• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overlapping types

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
Am I the only one who absolutely and totally detests having two Pokemon of the same type no matter what?

Seriously. I can't stand having both Swampert and Camerupt on the same team even though I'm a fan of both Pokemon. I have never used a Gyrados because I'm afraid that it will unbalance my team by having two lying types in, it and my one who knows Fly. I can't even use both Golem and Aggron on the same team.

Am I the only one who's OCD like this?

Mare

CHANSEY hunter!
Personally, I just use favorites. My personal team would consist of pokemon that I think look good. I usually always have Nosepass/Probopass in my team, I wouldn't hesitate to put other steel types in my team. For you I would suggest forgetting about 1 type on each of your pokemon, EG: there is no point in not using a flying type because f Gyrados, thats just silly.

Off subject, why is it that Most water types are also flying type aswell?

xANGELx

xANGELx
I personally also have an issue with using the same types in my party. For battling purposes I always try to maximise my type selection and I find it very hard to choose pokemon that are all different, but it frustrates me when I have 2 pokemon that can be taken out by the same supereffective move. I find it funny that you call it OCD because I actually HAVE that lol.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
It depends really on how I can use something offensively and defensively.
Water is a type that I might have 2 of, because water has 2 weaknesses that can be neautralized by other types. Like having a water/ground immune to electric, but X4 from grass, and then having water/steel, takes neutral dmg from grass. Also 1 resists fire, ones neutral to it, one resists ice, onces neutral to it. So, they're different in weaknesses really. One can be more my ground type and one my water type.

Way back when I learned about pokemon as a played the games I might accidentally have 2 of the same type. Like using shroomish and torchic, not knowing both become fighting type.
I remember I actually avoided using larvitar at first because it's rock/ground and figured it'd evolve into one.

AlCario

Banned
Well, for me it depends.

For example, I wouldn't have both Feraligatr and Octillery on the same team because their typing is exactly the same, but I would have no problem with, say, Kingdra and Lanturn since they're weaknesses and resistances are different despite them both being waters.

Terry_555

I sorta had the same problem with Swampert and Crawdaunt but i still wanted to have another dark type on my team and i use it for dive.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
I avoid stuff like Empoleon and Gyarados on the same team, but have Gyarados and Staraptor since Gyarados is only Flying cos of the legend, otherwise absolutely nothing is flying about it.

However when i do put same types in my team sometimes, like Empoleon/Infernape and Lucario or Mamoswine and Rhyperior....

squlicky4

Im sure your not the only one who does this
It all down to what you feel you should do my team is sometimes weakend for my love of normal types but none the less i still have to have water types and all that in it but its ok to put to of your favorites in i mean what have you got to lose

Poke_Cannon

Beck is my boy'

Because they aren't.. You're just being ridiculous.

Gyarados, Mantyke line, and Wingull line. That's it.

Out of 92 Water types.. only those are the combo Water/Flying.

So.. what are you talking about?

CAH

Calm And Hyper
I wouldn't say most. Only Gyarados, Pelipper and Mantine. Thats only like three pokemon (not including their evolution line).

Well, for me it depends.

For example, I wouldn't have both Feraligatr and Octillery on the same team because their typing is exactly the same, but I would have no problem with, say, Kingdra and Lanturn since they're weaknesses and resistances are different despite them both being waters.

This is how I do things as well. I try to use things that I like or things that I've never used before ( I refuse to use things like unknown, qwilfish, pachirisu and any other practically useless pokemon however). I don't mind if types clash a little, but like AlCario I wouldn't use two things of the exact same typing. I do try to make my team balanced, but its no big deal to me if one or two types are the same.

rook09

Of science.
sometimes i will not have same type pokemon on the same time, but others I'm not bothered, like my shown party, which have types all linked in someway, were as my other party, i can't stand having the same types. Don't know why.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
I've got two steel types and two bug types. They have different purposes and different weaknesses overall, plus the way they function is very different as well. I've often though about using dual type Pokemon so that I represent as many types as I can, but that would be improbable.

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
I have 6 ice types. I think we're on totaly different ends of the spectrum. However, having diversity adds.. uhm.. ease? I suppose? *Shrugs* No idea on the particular adj., but monotyping seems much more of a pokemon thing to do. *nods* Curse Ash and his different types of pokemon.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Am I the only one who absolutely and totally detests having two Pokemon of the same type no matter what?

Seriously. I can't stand having both Swampert and Camerupt on the same team even though I'm a fan of both Pokemon. I have never used a Gyrados because I'm afraid that it will unbalance my team by having two lying types in, it and my one who knows Fly. I can't even use both Golem and Aggron on the same team.

Sounds like you have issues.

Missingno.Fan

I try not to have two of the same type on my team unless its something like I have a Machamp and I have a Poliwrath that I use for water attacks

It doesn't really matter to me, but I usually don't end up having a team with more than two of the same types. If I have two Pokemon with the same type but they have a different secondary type from each other, then I might use one of them for the type that they both have, and the other mainly for their secondary type.

Or if I had two with the same type, they'd typically be stronger in a certain stat than the other one, like one being mainly physical and the other being special.

W.T.

Donw with CIPHET!
When I was writing Old With A Dash Of New (my magnum opus challenge, featuring 1000 trainers), I had several OCD tendencies like this. Occasionally I was content with featuring two of the same types on the same team if their roles and movepools were different enough, but for the most part I just had to let it go.

In addition, I had this weird disorder where I had to put groups (Ludicolo and Shiftry, Purugly and Skuntank, all the Eeveelutions, all the starters) near each other or everything would tip out of balance.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin

Lol, I have the same problem too. I do my best to prevent more than one type appearing in each of my teams. XD