• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Trainer Customisation. It was quite an exciting feature in XY but disappointed quite a lot of people because it didn't make it into ORAS.

Silvijo

Trainer Customisation. It was quite an exciting feature in XY but disappointed quite a lot of people because it didn't make it into ORAS.

The trainer customization had very limited choice of clothing for male characters in my opinion, that's what rather disappointed me.
Leaving the whole thing out of ORAS was really saddening as well, though in the end, you realize that it isn't that bad....

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The trainer customization had very limited choice of clothing for male characters in my opinion, that's what rather disappointed me.
Leaving the whole thing out of ORAS was really saddening as well, though in the end, you realize that it isn't that bad....

Well, I sort of agree with the fact that there was more variety in female clothing than male clothing as I played as the boy in Pokemon Y and played as the girl in Pokemon X and leaving out a bit of male fashion was a bit disappointing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't think it was that bad for Pokémon's first go around.

Remember, GAME FREAK loves taking baby steps. It may be a couple more generations before we see something as expansive as The Sims.

Benzigzag

Gardevoir. I get it, people find you suggestive and like to fantasize about you. When will that joke get old <___<
It doesn't even look arousing in any way, it's just elegant

I agree. I like Gardevoir not for it's suggestive look, but because it's a pretty good pokemon, plus it was my strongest pokemon in Emerald.

Last edited:

grey wing

Johto League Champ
Legendary pokemon. Yes, they are powerful, rare, and most of your game's plot revolves around at least one of them, but I feel they are disappointing to use. Most are overpowered and using them makes battling less challenging, and for me personally, detracts from the game.

Also, Sylveon. I feel it got way too much hype because, not only is it an eeveelution, but also because it was marketed as the "gold standard" of fairy types. That honor should have gone to Clefairy since it really was the first fairy, having been around since gen. I. Plus, I think it has creepy eyes.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
Goomy
The story of Gen 5
Shiny Pokemon

I have to say, I find Sarena kind of overrated and overhyped.
(note: in this case I'm referring to anime Sarena, not game Sarena)

It might just be me who sees this, but at times she seems to be worshiped the same way Misty (still, annoyingly) get's worshiped.
Hell, I find Ash, Clemont and Bonnie more interesting than her, and I don't even watch the show for the human character interactions.

On the other hand, maybe it's because she's the current Pokegirl (or 'eye candy' of the group) in the show, so the hype ends up being justified in the end.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well, a couple of Mega Evolutions. They were promoted to be powerful forms of the original and some, of which, aren't competitively viable. Others were more successful.

Red. No. Just stop. His team is ridiculously weak, and only stands a chance because its so high levelled. Also, I hate it when people say 'Red's Theme'. Red does not have a theme of his own. It is originally used by Lance, is used by Lance in more games, and generally belongs to Lance.

I think Gen I/Kanto in general is very overhyped. Like, the Pokemon designs were so bland? I mean, at least Garbodor shows fuel (through its fingers resembling pumps) and trash through its design, representing two styles of pollution. Grimer is just... a pile of sludge. That evolves into. A bigger pile of sludge. So many Gen I Pokemon just get bigger, thicker, and lose/gain limbs when they evolve, or grow another head/one of themselves. It was also nefariously broken due to Psychic, being (accidentally) immune to Ghost, super effective against Poison (pretty much half of Kanto) and Bug. And the Speed = Critical Hit chance. What? Honestly, there's a reason Psychic got two types to nerf it rather than the one Fairy-Types received ¬_¬

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Red. No. Just stop. His team is ridiculously weak, and only stands a chance because its so high levelled. Also, I hate it when people say 'Red's Theme'. Red does not have a theme of his own. It is originally used by Lance, is used by Lance in more games, and generally belongs to Lance.

I think Gen I/Kanto in general is very overhyped. Like, the Pokemon designs were so bland? I mean, at least Garbodor shows fuel (through its fingers resembling pumps) and trash through its design, representing two styles of pollution. Grimer is just... a pile of sludge. That evolves into. A bigger pile of sludge. So many Gen I Pokemon just get bigger, thicker, and lose/gain limbs when they evolve, or grow another head/one of themselves. It was also nefariously broken due to Psychic, being (accidentally) immune to Ghost, super effective against Poison (pretty much half of Kanto) and Bug. And the Speed = Critical Hit chance. What? Honestly, there's a reason Psychic got two types to nerf it rather than the one Fairy-Types received ¬_¬

Psychic was never Super Effective against Bug.
It was always the other way around.

raichu27

Psychic was never Super Effective against Bug.
It was always the other way around.
Psychic actually does neutral damage against a Bug type. Jolteon was able to learn Pin Missile for fighting against Psychic types on the first generation. Beedrill was also able to outspeed some of the Psychic Pokemon like Hypno, Slowbro, and Executor. Beedrill can also have a chance to attack Pokemon like Alakazam and Mewtwo when it's paralyzed, a sleep, frozen, or when the move Psychic is disabled.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster

That was a little disapointing, especially for black players who could make characters who look like them for the first time in a pokemon game.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Psychic actually does neutral damage against a Bug type. Jolteon was able to learn Pin Missile for fighting against Psychic types on the first generation. Beedrill was also able to outspeed some of the Psychic Pokemon like Hypno, Slowbro, and Executor. Beedrill can also have a chance to attack Pokemon like Alakazam and Mewtwo when it's paralyzed, a sleep, frozen, or when the move Psychic is disabled.

