• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Overpowering Writer's Block

el_toro

Superfly
for my book, if I have writer's block, I look at random details I've added to see if any plots can come out of them. I try and make 'filler' plots so everything isn't rushed, and that can help get rid of writer's block too. I still get it though, so I wait a week or so, and try to brainstorm.

Same here except I do something differently. I would just read over what I had written and try to get back in the mood. Usually reading over what you have written so far will get you in that same state of mind that you had previous to getting writer's block. It helps for me especially if I've taken a few days off of writing and I've completely forgotten what the current chapter was about or what part of the chapter I was stuck on.

Matt Silver

Rest My Chemistry
When I get Writer's Block, which happens a lot and lasts a while (I remember my 7 Month block) I usually just listen to music. Now, with some songs, I picture a scene (Dramatic, Romatic, Comedy etc) of my fic that can go with it, so when I write, I can hear the song as I do it (I remember writing a great scene in a previous fic by listening to The Strokes' 'Reptila').

I also do a bit of thinking by just blocking out all other noises (TV, family etc) and sitting there, all relaxed and stuff.
I agree with most of the advice given in the posts, except MistyLover's "Do One-Shots!", which I think are kinda pointless. Well, each to his own.

See yall

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
The part about listening to music is so so very true. Whenever I listen to my favourite songs, my imagination just goes click, and I am flooded with ideas.

Arcanine Royale

Writers block = laziness. If you train your mind to believe this, writers block is no longer a factor. Just write... If its crap its crap. Harry Potter's first draft was piece of crap and we all know it, so is every other single first draft in the world.

If that doesn't work, maybe write a random scene with your character and another character from a different fic or original work or even a friend you know. Or just work on something else...

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Well, if this is asking for a cure for writer's block, it's futile; as long as there are writers, there will be writer's block. However, this isn't the case and I always wanted to write this so here's some advice of my own.

I usually write half a chapter of any fic that springs to mind, or try and do a spider diagram of an idea. This helps me get the plot down, the characters and basically just throw ideas on there. So far, I plan on using three of these simultaneously for a Pokemon, a Digimon and a Yu-Gi-Oh! fic each.

When I run out of inspiration, I turn to fics in a similar genre and try a similar approach to their writing, or at least note little tics here and there. I don't full-out plagarise (I was the first to notice a case of plagarism and got the thread locked and the starter banned so to plagarise would be hypocritical), I just look at it as a well-done example of a fic and I suddenly feel new passion for writing.

Dragonfree

Just me
I just got myself out of the biggest writer's block ever by killing off an innocent bystander. What this basically did was boost my own personal interest level in what I was writing and I found it extremely effective, although that was probably mostly because I'm obsessed with death and somebody dying can pretty much make anything interesting to me. *shrugs*

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
Lol. Tell me that was a fictional bystander and you're not wanted for murder somewhere. xD

Anyway my method is to keep writing. ... just... chug along, I guess.. You can fix it all and make it pretty later. D:

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
WHat a Writer's Block forum without me? Lol hey peoples!!
1. Eat
2. Watch TV
3. Draw
4. Dream
5. Discuss with people
6. Research on the subject
7. Write write write!!
=]

Orange_Flaaffy

Jello Pokéballs
I agree that writers block is a lot of the time just being lazy. Often it is something we get when the scene we write does not feel 'perfect' the moment that we write it.
The thing is, nothing has to be 'perfect' the first time, and not everything is going to feel like that amazing feeling you get sometimes when the characters really come alive and start having you write things faster than your hand can keep up with ;).

The key about writers block and killing it faster is not to let it stop you. That is what It wants you to do. If you let it stop you it is amazing how fast a day without writing can grow to a month and then a year etc.
Even pro. writers have slow days but what keeps them publishing books is not some magic wonderful trick, only the fact that they don't quit becuase of it :D.

Ash_Junior

Irredeemable Nerd
I doubt this should be her but, meh.

1) Don't get it.

QFT, just not the way you meant.

if you don't get where you were going with something, just go back and
rethink it. Just read back through your fic, find something that you wrote back then but something you wrote later changed, and FIND a way to make it fit.

QFT=Quoted For Truth

:D

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I started beating mine today. I planned out where I wanted my story to go and I've already wrote two of the last chapters now. Started writing last night, went to bed at half 12 and woke up and wrote the rest, and another one.

It seems better. I know what's happening to certain characters, I can use flashbacks to remind myself of scenes I want to do and how I should do them.

It's given me more of an incentive to finish the fic.

Iota