• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Creyk

Pokemon like (whether they're current or future ones), and also including, Dunsparce and Magikarp are over-hyped and overrated.

In Magikarps case, I really don't seem to understand why people glorify it so much. Is the fact that it's weak and useless what people like so much about it? Or is this just another typical thing the internet does? Basically over-glorifying something the more dumb it is?

In Dunsparce's case, well i've said this already but I'll say it again (In this very thread, I believe). It's mostly the fact that some people want to see this thing get a Mega right off the bat. I've adopted the mindset that it would benefit from a normal evolution over a Mega any day. Not that I would be 100% against a hypothetical future mega for it, if it got one.

You just don't seem to understand the alluring charm of the triumph of the underdog.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Pokemon like (whether they're current or future ones), and also including, Dunsparce and Magikarp are over-hyped and overrated.

In Magikarps case, I really don't seem to understand why people glorify it so much. Is the fact that it's weak and useless what people like so much about it? Or is this just another typical thing the internet does? Basically over-glorifying something the more dumb it is?

In Dunsparce's case, well i've said this already but I'll say it again (In this very thread, I believe). It's mostly the fact that some people want to see this thing get a Mega right off the bat. I've adopted the mindset that it would benefit from a normal evolution over a Mega any day. Not that I would be 100% against a hypothetical future mega for it, if it got one.

Maybe the love for Magikarp has something to do with the anime? I know some people like a certain Pokemon because of the anime. Plus it's fun to make memes about it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Not really. The battle subway/maison are supposed to be replicas of the battle tower, hence why they lack the variety of the battle frontier.

The Battle Frontier was more fun imo. It had various battling mechanics that no other Battle 'whatever' would have, except for Battle Frontier facilities. The Battle Frontier was simply an extension of the Battle Tower.

KillerDraco

The Battle Frontier is the epitome of overhyped. Most of the modes were either too heavily luck based, or outright cumbersome and really not fun at all. It seems like people complain about its absence in OR/AS more than they actually praised its inclusion in Emerald. That's a pretty textbook definition of Nostalgia Goggles to me.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The other thing that makes me think that the Battle Maison is overhyped is that there's high goals to obtain Berries despite a lot of hax happening there and lack of online multiplayer options with the Battle Maison, unlike the Gen 4 Battle Tower/Frontier and the Battle Subway.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
to be honest, the event pkmn are under the overhyped category. sure they're only available by being at a certain event on a particular day or know someone who was there. legendary pkmn are what they are but legendary events are just big gimmicks IMO. im not a big fan of legendaries but there are some that i do like for the design and some happen to be events ie Shaymin. there are some pkmn i just dont care much about too, hoopa (got a hacked WT one) or volcanion (dont have) to name 2 of them. i dont particularly see much point in gathering event pkmn to begin with unless i plan to use certain ones at times.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
The Battle Frontier is the epitome of overhyped. Most of the modes were either too heavily luck based, or outright cumbersome and really not fun at all. It seems like people complain about its absence in OR/AS more than they actually praised its inclusion in Emerald. That's a pretty textbook definition of Nostalgia Goggles to me.

I have to at least partially, agree with you. Most people hating on ORAS for the lack of a Battle Frontier were only gonna use the Tower and the Factory at the most, leaving all other Facilities pretty much untouched. So, why would GF bother making the Frontier at all? They are not stupid, they know what most people do... Complain about something not being in the games, even if they are not really going to use it anyway. Nostalgia goggles, as you say.

PD Personally, I would have used Tower, Dome, Pike, Arena, and maybe Factory. Thats four or five out of seven. But Im in the minority, most fans only complain for it due to nostalgia. If it was in the game, they would quickly forget about it.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Lucario. Lots of love, merchandise, available as a Smash Bros. playable character and gets a Mega Evolution.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
to be honest, the event pkmn are under the overhyped category. sure they're only available by being at a certain event on a particular day or know someone who was there. legendary pkmn are what they are but legendary events are just big gimmicks IMO. im not a big fan of legendaries but there are some that i do like for the design and some happen to be events ie Shaymin. there are some pkmn i just dont care much about too, hoopa (got a hacked WT one) or volcanion (dont have) to name 2 of them. i dont particularly see much point in gathering event pkmn to begin with unless i plan to use certain ones at times.

I'm not really sure what makes event Pokemon overrated though. Most people just seem to want them for collecting purposes, which is harmless in my view. They're mostly just novelties. :x

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I'm not really sure what makes event Pokemon overrated though. Most people just seem to want them for collecting purposes, which is harmless in my view. They're mostly just novelties. :x

then i could be considered a 1%er unless i plan to use one in battle. otherwise i have no interest in them. they are harmless but the novelty factor is what makes me dislike them. its also the legendary factor that puts the hype into it. i dont really get into the habit of using legendaries. i'd use some for their typing advantages or design but otherwise leave them alone.

a red cherish ball is pretty much for appearance purposes aside from a few exceptions ie luxury ball, love ball etc. it does annoy me a tiny bit when people on the net p2p trades show or ask for events. im not into the collecting purposes for events.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Gen 4 games. I was excited that they (Diamond and Pearl) were going to be on the DS for first but quickly got disappointed because the battles lagged horribly.

keepitsimple

site of lies
Gen 4 games. I was excited that they (Diamond and Pearl) were going to be on the DS for first but quickly got disappointed because the battles lagged horribly.

I don't see much Gen 4 hype, in fact I very much see the opposite more often. Unless you mean in the beginning, but even then I don't think the Gen 4 games were hyped any more than any new pokemon game gets hyped, were they?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't see much Gen 4 hype, in fact I very much see the opposite more often. Unless you mean in the beginning, but even then I don't think the Gen 4 games were hyped any more than any new pokemon game gets hyped, were they?

Gen 4 had tons of hype: In fact the core Gen 4 games sold like 37 million units combined, which is more than the core Gen 3 games sold for instance iirc.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

But you know, Gen 3 battles went on quite fast and I expected Gen 4 battles to be as fast but when I started Gen 4, the battles weren't as fast as what I expected. In DP, it took like one second after the damage sound effect was finished to make the HP bar deplete/heal.

AJ-

But you know, Gen 3 battles went on quite fast and I expected Gen 4 battles to be as fast but when I started Gen 4, the battles weren't as fast as what I expected. In DP, it took like one second after the damage sound effect was finished to make the HP bar deplete/heal.

Yeah, totally agree. I just finished playing through the Gen 4 games and then picked up my old copy of Emerald just for fun, and the battles are so much snappier in Gen 3. Even Gen 5 is fast compared to Gen 4.

mfish139

The ORAS special demo version was way overhyped. The distribution system was terrible and so many people who qualified never got their code. People started paying in all kinds of currency such as bitcoins, club nintendo downloads (rip) and even real money via paypal. All of that disappointment became totally pointless when they released it on the eshop for everyone a month later.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
For me it has always been and always will be the Legendaries... While I do find some of them attractive and surely wouldn't mind showing them my... True form... What really drives me nuts is that it's all about the Legends. I really wish BW could've had a title screen like the original Red and Blue did.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Pokémon starring in Pokémon movies. They're promoted to the limit when the movie is around but when it's long gone, the Pokémon is gone with it.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Pokemon Snap. God I found this game dull as a kid and I still do to this day. I really don't see a point for a second game.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Lavender Town theme song. People just think it's the scariest Pokémon song when it's not even scary.