I, when did I say it didn't do Neutral Damage to Bug Types?
Bug is SE on Psychic. Psychic is neutral on Bug which is the exact reason Beedrill isn't viable.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
I honestly like Mega Charizard X. All hype aside, it is my second favorite Mega Pokemon.

Anyways, people aren't going to like me saying this, but EVs, IVs, egg moves, natures, and anything else competitive. That's all people seem to care about, and I say they just ruin the game. (I'm not looking for a debate here, I'm just saying)

I completely agree. There are quite a few people who train the same Pokémon (looking at you two, Incarnate Thundurus and Therian Landorus). A little more creativity would be nice.

Also i think Hidden Power is not even that useful. Base power of 60? I'd rather get something stronger.

Last edited:

raichu27

I, when did I say it didn't do Neutral Damage to Bug Types?
Bug is SE on Psychic. Psychic is neutral on Bug which is the exact reason Beedrill isn't viable.
You were saying it was the other way around when you saying that Psychic wasn't super effective against Bug.

KillerDraco

Also i think Hidden Power is not even that useful. Base power of 60? I'd rather get something stronger.

Hidden Power's used out of necessity, not because its power. "Something stronger" is all well and good when things have options, but for something like Magnezone who needs the coverage that Hidden Power offers since its movepool is extremely limited, then you find yourself needing Hidden Power. Trapping Ferrothorn is pointless when it resists both of your STAB attacks.

Anyway...

Without a doubt, the most overhyped thing in my book is Karen's defeat quote. I mean, it's objectively wrong. You can absolutely quantify a Pokemon's strength. If I say "Pidgeot is stronger than Pidgey", or "Farfetch'd is weaker than Staraptor", that is not a selfish perception. That is an absolute fact that can be quantified by a difference in stats. If people wanna use their favorite Pokemon, that's fine. But people take Karen's quote too far and act like there's no such thing as strong and weak Pokemon. How you use them has some effect, but it's certainly a lot easier to use an Arceus than it is to use a Caterpie.

...Plus, I don't think someone who's supposed to be one of the strongest trainers in the world but is beat by a 10-year old child who's only been a trainer for a few days is the best person to base your strategic views on.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
You were saying it was the other way around when you saying that Psychic wasn't super effective against Bug.

Yeah.
The opposite of Psychic being SE on Bug is Bug being SE on Psychic.
Psychic>Bug and the opposite of that is Psychic<Bug.

DLO

GEEERATENA
I'm going to assume Illusio meant the stuff people often mentioned, like Gym Leader using their R/S team instead of their much better Emerald team, as well as lack of Gym Leader double battle rematch, Battle Frontier, or even the expanded Safari Zone.......the use of R/S team isn't even a must considering HG/SS has Crystal elements, so GF could have incorporated Emerald elements via the GL's improved team, but they didn't do it.

Here is some "overhyped things. People complain about ORAS not having Emerald content, and say Crystal this, HGSS that. They should stop doing that because outside slight graphical changes and gimmicks like more Unown puzzles, the radio card, swapping some Pokemon and people around and adding the useless Eusine to the game, it did absolutely nothing. Emerald instead basically changed the game as a whole: the story was different, you could find different Pokemon, everyone had a different team, etc

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The Dream World...One of the highlight features of BW. It was way too slow and grindy to get some of the better Dream Pokemon, and building up your Dream Home meant nothing once Gen 5 was over. Also not a fan of how they relegated Berry farming to that feature as opposed to just making it available in-game :/

Here is some "overhyped things. People complain about ORAS not having Emerald content, and say Crystal this, HGSS that. They should stop doing that because outside slight graphical changes and gimmicks like more Unown puzzles, the radio card, swapping some Pokemon and people around and adding the useless Eusine to the game, it did absolutely nothing. Emerald instead basically changed the game as a whole: the story was different, you could find different Pokemon, everyone had a different team, etc

I don't think anyone hypes Crystal by itself so much as Game Freak taking it into account when bringing back Johto. We got virtually everything back from Gen 2 thanks to that, be it big or small. Except for the slots. And for some it just becomes easier to appreciate in hindsight after [XYZ] was left out of ORAS.

Last edited: