• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Overhyped" things in Pokémon.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
It's not scary, it's just a bunch of high notes arranged in a cutesy way.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
Pokeathlon. I never played this sidequest during my original run of SS. Recently I noticed a lot of people talking about it here and on Reddit. So I decided to check it out. I did not like it one bit. I had issues with the controls. It could of just been me though, but regardless I found it to be boring. I will admit it's something different, but I hope it never returns.

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I feel like M-Latios and M-Latias were extremely overhyped due to them being legendary mega evolutions. The funny story is though, Latias and Latios are actually stronger with Life Orb (OU) and Soul Dew (Ubers), the only reason to even run their mega evolutions would either be some kind of VGC gimmick team or if you really need that extra bulk on Latias... Which you don't really need.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Pokemon Origins.

It seems like that special was only well received because its not the main TV series. Because its not Ash.

On its own merits? They skimmed way too much of the actual Gen 1 content, the art and battles aren't nearly as vibrant or dynamic as the TV show can get, and they shoehorned Megas into the lore when they didn't even exist back then :/

Felt more like a thinly veiled XY advertisement than a true dedication to Red & Blue.

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Gen 4 games. I was excited that they (Diamond and Pearl) were going to be on the DS for first but quickly got disappointed because the battles lagged horribly.

I'll agree with the lag issues, but Gen 4 was anything but overhyped. Gen IV paved the way for lots of Pokémon by virtue of the special/physical split. That's more than enough reason to return to Pokémon for me. Suddenly, things that weren't as functional with their types before shot-up instantaneously overnight. Shadow Ball on Gengar is a prime example, and do I need to mention the relevance of Outrage? Plus, the evolutions gained in IV were a breath of fresh air for things that never stood a chance, even if most of them are now competitively inferior or obsolete. Ironically, 3 of the 4 Ice-type evolutions gained in IV are still viable in OU...

Mega Gallade is the epitome of over-hyped. In-game, it performs brilliantly. In battle scenarios, it requires teamwork and uses that coveted Mega Evolution slot. Lopunny has immaculate coverage thanks to Scrappy, and Megacham hits like a truck AND has priority. This is beautiful, since most people on Serebii.net thought Mega Gallade would supersede Megacham, and nobody gave two $hits about Mega Lopunny. Oh, and Mega Gallade had a cape, so it had to be epically superior. Wrong!

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I'll agree with the lag issues, but Gen 4 was anything but overhyped. Gen IV paved the way for lots of Pokémon by virtue of the special/physical split. That's more than enough reason to return to Pokémon for me. Suddenly, things that weren't as functional with their types before shot-up instantaneously overnight. Shadow Ball on Gengar is a prime example, and do I need to mention the relevance of Outrage? Plus, the evolutions gained in IV were a breath of fresh air for things that never stood a chance, even if most of them are now competitively inferior or obsolete. Ironically, 3 of the 4 Ice-type evolutions gained in IV are still viable in OU...

Mega Gallade is the epitome of over-hyped. In-game, it performs brilliantly. In battle scenarios, it requires teamwork and uses that coveted Mega Evolution slot. Lopunny has immaculate coverage thanks to Scrappy, and Megacham hits like a truck AND has priority. This is beautiful, since most people on Serebii.net thought Mega Gallade would supersede Megacham, and nobody gave two $hits about Mega Lopunny. Oh, and Mega Gallade had a cape, so it had to be epically superior. Wrong!

So, two megas perform better competitively and therefore makes anyone's opinion on the matter wrong? Lol. K.

Winona

~*~The Sky Tamer~*~
Pikachu. I remember when I was little I was ready to find a pikachu. Now I absolutely hate it.

Same!
I'm tired of pikachu now...especially in the anime, he seemed to have more character when Ash first got him (no offence to anyone, just my opinion!)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Kanto region in general. It's being shoved into our minds every generation and isn't very exciting to explore now unlike back then. And Gym Leaders barely getting involved into the plot after they're beaten.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
The Kanto region in general. It's being shoved into our minds every generation and isn't very exciting to explore now unlike back then. And Gym Leaders barely getting involved into the plot after they're beaten.

How has it been "shoved into our minds"? Besides the remakes and some mega-evolutions/legendaries, I don't recall Kanto being shoved down our throats any more than any other generation. If anything, Hoenn has. Not saying I'm upset by that since I love Hoenn, but I see way more Hoenn references throughout the games than I do Kanto.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The Pokémon movies. Just some cheap add to promote the games.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
How has it been "shoved into our minds"? Besides the remakes and some mega-evolutions/legendaries, I don't recall Kanto being shoved down our throats any more than any other generation. If anything, Hoenn has. Not saying I'm upset by that since I love Hoenn, but I see way more Hoenn references throughout the games than I do Kanto.

Imo, literally in every generation, there's a Kanto reference. You can explore Kanto in the first four generations, ability to catch Eevee in gen 5, specifically B2W2 (and PC person known as Amanita gives you Eevee), Driftveil Drawbridge also known as the Charizard Drawbridge and getting a Kanto starter in Kalos + Kanto Legendaries. And imo, there seems to be a lot of Kanto references but not really as much Hoenn references.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
So, two megas perform better competitively and therefore makes anyone's opinion on the matter wrong? Lol. K.

Hey bro, I know you're a little slow, but did you read the OP, my post in it's entirety, or are you just playing Devil's advocate in the thread? The thread's about over-hyped Pokémon, not personal choice aesthetics.

For fighting-types who are Mega Evolutions, opportunity cost is critical. And Mega Gallade's is sufficiently higher than others. There was a definite hype train for Mega Gallade in the beginning, it's died down. Don't like comp play? Avoid Pokémon websites, because the fandom is comprised extensively of competitive players.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Hey bro, I know you're a little slow, but did you read the OP, my post in it's entirety, or are you just playing Devil's advocate in the thread? The thread's about over-hyped Pokémon, not personal choice aesthetics.

For fighting-types who are Mega Evolutions, opportunity cost is critical. And Mega Gallade's is sufficiently higher than others. There was a definite hype train for Mega Gallade in the beginning, it's died down. Don't like comp play? Avoid Pokémon websites, because the fandom is comprised extensively of competitive players.

So you think Mega Gallade is over-hyped. That's fine. I'm not rejecting the idea that you have an opinion. However, you thought it would be clever and logical to compare it to other megas and deny its relevance based on your biased view of competitive-vs-game and your subjective aesthetic complaints. As you said, "In-game, it performs brilliantly." At what point is that not enough to make a useful Pokemon? Not every Pokemon needs to be King of OU to be considered relevant. Not to mention, you are one of the many that decide a Pokemon's hype based on a specific niche and role. This is a logical fallacy. When hyping up this mega, no one from an official standpoint claimed it would reign in the competitive scene or that it would dethrone any preceding megas with similar roles. You just decided one day that you don't like it as much as everyone else. That's fine. But to go out of your way to argue that it objectively just is not a viable Pokemon because it was over-hyped by the fanbase is off-topic and illogical.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly

I'd say this applies to the anime in general, not just the movies. I think the anime solely exists to promote the games, nothing more, whether it's the main series, movies or the specials.

Japan tends to promote the anime quite heavily, yet it usually never lives up to it I reckon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

I have to agree here too. It seems that when a Pokémon movie is about to come out, there is lot of hype and it gets a lot of attention. But if enough time passes after the release, then people look away from it.

Goddess Yami

Happy Go Lucky
I'd say this applies to the anime in general, not just the movies. I think the anime solely exists to promote the games, nothing more, whether it's the main series, movies or the specials.

Japan tends to promote the anime quite heavily, yet it usually never lives up to it I reckon.

Yeah most anime in general is made to promote something. In Pokemon's case it's the merch, the games, and the trading cards. However they should at least put effort into the show and the movies. From what I heard the adventure manga series is pretty good.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Eternal Floette is overhyped. Sure it has a powerful move, looks unique and is stronger than normal ones but it is not that powerful that people think it is.