• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overhyped Anime

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
Which is exactly why I'm afraid to give Steins;Gate a try, It being the other God of 2011 and all. Being from a Visual Novel made by Nitroplus is fine as long as Urobochi and Shinbo aren't involved.
Wait, are you seriously hesitating on Steins;Gate... because a lot of people think it's really, really good? It looks like you're saying that being well-received is a bad thing for an anime...

Anyway, Lovely Complex is one that I see a lot of positive things about. Sure, it was reasonably good, but the female lead got on my nerves after a while, and the side characters were some of the most one-dimensional I've ever seen.

I also found Fate/Zero to be overhyped - again, I thought it was decent, but I didn't like the amount of exposition, or the fact that every conflict seemed to just be a show of power with no resolution, and I thought the cast size was too big.

matt0044

The last show that was hyped up to me as much as Brotherhood was Ouran Host Club, and I hate Ouran Host Club, so I'm a bit hesitant thinking I'm going to be let down. The chances are I will like it since I liked he first series, I just can't get over this feeling that it's going to be a major let down.

FMA:B is based on the original Manga more than the first Anime. Chances are that you might like it with that in mind.

You know, I have to ask: are there any Anime at all the live up to the hype they're given?

Also, I'm starting to see that popularity is a blessing and a curse: you get fans who love you and haters that want to see you die. Same for unpopularity: it's better than being overrated but you might not last long given your low recognition. There's no middle ground and it's a constant conundrum in the world of entertainment.

*sigh* Why can't we just get along?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Yeah, that's like saying Gundam is overhyped if you don't like mecha, or Initial D is overhyped if you don't like cars.

Well yeah if you don't like the genre your probably not gonna like it. That goes for all anime. Regardless of how good Clannad may be, it's not gonna appeal to causal anime fans who only like DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.(Just an example.) It doesn't mean it's overhyped.

Well I'm going to have to agree with these two guys here. I think you you're going say that something is overhyped at least try to watch it, or part of it first. I do agree that Clannad may be a tad overrated by fans(I found Kanon06 just as good) but it's still a legit good show with great animation and characters. If I think something is overrated I can at least name something I don't about it. Like Haruhi, she's a straight douche, she should of got decked in the second season.

RLinksoul

It looks like you're saying that being well-received is a bad thing for an anime...

Well received is one thing. Overblown like the End-all of anime is another. Madoka Magica got the same treatment and I really didn't like it, so I'm thinking either my taste in anime sucks or I need to let the hype die down so I can lower my expectations.

matt0044

Why does anything get overblown? Can people be calm in saying that they like something and not hype it up? Don't get me wrong, I understand that we can all get excited for anything that really appeals to us. I do the same with any Anime I truly like such as with Dragon Ball Z Kai, Robotech and such so I'm guilty of it. But couldn't we cool down and maybe try to justify why we love an Anime or any show before making an incredibly bold statement like "DIS IZ DA BEST ANEMAY EVA!!!!!111!!!!!1"?

But then again, we're all different in what we like, love or just plain adore. And we're all free to say what we like or dislike so long as we don't put others down in the process. I think disregarding all that is the reason for all this "hype" controversies.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Wait, are you seriously hesitating on Steins;Gate... because a lot of people think it's really, really good? It looks like you're saying that being well-received is a bad thing for an anime...
Jolteon's essentially doing the same thing with FMA:B <_<
Why does anything get overblown? Can people be calm in saying that they like something and not hype it up? Don't get me wrong, I understand that we can all get excited for anything that really appeals to us. I do the same with any Anime I truly like such as with Dragon Ball Z Kai, Robotech and such so I'm guilty of it. But couldn't we cool down and maybe try to justify why we love an Anime or any show before making an incredibly bold statement like "DIS IZ DA BEST ANEMAY EVA!!!!!111!!!!!1"?

But then again, we're all different in what we like, love or just plain adore. And we're all free to say what we like or dislike so long as we don't put others down in the process. I think disregarding all that is the reason for all this "hype" controversies.

I tend to hype anime. More than I should. I get really excited if I find a show reeeeeally good and that's just what happens.

Code Geass is pretty overhyped if you don't like the mech aspect or the characters.

You mean... mech anime don't live up to the hype for people who don't like mechs? WHAT IS THIS?

Another one is One Piece, people talk it up like god's gift to long running shounen when deep down inside they all know Gintama is infinitely better.

Ah, but we all know that Hunter x Hunter is the best of all (the long running shounens).

I thought FMA:B lived up to the hype, or at least what I've been exposed to.

Yeah, I'll get back to that someday. When I've finished the original.

Watching Brotherhood with no prior knowledge of the franchise is a terrible idea, I don't mind telling you.

Which is exactly why I'm afraid to give Steins;Gate a try, It being the other God of 2011 and all. Being from a Visual Novel made by Nitroplus is fine as long as Urobochi and Shinbo aren't involved.

Look, the main character is a crazy guy who runs around in a lab coat, laughing his head off, talking about conspiracies created by 'The Organisation' and claiming to be a MAD SCIENTIST! And has the voice of God himself. Now, are you in or not?

And don't get me started on Tokyo Mew Mew..

Wut? When did Tokyo Mew Mew start getting overhyped? If anything it's criminally underrated.

Like Haruhi, she's a straight douche, she should of got decked in the second season.

Heh. The central character being such a monster is part of what makes Haruhi Suzumiya so entertaining, I think. Why do you think Death Note is so popular?

matt0044

So... if Anime that are very well-recieved are bad, then Anime that are ill-received are good. In that case, I'm going to watch Gundam Seed Destiny. I know that it'll be a blast!

As for Haruhi being a *****, that's pretty much the point. Kyon and the others have to deal with Haruhi's shenanigans since she's basically God and can probably get away with anything. Her being a total lunatic just ups the ante. Plus, the show acknowledges (via Kyon) that she's a total *****.

Last edited:
Please tell me you're joking.

Did you never see Harihee Suzumiyo? It was an alternate-universe spin-off featuring dark, twisted versions of the main show's characters (e.g. Harihee is a caring, philanphropic sort of person). I recall that it wasn't very well received by the fanbase, though, so I'm not sure if it can be called 'overhyped'.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Did you never see Harihee Suzumiyo? It was an alternate-universe spin-off featuring dark, twisted versions of the main show's characters (e.g. Harihee is a caring, philanphropic sort of person). I recall that it wasn't very well received by the fanbase, though, so I'm not sure if it can be called 'overhyped'.

No, I can't say I have.

Mankanshoku Mako

Can anime hyped up to be bad count? If so, Eiken was pretty underwelming when I went to watch it for the first time because of my extremly high expectations for suck not being met.

RLinksoul

Kodomo no Jikan is an example of an anime hyped up to be bad. It's supposedly got a good story in there somewhere, but the main character's behavior (and even more icky content in the manga) make it hard for people to wanna watch/read that series.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Ah, but we all know that Hunter x Hunter is the best of all (the long running shounens).

Gintama is obviously better than HungerxHunger.

Kodomo no Jikan is an example of an anime hyped up to be bad. It's supposedly got a good story in there somewhere, but the main character's behavior (and even more icky content in the manga) make it hard for people to wanna watch/read that series.

Rin being Rin is the whole reason I wanted to watch Kodomo no Jikan, and it turned out to be pretty awesome.

Last edited: