the strength of Ash's team relative to his other teams remotely relevant? He's not battling himself from the past, nor does he have the same opponents.

Anyway, this episode is great and I like it a lot. So much character. Good showing for James and Mareanie. And I like how Gladion countered Black Hole Eclipse in the same way Ash did before, to further denote the similarities in their battle styles which already started in the Poni arc. I also like Ash picking Rowlet over Torracat. Torracat would have been a better choice as a type, but Rowlet has the motivation advantage and it's one of the things this series does so much better than Kalos. Ash doesn't battle just to win even though he can get fired up over that with Kiawe in excitement, he battles for his pokémon and to help his pokémon grow and get stronger. He knows that Torracat would have a better type matchup, and he also knows that Torracat probably would have a higher chance of beating Decidueye, but he still picks Rowlet because this battle is important for Rowlet and it is a great opportunity for Rowlet to really grow. Torracat will get its turn against Masked Royal's Incineroar, and it will be picked over Lycanroc there for the same reason Rowlet is picked here, because it would be cruel of Ash to deny those battles from his pokémon when they're so important to them.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
It matters because Ash's Alola team is basically unproven - the entire team has fewer battles combined than Ash's Corphish. The evolutions and powerful moves don't align with perception of growth. So I feel there's a general sentiment that his Alola team doesn't deserve to win because they're weak and unproven.

Apparently, the idea of an unproven Rowlet defeating a fully-evolved Decidueye armed with a Z-Move is nails on a chalkboard to some people. It's true, no Pokemon has ever overcome a two stage evolution gap before, but this is something of a special case where Decidueye is more vulnerable and easier to exploit than the Dartrix stage.