• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Pokemon Z, at least within community. The Company is doing so many nice things for the 20th Anniversary, but there's still this impatience and hunger over what is presumably just a re-release of XY.

Last edited:
Regarding Pokemon Go, at this point I'm still not sure if I'll bother with it or not. I have a feeling I might decide to not bother with it, for some of the same reasons as Goddes Yami said. I'm not a huge app user myself, and I also could never seem to seriously get into any of the spin-off games. I prefer the main series games more.

Emperor Empoleon said:
Pokemon Z. The Company is doing so many nice things for the 20th Anniversary, but there's still this impatience and hunger over what is presumably just a re-release of XY.

I sometimes feel this way as well.
The bolded is probably why I'm not as excited for it as much as say X & Y or ORAS. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it at all, I'm just not so excited for it that I'm inpatient and want it to be here immediately.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Yeah I'm getting annoyed with people talking about next game non stop. I will admit I was annoyed when Go was announced. I was hoping for the next main game not a spin off. But I have gotten over it. It will come one day. It's not like they're ending Pokemon.

Cutty

Forever now
Zoroark is not as good as I thought it'd be given it got its movie. Its ability is pretty neat though, unless who knows it'll come w/ Mega & turn my world upside down whatever.

Sylveon is not bad. Kinda lives up its hype as the first introduced Fairy pokemon in terms of design & power.

Mega stones are kinda cool. I don't really care the background history though.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
It's definitely an oversight. At this point though, it would just make it easier to get both by just getting one. I don't know if you were browsing around in 2011, but the minute we saw the Alomomola announced n Coro Coro, we swore up and down it was a Luvdisc evolution. The overall appearance, the coloring, the typing, we were sure. Game Freak pulls another punch.

My theory is that Alomomola was intended to be a Luvdisc evolution, and probably Bouffalant was for Tauros as well (and maybe even Cryogonal from Glalie), but they decided to separate them whenever they decided that Unova would have No old Pokemon. If you include an evolution of an old Pokemon, you then also are including the old Pokemon as well. It's clear that Black & White did not want to include any old Pokemon until after the E4, and so I'll bet that in order to achieve this goal they separated them

I'm sure this has already been said, but I find Pokemon-Amie to be way overhyped. Never had a single interest in it ever

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Zoroark is not as good as I thought it'd be given it got its movie. Its ability is pretty neat though, unless who knows it'll come w/ Mega & turn my world upside down whatever.

+1 ^ this! It's ability is neat, but they butchered it in competitive play due to it not reflecting type while hazards are in play. That would have made it far more useful. It also would have required a lot more forethought to avoid 4x SR weaknesses, etc. But a Mega of this guy would be monstrous! Needs a really good ability after it Mega Evolves because Illusion would be pointless.

My theory is that Alomomola was intended to be a Luvdisc evolution, and probably Bouffalant was for Tauros as well (and maybe even Cryogonal from Glalie), but they decided to separate them whenever they decided that Unova would have No old Pokemon. If you include an evolution of an old Pokemon, you then also are including the old Pokemon as well. It's clear that Black & White did not want to include any old Pokemon until after the E4, and so I'll bet that in order to achieve this goal they separated them

That's a really sound theory. I think you're right on the money. We know GF likes to separate (see Latias and Blaziken) prototype Pokémon, so QAQC calls with separating species for specific regions isn't out of the question.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
I kinda don't care about all the new Pikachu Plushes. Like him in varies Mega Evos, or in hoodies, as it's always the same pokemon. I know Pikachu is the mascot but it'd be nice to have some variety every now and then (And I know there are plenty of other plushies but no other pokemon gets a dress up hoodie)

Cradily17

Generation 2, by far. I don't know why it gets so much praise. It easily has the most bland starters in the entire series. Meganium is just an inferior Venusaur. Typhlosion is boring compared to all the other Fire-starters, and Feraligatr looks like a plain crocodilian where they just tacked on some spikes and called it a day. While it did introduce some good mechanics and features, it barely featured the new Pokémon (just look at the Pokémon the gym leaders use), and many of them weren't too great as far as usefulness goes, with Unown arguably being the most useless Pokémon of all time in battle. The level scaling was pretty bad as well. Johto was pretty empty for the most part. You can tell the inclusion of Kanto costed them. I just just consider it an extension of Gen 1.

