• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Dream World...One of the highlight features of BW. It was way too slow and grindy to get some of the better Dream Pokemon, and building up your Dream Home meant nothing once Gen 5 was over. Also not a fan of how they relegated Berry farming to that feature as opposed to just making it available in-game :/

I remember that. It seemed exciting to get Hidden Ability Pokemon at first but it took time for me to get better Dream World Pokemon. But since you can't farm Berries in-game in Gen 5, Dream World is the only option but because you couldn't send Berries to DW, it cut down the excitement.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Spiky Eared Pichu. It was an exciting thing to obtain back during HGSS but it was disappointing that it couldn't be transferred to Gen 5 games.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Any announcement about an announcement. Most of the time people thing its a new game or the like, and it turns out to be something like... that spiked-ear Pichu! Or some minor event in Japan only!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Unown. Oh...ARCEUS Unown. This thing was HYPED. A whole movie treating them as god-like. The game leading to this great mystery. What do you get? Literally the worst Pokemon of all time

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Unown. Oh...ARCEUS Unown. This thing was HYPED. A whole movie treating them as god-like. The game leading to this great mystery. What do you get? Literally the worst Pokemon of all time

There was a similar thing with Zoroark. There was an entire movie dedicated to it and it was really frail.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
You can't really compare Zoroark to Unown though.

What I'm just saying is that Zoroark didn't get a lot of love from the movies, but I'm not actually comparing Zoroark to Unown, to be honest. It's just failures.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
What I'm just saying is that Zoroark didn't get a lot of love from the movies, but I'm not actually comparing Zoroark to Unown, to be honest. It's just failures.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the Zoroark movie, except for the fact that Zorua talked. That seems to be the trend nowadays I suppose, having the cute Pokemon being able to talk in movies.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Musicals back in Gen 5. It seemed appealing at first but it didn't seem to contribute anything to the main parts of the game such as evolution and obtaining additional important items like Full Restores, Lava Cookies, Casteliacones and Destiny Knots. All you get is Props and that's it.

Mega Evolution and Fairy types, in my point of view, they took a lot of power away from other Pokemon and made me and my friends a little upset. Togekiss was now susceptible to ghost types, fighting types now get beat by Jigglypuff. Dragon types got beat down again. The only positive for fairy types is that it finally gave poison types a purpose. Mega Evolutions just made the game less fun. Traditional tough Pokemon now just can't keep up. Rayquazza has become the de facto kill everything Pokemon. Not to mention it made held items a lot more difficult, that and some stupid Pokemon received them (Audino) while others, like Drapion and Dunsparce were ignored. That's in my opinion what's overhyped.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Mega Evolution and Fairy types, in my point of view, they took a lot of power away from other Pokemon and made me and my friends a little upset. Togekiss was now susceptible to ghost types, fighting types now get beat by Jigglypuff. Dragon types got beat down again. The only positive for fairy types is that it finally gave poison types a purpose. Mega Evolutions just made the game less fun. Traditional tough Pokemon now just can't keep up. Rayquazza has become the de facto kill everything Pokemon. Not to mention it made held items a lot more difficult, that and some stupid Pokemon received them (Audino) while others, like Drapion and Dunsparce were ignored. That's in my opinion what's overhyped.

As previous posts have mentioned, Fairy types are generally Support orientated and aren't Attack orientated, reducing the Fairy type viability. It seems that Xerneas is the most powerful Fairy type but despite the introduction of the Fairy type, the Dragon type still has a lot of ground in competitive just like Mega Rayquaza dominating competitive. Also, Mega Salamence is one of those Dragons that kills everyone in competitive. I agree that there are some Pokemon that are seemingly 'ignored' by Game Freak such as Drapion, Dunsparce, Shuckle, Qwilfish and many others and the point that Mega Audino is the worst Mega.

Last edited:

raichu27

Fairy types are also weak to steel while it resists fighting. Both of the other types that's weak to steel is also weak to fighting. I think the fairy type being added, makes poison and steel moves being more useful. Dragon types can often learn moves like Iron Tail for countering against fairy types. Some dragon Pokemon can also learn moves like Poison Jab and Sludge Bomb as well. Mega Evolution can be overpowering sometimes as well.

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
I don't think Dragon-types lost that much of their viability. Don't know if I'm correct, because I haven't played competitive since the arrival of 6th generation, but from what I gather I can say that Dragon-types are not just a free ticket to win, but actually have a healthy risk vs reward balance, just like any other Pokemon type. Before, every team sort of needed a Dragon-type, and even DragMag/Dragonspam was a very viable strategy, with Dragon-types being disproportionately powerful in comparison to the other types. Seeing battlers put two Steel-type Pokemon onto their teams was not an uncommon sight, and maybe even required to have a chance of winning. A similar thing can be said about Fighting-types. In 5th Generation, Fighting-types were occasionally compared to what Psychic-types were in 1st Generation. No risk, big reward, and with the amount of heavy hitting Fighting-types introduced into 5th Generation, the introduction of the Fairy-type in 6th Generation was actually quite a blessing. And let's be honest, nobody is going to run Poison Jab or Iron Tail. This just means that there's a healthy risk to be considered when using a Dragon or Fighting-type, and its not just spamming a certain move or match-up related play anymore. This makes the metagame a lot more balanced than it was before, (and overall more enjoyable too, or so I've heard) :]
Anyway, if this happens to be incorrect, feel free to correct me, because as I said, I haven't actually played 6th Generation competitive and I don't lurk on Smogon quite as often as I used to either. This was more logical thinking and making my own conclusions :b

