1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Chinonso, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SaltyPeppers

SaltyPeppers Banned

'Oh, *thing* revealed, *new game/remake* confirmed!'
    Seriously. This gets on my nerves... >-<

2. thunder2910

thunder2910 Loves pizza

The amount of people begging for a new main game, like seriously every time a side game come out people just love to complain about how eg. Pokemon Z hasn't been announced. Is it really necessary for a main game to come out yearly? Give it some time, sheesh people, some act so spoilt >->

3. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani Clearly we're great!

Pokémon Adventures.

I like it. It's a fun read. But it's not the be-all and end-all of even Pokémon manga, much less of manga as a whole like people seem to treat it as. And it's not worth overlooking all the dozens and dozens of other series out there for.

4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Caulifla v.s. _______

Dragon types and mega evolution. Dragon types get too much attention and hype imo and mega evolution isn't really that great of a thing imo.

5. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Disagree with you there. Fairy types have been overhyped because of it being a new type. Mega evolution is an original concept that is great and gave a few pokemon like a Beedrill a much needed power boost. This month's issue of corocoro was overhyped from last month: They called it big news but it was just a pokemon that we already knew about. Sure it wasn't officially announced until now but we still knew about it before corocoro.

6. Winter Breeze

Winter Breeze formely joseph.

By this logic, anything "new" is overhyped.
    Even if we already "knew" about volcanion, nintendo doesn't know it.

7. greatguy

greatguy Back.

Ehh. It still could have done with less advertisement and faux-excitement from Nintendo or whoever's in charge of advertising, IMO.

8. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~ and Animal Crossing

Agree with Fairy types being overhyped because they were advertised to be strong against Dragons even though not all Fairies are good at beating Dragon.

9. WitchRolina

WitchRolina Fulminous Witch

To me? Legendary Pokemon.

When you call something a legend, but you have to face/catch it anyways in the story and everyone has to do so to beat the game, the legend becomes the mundane. Starting in Gen IV, I grew to very much dislike legendaries for this very reason. They stopped feeling special to me. I actually got angry at Soul Silver for forcing me to turn around and catch Lugia when I was on my way to become champion.

I'd love to see the next pokemon game completely cut legends from the main story. Make them major post-game events that require the champion of the region to find and face, but I'd prefer the main story to be more personal, a more character driven story. I'm tired of saving the world. I just wanna be the best, you know?

10. Boss1991

Boss1991 Hardcore Pokéfan

Exactly how I feel.

11. Avenger Angel

Avenger Angel Warrior of Heaven

To me, definitely shiny Pokemon and Mega Evolutions. I don't care about either of them. I've even fainted shiny Pokemon without even so much as a shrug. Most of the time I don't even like the coloring changes in the first place. The one time I found a shiny Whismur, I just bopped it because I didn't have any Pokemon low enough in level to weaken it to catching condition safely, so bop. Down it went and I didn't think anything of it. I couldn't even do anything with a shiny Exploud anyway.

As for Mega Evolutions, the fact they're only temporary absolutely drains all appeal out of them. I'd WAY rather have new, permanent evolutions than more and more Mega Evolutions. If fact, finding out a Pokemon has a new Mega Evolution is downer because that means they won't be getting a new permanent one. Makes me wonder why they're called "Mega Evolutions" when the standard evolution is actually better and doesn't require them to hold an item.

12. WitchRolina

WHILE I'M AT IT...

The PikaClones.

I don't hate them in particular, but rather what gamefreak does with them. And that is... nothing. I ran a Fairy type trainer in my X version, and I really liked the design of Dedene. Just one problem - if past pikaclones were any indication, it wouldn't evolve, and thus would end up useless by midgame. And of course, that's exactly what happened. I had to drop off Perunika in the PC because she couldn't keep up. Carbunkle the Carbink replaced her, but man do I wish she could have evolved to keep up with everyone. All of this... because of Pikachu being overhyped as a concept. Dedene, Patchirisu, Batsquirrel, all of them could have benefitted soooo much by having their own Raichu... but nooo, you're not allowed because why would you evolve a pikachu?

Answer: Because Raichu is cuter and stronger and better in every way, gamefreak. Let my Dedene evolve already. T-T

13. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

Hmm you have a point. It's like they make below average electric types on purpose every gen. Pachirisu is still bae tho.

14. I've found the want for Luvdisc to evolve into Alomomola to be over-hyped. Especially because how some people say it's one of the biggest oversights Gamefreak have made. When really, in actuality, it's really, really not.