At least Ruby/Sapphire felt like a real sequel with more features that were important (Double Battles, a refined EV/IV system, Natures, Abilities etc), yet you don't see as many people praise Gen 3.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Pokemon Z, at least within community. The Company is doing so many nice things for the 20th Anniversary, but there's still this impatience and hunger over what is presumably just a re-release of XY.

Honestly I'm interested in Z only to see what they do to make Zygarde less completely useless. As of right now the thing is complete trash, but then again the very mediocre Kyurem from B/W gave rise to the Ubers-viable Kyurem-W and the infamously strong (if rather lacking in the movepool department) Kyurem-B in B2/W2.

HouseRaven

Still, being the only region including 16 badges to obtain makes it pretty awesome.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Generation 2, by far. I don't know why it gets so much praise. It easily has the most bland starters in the entire series. Meganium is just an inferior Venusaur. Typhlosion is boring compared to all the other Fire-starters, and Feraligatr looks like a plain crocodilian where they just tacked on some spikes and called it a day. While it did introduce some good mechanics and features, it barely featured the new Pokémon (just look at the Pokémon the gym leaders use), and many of them weren't too great as far as usefulness goes, with Unown arguably being the most useless Pokémon of all time in battle. The level scaling was pretty bad as well. Johto was pretty empty for the most part. You can tell the inclusion of Kanto costed them. I just just consider it an extension of Gen 1.

At least Ruby/Sapphire felt like a real sequel with more features that were important (Double Battles, a refined EV/IV system, Natures, Abilities etc), yet you don't see as many people praise Gen 3.

I couldn't agree more with you on Gen II. In fact, I felt that a lot of the same issues came back in HGSS. And when it was initially released, the new types were REALLY scarce. Like it was next to impossible to find anything other than Magnemite for Steels, and you had to wait until post E4 to get any of the new Dark-types (except Umbreon). Not good. There were Rattatas and Raticates on every route, the new Pokémon were rare, things ran away from, the levels decreased when you traveled back through Kanto, Gen II was a mess.

Unfortunately, Gen III was just as messy. They included few of the original 151, the new EV system was not straightforward and VERY hard to work with early on, the physical/special split hadn't occurred yet. And unless you loved Grass, Ground, Flying, and Water-types, there was a distinct shortage of a lot of other Pokémon types on your play through.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I couldn't agree more with you on Gen II. In fact, I felt that a lot of the same issues came back in HGSS. And when it was initially released, the new types were REALLY scarce. Like it was next to impossible to find anything other than Magnemite for Steels, and you had to wait until post E4 to get any of the new Dark-types (except Umbreon). Not good. There were Rattatas and Raticates on every route, the new Pokémon were rare, things ran away from, the levels decreased when you traveled back through Kanto, Gen II was a mess.

Yeah and level curves in Mt Silver wasn't too good either, like even Lv 20 Larvitar can be found there (but mostly Lv 40 other Pokémon can be found there) and Red's Pokémon were like Lv 70-80, probably the levels of your Pokémon when you challenge Red, but I still find Red overhyped though.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Yeah and level curves in Mt Silver wasn't too good either, like even Lv 20 Larvitar can be found there (but mostly Lv 40 other Pokémon can be found there) and Red's Pokémon were like Lv 70-80, probably the levels of your Pokémon when you challenge Red, but I still find Red overhyped though.

Larvitar being low level were there for the same reason Red's team had such a high level compared to Lance and Blue, to make the game seem longer. Larvitar was found in the last area and had to gain 35-40 levels with a slow growth rate to become Tyranitar so that meant you had to basically play the game for a long time after almost the entire story was done to get the ultra-powerful pseudo-legendary. It just meant there was a ton of pretty boring level grinding. I'd actually agree Red in general was overhyped too, his team wasn't as well built and threatening as Blue's or Cynthia's, it was just overleveled.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'd actually agree Red in general was overhyped too, his team wasn't as well built and threatening as Blue's or Cynthia's, it was just overleveled.

Yeah, same too. The levels may seem intimidating but I could still defeat him with a team of Lv 70 Pokémon.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Unfortunately, Gen III was just as messy. They included few of the original 151, the new EV system was not straightforward and VERY hard to work with early on, the physical/special split hadn't occurred yet. And unless you loved Grass, Ground, Flying, and Water-types, there was a distinct shortage of a lot of other Pokémon types on your play through.

While I agree the physical/special split should have been introduced in Gen 3, I disagree that the new EV system was a bad thing, as the old one was just too simplistic to allow for a really diverse metagame, at least on the scale of what sprung from the new system. Speed creeping, for instance, wasn't a thing prior to Gen 3.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
While I agree the physical/special split should have been introduced in Gen 3, I disagree that the new EV system was a bad thing, as the old one was just too simplistic to allow for a really diverse metagame, at least on the scale of what sprung from the new system. Speed creeping, for instance, wasn't a thing prior to Gen 3.

No, no, you miss understood me. In Gen III it wasn't fleshed out like it is now. We had the Macho Brace, the vitamins, and fighting other Pokémon. That was it. There wasn't a really fast method (or several different methods) to get the EVs like there is now. Also, the Tamato (and other EV reducing) berry wasn't retconned in the mechanics until Emerald, which was released at the end of Gen III. So yes, EVing in Gen III was torture.

I don't mind the system now, the bulk of us love it because it adds diversity and individuality to the games. And Gen VI's Super Training graph is such an amazing tool that I hope they continue to include it's mechanic in all future Pokémon releases!

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Pokemon news gets over-hyped by corocoro. Eternal Floette is over-hyped because people think it is that good when it isn't. Mega Charizard Y is over-hyped because it believed to be better than X which it is not.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Pokemon news gets over-hyped by corocoro. Eternal Floette is over-hyped because people think it is that good when it isn't. Mega Charizard Y is over-hyped because it believed to be better than X which it is not.

Y might not be as usable on as many teams as X, I mean X is far more dangerous if it gets a Ddance up. But Y is still a brutal wallbreaker, drought and 159 special attack make it reliably do 30% on blissey, and Y tends to do better than X against mega venusaurs and clefable and it'll probably OHKO the standard bulky Rotom-W too.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
No, no, you miss understood me. In Gen III it wasn't fleshed out like it is now. We had the Macho Brace, the vitamins, and fighting other Pokémon. That was it. There wasn't a really fast method (or several different methods) to get the EVs like there is now. Also, the Tamato (and other EV reducing) berry wasn't retconned in the mechanics until Emerald, which was released at the end of Gen III. So yes, EVing in Gen III was torture.

I don't mind the system now, the bulk of us love it because it adds diversity and individuality to the games. And Gen VI's Super Training graph is such an amazing tool that I hope they continue to include it's mechanic in all future Pokémon releases!

And Pokérus?

Really, because I see way more hype for Charizard X than Charizard Y.. Mostly because of the Dragon-typing..

Eternal Floette gets pretty much as much attention (different than hype) that all different forms tend to get, plus a bit of attention for it being almost as good as its evolved form with an unique 140BP-attack of its own. It doesn't get much more hype than say the Rotom-forms got when Platinum came out.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Eternal Floette needs to just come out, then we'll compare hype trains to others. Seriously, one of the best concepts to hit promotional Pokemon in a while. Let's let a special NFE Pokemon have competitve stats on par with its evolution, but let it be 1 point weaker. I wish they'd do this with things like Sneasel, Eevee and Magneton. Of course, it'd have to be story related otherwise it'd be too shoehorned in.