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't think Dragon-types lost that much of their viability. Don't know if I'm correct, because I haven't played competitive since the arrival of 6th generation, but from what I gather I can say that Dragon-types are not just a free ticket to win, but actually have a healthy risk vs reward balance, just like any other Pokemon type. Before, every team sort of needed a Dragon-type, and even DragMag/Dragonspam was a very viable strategy, with Dragon-types being disproportionately powerful in comparison to the other types. Seeing battlers put two Steel-type Pokemon onto their teams was not an uncommon sight, and maybe even required to have a chance of winning. A similar thing can be said about Fighting-types. In 5th Generation, Fighting-types were occasionally compared to what Psychic-types were in 1st Generation. No risk, big reward, and with the amount of heavy hitting Fighting-types introduced into 5th Generation, the introduction of the Fairy-type in 6th Generation was actually quite a blessing. And let's be honest, nobody is going to run Poison Jab or Iron Tail. This just means that there's a healthy risk to be considered when using a Dragon or Fighting-type, and its not just spamming a certain move or match-up related play anymore. This makes the metagame a lot more balanced than it was before, (and overall more enjoyable too, or so I've heard) :]
Anyway, if this happens to be incorrect, feel free to correct me, because as I said, I haven't actually played 6th Generation competitive and I don't lurk on Smogon quite as often as I used to either. This was more logical thinking and making my own conclusions :b

What I know is that Haxorus runs Poison Jab in Gen 6 competitive but I'm not sure with other Dragon types and at least there is Dialga, a Steel-Dragon type. Some Dialga sets run Flash Cannon. Because of some competitive background, I honestly think that the Fairy type still isn't strong enough to put the Dragons into 'history' but it seems like that only Xerneas, the only Fairy type legendary, could do that.

Last edited:

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
Yep, and I'm glad they're not history or something of the past. But I'm certainly glad about balance. And that they now have the choice to put Poison Jab somewhere or a STAB Steel-type move (like a Dialga can), but obviously choosing to do that is foregoing other kinds of coverage. And Haxorus wasn't even prominent in OU in 5th Generation, so it might be UU now or something like that, so there's less threats to worry about.

Edit: Dragonite is still using its usual Fire /+ Ground type for coverage I see (and obviously ExtremeSpeed and a Dragon-type move of choice), and Garchomp is using Ground + its Dragon-type move, with Mega-Garchomp using Fire Blast as well. Mega-Altaria is running Fairy-type Return/Hyper Voice, Earthquake and Fire Blast/Flamethrower depending on set and purpose. Charizard-X Dragon-type move + Fire-type move + Ground-type move. Latios is still using the ever-familiar Draco Meteor + Psyshock + HP Fire. It's all the same isn't it? No sign of Poison Jab and Flash Cannon at all. And for good reason. But it's a good thing they can't just spam Outrage without the possibility of a Fairy-type switch-in anymore.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ah, I see what you mean.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the Zoroark movie, except for the fact that Zorua talked. That seems to be the trend nowadays I suppose, having the cute Pokemon being able to talk in movies.

I don't think this happened to Victini but I remembered it happened to Shaymin, Keldeo and Genesect (I don't think it's cute really).

raichu27

What I know is that Haxorus runs Poison Jab in Gen 6 competitive but I'm not sure with other Dragon types and at least there is Dialga, a Steel-Dragon type. Some Dialga sets run Flash Cannon. Because of some competitive background, I honestly think that the Fairy type still isn't strong enough to put the Dragons into 'history' but it seems like that only Xerneas, the only Fairy type legendary, could do that.
Granbull has strong physical attack for Play Rough. Eternal Flower Floette can also learn Light of Ruin, which has 140 attack power, but however does terrible damage to itself.

I also remember Mewtwo talking in the movies as well.

Raravian

Ditto Pimp
I'm more concerned about some Fairy-type designs. For example, Sylveon's design has been very overhyped, with fanart of it being created en masse and people being really enthusiastic about this new Eeveelution. But I think it's a really awkward design with the ribbons. Are the ribbons part of the Pokemon or not? It is flesh? Is it fluff? What exactly do these 'feelers' do and how come they have 'evolved' to look like that. It does not make any sense, from a biological point of view. I know I shouldn't complain about logic when it comes to designs, as very aesthetically pleasing illogical designs have been made, but this just doesn't do it for me. The trade-evolution Fairy-type duo has grown on me though, I must admit. Overall I still like most previous generation (but now retyped) Fairy-types best though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Granbull has strong physical attack for Play Rough. Eternal Flower Floette can also learn Light of Ruin, which has 140 attack power, but however does terrible damage to itself.

I also remember Mewtwo talking in the movies as well.

But Granbull is NU though and Eternal Flower Floette is unreleased. Although Granbull has high Attack (for a Fairy type), it has poor stat distribution in other stats (fairly decent HP, poor Defense, Sp. Defense and Speed). Eternal Flower Floette does have potential with Light of Ruin but I know the horrible recoil it does to itself; 1/2 of the damage it does. But Mewtwo is not one of the 'talking cuties' though but it does talk, I remember.

Last edited: