• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overhyped Anime

Mankanshoku Mako

Kodomo no Jikan is an example of an anime hyped up to be bad. It's supposedly got a good story in there somewhere, but the main character's behavior (and even more icky content in the manga) make it hard for people to wanna watch/read that series.

That anime too. I sorely dissapointed when I watched Kodomo no Jikan and it wasn't half as depraved or disgusting as most discussions of the series would have you think. I think I even sent a JB#s a pm saying that it didn't deserve it's reputation. The fanservice was no more extreme than anything you'd find in an average harem series(infact, there's probably more explict scenes involving "the token loli" character in some echii shows out there).

Chris

Old Coot
lol @ DBZ complaints solely based on length. They made Kai for a reason, folks. The manga is also more to the point than the anime. Especially bad if your only experience with the series was the awful English dub of Z.

Angel Beats was supposed to be groundbreaking based solely on the names behind the project and it wasn't even on par with the other Big 3 Key works.

Angel Beats suffered from being way too short, 26 episodes would have given more room to explore the backstories of the rest of the cast but no such luck, hopefully the VN adaption that is apparently going to happen will fill in tge blanks the anime couldn't cover due to it's length.
Angel Beats was going in the right direction...until the completely out of nowhere enemies started to show up. Then the anime started to rush the hell out of everything. That's what ultimately hurt it.

This is because the main character isn't the standard scared of women douche.
Actually, it's also because he doesn't fall into the typical trap of similar series' shooting for an incest end, when he's really just trying to be a good big brother.

Who cares about Kyousuke anyway? It's all about Kuroneko and Kirino.
Nope.avi

That feel when the anime will never go beyond the second season, giving her a slightly bigger role.

Gonna get a lot of heat for this but Clannad. Unless slice of life is your thing, its very overhyped by its fans.
No, I sorta agree. I went into Clannad after all the hype surrounding it. I honestly felt nothing. Probably because I didn't like Nagisa at all. Her character was just soooo god damn boring. We had so many different characters introduced, and the absolute boring girl was chosen as the love interest. The After Story also felt dumb as hell mainly because the concept behind its True Ending path really only works for VNs/games, not an anime supposedly set in the real world (though Fuuka was already kinda pushing it).

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
I love it a lot, but One Piece is definitely overhyped. It's not the greatest thing ever nor is Oda a godly mangaka.

I guess any insanely popular long runner is overhyped...

People I know were calling Puella Magi Madoka Magica overrated, but I disagree

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I personally don't understand the appeal in Bleach either.

I was in for the first two arcs, then decided to GTFO.

IDK. I just got bored.

It hurt itself in confusion!

I think it was on Rapture a few years ago. I stumbled across it one night but I couldn't really get into it. I'm sure it's a great series if you have the patience to wait for the network to cycle back to the first episode so you can enjoy it from the begining, but I don't.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I think it was on Rapture a few years ago. I stumbled across it one night but I couldn't really get into it. I'm sure it's a great series if you have the patience to wait for the network to cycle back to the first episode so you can enjoy it from the begining, but I don't.
...I still can't comprehend what you're saying.

Autis-misc

Abridger
Bleach? ....what's a Bleach?

I read the first post. Evangelion was a horrible anime. end.

I'm not describing anything else.

matt0044

Okay, seriously! We NEED more Anime that use good stories, characters and plots more as selling points. And by "good characters," I mean protagonists and antagonists that are well-characterized, NOT well-sexualized and well-developed NOT in the sense of their physical appearance! Also by "good story," I DON'T mean randomly contrived sexual scenes that are making a failed attempted at humor which serves jacks**t to the so-called "story."

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Bleach? ....what's a Bleach?

I read the first post. Evangelion was a horrible anime. end.

I'm not describing anything else.

You kinda suck at the whole "Evangelion sucks" thing.

Okay, seriously! We NEED more Anime that use good stories, characters and plots more as selling points. And by "good characters," I mean protagonists and antagonists that are well-characterized, NOT well-sexualized and well-developed NOT in the sense of their physical appearance! Also by "good story," I DON'T mean randomly contrived sexual scenes that are making a failed attempted at humor which serves jacks**t to the so-called "story."

titties

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Actually, it's also because he doesn't fall into the typical trap of similar series' shooting for an incest end, when he's really just trying to be a good big brother.

This actually makes me want to watch Ore no Imouto considering all the doujinshi I've usually seen go for the incest end or a threesome. I find it interesting that the actual series avoids the trap while fans happily jump into it.

Does that mean FLCL's overhyped? Because with his comment, it seems like it (I doubt it is).

Didn't it used to be way back during the Toonami days? I remember loads of people saying how great and complex FLCL was.