Having these two become an evolution line would not change as much people seem to think. Sure, maybe it would give people more of a reason to have a Luvdisc on their team. Maybe it would give these two a bit more popularity, but it's not as if they would objectively become as popular as, say, Pikachu or Charizard if this were to happen.

Essentially, it would just simply be a new evolution line. No more, and no less than that.

15. SlowPokeBroKing

SlowPokeBroKing Future Gym Leader

Okay... I don't think anyone wants them to be related to make them more popular. The point is they are just too similar looking and it would just make so much sense.

16. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

It's definitely an oversight. At this point though, it would just make it easier to get both by just getting one. I don't know if you were browsing around in 2011, but the minute we saw the Alomomola announced n Coro Coro, we swore up and down it was a Luvdisc evolution. The overall appearance, the coloring, the typing, we were sure. Game Freak pulls another punch.

Evolutionary trade items in the Battle complexes are pretty overhyped in-game. Probably one of the best things about B2W2 was that the evolutionary trade items were way easier to get in the Join Avenue. I believe I have 20+ Protectors, Up-Grades, Dubious Discs, etc. thanks to the Antique Shops.

So far Gen VI has brought back their scarcity and high costs in the Battle Maison. As decent as the Pokémon are in-game that need these items, the ones that are findable in Mirage Spots and carried via wild Pokémon are INFINITELY easier to get. Some of the Pokémon are also a lot more viable competitively and in-game (Scizor, Gliscor, Weavile). I'm hoping Pokémon Z makes the Sachet, Whipped Dream, Protector, etc. accessible in trash cans on certain days or something.

Also, Ability Capsule costs! 200 bones, jeez. I know they want them to be special, but that should be the cost of the item that unlocks Hidden Abilities, not opposing abilities.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  17. WitchRolina

Gen II as a whole for anyone who played it post hype.

Gonna level with you guys - I didn't play Gen II until after Gen IV... and I very much disliked it. Claire in particular can go die in an avalache. That gen took me out of it so much that I didn't even last halfway through Kanto, I just... well, I didn't play it when it was in the zeitgeist, so after hearing it was the best thing since sliced bread, I expected more. Don't even get me started on the anti-climax that was Whitney. I didn't get why people were so scared of her - of course, this was also Post-Cynthia for me, who was responsible for whipping my butt in shape and paying attention to things like competitive strats and meta.

It used to actually be my least favorite gen, but Gen IV is one of those things that you like less and less the more you think about it - kinda like Star Trek Into Darkness and Golden Sun Dark Dawn. They start at one level, but the more you think on it, the more you realize that no, you didn't like it... actually no, you actively dislike it... actually, you kind of hated it... At least Gen II had memorable moments, even if they infuriated me. Gen IV was just... forgettable, save for a few mechanical things the games needed and Cynthia.

18. That's all well and good. Those are you're guys opinions, and you're allowed to have them. Just like my (obviously non-mainstream) opinion is that them not evolving is no really huge deal to make. That's pretty much all I was doing in my last post.

Anyway, something else I still find over-hyped is the Walking feature from Yellow and HGSS. Because, assuming it's staying around for a while, Pokemon Amie is looking to be this day and age's 'Interact with your Pokemon' feature.

19. *Frank*

*Frank* Well-Known Member

Pokémon Go hasn't been released yet, but truth be told, some people are expecting too much of it to the point that they're making over-exaggerated memes and the like. It's gotten really irritating.

20. Goddess Yami

Goddess Yami Happy Go Lucky

Well you need to consider when Gen II came out a lot of people were still new to the games. So beating Whitney was quite challenging for those who didn't fully understand how to play Pokemon. As a kid I had a hard time beating Whitney mostly because I was slowly understanding how the game works (I was terrible at Yellow) and I didn't know you could catch a Nidoran that knew double kick. Today Whitney's Milktank has evolved into a meme.

But yeah there's really nothing special about gen II. I still love it because of memories. That's about it.

----

Honestly I'm not really hyped for Go. It's a cool idea and all, but it's not my cup of tea. I have never been crazy about Pokemon spin off games. I enjoyed Stadium 1 and 2 as a kid. I loved Colosseum (never got to play XD) and I play Shuffle sometimes. That's about it.

Go being an app game kind of kills it for me. I have nothing against app games. I play a few myself. I just hate in app purchases and time walls. For example I love Plant Vs Zombies 2. I will admit I have bought a few things off it. But I wish I could buy the game. Also I'm just not crazy about playing games on my phone. It wastes your battery and can eat up data if it needs the wifi. Hence why I play Zombies and Shuffle on my Ipad. Go will probably need data or wifi to work.

I'll probably give it a shot just to see what's it like.